New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe at Comic Con (SDCC 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    For the most part. But sometimes because there are significant disconnects. Take Makkari and the Eternals (which started this subthread). The Eternals are ancient genetically engineered humans who basically serve as the foundation for all myths about the gods (yes, including Thor and the Asgardians and Hercules and the Greco-Roman pantheon---don't think about it too hard). Makkari is the source for Mercury, a white dude who runs fast, so I think you can understand why having a black female cast in the role would raise a few eyebrows (although I notice nobody seems to be bothered by the only black actress being typecast as a track star).

The fact that Marvel has hinted this is a reincarnation scenario gives me hope they're not following their occasionally tone-deaf ways, but we'll see.
    Borrows the logic from a twitter thread I saw earlier today. The problem with the Eternals is they lack a verb, and thus they lack a story.

It is the Eternals that gave us a Celestial, but what do the Eternals "do?" What is their action or linking verb that makes The Eternals have a story? Well this never occurred during Jack Kirby's run of The Eternals in the 1970s, and when Neil Gaiman relaunched The Eternals in the 00s the linking verb is memory, there story is about memory.

------

I would argue The Eternals is one of the marvel properties where there is the most flexibility to do whatever they want in the MCU even with characters such as Makkari / Mercury.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I mean because it's the latter of those two. Oh blabhablabhablh the Russo's are terrible directors bladiblah. Look I disagree with some the decisions they made in Infinity Wargame but they're GOOD directors. You can dislike them without being punk ass little bitches.
    I strongly dislike the Russos, but I have to admit they have talent, and some of their best scenes is where they are trying to capture an emotion in a very short amount period of time for you do not have the time to tell a longer story and thus you must capture an emotion or sentiment between characters with a glance, or a 60 second moment, and so on. You must tell a story in such a short amount period of time, with only a few beats...and in this type of environment the Russos excel.

Yet I hate their MCU movies the most
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2019-07-22 at 04:06 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

I don't really understand that though. What's to hate?

3. - Top - End - #93

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    By the same token, trying to tell me a character called "Motoko Kusanagi" looks like Scarlet Johanssen stretches my disbelief juuuuust a little bit.
    Well, that's because they did it wrong. It should have been 'this is a character called "Motoko Kusanagi" who is a repurposed sex-bot that looks like Scarlet Johanssen', which would've been far more in tune with the source material.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    I usually voice my opinion on a forum when I got nothing better to do and/or it's about a subject that interests me, has interested me in the past and/or has the possibility of interesting me in the future...

tl;dr: I don't need to feel strongly about something to post an opinion about it.

But since you apparently do... To use your own words: Does my apathy cause that strong of an emotion in you?
    You are kind of pissing on the parade.

I mean, this isn't even a discussion about something that is out and can be judged to be good or bad. This is a thread about the announcement of new upcoming films aimed at dans of the films and those who are looking forward at them.

And you take time out of your day to come and say "meh, I don't care"

I mean, what's your game here. Do you want us to debate you?

This isnt a discussion about the quality of out MCU movies. You clearly don't care about MCU, why do you follow their news and want to comment on their announcement?

If something brings you so much apathy in life, just.. Cut it out. Stop following about it for a while. The fact that you feel drawn in posting about something you clearly dislike kind of makes a case as to why you may dislike it. If you keep exposing yourself to everything Marvel, all the time, it's no wonder you become tired of it.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Who is this directed at?

6. - Top - End - #96

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Who is this directed at?
    Sorry I figured context would be enough. You.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Aside from discussions of their race or gender - which, yeah, moving away from Kirby's fairly homogeneous character designs is fine with me especially given the underlying theme - The Eternals has one of the strongest casts for any of these Marvel movies and someone whose proven herself be a pretty capable writer/director with Chloe Zhao. Which has moved me from being mildly curious based on my experience with the Gaiman run to genuinely interested to see what they're going to be doing with it. Also kind of in wonderment of what Disney's coffers are for casting, though that's nothing new.

The Eternals have been a heavily underutilized IP in Marvel Comics to say the least. They've so few comics and stories in general relating to them and zero depictions in other media that I think of, that this movie is really the first opportunity to create an impression on pop culture of what they are, how their characters can be characterized, and how an Eternals story will go.

I would've expected a Moon Knight, Elsa Bloodstone, or Wonder Man movie before an Eternals one just based on having name recognition and material to work with.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

I mean because it's the latter of those two. Oh blabhablabhablh the Russo's are terrible directors bladiblah. Look I disagree with some the decisions they made in Infinity Wargame but they're GOOD directors. You can dislike them without being punk ass little bitches.
    I think you can't possibly direct a superhero movie these days without a very vocal faction of the internet attacking you.

I honestly don't understand what about the Russo's would trigger this level of criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Short answer: Yes, people care, and it's generally not going to be "because they're racist" or "hate progress" or whatever.

I think for all characters there's a sliding scale. The scale isn't about representation or anything, but how iconic the character is. How set in stone is the image of the character is in peoples' heads for MOST characters (some characters have a racial identity that is vital to their story, hence why the clamoring for Iron Fist to be recast as an Asian actor was stupid, but that's few and far between).
    Funny vocal criticism and racial topics are often found together

I think you are overly valuing certain elements of character's stories or background if you think Iron Fist somehow must be characterized as a white person.

You could have had Danny Rand be an Asian guy and not have to really change much in the entire Netflix Series. His whiteness did play into tropes about white savior tropes and stereotypes about privilege, but I haven't heard anybody claim that this was a good thing.

Really, the only MCU characters where their human race is essential to their background are Black Panther or The Mandarin. In the case of the latter, they used a white actor and subverted the villains race to make a point.

I don't see why you can't consciously go and subvert any character by changing the race around and seeing how it affects the background and story. If audiences are going to be uneasy about it, the right movie can just play on that unease to make the story work.

When they do black Superman (which last I checked is in development), it's going to work just fine. All they have to do is change enough about him that it seems like a slightly different character and most people will be able to enjoy the film if its a good story (and its an opportunity to do something they haven't done with the main Superman, in the comics black Superman became President).

I don't think they even have to change anything about James Bond to have a him played by a black actor, it just has to be a good James Bond film and the actor has to convince us he has the right James Bond swagger. Arguably, you can say James Bond is clearly a guy from a certain sort of white English background, but who cares, it can still work.

Borrows the logic from a twitter thread I saw earlier today. The problem with the Eternals is they lack a verb, and thus they lack a story.

It is the Eternals that gave us a Celestial, but what do the Eternals "do?" What is their action or linking verb that makes The Eternals have a story?
    I have no idea where this idea is coming from, what it had to do with previous movies, or what you are going for right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    You're right. I'm so glad everyone will be OK with Jason Statham playing Luke Cage and Ryan Gossling as next Black Panther.
    I'm personally looking forward to Liam Neeson's portrayal of Black Widow.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    You are kind of pissing on the parade.

I mean, this isn't even a discussion about something that is out and can be judged to be good or bad. This is a thread about the announcement of new upcoming films aimed at dans of the films and those who are looking forward at them.

And you take time out of your day to come and say "meh, I don't care"

I mean, what's your game here. Do you want us to debate you?

This isnt a discussion about the quality of out MCU movies. You clearly don't care about MCU, why do you follow their news and want to comment on their announcement?

If something brings you so much apathy in life, just.. Cut it out. Stop following about it for a while. The fact that you feel drawn in posting about something you clearly dislike kind of makes a case as to why you may dislike it. If you keep exposing yourself to everything Marvel, all the time, it's no wonder you become tired of it.
    I have no goal. I post because it's easy and helps me kill time. That's all.

Fortunately, there's no rule saying only positive opinions are allowed, as that would make most threads and discussions in general rather boring, if not downright pointless.

I don't know why my taste or distaste for something bothers you so much. I'm just a random nobody in the internet, after all... But if it truly does, you can always simply skip my posts.
    Homebrew Stuff:

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I think it's a lot easier if the character is American (or another country with a lot of racial diversity). Casting a Japanese dude as Tony Stark wouldn't have been jarring to me at all, as long as he acted in a manner consistent with the character. Heck, that's what Samuel L. Jackson did with Nick Fury. He took the character and made it his own.

For me it goes both ways. I would have looked askance at a Thor who is introduced as the literal Norse god and have him NOT look Nordic. By the same token, trying to tell me a character called "Motoko Kusanagi" looks like Scarlet Johanssen stretches my disbelief juuuuust a little bit.

Then again, Heimdall wound up not bothering me at all. So...meh. Once again, the characterization is the thing. In the end, I was much more offended by the Ghost in the Shell movie murdering the source material than I was by the casting choices.

When it comes to Natalie Portman as Thor, I don't care about her being female. I care that she hasn't been in the franchise for 6 freaking years* and her character hasn't done anything to me that says "Yes, this is the next Thor". Whereas Tessa Thompson and Valkyrie have very definitely earned that right, both by involvement in the movies and by character development. I'm not annoyed that we're getting a female Thor - I'm annoyed that we're getting the WRONG female Thor.

*yes, I know she had a small role in Endgame. They could have been using old footage for all I could tell.
    For the record, Nick Fury was black in the Ultimate universe. In fact, he was specifically patterned after samuel l jackson. So while it was a bit of a jolt, it wasnt as huge of a one as you might expect. For me, my biggest jolt was seeing michael clark duncan as kingpin in the daredevil film. I didnt even know that in daredevil kingpin was played by a black guy so when i first saw him I was kinda ticked, but as I watched the rest of the film, I got used to it and even enjoyed the portrayal. I mean it helped that I absolutely LOVE his acting, but even so, it was a shocking and random feeling change no matter how perfectly he fits the physical shape of comic fisk.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, we all know Scarlett Johanssen has the range to play all of the Eternals at the same time, so honestly she should've been their first choice.

Honestly though, I think the Eternals are my big "question mark" property. I hear "Eternals", I go "Who?"
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2019-07-22 at 07:41 PM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    For the record, Nick Fury was black in the Ultimate universe. In fact, he was specifically patterned after samuel l jackson. So while it was a bit of a jolt, it wasnt as huge of a one as you might expect. For me, my biggest jolt was seeing michael clark duncan as kingpin in the daredevil film. I didnt even know that in daredevil kingpin was played by a black guy so when i first saw him I was kinda ticked, but as I watched the rest of the film, I got used to it and even enjoyed the portrayal. I mean it helped that I absolutely LOVE his acting, but even so, it was a shocking and random feeling change no matter how perfectly he fits the physical shape of comic fisk.
    More on this, I remember when the Sammy J as Fury reveal happened I was kind of disappointed. Not because I donít think Sammy J would do a bad job, heís awesome in everything not titled Star Wars. But because I was familiar with both 616 Fury and Ultimates Fury. And 616 Fury was a much better and more interesting character than the Ultimates version who is stupid enough to make fun of Banner right in front of him and is generally pointlessly a jerk because he was a part of Ultimates Avengers where everyone was a jerk.

I really did not want a character I grew up with portrayed in the big movie franchise in the worst possible light.

But other than casting SLJ heís nothing like Ultimate Fury.

As to the whole race issue, honestly, Iíve always felt (in comics) thereís a range of times when race swapped characters worked and didnít. Miles Morales worked. Because Peter was still a thing in the 616 version so all his old fans still had Peter to go to. Plus Ultimates Peter was given a beautiful send off that maybe felt a little forced but still wrapped up his character arc fairly well. Falcon as Cap I thought went pretty well as well. I may have preferred Bucky, but Sam stepping up felt right for his character.

Iron Heart was terrible. She took up the mantle abruptly, replacing the main continuity Tony Stark who was not given a satisfying conclusion to his character at all. Mind you because of how horrible he turned in Civil War I donít know how one could even give him a satisfying end.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Funny vocal criticism and racial topics are often found together

I think you are overly valuing certain elements of character's stories or background if you think Iron Fist somehow must be characterized as a white person.

You could have had Danny Rand be an Asian guy and not have to really change much in the entire Netflix Series. His whiteness did play into tropes about white savior tropes and stereotypes about privilege, but I haven't heard anybody claim that this was a good thing.
    The IF Netflix series was only Iron Fist in name only, so of course it doesn't work as well.

In the comics, his "whiteness" is as important to his character as Luke Cage's "blackness", and is the reason those two characters specifically play so well off of each other. Danny is well meaning but sheltered and benefits, largely unknowingly, from his privilege and works very hard to be a good ally to people of cultures not as privileged as his.

Really, the only MCU characters where their human race is essential to their background are Black Panther or The Mandarin. In the case of the latter, they used a white actor and subverted the villains race to make a point.
    And it was trash when they "subverted" mandarin, so now they need to retcon it for the Shang-Chi movie.

I don't see why you can't consciously go and subvert any character by changing the race around and seeing how it affects the background and story. If audiences are going to be uneasy about it, the right movie can just play on that unease to make the story work.

When they do black Superman (which last I checked is in development), it's going to work just fine. All they have to do is change enough about him that it seems like a slightly different character and most people will be able to enjoy the film if its a good story (and its an opportunity to do something they haven't done with the main Superman, in the comics black Superman became President).
    For a What IF story, sure. But when you say the word "Superman" it brings to light a certain character, attitude, and appearance. Changing one without changing the other two is tokenism, and changing the other two at the same time makes a different character, in which case why not just make a movie about a different character (like Steel, the canon 'black Superman')?

This is why Miles Morales and Jaime Reyes work, but similar character changes don't.

I don't think they even have to change anything about James Bond to have a him played by a black actor, it just has to be a good James Bond film and the actor has to convince us he has the right James Bond swagger. Arguably, you can say James Bond is clearly a guy from a certain sort of white English background, but who cares, it can still work.
    Nah, 007 has long been fanon'd as being a title, not a person. Last i heard they'r emaking the new 007 a woman, which will work just fine too. Same as the others mentioned, treating Spider-man and Blue beetle as titles, a series of INDIVIDUALS rather than changing a character's appearance for no reason.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

I strongly dislike the Russos, but I have to admit they have talent, and some of their best scenes is where they are trying to capture an emotion in a very short amount period of time for you do not have the time to tell a longer story and thus you must capture an emotion or sentiment between characters with a glance, or a 60 second moment, and so on. You must tell a story in such a short amount period of time, with only a few beats...and in this type of environment the Russos excel.

Yet I hate their MCU movies the most
    1) I dislike the Russo Brothers even if I admit their talent as directors.
    2) I hate their movies, but is that a fault of the directors or the screenplay with its plot

I want to keep 1 and 2 seperate for I think they are very separate. But I find the 4 Russo movies in the MCU in the bottom 25% of the MCU movies from my personal enjoyment place.

I do not have enough energy (at this moment) to describe #1 so I am going to recruit 5 minutes of Patrick Willems explaining his frustration with the Russos and I add on to it. Watch this video from 10:00 to 15:50

I may write something later with my complaints but understand my complaints have a 60 to 80% overlap with Patrick.

Also understand that while I do not like the Russo movies I also am not a big fan of Ensemble movies for I feel often the more characters you put into a screen the less risks, panache, and animating energy you can derive from individual characters for the script is just too cluttered. You could not tell a Thor Ragnarok story if you have Thor+Valkyrie+Hulk+Loki+8 more Avengers, it just does not work, too many people in the story.

So if you have to do an Ensemble movie with 12 characters the Russos actually do it kind of decently, but I still find this a fault of the product (huge Ensembles) and trying to fit a mold I just do not think works / I do not personally like.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    And it was trash when they "subverted" mandarin, so now they need to retcon it for the Shang-Chi movie.
    Note they kept the doors open for a return of the Mandarin all the way back in 2013 (Iron Man 3 came out in 2013) with All Hail the King (2014) short that I mention everyone should watch on youtube for we need more Trevor Slattery in our lives to remember people can be so freaking dumb.

But Kevin Feige has been saying since 2014 we may see the Real Mandarin, and in those same interviews he also hinted we may see a return of The Red Skull 5 years ago. Amazingly that did happen in Infinity War and now we are getting the Real Mandarin in 2021.

My point here is not trying to say everything is plotted out years in advance but quite the opposite, for the MCU is a thing that constantly rewrites it plans and brings backs ideas later in movies even if they were abandoned in the planning stage for earlier movies.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2019-07-22 at 08:22 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    For me, my biggest jolt was seeing michael clark duncan as kingpin in the daredevil film. I didnt even know that in daredevil kingpin was played by a black guy so when i first saw him I was kinda ticked, but as I watched the rest of the film, I got used to it and even enjoyed the portrayal. I mean it helped that I absolutely LOVE his acting, but even so, it was a shocking and random feeling change no matter how perfectly he fits the physical shape of comic fisk.
    Here's the thing. Although, you were absolutely shocked and felt like that Kingpin was out of left field, you let the actor's stellar acting sell you.

How many other characters is it possible to have a cross-racial portrayal on the basis of sheer acting talent alone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

To me, and in actual fact, the MCU is a parallel universe of it's own and Marvel comics has established over the decades of What If? and alternative world stories that known characters can be of a different gender, race, sexual orientation, or morality even. They've done this numerous times with the MCU already, it's not like they started with everyone's favourite Superhero and fandom's sacred cow, Makkari.

Anyways, it's different from replacing a 616 character with someone else at any rate, as it's a different interpretation of a character for a different narrative and medium.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I am sort of at the point, I'll be honest, where I sort of don't care anymore. I never get any representation (note complete lack of Lichs in more or less anything; hell, when I have t cite Madoka Magica as being the closest thing to representation I get...)
    But what about Johnny Depp? He has clearly moved over to lichdom and he is still getting work.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    To me, and in actual fact, the MCU is a parallel universe of it's own and Marvel comics has established over the decades of What If? and alternative world stories that known characters can be of a different gender, race, sexual orientation, or morality even. They've done this numerous times with the MCU already, it's not like they started with everyone's favourite Superhero and fandom's sacred cow, Makkari.

Anyways, it's different from replacing a 616 character with someone else at any rate, as it's a different interpretation of a character for a different narrative and medium.
    It is. But thereís also the somewhat unfortunate side effect of bleed from movie to comic. What is going on in the movies effects what will happen in the comics. Gwen Stacy became popular again in the movies? Then a bunch of otherworld Gwen Stacy characters pop up and start crossing over with main continuity Peter Parker (bonus points because -like the movie- these characters act nothing like the original Gwen). The Guardians of the Galaxy movies turn Drax back into being an idiot, even though his transition to a serious character was one of the best character changes in comic history? Then comic Drax loses some IQ points for a few runs.

Which makes Ragnarok a bit of a double-edged sword for me. On the one hand I hate that they butchered the single greatest moment in all Thor comics. But on the other they turned Skurge into such a tool that no one really wants to read about him. So his character has not been brought back and changed to that thing in the comics.

But there is potential for some good to come of it too, just so I don't sound too pessimistic. Movie Nebula is a much better character than comic Nebula. I'd be perfectly fine with that characterization coming into the comics.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2019-07-22 at 10:02 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    On the one hand I hate that they butchered the single greatest moment in all Thor comics.
    Which Moment?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Skurge's last stand with a pair of machine guns, I assume?

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Which Moment?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Skurge's last stand with a pair of machine guns, I assume?
    They sing no songs in Hel, nor do they celebrate heroes, for silent is that dismal realm and cheerless. But the story of Gjallerbru is whispered across the Nine Realms, and when a new arrival asks about the one to whom even Hela bows her head the answer is always the same. He stood alone at Gjallerbru and that is answer enough.

You have no idea how annoyed I was to see a character I love played by an actor I enjoy with an image directly out of my favorite comic in the trailers. Only to have him turned into a joke. And not even a good one.

Mind you I still really liked Ragnarok. But god that grated.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2019-07-22 at 09:27 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113

I hear that a lot about Ragnarok. "I loved it, but X sucked!"

24. - Top - End - #114
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

It was such a drastic departure in tone and content from the previous two Thor movies, that's probably inevitable. For me, the 'bit too far' punchline scene was Bruce faceplanting on the bridge before Hulking out - a serious dramatic moment and self-sacrifice undercut for slapstick comedy.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

I hear that a lot about Ragnarok. "I loved it, but X sucked!"
    It's a good comedy. Only it killed a lot of sacred cows to do it. The Warriors Three getting killed off. Skurge being... that. Turning Grandmaster from the great immortal gambler who always has an eye for the future into Jeff Goldblum. I just don't care about Grandmaster or the Warriors Three, while the Last Stand at Gjallerbru remains one of my favorite moments in all Marvel comics.

Then there's also the kind of strange tone if you really stop to think about it. When Heimdall dies Thor is an angry wreck vowing vengeance. When Loki "dies" the same. Thor is pretty consistently shown to be a very emotional and empathetic character. Except in Ragnarok, where I don't think he even noticed that the characters established to be his best friends way back in his first ever scene in the MCU got killed off. Which probably wasn't even a bad choice, Ragnarok was first and foremost a comedy. While GotG2 managed a balance of comedy with some heavy hitting drama that I personally liked, many didn't. That is hard to do without it seeming like the director is mocking people for experiencing loss.

But it does make the movie feel a bit emotionally hollow. But, better emotionally hollow and hilarious than just boring as the first two Thor movies were.

26. - Top - End - #116

Oh, I didn't even make it out of the intro before I twigged that Taika needed somebody telling him "No" fairly often. The part with Thor dangling from the chain. If you just told a joke 27 seconds ago, you do not repeat it to make sure people got that you told a joke. And it just kept going. The play with in the play was too long. Too much time making Skurge look like an ass. The time spent at Strange's waiting for the hammer to arrive could easily have been cut in half. More time on anything dramatic, like the brothers last chat with Odin or when they faced off against a sister they never knew they had. And that's just in the first, what, 30 minutes? Less?

27. - Top - End - #117

Oh, I didn't even make it out of the intro before I twigged that Taika needed somebody telling him "No" fairly often. The part with Thor dangling from the chain. If you just told a joke 27 seconds ago, you do not repeat it to make sure people got that you told a joke. And it just kept going. The play with in the play was too long. Too much time making Skurge look like an ass. The time spent at Strange's waiting for the hammer to arrive could easily have been cut in half. More time on anything dramatic, like the brothers last chat with Odin or when they faced off against a sister they never knew they had. And that's just in the first, what, 30 minutes? Less?
    Hard disagree on basically all of this. Given the way the hammer works it was Thor subtly messing up Strange's **** for being kinda rude. I found the jokes funny, and the proper length. I genuinely do not know who Skurge is beyond the guy we see in the movie.

There probably could have been more of an impact with Hel, but I understand why there wasn't.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Anymore thoughts, anything more that I missed?

29. - Top - End - #119

Just that this is apparently the entirety of Phase 4.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Barbarian in the Playground

Anyone else have major issues with the portrayal of female characters in the MCU? Like major issues so bad I would say the MCU is offensive to women. And for the record this isn't just my general dislike of the MCU.