New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Cool looking magical Harmonica idea/pic needed

Another thread in the 5e forum got me thinking about magical focuses and my Bard. I want mine to use some kind of deathly cool small instrument like a harmonica for a focus.

Not only are harmonicas cool, but they're small and more in line with my character's personality. Only trouble is they seem to be more of a modern invention.

Anyone have any ideas better for an elf Bard than a modern looking one made of Quaggoth bones?

2. - Top - End - #2

MindFlayer

Default Re: Cool looking magical Harmonica idea/pic needed

Most closely related instrument to the harmonica is probably the Chinese "Sheng", but as it has resonator pipes it's a bit bulkier. For a small, hand-held instrument maybe a fife? An elf playing an ocarina is probably too much of a cliché these days.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Most closely related instrument to the harmonica is probably the Chinese "Sheng", but as it has resonator pipes it's a bit bulkier. For a small, hand-held instrument maybe a fife? An elf playing an ocarina is probably too much of a cliché these days.
    Thank you very much! I don't think I'd cheeze out the group I'm in with an homage to Zelda.

Reading on the ocarina led me to a Chinese instrument called a xun which references being made of bone. With DM permission, I'd totally give my character an ocarina / xun hybrid made from a pirtion of a beast's femur or maybe even skull or talons.

My DM is a musical fellow, I am not so he may be impressed if I lean anything meaningful here.

4. - Top - End - #4

Check this out!

This Teak one is pretty sweet. Maybe with my limited Photoshop skills I can give it a sharper edge and turn it a bone finish type color. As it though it isn't bad at all.

Thanks for leading me there.