New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

I don't think that would work. Lucrezia couldn't leave written instructions and command people that way, I don't think - it's the "harmonics" of the Voice that induce obedience in Wasped minions.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I don't think that would work. Lucrezia couldn't leave written instructions and command people that way, I don't think - it's the "harmonics" of the Voice that induce obedience in Wasped minions.
    It can’t just be Lucrezia’s harmonics, though, because the Geisters were able to command the Parisians on their own.

That makes me nervous that there are some “command phrases” that let even a muted Lucrezia command them. Or something else that will foil this plan.
    Sincerely,
    NobleCuriosity

3. - Top - End - #633

Maxim raises a good point. Don't start a fight (especially against Jaegers) unless you are okay with getting maimed.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Not agathas fault, but again, its happening while she is present.
    The thing is, even in the real world, there were people who had interesting stories, and there were people who died on page two. We're following, in almost all the stories, people who have interesting stories. Every time something dramatic happens, you have to think there were a dozen people that thing happened to, and we are watching the one who didn't die, because "and he/she died, end of story", isn't generally an interesting story. Another big factor is that stories are told by the survivors, we can't hear the stories of the victims from the victims themselves, they didn't make it.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-10-09 at 12:55 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NobleCuriosity View Post
    It can’t just be Lucrezia’s harmonics, though, because the Geisters were able to command the Parisians on their own.

That makes me nervous that there are some “command phrases” that let even a muted Lucrezia command them. Or something else that will foil this plan.
    Keep in mind that back in Sturmhalten they extracted the key voice harmonics from Agatha's voice and implanted them to Anevka. They might as well build voice modification devices for Geisterdamen or whoever else in the following years.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Im saying that agatha seems to be around for, if not the catalyst for, the total upheaval of every power structure she comes into contact with. Heck, going back as far as bettleburg we see the town taken over and its leader killed with her being there, also sturmholten or whatever the name of tarveks hometown is, her presence caused it to turn into an exposed revenant nest along with all its other issues which added further chaos to the whole mechanicsburg debacle. Its not always her fault, but it always happens wherever she goes. Even now we are seeing albia seem weakened in some fashion, similar to the master of paris, her reputation has lasted this long and now its possible she cant manage to maintain it. Not agathas fault, but again, its happening while she is present.
    I think that there are two factors in this.

One is intended as part of the story, and it's how Agatha is the vessel for the Other. But Agatha also has one of the powers of the Other, her voice. So we have two factions, the Other's servants and those who would take the Other's powers for themselves. A clash emerges over this, and Agatha has to be there, because she's what they are fighting for.

About stealing the Other's powers, it's a pity that we haven't seen more of that. Zola only had time to show her nose during her last attempt.

The other reason is how Agatha is serving as our cameragirl on Sparkworld, so she has to be there when things that we need to see happen*. Which means, given her characterisation, that she has to join huge fights between factions that don't really advance her plot (free Mechanisburg).

*I am not clear on why we needed to see the Corbettites, though, and I found that the Paris arc lacked the necessary preparation to make a good impact.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #637
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Keep in mind that back in Sturmhalten they extracted the key voice harmonics from Agatha's voice and implanted them to Anevka. They might as well build voice modification devices for Geisterdamen or whoever else in the following years.
    Hmm, maybe, but it doesn’t really look like they have a device on in the scene in question. I can’t link, but it’s the first page of “Geisterdamen in the streets” in the drop down; this url, if it shows: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...7#.XZ5WcxYpAlQ

Nor do they seem to be doing the “sparky” bubble we always seem to have when Lucrezia (or someone trying to fake her voice, or who is naturally close enough) orders people around. Ex: Agatha ordering the people in the theatre as part of her act (20051021) Anevka partially fakes it on Vrin (20051130), again when Anevka fakes it to order Lucrezia’s princesses to sleep (20060825), etc...

Though that last one, the next page Vrin notes that she is “not some low-level priestess, to be manipulated by voice alone.” That does suggest it’s purely audible for most, but doesn’t explain why the geisterdamen in Paris didn’t have the sparky voice—I guess the most logical explanation is that the wasps enslave revenants to both Lucrezia’s voice AND to the feistier voice, whereas the Geisters are only enslaved to Lucrezia’s; a chain of commanding.

And in that case stopping up the ears should work, unless they have pre-existing commands to pull out anything like that if they see Lucrezia/a Geister. Given that the wasps clearly do have an innate command to “not tell people you are wasps,” since Klaus couldn’t (outright, anyway) tell anybody between Sturmhalten and Mechanicsburg despite never getting a direct order to that effect, they clearly could have something like that. I guess it comes down to whether Lucrezia thought that far ahead. I would kind of hope she would if her master weapon could otherwise be permanently defeated by simple earplugs.
    Sincerely,
    NobleCuriosity

8. - Top - End - #638
    Bugbear in the Playground

And in that case stopping up the ears should work, unless they have pre-existing commands to pull out anything like that if they see Lucrezia/a Geister. Given that the wasps clearly do have an innate command to “not tell people you are wasps,” since Klaus couldn’t (outright, anyway) tell anybody between Sturmhalten and Mechanicsburg despite never getting a direct order to that effect, they clearly could have something like that. I guess it comes down to whether Lucrezia thought that far ahead. I would kind of hope she would if her master weapon could otherwise be permanently defeated by simple earplugs.
    We have no idea what direct orders he was given or not given.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    We have no idea what direct orders he was given or not given.
    False. In the time period between his wasping and Zola finding out about it, we know EXACTLY what (One) order he was given. He’s wasped here: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...1#.XZ-ktxYpAlQ (20061201). Lucrezia has exactly three pages from there to give him orders, and then Lucrezia-in-Agatha will be locked down (by the locket) until late in the castle Heterodyne excursion, giving no other Lucrezia-copy any knowledge of his wasping or giving him any orders.

Before Anevka got to him, Lucrezia-in-Agatha (the only other person who KNEW he was wasped) gave him exactly one order—Silence! (Literal, to make him immediately stop talking)—and then Agatha came back via locket. He goes all that time—including several conversations with Gil and Dr. Sun—not telling anybody he was wasped (but he did speak, so the “Silence!” order had clearly expired.).

So it would have to be a built-in command (like “don’t tell anybody you’re wasped” is).

(Yes, he could have received more orders after Anevka-Lucrezia found out. They’re irrelevant to the question of whether he could tell anybody because he had ample opportunity before then to tell medical experts and his own son (who we know he was trying to tell that secret to thanks to the storyteller.))
    Last edited by NobleCuriosity; 2019-10-10 at 09:52 PM.

10. - Top - End - #640

I find it tragic that, if Agatha had said "Wait!" to the Baron, he would have had to stand and wait until she was done talking to him.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

11. - Top - End - #641
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I find it tragic that, if Agatha had said "Wait!" to the Baron, he would have had to stand and wait until she was done talking to him.
    What could have been...I’m not confident she could have convinced him at that point, though.
    Sincerely,
    NobleCuriosity

12. - Top - End - #642

False. In the time period between his wasping and Zola finding out about it, we know EXACTLY what (One) order he was given. He’s wasped here: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...1#.XZ-ktxYpAlQ (20061201). Lucrezia has exactly three pages from there to give him orders, and then Lucrezia-in-Agatha will be locked down (by the locket) until late in the castle Heterodyne excursion, giving no other Lucrezia-copy any knowledge of his wasping or giving him any orders.

I guess I misunderstood what section of the plot you were talking about.

As for the current section.. sssigh. Can we just get this over with, please?

13. - Top - End - #643

With how unnecessary her escaping feels to me (since it is based on many characters overlooking obvious issues) I just want the scene done too.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Did Lu just stab Violetta mid-rant?
    Now I'm worried this will be the last stand for team Agatha, not Lu.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Back when I started reading Girl Genius, I had an extremely vivid dream about a story moment in the comic where Agatha reaches a point of crisis, then overthrows Lucrezia within her mind. To emphasize the point, she takes off the locket and says "I don't need this anymore."

I woke up with that *moment* so clear in my mind that I believed it was part of the story that I had perhaps read years ago and had just forgotten. At the time, I was getting into whatever the current story was (obviously post Lucrezia takeover), but hadn't archive binged yet to catch up. Over the years, I had checked out individual comics from them being talked about in other forums, which is why I though maybe it was a dredged up memory, but after I did binge, that comic wasn't there, but the vividness of the dream was still there.

This feels like it might be this point. Agatha is seeing her friends being hurt, their lives in danger. If she truly has the makings of a hero within her, if she's to have any kind of agency in her own story, THIS is the moment for her to take control. My guess is that when Lucy is about to kill Gil, she'll have her breakthrough.

This isn't just important for this battle, but it's the one thing that will put her on a kind of even footing with Albia where she can just tell her, "we're leaving, we have to go save the world" and it can stick.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

16. - Top - End - #646

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    Back when I started reading Girl Genius, I had an extremely vivid dream about a story moment in the comic where Agatha reaches a point of crisis, then overthrows Lucrezia within her mind. To emphasize the point, she takes off the locket and says "I don't need this anymore."

I woke up with that *moment* so clear in my mind that I believed it was part of the story that I had perhaps read years ago and had just forgotten. At the time, I was getting into whatever the current story was (obviously post Lucrezia takeover), but hadn't archive binged yet to catch up. Over the years, I had checked out individual comics from them being talked about in other forums, which is why I though maybe it was a dredged up memory, but after I did binge, that comic wasn't there, but the vividness of the dream was still there.

This feels like it might be this point. Agatha is seeing her friends being hurt, their lives in danger. If she truly has the makings of a hero within her, if she's to have any kind of agency in her own story, THIS is the moment for her to take control. My guess is that when Lucy is about to kill Gil, she'll have her breakthrough.

This isn't just important for this battle, but it's the one thing that will put her on a kind of even footing with Albia where she can just tell her, "we're leaving, we have to go save the world" and it can stick.
    There was a similar moment in the Castle, when Agatha gained back control from Lucretia as she understood that Gil was going to be killed if she didn't.

From my point of view, it's yet another problem with the possession. There are no fast rules. Anything can happen, as long as it fits the plot.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Also, when did Lucrezia learn how to fight? The last time Zeetha and Lucrezia fought, Lucrezia only had a chance because Agatha was undergoing a post-revivification rush and was stronger, faster, and tougher than she should have been. Zeetha was able to toy with her, and the only reason Violetta couldn't get a sneak attack in was because Lucrezia was too fast. Lucrezia is a schemer, not a fighter.

..so why is she suddenly a threat?

I'm so done with this arc. It's required multiple stupid decisions from supposedly smart and competent people for any of it to happen. The latest one being "hey, shouldn't we tie up Agatha in physical bonds while Albia has her restrained?"

18. - Top - End - #648

Just joining in to agree with the "let this arc end" crowd. Though, I would be very surprised if any of the main characters die. I think Trelawney might get iced, so she doesn't get tied up in the Gil/Tarvek/Agatha triangle, but the rest will probably make it.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I have a bad feeling that Albia left because there was something else that required her immediate attention. After all, if Lucrezia is in a clank, there may be many such clank-Lucrezias.

Similarly, the probably-clank-Lucrezia who got her arm ripped off by Oggie didn’t look totally down when Agatha-Lucrezia distracted Oggie.

I don’t think the people wishing for the end of the arc will get their wish in the next few pages, that’s for sure.
    Sincerely,
    NobleCuriosity

20. - Top - End - #650

Probably not since this is page 43 of the current book.

On happier news, we learned why Kaja had Phil draw that art from two weeks ago. Time to buy a couple new shirts for people I know.

21. - Top - End - #651

I have a bad feeling that Albia left because there was something else that required her immediate attention. After all, if Lucrezia is in a clank, there may be many such clank-Lucrezias.

Similarly, the probably-clank-Lucrezia who got her arm ripped off by Oggie didn’t look totally down when Agatha-Lucrezia distracted Oggie.

I don’t think the people wishing for the end of the arc will get their wish in the next few pages, that’s for sure.
    Of course the clank's gonna get back up and start beating on people; I was expecting that LuAgatha would be knocked unconscious when Zeetha punched her, and then the clank would immediately start in again.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Colossus in the Playground

I get the feeling the possession works like a teeter totter. Whoever has control has the advantage of leverage, like they are sitting at the edge of the seat which puts a lot of weight down on it keeping it from being lifted. When agatha gets tired, same for lucrezia, its like they slide forward towards the fulcrum. Now the other person is better able to put their weight on their end and push. Thats why lucrezia was leaking through int he castle while agatha was exhausted and was putting up a struggle while agatha was distracted, able to sneak stuff through like letting the muse of time free. The moment where gil was about to die and agatha took back over was basically an adrenaline rush moment where she was able to hammer down her end of the teeter totter and take control. So she knows she CAN take over, its just really really REALLY hard when lucrezia isnt distracted or exhausted.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #653

For myself, anyway, I don't mind fighting a Lucrezia invasion of England. The part that I want to end is "lucrezia in Agatha's head".

24. - Top - End - #654
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Also, when did Lucrezia learn how to fight? The last time Zeetha and Lucrezia fought, Lucrezia only had a chance because Agatha was undergoing a post-revivification rush and was stronger, faster, and tougher than she should have been. Zeetha was able to toy with her, and the only reason Violetta couldn't get a sneak attack in was because Lucrezia was too fast. Lucrezia is a schemer, not a fighter.

..so why is she suddenly a threat?

I'm so done with this arc. It's required multiple stupid decisions from supposedly smart and competent people for any of it to happen. The latest one being "hey, shouldn't we tie up Agatha in physical bonds while Albia has her restrained?"
    This. Lucrezia shouldn't be this good. I only have two explanations for this. Lu has been gaining information on fighting techniques from Agatha's brain, just as Agatha has been absorbing Other information from Lu's. Or. That's Agatha masquerading as Lu. I can't imagine why, and the sword through Oggie's chest argues against it, but it would explain the increased skills.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Lu has been gaining information on fighting techniques from Agatha's brain, just as Agatha has been absorbing Other information from Lu's.
    I considered that, but shouldn't Agatha herself still rank below Violetta in the fighter department?

Maybe Lucrezia managed to take advantage of recent events to absorb dimension energy?

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    I considered that, but shouldn't Agatha herself still rank below Violetta in the fighter department?

Maybe Lucrezia managed to take advantage of recent events to absorb dimension energy?
    Even if she didn't rank below Violetta, she should be ranking below Zeetha who not only taught Agatha but has had two years with which to improve her skills that Lu-in-Agatha didn't have.

27. - Top - End - #657

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Even if she didn't rank below Violetta, she should be ranking below Zeetha who not only taught Agatha but has had two years with which to improve her skills that Lu-in-Agatha didn't have.
    And of course, Violetta the Smoke Knight with the darts, tries to engage LuAgatha in hand-to-hand...

28. - Top - End - #658

And of course, Violetta the Smoke Knight with the darts, tries to engage LuAgatha in hand-to-hand...
    Uhm, right, did they try to put her to sleep?

29. - Top - End - #659
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Not to mention the last time we had a Zeetha and Violetta vs. Lu!Agatha confrontation like this one (back in the Castle), Violetta easily gets the upper hand with her sleight-of-hand tricks. Maybe Lucrezia's wised up since then, but the last time Lu!Agatha and Violetta shared a scene together (the tea party at St. Szpac, I believe), she didn't seem any more aware than normal about the poisonings and misdirection going on in the background.

I have to agree with Rodin on this one. So much of the problems in this arc have come down to the main cast behaving in various incompetent ways to let the antagonists get the upper hand without actually earning it. Sometimes in small ways, sometimes in big, painfully-obvious ones like these last few pages.

30. - Top - End - #660

The funny part is that they have three powerhouses -- both at fighting and sparking -- in that same room.

So, is Lugatha still trying to get killed?