Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Northlands Saga re-recruiting [PF 1.0; vikings] level ~1 [CLOSED TO NEW INTEREST]

THE NORTHLANDS SAGA - SPEARS IN THE ICE

The Northlanders have many words for a woman who practices the dark arts: fiend-woman, aglæcwif, sorceress, galdricge, seiðkona, or often simply witch. Unlike the mysterious, but respected, cunning women who are accepted into Northlander society for the wisdom they bring and their connection to world’s unseen, a witch-wife exists on the very fringes of society. She lurks in the shadows, universally reviled, subsisting on what little she can find, ever wary of an angry mob or vengeful jarl who holds her responsible for a bad crop, a blighted crop, or simply bad luck on a voyage. Despite all of these disadvantages, there are always those willing to make whatever sacrifice is necessary to embrace the unnatural power had by trafficking in such things. And sometimes, if a Northlander is desperate enough, he might be willing to have dealings with such matters himself. But there is always a price, for no one can dabble in the dark arts and hope to escape without at least some small taint of the shadow clinging to him...

Hi all. We've been running a Northlands Saga game for about a year now. Just about to finish the first adventure. Sadly life has again meant we've lost a player and it seems unlikely that they will return. We're therefore looking for 1-2 new players to join the fun.

Spoiler: The Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

Pathfinder

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

"Spears in the Ice", the first adventure in the "Northlands Saga" campaign setting and adventure path by Frog God Games.

Information on the setting can be found on the Paizo site here.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4-5 or so

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Here - GitP forums.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Level 1 (~1800 xp)

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Average per class as per Core Rules.

Local technology is classed as "High Middle Ages" so items such as full plate armor, bastard sword, crossbows, rapiers, and gunpowder weapons will not be available unless you have a darn good reason.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Preferred classes:
    • Barbarian (especially Bearsarker* & Ulfhander* archetypes)
    • Fighter (especially Huscarl* archetype)
    • Bard (especially Skald* archetype)
    • Rogue (especially wilderness archetypes)
    • Ranger (especially spell-less archetypes)
    • Sorcerer (Cunning Woman* bloodline)
    • Cleric
    • Druid
    • Oracle
    • Paladin (Spear-Maiden* archetype)
    • Hybrids of the above (eg Bloodrager, Hunter, Skald, Slayer, Warpriest)

Discouraged classes:
    • Monk
    • Wizard
    • Alchemist
    • Cavalier
    • Gunslinger
    • Inquisitor
    • Magus
    • Samurai
    • Ninja

No homebrew. Third party stuff by request (must be on PFSRD).
    * denotes setting-specific content. Info on new races and classes can be found on the Paizo website here.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Preferred races:
    • Northlander (viking human)
    • Nûk/ Nûklander* (tundra elf, low-tech "Stone Age")
    • Seagestrelander (tribal human, low-tech "Stone Age")
    • Dwarf
    • Giant-Blooded*
    • Troll-Blooded*

Discouraged races:
    • Halfling
    • Gnome
    • Half-orc

No homebrew. Third party stuff by request (must be on PFSRD).
    * denotes setting-specific content. Info on new races and classes can be found on the Paizo website here.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

PF 15 point buy

Max hp for 1st level. Half max + 0.5 (rounded up) thereafter.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Standard alignment rules, but you have to be broadly capable of working together. Non-evil preferred.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Standard rules.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

All die rolls on the GitPs forums - either in the OOC forum or in spoilers in the IC forum please. I will roll initiative, saves and certain skill checks for you. Basically anything reactive I will roll in order to speed play up. You can do all of the proactive rolls for your character.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

A variety of minor setting-specific rules. Details are with the setting info on the Paizo site here.

2 traits allowed (any mix of campaign & other).
    1 drawback (+ 3rd trait) allowed
    I reserve the right to veto any wackiness.

Background skills are in effect.

Other optional rules considered on request.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

A basic background is required. Nothing too extensive.

The Northlands Saga Adventure Path calls for characters that are in service to Olaf Henrikson, the Jarl of Halfstead. These members of the jarl’s household are lesser servants, would-be huscarls, and other attached persons. If any PC is not a member of the household, then he should be associated to it in some way, possibly as a seasonal hanger-on. The Northlands are not like other fantasy settings. Rulers and others in positions of authority simply do not hire adventurers to solve their problems; they either take care of things themselves or send members of their household to see to the situation.
    Having the PCs all be in the service to the same jarl allows for the party to have a solid foundation. Not only do they have similar goals and directives, but they also will likely know each other, if not since childhood, then at least from the mead hall of their jarl. Even outsiders would have had time to fraternize with the locals before the adventure begins.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

Hack & slash, RP, heroism, bravado!

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

The following sources are approved:

Other sources by request.

The Northlands Saga Player's Guide is available for purchase here but is not required reading. I'll provide info on anything relevant.

Spoiler: Map of the Northlands
    Show

Spoiler: Map of Hord Peninsula & Silvermeade Hall
    Show

Centrally located on the North Sea, the Hord Peninsula is sometimes considered the heart of the Northlands, despite the cultural prominence of neighboring Storstrøm Vale. The coastal areas slope gently down to the sea and are dotted with hundreds of tiny anchorages. These coastal lands are also very fertile and crossed by several small streams that flow from the interior. As a result they are densely settled and cut up into nearly a hundred jarldoms, some rather petty, some grand (such as the jarldoms of Halfstead and Galvë). The central portion of the peninsula is lightly wooded, though only in the southern regions where lies the Forest of Woe can it be truly considered a forested area. As a result of the presence of this ominous woodland to the south, most of the settlements are concentrated in the central and northern areas or along the coasts.

In the center of the peninsula, the trees become sparse in a marshy upland that is called the Moors. A portion of these moors is dry with firmer footing and holds the area known as the Barrow Lands. Beyond the settled lands, a thin fringe of forest, either not yet cleared or intentionally left wild, permits hunting and logging without venturing into the forest to the south.

Party roster

Here's the current party, shortly to level up to 2 having saved Jarl Olaf's daughters from the wicked seiðkona Sibbe the Unkempt (but still level 1 for now):

Player Character Alignment Race Class
    PeacefulOak Dark Dreams Wanderer (Mørkedrømevandrer) CG Nûk Spell-less Ranger (Dual-style)
    DrK Freyja Skirlaug LG Giant-Blooded Paladin (Spear-maiden)
    Dexam Skorri Erlenson N Human (Northlander) Skald (Dragon Skald)
    Ghostfoot (NPC) Signy Stone-Eye N Human (Northlander) Sorcerer (Cunning Woman)

Link to the IC is here, the OOC is here.

Applicants

Player Character Alignment Race Class
    atlastrembles White That Walks (Vitsomgar) NG Nûk Druid (Bear Shaman)
    farothel Bjorn Ulgardson LG Human (Northlander) Fighter (Huscarl)
    Janwin Biarni Gunnulfson LN Human (Northlander) Fighter (Viking)
    Ghostrider583 Asger Alvisson NG Dwarf Cleric of Njördr
    Mercurion 2 Knorron Iceborn N Troll-Blooded Rogue (Scout)
    Lokio Ove Valrbjorn NG Human (Northlander) Unchained Barbarian
    Starbin Heltinne Thrainsdottir NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Oracle (Spirit Guide)

Closed to new interest
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2019-08-05 at 05:45 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Northlands Saga re-recruiting [PF 1.0; vikings] level ~1

I'm pretty interested but I wouldn't know if I'd rather be a human or dwarf XD I'm thinking either a Cleric or Rogue but I'm heading into work so I'll think on it for later.
    Any restrictions you have on Deity choices? I'm thinking a Neutral Good cleric if I go that route so I'll be looking at LG, CG, & NG deities.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Where is the group right now and what kind of plot hook do we need to connect with the group easily?
    Until further notice 21st of October, please DM me for important stuff, and let the game master control my characters

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Where is the group right now and what kind of plot hook do we need to connect with the group easily?
    From the BIG16: The Northlands Saga Adventure Path calls for characters that are in service to Olaf Henrikson, the Jarl of Halfstead. These members of the jarl’s household are lesser servants, would-be huscarls, and other attached persons. Having the PCs all be in the service to the same jarl allows for the party to have a solid foundation. Not only do they have similar goals and directives, but they also will likely know each other, if not since childhood, then at least from the mead hall of their jarl.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

We are currently in a stone circle in a storm on top of Tor surrounded by undead with the Jarl's three daughters we just rescued (fun times!!) though I suspect an end to this arc is about to happen and we'll be able to have a montage meeting new players. Ghostfoot can correct me if I'm wrong.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Here's White That Walks (Vitsomgar) - The Nuk Druid (Bear Shaman)

White That Walks must go south to the greenlands, he has seen it in a dream. The Great Bearmother rearing over him, growling a fierce command to leave the snowfields and glaciers and walk among the Nordlanders and their strange humanoid gods. "Find the One Born Between Years, the Dark Wanderer, and cleave your cause to his." And when the Bearmother spoke, Vitsomgar listened. And so he put his face between east and west and walked out of Nukland, Brother lumbering beside him.

Some long days later, White That Walks wanders into Halfstead, drawn to Jarl Olaf Henrikson's lands by the vision from the Great Bear. Here, he knew, he would find the Wanderer he was sent to help, not knowing what to expect.

** 20 years earlier **

His fire had died and the young elf prepared to die with it, to become one with the ice and the flow of snow across the twilight landscape. His vision quest would end as it begun, in the dark and the cold. He had left his tribe five days ago, running out into the frozen wilds to either find his name or die trying. He hadn't expected the raging blizzard, the tear of flying shards of coldest night. He had scrounged a fire by burning what was left of the rabbit bones he had caught on the first day, but it was now out. With the snow piling on him, the Nuk closed his eyes and welcomed the cold into him.

A giant shape emerges out of the darkness, a massive thing of fur, blood, and fury. Hot-blooded and primal, the white creature charges at the Nuk, roaring its feral dominance. The nameless elf bows his head and the Great White Bear engulfs it with its massive jaws. Wet, stinking breath bears down and the Bear's teeth pierce the Nuk's skin. Then he hears a voice in his head, cradled in the jaws. "Not yet, White That Walks, not yet. You are not meant for the cold grip yet. I claim you, cub, in my name."

When he awakes an avatar of the Great White Bear, The Snow Shadow, The White Death, is curled around him, keeping him warm and granting him life. He hears the whisper of the creature in his mind, his life now shared with that of the primal spirit, a spark of which resided in the polar bear that was now his companion, brother, and ally. For the next twenty years, until he had another vivid dream, The White That Walks and his Brother wandered Nukland, blessing tribes and reminding them of the power of the Great White Bear and of the wilder things that still prowled in the half-year's night.

Spoiler: Extra
    Show
    I hope you don't mind that I tied my character's hook into the campaign to one of the existing PCs (The Dark Dreams Wanderer). Would give my PC a reason to be in the South and why he's only just showing up now.

Happy to alter my backstory as well if there's a more appropriate way to do this. Can also modify my character not to have an animal companion if you don't want to deal with that. I can go a Domain Druid for Nature Bond instead.

7. - Top - End - #7

OrcBarbarianGuy

As I see Ghostrider is interested in a cleric, I will throw my hat in the ring with a rogue (scout) archetype of troll-blooded descent.

Knorron Iceborn

The drifts had piled deeper than a man’s chest and the snow continued to blow sideways when the trapper, hurrying home to a warm hearth, found the babe. Barely clad and left in a rough wooden basket, the whelp’s skin had taken on the hard, dull, pale coloration of serious frostbite. The trapper thought the babe was already too far gone to be saved, but took pity on the boy and hauled the basket home and set in near the fire. The gods alone knew how—or perhaps they intervened, the trapper thought-- but somehow the boy survived, though his skin remained the same dull color of old snow.

In truth, it was not the gods’ doing that was responsible for either the boy’s predicament or his survival, but rather it was his blood: troll’s blood. Though neither of his parents were trolls, they knew of a taint in their family history and they recognized the signs—white skin, fingernails that were more like claws, unnaturally long arms*—and rid themselves of the boy before any uncomfortable questions could be asked.

Those same signs made it difficult for him to fit in as he matured, and he found himself— if not shunned, certainly looked on strangely, and he found it easier to simply make himself scarce. He learned to traverse unseen the frigid ice fields and the snow-laden boughs of the pines equally well so as to avoid the hard stares and the clear discomfort of the locals. He learned to hunt the wolf, and the bear, and less…natural…creatures, taking them down before they even realized he had drawn close.

Knorren’s skill set of moving and striking unseen soon caught the attention of Olaf Henrikson, and though far from a popular figure, the scout found himself in the Jarl’s employ. Though still seen by most as an outsider, he now has a common purpose and direction.

*Note that rather than the standard green-tinted skin, Knorron is descended from snow or ice trolls, which explains his different pigmentation (but no mechanical change)

Spoiler
    Show
    My build would be a wilderness-type rogue/scout focusing on ranged specialty, with troll-blooded as a trait as well. However, if PeacefulOak’s ranger is also going for a ranged build, I don’t want to step on toes and could very easily change Knorron to a barbarian if that fits better with the party. It is actually a better fit with the troll-blooded background mechanically anyway, but rogue would be my first choice from an RP standpoint.

If Knorron looks like a viable add to the game I’ll be happy to work up a character sheet, but have held off for now in part because I wasn’t sure if rogue or barbarian would be the better fit. But, at 1st level there isn’t going to be great variation anyway.

Thanks for your consideration!
    Merc
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2019-07-22 at 04:00 PM.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3/Bar 1 | HP: 38 | Init +10 | AC 16 T12 FF14| Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +6 melee 1d8+3/x2, +5 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- blade of blood, cause fear (DC 15), sonic blast D (DC 15), resurgence; 2nd- animalistic power, sonic weapon D, sound burst (DC 16 partial)
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 15)

Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Hi there. Is there a house rule that's missing about skill points? It looks like some characters have some more skill points than their class gives, so that's why I'm asking.

I'm currently building a Fighter (viking) character to act as huscarl to Jarl Olaf.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Janwin View Post
    Hi there. Is there a house rule that's missing about skill points?
    Background skills are in effect. Sorry must have missed that from the 16 the first time around, and again now :/

Edit: Fixed the OP
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2019-07-22 at 02:06 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

RangerGuy

Ah! Perfect! That explains it. Thanks!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider583 View Post
    I'm pretty interested but I wouldn't know if I'd rather be a human or dwarf XD I'm thinking either a Cleric or Rogue but I'm heading into work so I'll think on it for later.
    Any restrictions you have on Deity choices? I'm thinking a Neutral Good cleric if I go that route so I'll be looking at LG, CG, & NG deities.
    Basics of the Northlander deities have been helpfully written up by another GM here. I've held off digging out fluff from the campaign guide for each deity, but if you want it for one/ some let me know. I've updated Wotan/ Odin, who DrK's character Freyja follows, here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider583 View Post
    From the BIG16: The Northlands Saga Adventure Path calls for characters that are in service to Olaf Henrikson, the Jarl of Halfstead. These members of the jarl’s household are lesser servants, would-be huscarls, and other attached persons. Having the PCs all be in the service to the same jarl allows for the party to have a solid foundation. Not only do they have similar goals and directives, but they also will likely know each other, if not since childhood, then at least from the mead hall of their jarl.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    We are currently in a stone circle in a storm on top of Tor surrounded by undead with the Jarl's three daughters we just rescued (fun times!!) though I suspect an end to this arc is about to happen and we'll be able to have a montage meeting new players. Ghostfoot can correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yep, that's all correct.

The party began the game as aspiring members of Jarl Olaf's household, based out of Silvermeade Hall in Hordaland. The first task to 'test their mettle' was to look after the jarl's daughters, which is just about to come to a (successful) end. So assume new characters join back in Silvermeade Hall ready for Task Two.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfoot View Post
    Basics of the Northlander deities have been helpfully written up by another GM here. I've held off digging out fluff from the campaign guide for each deity, but if you want it for one/ some let me know. I've updated Wotan/ Odin, who DrK's character Freyja follows, here.
    Ah cool! I had seen the 'Religion' tab but not the one for actual gods XD I'm off work now so I'll begin working on my Dwarven Cleric. I'm going to also look through the archetypes to see if any pop out at me lol
    Last edited by Ghostrider583; 2019-07-22 at 02:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I've created a human fighter (Huscarl type): Bjorn Ulgardson
    I've found a picture, but I have trouble getting it onto the site.

background:
    Born Ulgardson was born in Halfstead, as the firstborn of Ulgard, a retired huscarl who used to be in the service of Jarl Henrik, father of Olaf Henrikson. While in the earl’s service, Bjorn’s father had served with distinction and at one point he had defended his liege against 4 foes, holding out until other huscarls could arrive. He was gravely wounded during this attack and couldn’t serve any longer, so he was released from his oath, although the Jarl still sought his advice from time to time.

As he wasn’t an huscarl anymore, he cold marry and soon he had a son, which he trained to follow in his footsteps. Bjorn trained from a young age and his mother, who was a scribe, taught him to read and also some engineering. When he came of age he sought a place as huscarl. As son of a famous warrior who saved his father’s life, Olaf took Bjorn on as Huscarl without hesitation.
    Last edited by farothel; 2019-07-22 at 03:09 PM.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atlastrembles View Post
    *snip* Awesome character stuff. *snip*

I hope you don't mind that I tied my character's hook into the campaign to one of the existing PCs (The Dark Dreams Wanderer). Would give my PC a reason to be in the South and why he's only just showing up now.

Happy to alter my backstory as well if there's a more appropriate way to do this. Can also modify my character not to have an animal companion if you don't want to deal with that. I can go a Domain Druid for Nature Bond instead.
    Doesn't bother me! I like the write-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurion 2 View Post
    *snip* More awesome character stuff*

My build would be a wilderness-type rogue/scout focusing on ranged specialty, with troll-blooded as a trait as well. However, if PeacefulOak’s ranger is also going for a ranged build, I don’t want to step on toes and could very easily change Knorren to a barbarian if that fits better with the party. It is actually a better fit with the troll-blooded background mechanically anyway, but rogue would be my first choice from an RP standpoint.

If Knorren looks like a viable add to the game I’ll be happy to work up a character sheet, but have held off for now in part because I wasn’t sure if rogue or barbarian would be the better fit. But, at 1st level there isn’t going to be great variation anyway.
    Mørkedrømevandrer is dual-style ranged and two-handed weapons. He'll be filling in wherever needed. I think either rogue or barbarian would be cool.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I think all 3 are looking good. I like that all of them have their backgrounds tied solidly into the setting and Jarl Henrikson
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

16. - Top - End - #16

RangerGuy

My submission: Biarni Gunnulfson

Biarni Gunnulfson was born the son of Gunnulf Knudson and Estrid Gunhildsdottir. His father was one of the many bondi whose life was devoted to the tending of his farm and feeding the people under the Jarl of Halfstead, Jarl Henrik. His mother was a spearmaiden and huscarl to Jarl Olaf's father.

Estrid developed quite a reputation among the Jarl's people, both due to her beauty, her charm, and her ability with a spear. Countless times throughout her years of service to the Jarl, she saved his life with a timely thrust of a spear or the deflection of an unnoticed foe's blade with her shield. In time, it became unusual to see the Jarl on the field of battle without Estrid beside him and watching his back.

Even with all of this, she managed to avoid ever being seriously wounded herself, and so the legend grew that Estrid Gunhildsdottir could not be killed by mere mortals.

Due to the legends and rising popularity, as well as her loyal service, the Jarl expanded the holdings of the family, and they were made hirdman.

Shortly after this elevation, Gunnulf and Estrid had a son. After recovering from childbirth, Estrid resumed her duties as huscarl to the Jarl and trained the young Biarni in fighting with sword and shield. He took well to his training, and showed promise.

By the time he had come to age, his mother had retired from the Jarl's service. By now, her legend had grown and spread, as she had still remained unhurt by battle. But she was growing in age, and while battle may not kill her, the gods would surely come to take her home to Valhalla eventually.

Upon reaching adulthood, Biarni swore service and fealty to the Jarl of Halfstead, now Jarl Olaf, as well, swearing to serve him with sword and shield, and so Biarni found himself on his first campaign. The inexperienced young man found himself in the thick of the shield wall, and was caught off-guard by a spear thrust through a small opening which tore into his face. As he fell to the ground with all those armored men above him, he knew that the end had come, until he felt a pair of hands grasp him by the shoulders and pull him free from under his compatriots. The last thing he recalled was the face of one of the Jarl's huscarls peering down at him and saying something.

When he came to, later, he learned that the battle had ended in victory, and that he had gotten exceedingly lucky with his wound. While it did not kill him, and did not leave any lasting crippling injury, it did leave a rather gruesome scar across the left side of his face.

Once recovered, he returned to the line and fought the rest of the campaign alongside his Jarl.

Upon returning home, he found that age had caught up to his mother, and not one month later also his father. The farm was his, and he hired a freeman named Torsten Ulfsson to tend to the farm. After all, he knew little of farming even though his father had tried to teach him, and he expects that he'll be away quite a bit in service to the Jarl.
    Last edited by Janwin; 2019-07-22 at 04:31 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    I think all 3 are looking good. I like that all of them have their backgrounds tied solidly into the setting and Jarl Henrikson
    Agreed, including the fourth!

I only responded to the 2 of them as they specifically called out Mørkedrømevandrer. ;)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hoo boy I had some fun making this character lol and of course I went back and forth between almost everything because I'm indecisive XD but I believe I'm totally done.

Asger Alvisson was born a dwarf but found a home in Halfstead. He's a cleric of Njordr (travel & water) and spends time between either tending his farm or sailing as a traveling healer for sailors.

Spoiler: Backstory, short and sweet
    Show
    Asger once lived with his brethren, the Dwarves, but was exiled upon adulthood. They said he had committed treason yet he had done nothing but been a faithful servant to the gods (but mainly his god, Njordr,) So off he went on his own only to get captured and enslaved by a group of tribal northerners. He spent a few years being a servant once again but in a more literal sense. He would tend their small farms and look after the sick warriors once they realized he had a good mind on his shoulders. His only saving Grace was when his master and his family were attacked and killed by berserkers, giving himself a few others a chance to slip away to freedom. With the help of the other slaves they managed to make their way to the closest warm place they could find, Halfstead.

Asger made friends out of many of the northlanders even though he wasn't a human. He tried hard too, he wasn't very much into chatting with all the people in the Mead hall until he found a job working with the sailors. He learned he very much liked the water more than he had originally (especially after almost being drowned a few times for disobedience as a slave) and as such was able to form an even stronger bond with his deity. Sailing was freeing, he got the travel all over and meet all sorts of people. That's when he finally started talking to others in Halfstead, he finally felt free. Throughout the last 50 years he has accumulated his wealth to get himself a plot of land from Jarl Olaf Henrikson. With his decent knowledge of farming and stubborn attitude, he ended up producing much more food than he had envisioned.

Year after year of steady food production had gotten more trust out of the Jarl so Asger felt it necessary to pledge his allegiance and his healing ability to Olaf and his people. They accepted him as family and Asger finally had a home again. Anyone that needed medical attention could always trust the good ol' dwarf down the way and might even get a delicious snack on the way out.

Then one night, a very lovely northlander woman was carried in by her teenage son. They were Edrie and Mercer Ornson. A woman who had lost her husband to the cold, and now come down with the same condition while chopping trees. He quickly brought her back to health and the two became very good friends....and then more than friends. They got married within the third year and she now takes care of the business end while Mercer learns to take care of the farm.

Character Sheet: Asger Alvisson, Farmer, Healer, Friend

Edit: I almost went with the Devout Pilgrim archetype because it fit very well with what I have going on but decided against it.
    Last edited by Ghostrider583; 2019-07-23 at 05:40 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Looks great everyone, nice to see your very-cool submissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurion 2 View Post
    My build would be a wilderness-type rogue/scout focusing on ranged specialty, with troll-blooded as a trait as well. However, if PeacefulOak’s ranger is also going for a ranged build, I don’t want to step on toes and could very easily change Knorron to a barbarian if that fits better with the party. It is actually a better fit with the troll-blooded background mechanically anyway, but rogue would be my first choice from an RP standpoint.

If Knorron looks like a viable add to the game I’ll be happy to work up a character sheet, but have held off for now in part because I wasn’t sure if rogue or barbarian would be the better fit. But, at 1st level there isn’t going to be great variation anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulOak View Post
    Mørkedrømevandrer is dual-style ranged and two-handed weapons. He'll be filling in wherever needed. I think either rogue or barbarian would be cool.
    Personally (not wanting to speak for the players) I think you'll be fine with either combination - ranged/ melee and rogue/ barbarian. The party can adapt so submit what you think you will find more fun.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Can someone post or PM me Hel's alignment and domains? Or is the setting more flexible in that regard?
    Until further notice 21st of October, please DM me for important stuff, and let the game master control my characters

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Can someone post or PM me Hel's alignment and domains? Or is the setting more flexible in that regard?
    Hel || NE || death, disease || Animal, Darkness, Death, Earth, Evil, Plant || Poisoned dagger

Probably not a great choice for a PC, unless you are very creative

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Hel || NE || death, disease || Animal, Darkness, Death, Earth, Evil, Plant || Poisoned dagger

Probably not a great choice for a PC, unless you are very creative
    I mean she deals with dishonorable people which is a cornerstone of viking society. Death is a fairly important domain. Do her clerics deal with the whole death rites stuff too? I assume so since no other god is mentioned with the death aside from Wotan's drinking hall. Plus in this interpretation Hel kinda is a good gal. She punishes criminals, praying to her staves off diseases and death. Yes worshipping her is unpopular.

And honestly I have always felt the evil alignments are overdone a bit. One can play evil with a sense of purpose and social acceptability. No, I am not trying for OotS' Helya mustache twirling evil. After all, you are still in the service of a jarl. Most likely going for true neutral anyhow (looking at Darkness and Evangelist as some kind of oddly motivating doomsayer).

But I will probably switch up the idea since I see how well done the other concepts are.
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-07-22 at 10:05 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

OrcBarbarianGuy

Crunch is done for Knorron Iceborn, except I think for background skills. If I've missed anything else please let me know.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1965796

Decided that he survived through his combination of stealth and quickness (as reflected by a high initiative). Also, the Eat Anything troll-blooded trait should provide some interesting RPing opportunities!

Closest picture I could find (sorry for the size):
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3/Bar 1 | HP: 38 | Init +10 | AC 16 T12 FF14| Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +6 melee 1d8+3/x2, +5 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- blade of blood, cause fear (DC 15), sonic blast D (DC 15), resurgence; 2nd- animalistic power, sonic weapon D, sound burst (DC 16 partial)
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 15)

Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll start working up a Huscarl here shortly. This sounds great.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Let me think about some ideas for this one ... I do love a good nordic-style saga ...
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to present Ove Valrbjorn, the Unchained Barbarian reaver. Heir to land by the sea and the port attached, but prone to ranging far from home in the name of the Jarl, Valrbjorn is a part of the far-reaching hand of Olaf's navy. Unlike the more regular fighters who face the high seas, he has a reputation. A child of the moon, some say; a little mad, others say; ever ranging out further and further. There are always those that say the reaver will never make it back, but somehow, he always seems to in spite of the odds. This brings upon his house some small fame that has lent his father, a port landowner and former sailor known as Volpar Valrbjorn, benefits in his shipbuilding business back at home.

A quiet and direct man, the reaver is known to be a creature of few words and hard temperament. Impatient with politicos but well aware of what his standing brings to the table, he tends toward attending Things where he can and pushing for just policies that encourage freedom of trade, movement and economic growth with the votes given to him by his family.

At thirty-two years of age, he is wedded and has three young sons, each growing more and more by the day. Some day, his wife Freja wishes him to retire from the life of an outrunner and reaver, but the sea is in his blood. This is a source of conflict between them as she tries to balance understanding with the reasonable fear of his demise in the service of the Jarl.

Please let me know if you're interested and if you would like further expansion of anything. Character crunch is here: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1966509

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

These characters all look great. I think we'll aim to make a decision by the end of this weekend. Happy to extend on request if anyone needs more time though.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

These characters all look great. I think we'll aim to make a decision by the end of this weekend. Happy to extend on request if anyone needs more time though.
    No one's replied yet so it seems that sounds like a plan :) can't wait for the reveal.

29. - Top - End - #29

Planetar

Exciting! Fingers crossed. :)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

If we have until the weekend, I'll work on a submission quickly. I'll try to minimize overlap with other characters ...
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y