Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default {Risus} Dark Sun

A man in tattered clothing, with a rag wrapped over his eyes, stood next to a muscular man wearing the garments of a Fire cleric. They were near the middle of a long line of people waiting to enter the House of Water and Fire in the city of Urik, on the Tablelands of Athas. Just ahead of them were a pair of half-giants carrying big empty pottery water jars, and ahead of the half-giants were a six-foot-tall mantis-like creature and a very short half-naked man with teeth filed to points Ė a thri-kreen and a halfling.

From the back of the line, a dozen people behind them, they heard grumblings of discontent. Turning to look, they saw a templar of King Hamanu accompanied by her retinue. The templar was a tall dark-skinned woman draped in a sheer linen toga and carrying a wooden staff with obsidian blades mounted into its upper end. The wood of the staff was dark grey, probably iron wood from Nibenay. The retinue were a pair of muscular dwarf slaves carrying bone cudgels, which looked like human thighbones. The two dwarfs were shoving aside the humans in the line, making room for the templar to pass up toward the front.

ďGet aside,Ē one of the dwarfs growled to the blind man and the cleric.

Spoiler
    Show
    Please post characters and ooc comments here.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-07-18 at 02:29 PM.
    On a pause from play by post.
    "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what youíre thinking now. Youíre thinking 'Oh my god, thatís treating other people with respect gone mad!'" - Neil Gaiman
    DTRPG and itch
    The Knife - Fusils, Swords, and Alchemy! Long reign the Queen!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: {Risus} Dark Sun

Blind Haviland stepped away when the dwarves came through, neatly avoiding their rough handling. However, as one of the dwarves passed, his thigh-bone club held at ready slipped a bit, tangling into his companion's legs ...

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Blind Haviland is attempting to use just a touch of telekinesis to cause the dwarves to stumble into the half-giants. Because he's a bit of a sh*t-stirrer. [roll]4d6[/roll]
    Last edited by ArchivesRat; 2019-07-18 at 02:05 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

"As you wish." the Monk replies as he steps aside. He takes the time to look over the woman, trying to assess her strength and general attitude.

Spoiler
    Show

ArchivesRat. Your roll is broken. Also you didn't post your character stuff in the OOC.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-07-18 at 11:30 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Blind Haviland twitches his mind at the club loosely held by the nearer dwarf.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jedi Mind Tricks (4d6)[6][2][6][1](15)
    The club slips and tumbles from the dwarf's hand, tangling in the legs of his comrade. Both minions collide and topple into the calves of the nearer half-giant, who unthinkingly kicks backward, sending one of the dwarfs sprawling at the templar's feet and the other one right into Haviland himself. Distracted, Haviland lets go of the psychic connection that he has been using to see from the eyes of the man standing behind him - his world goes dark. He becomes acutely conscious of the smells of sweat and dirt and of the ragged breathing of the overheated people in the water line. Also, more importantly, the sweaty weight of squirming dwarf that is cursing and using Haviland's knees to pull up from the ground, making Haviland stumble as he tries to keep his feet.

Glass notes the templar carries herself arrogantly, stepping firmly with her head held high. She looks like a pretty standard Spellcasting Warrior Vassal of King Hamanu (3) or (4).
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-07-18 at 03:19 PM.
    "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what youíre thinking now. Youíre thinking 'Oh my god, thatís treating other people with respect gone mad!'" - Neil Gaiman
    DTRPG and itch

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

"Careful there friend." the Monk says and puts a hand to the older man's back to help steady him.

6. - Top - End - #6

OldWizardGuy

The old blind man smiles wanly. "Thank you, friend. It's hard enough waiting through these lines without having to deal with such ... rudeness. Tell me, are you a local here?"

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Having caused a distraction, Haviland is going to brush against the mind of one of the dwarves. He's mainly being paranoid. What do they know of their employer? Are they looking for someone?

7. - Top - End - #7

Blind Haviland reaches out, flipping through the minds around him like pages of an esoteric book, trying to find the ... right ... one. A dwarf! But not one of the templar's dwarfs, this is one standing near the entrance of the House, luxuriating in the cool damp air that drifts there. Reaching again, Haviland finds a swaggering bully of a dwarf, whose eyes reveal a bone cudgel being snatched up from the ground. The dwarf feels a sharp pain in his ankle as the arrogant templar kicks him. "Clumsy!" she snarls. "Step more carefully."

The dwarf simmers with resentment. He does not like the templar but he is only a slave and does not get to pick his master.
    DTRPG and itch

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The Monk looks down at his colorful pale red, orange, and yellow robes and gives a short laugh at the question. "Ah, excuse me friend. If you could see me you would not have had to ask. No, no I am not a local. My name is Glass, I come from a far-away Fire Temple. I'm afraid I stand out here, at least a bit." He says all this, clearly in good spirits.

9. - Top - End - #9

OldWizardGuy

The old man's face crinkles as he returns the laugh. "Ah, then we're erdlu of a feather then, aren't we? I just blew in with the last caravan, and I'm afraid I stand out more than a bit. Perhaps we'd both better keep our heads down. I can smell the haughtiness coming off that Templar."

10. - Top - End - #10

The tall templar turned abruptly, moving her spear from vertical to halfway pointed toward Glass. "What did you say ... priest?" her voice softened as she recognized the monk's attire. She halfway smiled at him, looking him over.
    DTRPG and itch

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

There is only the most imperceptible tell that Glass has shifted the exact positioning of his feet and tensed the right muscles in preparation of a fight as he answers the templar, "I said I come from a fire temple quite a ways away. And I believe the blind man said you smell hot. I guess what they say about loses one sense heightening your others is true afterall." and he flashes her a friendly smile to distract her and diffuse the situation.

Beautiful Glass-maker: (3d6)[4][1][4](9)

12. - Top - End - #12

OldWizardGuy

Nothing wrong with her hearing, it seems.

Haviland hunches down over his staff, looking old and harmless. Eh? What was that, young one? Who are you talking to ... oh, the young lady. Good morning to you, good woman. Forgive my young friend for not introducing himself immediately, he's being so kind to help an old blind man through this water line."

Spoiler: Haviland
    Show
    Old Wise Man (3): (3d6)[13]

13. - Top - End - #13

The templar raises an eyebrow briefly, stops smiling, and crosses her arms. She stares at Glass, studying his face. "That's a nice smile," she replies. "You should save it for friends..."

Hearing what Haviland has to say, she shrugs. "Then such a nice young man won't mind letting his betters ahead," she says. "Dwarfs, heel." She steps smoothly in front of Haviland - right behind the half giants, who are grunting at each other in their bestial language. Although she is tall for a human, the top of her head barely reaches the bottom of the half-naked half giants' shoulder blades.

The templar now faces forward in line and ignores the two "inferiors," though her dwarfs keep a careful eye on them.
    DTRPG and itch

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Glass just gives a shrug at this as the templar passes.

15. - Top - End - #15

OldWizardGuy

Haviland lets a breath out slooooowly. His tongue can get him into more trouble than his mind can get him out of.

Granted, he could probably defeat the swaggering young templar, but what good would it do? He'd like to stop running for a while.

So he holds his tongue, for now. And he pulls back his mental fingers. No telling what skills the templar possesses. He's pretty sure she isn't buying his helpless old man act, and she'd act if she felt him prying at her ego boundaries.

16. - Top - End - #16

Uneventfully, the line goes forward step by step and eventually the handsome monk and the weathered blind man enter the House of Water and Fire. Heat shimmers from the roof and moisture beads the doorframe. Inside it is cool and damp. Water drips down from the ceiling and ripples down the windowless walls and the pillars of the wide open room. The room is about sixty feet by sixty feet. Flames glow and sizzle in brackets on the walls, giving flickering dim orange light. The water on the walls fills a trough that runs all around the room, from one side of the entrance doorway to the other. The trough is interrupted by a narrow doorway at the far side of the room.

In the middle of the room is a dais two steps high and ten feet across, and on the dais are two bone chairs. A priest of Fire in pale red and orange robes sits in one chair. A priest of Water in pale blue and green robes sits in the other chair. They have their hands raised and they are chanting different chants. The water dripping from ceiling and the flames glowing on the walls seem to pulse in response to their voices.

Those who entered before our pair of heroes are standing at the trough along the walls, dipping water jars to fill them. The half giants are drinking by stooping to cup water from the trough in their hands, then noisily slurping. The thri-kreen is crouched with its limbs bent at acute angles. The tall templar stands with her arms crossed, watching the dwarfs fill jars for her and place the jars back in bags carried over their shoulders.

"Welcome to the House," says an acolyte standing near the doorway. He bows. "Where are your jars? Where are your bits? Would you like to purchase jars?"
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-07-24 at 08:35 AM.
    DTRPG and itch

17. - Top - End - #17

OldWizardGuy

Haviland smiles, "My jar is, alas, smashed to pieces. I'll need to purchase one from the temple."

His hand darts into his tattered robes and come out with a handful of ceramic bits. Legacy of a few dune bandits who sought to have a little sadistic fun with an old man out in the wastes. They hadn't been carrying much coin, but Haviland still did not regret leaving them sleeping on the sand.

"I should have enough to cover myself and the young man beside me."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, that's very kind of you. And fortuitous as I have a few jars" he pulls out two glass jars (one tinted blue the other green) in a way that it's clear he has more on him and is just using these two to demonstrate, "but no coin. I was hoping a fellow devotee of the flames would show kindness on me to tell the truth." At this he gives the old man an appreciative smile and one at the fire priest too, not sure what kind of reaction his words will get.

19. - Top - End - #19

The acolyte smiles: "I'll trade you the water you want, for one of those jars. You must be a master glass maker." He accepts Haviland's bits and gently takes the blind man's elbow to guide him to the trough. As he goes over, Haviland again experiences the bizarre sensation of viewing himself through the eyes of those whose visual cortexes he skims across.
    = = =
    As they fill their water jars, the half giants and the templar leave. The thri-kreen chirps at them incomprehensibly, then leaves as well. Not clear why it's in a city or how it's been tolerated without being crushed like a bug.
    = = =
    What do they do once their jars have been filled?
    DTRPG and itch

20. - Top - End - #20

OldWizardGuy

Haviland rubs at his hidden eye sockets. Seeing through thri-kreen eyes always gave him a headache. He turned to the acolyte.

"I've just rolled in with the last caravan, and it will be a while before the next caravan is ready to leave. I suppose I should find lodging. Do you know of anyone willing to take a lodger? I'm willing to pay."
    Last edited by ArchivesRat; 2019-07-25 at 05:45 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Blind Haviland The acolyte replies thoughtfully, "there's a few houses near here that take guests for a few bits a night. Or for work. I'm sure you, master glass maker, would be welcome at any house. Including this one." He waves his hand toward the back door of the big wet room. "And for charity you might get this old man in as a guest of your own. At least here."
    DTRPG and itch

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

"It would be an honor to have some of my works housed here. What do you say friend?" Glass says with a genuine smile and claps a hand on the old blind man's shoulder.

23. - Top - End - #23

OldWizardGuy

The old man nods heavily. "Oh, aye, that would be lovely. And I'm sure I can find a way to be useful to you while I'm here. Been traveling with the caravans for years now, and I've picked up sorts of skills to make up for my lack." He gestures towards his blindfold.

24. - Top - End - #24

"Good," said the acolyte, "welcome to the house." He led them across the room through the narrow dark doorway, into a cool dim hall lit by sunlight reflected from high windows off the ceiling. Glass appreciated the powerful fire magic that was keeping the building cool - so much heat being moved around. No wonder the roof of the building was shimmering-hot.

The acolyte showed them to a room with four sleeping pallets, one of which had gear scattered on it - a short sheathed sword (its hilt, partly wrapped in leather, otherwise showed bare yellowed bone that might also compose the rest of the weapon), a breastplate and shield of deep black kank carapace, a nearly folded linen blanket. "Not sure where your room-mate went," said the acolyte. "Her name is Vanjil."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    What do you do for the rest of the day?
    DTRPG and itch

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Glass says the old man, "Well friend I doubt it will be entertaining for you, but you are welcome to join me while I make some glasswork. In exchange for the company and maybe a story if you feel, I could make you something as well."

26. - Top - End - #26

OldWizardGuy

"Oh, an old man like me requires little entertainment. Just do as you will, and I'll be happy in your company."

Spoiler: Haviland
    Show
    Haviland will spend a couple of hours meditating under the guise of napping, regaining his mental stamina from the trip. After that he'll be paranoid for a bit and send out his mental fingers, looking for anyone with hostile intent or anyone thinking dark thoughts about "blind Haviland."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Glass shrugs at this and goes off to find some sand to make glass out of and makes several jars for the water house, a few replacement weapons for some he's used, and a cane for the old man.

In case I need to roll...
    Beautiful Glass-maker (3d6)[2][1][6](9)

28. - Top - End - #28

While Glass was outside gathering sand, and Haviland was meditating, a young elven woman entered the room wrapped in a linen towel. Haviland vaguely felt her presence and her intent to dress and gather her gear. He saw himself through her eyes in fleeting glimpses - she was paying him no attention really, being focused on readying for action. What action? He would need to break his meditation to uncover that, and run the risk of her noticing his mental presence.
    DTRPG and itch

29. - Top - End - #29

OldWizardGuy

Haviland can smell the young elf. Through another's eyes, he can see her preperations. At the moment, she seems no threat. Elven minds are tricky things, loaded with twists that Haviland is loath to wind his way through. Best to leave her alone until she shows more of her intentions.

He stirs himself and wanders over to the area where Glass was working and shoos a venturesome lizard away with a tap of his cane. He settles in, listening carefully to the sounds of the temple. Once Glass comes back, Haviland will tell him the story of the time he was captured by a gith tribe and talked them into making him their leader. Would have worked out fine if they hadn't insisted he marry the old chief's daughter.

And, of course, he will keep an ear out for any sudden moves from the young elf woman.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

At the end of the old man's tale Glass thanks him for the story and present him with the glass cane, "I hope you will consider this a fair exchange for your tale and perhaps a few more." he says with warmth.