New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,474 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

Yeah, during the days of Storm King sparks were called wizards so "ritual" doesn't seem out of place to describe a complex and poorly understood procedure.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Yeah, but the clear implication here is that this ritual has something to do with why the Jaegerdraught turns people into Jaegers, and thus why it doesn't appear to have done so for Zeetha--e.g. it's not just some ceremonial event, but something with actual power. Which is just weird, frankly, it's not something we usually see in Girl Genius because it's not very scientific (mad or otherwise) to require mystic rituals in order to make something Sparky happen.
    To be honest, I've been working under the assumption that what Sparks do is magic. It would explain how they can blatantly defy physics. And why it's seemingly impossible for talented non-sparks to defy physics.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I do wonder sometimes just how much of the plot has been planned out in advance and how much is just Phil and Kaja winging it as they go. To me, this whole "ritual" thing seems like a retcon, a slightly clumsy justification for what Zeetha drank back in Mechanicsburg actually being the Jaegerdraught, which wasn't even hinted at back then. I've always believed that about Higgs, by the way--I think he was introduced just as a slightly jokey way of explaining how the Baron escaped a burning airship and ended up in the Mechanicsburg hospital, and they saw he was popular so inflated his role massively.
    I agree that this probably a bit of a retcon. And I think the Folio's have even mentioned that Higgs wasn't planned as a long term character originally.

I think the Folio's are fans of Schrödinger's Gun, which is a very useful tool for serials. Especially one that has been as enduring as Girl Genius.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Bugbear in the Playground

The ritual to become a Jaeger - when combined with the Jaegerdraught - might usually be required because the recipient needs to be on the brink of death for it to work, and the ritual involves something very lethal. That way, it's something that is usually mandatory for the Draught to work, but in Zeetha's case she didn't need it because she was already in that state anyway.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

We've hit the big 5-0 - New thread here!
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee