New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 3: Villainous Interlude

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    This discussion really is going nowhere...

I think the legislation is a reasonable compromise. It's not perfect, it's not 100% fair or altruistic, but is probably better than just letting people do whatever they want just because they can, whether or not society has the infrastructure and know-how to deal with it.
    Wide, sweeping generalizations that needlessly restrict people's rights or make things harder for them because of what they might do instead of what they are doing are never reasonable.

The only reasonable thing to do is come down hard on people who break the rules why leaving everyone else the hell alone...

Unless of course, it turns out that public safety isn't the goal.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Well... Agree to disagree, then.
    Homebrew Stuff:

3. - Top - End - #573

All I really have to say about this particular subject (which we've beaten into the ground like three times previously) is that a standard photo ID is sometimes called a Walking License, and that I know a handful of people who I genuinely wouldn't trust to walk from one place to another so you best believe I wouldn't trust ANYONE with flight. The amount of destructive potential from flying around is legitimately great enough that it SHOULD be restricted to those who have proven they are capable of the responsibility it entails.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Wide, sweeping generalizations that needlessly restrict people's rights or make things harder for them because of what they might do instead of what they are doing are never reasonable.

The only reasonable thing to do is come down hard on people who break the rules why leaving everyone else the hell alone...

Unless of course, it turns out that public safety isn't the goal.
    Wow there is only reasonable way to structure society. Glad I just found that out. All societies except the authoritative one are unreasonable. This is because Rater202 has so spoken, let it be written, let it be done!

Or perhaps it is a failure of imagination
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

5. - Top - End - #575

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    All I really have to say about this particular subject (which we've beaten into the ground like three times previously) is that a standard photo ID is sometimes called a Walking License, and that I know a handful of people who I genuinely wouldn't trust to walk from one place to another so you best believe I wouldn't trust ANYONE with flight. The amount of destructive potential from flying around is legitimately great enough that it SHOULD be restricted to those who have proven they are capable of the responsibility it entails.
    Its honestly the real reason we dont have flying cars. The sheer mind boggling danger involved with transferring to three dimensional travel and the awe inspiring amount of regulation that would have to be created just to make it possible precludes the very idea far more than technical limitations could.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #576
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Its honestly the real reason we dont have flying cars. The sheer mind boggling danger involved with transferring to three dimensional travel and the awe inspiring amount of regulation that would have to be created just to make it possible precludes the very idea far more than technical limitations could.
    pretty much. imagine a car crash but in an office building many stories up among skyscrapers. imagine how you park. imagine how speed would work- if a flying car would be faster than a ground car, then how do you make sure its safe?

like it might work if you instead of being driven by people you connected it all to a single network regulating all the traffic in the city and coordinating the all the cars with some AI so that all the cars are just parts of for the purpose of transporting people to their destination, because presumably the AI would be transcendantly intelligent enough to coordinate that kind of mess. but that runs into the problem of needing a transcendantly intelligent AI for the menial task of controlling traffic. who knows the if the AI would be okay with it?

but superpowered people flying is a different issue, there is the unpredictability issue for sure. but that only lasts as long as people don't start genetic engineering Quirks to sort out the optimal ones from the suboptimal ones. the two centuries of chaos I guess explains why they never developed it with no tech progress, but really Quirks give society lot of incentive to pour a lot of resources into bio-engineering to make a gattaca-like society. Endeavor's playing eugenics is amateur hour nonsense compared to that.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

7. - Top - End - #577

People's biology and psychology are built around quirks. Someone whose powers have the intended purpose of allowing them to fly will possess spatial awareness and sense of balance that is different from a normal person's in such a way as to compensate for the fact that they're moving through three dimensions simply becuase that's how quirks work.

Quirks are not a flying car. They are not a jet pack or a overboard. They are your mind and your body doing what they're designed to do.

Strop thinking of them as something foreign to the body. They're not. They're a part of the individual, that the individual is built around, and therefore should be protected by the rights of the individual to do what they want with their bodies as long as they aren't hurting others.

Thinking of Quirks as separate from the person they belong to was part of Deku's problem with controlling One For All. When there's an entire thing about how the main protagonist was thinking about Quirks the wrong way, you'd think that people would by default not think of them that way.

If my Quirk is "personal levitation" than moving through the air is, for me, as natural as walking. It should be treated as such.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ettin in the Playground

People's biology and psychology are built around quirks. Someone whose powers have the intended purpose of allowing them to fly will possess spatial awareness and sense of balance that is different from a normal person's in such a way as to compensate for the fact that they're moving through three dimensions simply becuase that's how quirks work.

Quirks are not a flying car. They are not a jet pack or a overboard. They are your mind and your body doing what they're designed to do.

Strop thinking of them as something foreign to the body. They're not. They're a part of the individual, that the individual is built around, and therefore should be protected by the rights of the individual to do what they want with their bodies as long as they aren't hurting others.

Thinking of Quirks as separate from the person they belong to was part of Deku's problem with controlling One For All. When there's an entire thing about how the main protagonist was thinking about Quirks the wrong way, you'd think that people would by default not think of them that way.

If my Quirk is "personal levitation" than moving through the air is, for me, as natural as walking. It should be treated as such.
    We have plenty of examples that people do not have full control of their quirks even if the quirk is intertwined with their body and mind. Dozens of examples but one early example is Shoto felt compelled to use fire during the Calvary battle even though his conscious mind was spend so much attention to suppress that part of his personality. There are also times Bakugou has over done his explosions putting people in danger when that was never his intent.

Distracted driving with cars exist, why would not the same occur with distracted flying and not full awareness? Furthermore even when you are aware of something that does not mean you can control it. These best of the best students which were hand selected due to their skills and precise techniques did not have a handle on their powers with 3 months of specialized 1 on 1 training. You expect the common populace to be less sloppy than these students who are actually getting the training and certification to indicate they can use their quirks safely.

9. - Top - End - #579

And yet uravity had to work hard to avoid puking any time she floated, frenchy mcsparkles is still dealing with a lifetime of misery inflicted on him by using his power, bakugo himself can only explode so much without hurting himself, at least early on. Oh yeah, and todoroki has to balance using his quirks or else he hurts himself as well. Lets not forget about how badly out of control dark shadow can go. No, you are NOT automatically able to handle your own quirk and all its side effects. And even if that wasnt true, there are a lot of things your body is naturally capable of doing that flat out isnt allowed in society in the real world, you cant just proclaim 'BUT ITS NATURAL!" and say that means they cant be restricted. I cant go out onto the sidewalk and squat out a loaf without facing criminal charges despite being able to squat out a loaf being a natural thing my body is designed to do and as long as nobody steps in it, isnt hurting them either.

Nobody is born with a mastery over their quirk, its silly to even imply otherwise as the entire series is based around people learning how to use their quirk and mastering entirely new applications of it constantly. So no, being able to fly is not some right that deserves to be utterly unrestricted just because you were born with wings because that in no way whatsoever implies any sort of ability to do it safely.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #580

And yet uravity had to work hard to avoid puking any time she floated
    Her power isn't flying. It's removing the gravity from objects. Clearly she isn't supposed to be using it on her self and thus requires extra training to do it.

As opposed to inherent flight which would not have such limitations.

Shoto's fire wanting to be used kind of supports my point: Quirks want to be used, so excessive restrictions on their usage can be harmful.

Quirks that are inherently harmful to the user seems to be a minority.

And finally, you're kind of building a strawman argument comparing public indecency and littering to natural, unaided flight.

If I am born with the ability to levitate, with it being as natural to me as walking and with my body and mind built around flying and I've been doing since I was four years old then it should just be assumed that by the time I'm an adult that I know what I'm doing.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2020-03-28 at 01:12 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #581

Her power isn't flying. It's removing the gravity from objects. Clearly she isn't supposed to be using it on her self and thus requires extra training to do it.

Shoto's fire wanting to be used kind of supports my point: Quirks want to be used, so excessive restrictions on their usage can be harmful.

Quirks that are inherently harmful to the user seems to be a minority.

And finally, you're kind of building a strawman argument comparing public indecency and littering to natural, unaided flight.

If I am born with the ability to levitate, with it being as natural to me as walking and with my body and mind built around flying and I've been doing since I was four years old then it should just be assumed that by the time I'm an adult that I know what I'm doing.
    Why? There are plenty of people who are naturally clumsy when it comes to walking. They trip, they bump into things, they knock stuff over. Why is flying some sort of magical ability that we can assume is never going to ever mess up at some arbitrary age? When walking and doing those things its mostly just embarrassing, or you might break something you knock over. Do that while flying and the potential damage is a lot higher as has been pointed out many many times already. So no, you shouldnt be able to just fly off whenever you want to because you were born able to do it. And there is nothing straw man about my argument, its entirely valid. Your stance is there shouldnt be laws restricting people from doing things that are totally natural for their body to handle. I point out how there are a LOT of totally natural things our bodies are capable of that we arent legally allowed to do in public and because it kinda shuts your argument down entirely, you want to pretend it doesnt count? Sorry, doesnt work that way.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

Some things that are good for an individual, are bad for society, and vice versa.

In this case, allowing everyone to use their movement quirks to full expression, would cause traffic to collapse into chaos, because variability of quirks would make it impossible to regulate in a sane manner.

One person flying in a society where most people are landbound is fine. Some people flylng with wings while others are super-jumping while others are magnetically levitating while others are controlling grsvoty while someone is using their flame powers as a rocket... that's not fine. That's a mess. That an individual has natural proficiency over their own powers is meaningless, because they cannot possibly anticipate all the other quirks. Every new quirk added into the mix exponentially increases the number of things that can go wrong.

Hence, it is in society's best interest to ban all quirks by default to artficially maintain controllable, equal ground, and only allow quirks on case-by-case basis after they've been reviewed and the person using them has demonstrated proficiency.

A similar argument can be made for all other fields of life. The only sane counter-argument is that with 80+% of the population having quirks, such laws are unenforceable.

13. - Top - End - #583

Why? There are plenty of people who are naturally clumsy when it comes to walking. They trip, they bump into things, they knock stuff over.
    And yet, we trust that the average person is able to walk from place to place unaided.

For someone whose entire mind and body are built around levitation, flight and walking are the same and...

Okay, let me use a slightly different example: This person has a mutation-type quirk. Like Liutenant Dan, they ain't got no legs. Levitation is their only form of locomotion and they can instinctively fly to the same degree that an average person can instinctively walk.

Is it fair to require this person to require a license to fly?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Barbarian in the Playground

Even in-universe, it's a complicated question with multiple valid viewpoints and various length people push each of them.

It's clear that current hero society has... ways it could improve, at the very least. But how much it should change, how fast it should change and how high could be the acceptable price for this change... these are all open, complex questions. The current, overly-strict rules, are also a reaction to the Quirk anarchy hell that happened in the past, so I can see why people are afraid of slippery sloping in that direction.

15. - Top - End - #585

And yet, we trust that the average person is able to walk from place to place unaided.

For someone whose entire mind and body are built around levitation, flight and walking are the same and...

Okay, let me use a slightly different example: This person has a mutation-type quirk. Like Liutenant Dan, they ain't got no legs. Levitation is their only form of locomotion and they can instinctively fly to the same degree that an average person can instinctively walk.

Because if someone trips and falls over, the worst that could happen is that somehow, you trip into someone and push them into traffic. This is exceedingly rare to the point of impossibility.

The LEAST that could happen if you're FLYING and "trip" would be you die and someone definitely gets seriously injured or killed if you land on them when falling. There is no real discussion here; flying is the equivalent of a motorcycle.

You give a legless person a wheelchair. It's simple and easy. Dan McNolegs gets a special wheelchair to accommodate him because otherwise he won't be able to function in society.

Side bar here; it really says a lot about this series that we CAN have this in-depth a conversation about it's world.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-03-28 at 02:04 PM.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

Well lets propose a thought experiment: what would your version of MHA-lets call it My Rater Academia to differentiate- be like? lets assume that all the characters actions remain the same unless the law of normal people not using their quirks affects it.

Quirks being treated superior to quirkless and people outright doing eugenics to make better quirks are already negative effects as a result of Quirks existing on society that we have seen despite the restrictions. Bakugo bullied Deku over it, and Todoroki is a victim of that. these seem to happen regardless of the law.

then there is the case of Stain. his point about heroes doing it for fame or money and not for the right reasons holds true even if he is wrong to condemn heroes for that. that is not something the law can really fix, because everyone needs to make money and the famous you get, the more money you get. you'd need to have a system where heroes earn their pay anyways. he still rise in a in My Rater Academia and still have the same problems with this world.

and then there is the case.....of Gentle Criminal, who tried to use his power for good to save someone but without proper training and unable to pass the exam, ended up hurting the hero doing it, who ironically seems to be a flying themed hero. so the only example of a flying person being screwed over is by someone else not being qualified to be a hero. that will happen, regardless of the law.

now in the case of Himiko Toga, was the law ever actually cited as the reason her parents suppressed her Quirk and her urges? was it ever cited as the reason why her counselor advised her to suppress it? or did they just find it creepy and was the counselor just there to maintain social order, not legal order or actual mental health? (which is due to cultural differences that I won't get into). because if its the latter then Himiko Toga's case is not a legal issue but a social one. which is still bad, to be fair, and in some ways a little harder because its harder to express or identify what the problem actually is. there are multiple different ways Himiko Toga's case can be read:

-a medical interpretation sees her as having a chemical imbalance linked to the sucking of blood that makes her addicted to the sensation of drinking it and turning into other people and that feeding the addiction is not a good idea.

-a more psychological interpretation sees her as having a quirk that needs proper education, support and control to make sure she can use it right and with others permission

-a sociological interpretation, sees the culture surrounding as to blame: there is no reason why certain quirks are more horrible than anyone elses beyond "ew creepy" when someone like endeavor or All-Might are arguably more dangerous to people than anything Himiko can do. himiko can suck a person blood and turn into them and maybe ruin their life in a day or two like any person committing identity theft. Endeavor could burn down entire buildings and All-Might could slaughter tons of people with his strength. the only they don't is because the culture sees their quirks as cool and Himiko's as creepy, thus they got opportunities she never did. and that ultimately, we can't determine whether Himiko could be taught to be a relatively normal member of society or not just from what we know, because we'd have to get rid of the cultural bias of some quirks being more favored than others to find that out, and no matter how much of a victim she is, she still hurt some dudes which still means jail time which y'know isn't forever hopefully there is correctional stuff that is done in those. hopefully. we haven't seen MHA prisons yet aside from One For Alls.

so given that there is cultural factors that can be to blame regardless of the law in the place, would changing the law actually help? the only one I'd say might possibly help would be Toga's and as said above, it doesn't matter if the culture around the law finds the quirk creepy or villainous anyways- just ask Shinso. some things run deeper than the legal documents.

like best case scenario, My Rater Academia would have more people using their quirks openly like that island in that one movie and not much else, but it wouldn't fix the cultural or social mores MHA's world runs on. worst case scenario if we're being realistic uh.....higher chance of quirk-related accidents, I guess? simply due to numerical inevitability? probably a mix both best and worst case, but I doubt either would really change the stuff that MHA explores aside from the Meta Liberation Army which y'know as an anime watcher, I haven't gotten to yet, so I can't yet judge them what their problem actually is with the status quo or whether they have a point. I mostly looked up Himiko's because I was interested enough in that specific case.

17. - Top - End - #587

You keep dodging around the simple reality that flying carries more inherent risk to everyone than walking does. Im starting to think you realize you dont have a rebuttal for that and are hoping that by continuing to ignore it you can pretend the reason why no flying without a license is a thing has already been fully justified. As for your absurdly specific scenario, maybe such a person could get an exemption hedged about with restrictions in altitude (no flying over people for example) and travel speed, or maybe they will insist on using a wheelchair outside the home. Either way, restrictions exist.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground

though there is still that one island in the first MHA movie where Quirks were allowed in the open and it was just fine. it may just be a matter of scale, and while its confirmed that Japan and the US have the Quirk laws we know, I doubt that given the series focus on culture and social stuff that every nation in MHA-world has the same laws or agree upon what to do with Quirks even if they just came out of two centuries of chaos, they probably all came up with their own solutions. cultures are varied and complex enough that people could settle on sorts of things to keep Quirks controlled and people relatively happy and be just as valid as the ones depicted here.

like I wouldn't be surprised if there were Quirk parks or spaces where your just allowed to go crazy with your Quirk or something so that its all in one place for people to monitor, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Quirk celebration day where people are allowed to show off their quirks, a culture could even just not buy into the hero thing and have more general Quirk license that your earn when you demonstrate this or that, or people treating it more as a social thing and putting up posters everywhere that say "Quirk Responsibly: Know your Limits!", or just treating it as a personal private issue where you meet with someone to discuss your quirks limitations and downsides and what to do with it like a psychologist and how to best use it without being detrimental y'know counselors but actually competent but no laws, just quirk psychologists to guide people. I wouldn't be surprised if artists and performers are allowed to use their quirk for the stage in others, and so on and so forth, there is just a number of possibilities that could help with this, and the setup we see honestly seems a little contrived to make a comic book superhero world with legal backing behind the heroes, because if so much funding is put into this and they work so closely with the police, why are they even separate from the police in the first place? but it might be a specialization thing.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The restrictions on quirk use might be draconian, they're probably unhelpful and they certainly have flaws, but they beat a endless list of rules, exemptions and addendums.
    All things considered they're even pretty fair*.

Certainly fairer than the selection process for heroes.
    Going by UA's entry exam and the temporary licence test the hero system is pretty much designed to favor people like Bakugo.
    To pass those tests you almost need a very aggressive quirk and the ruthlessness to use it to step over everyone else.

I mean sure, the entry exam had "rescue points", but those are strictly optional.
    And the one for the licence? Not only is that a entirely seperate test, instead of bots you have to beat up other students.
    So people like Gentle who are less predisposed towards violence- or worse, don't have a quirk that's suited to it -will have a hard time passing.
    That seems like a bigger issue than the 1:10,000,000** guy who's born with all required secondary powers not being allowed to fly.

*Yeah, yeah, they had a century or three to come up with something better.
    Exept they didn't. They had a few decades at best and considering the situation they came out of more restrictive laws probably seemed very reasonable.

**Probably less than that. Most powers seem to lack those safeties, or have them in greatly reduced form at least.
    Which makes sense I guess, seeing that they came to be naturally, not through something meddling.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ettin in the Playground

Police still have to represent the normal everyman sort of person. But peel back the veneer just a little bit and you see that the Pro Hero system is, if not just another facet of the law enforcement system, at least intertwined with it enough to be nearly inseparable.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

21. - Top - End - #591

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    The restrictions on quirk use might be draconian, they're probably unhelpful and they certainly have flaws, but they beat a endless list of rules, exemptions and addendums.
    All things considered they're even pretty fair*.

Certainly fairer than the selection process for heroes.
    Going by UA's entry exam and the temporary licence test the hero system is pretty much designed to favor people like Bakugo.
    To pass those tests you almost need a very aggressive quirk and the ruthlessness to use it to step over everyone else.

I mean sure, the entry exam had "rescue points", but those are strictly optional.
    And the one for the licence? Not only is that a entirely seperate test, instead of bots you have to beat up other students.
    So people like Gentle who are less predisposed towards violence- or worse, don't have a quirk that's suited to it -will have a hard time passing.
    That seems like a bigger issue than the 1:10,000,000** guy who's born with all required secondary powers not being allowed to fly.

*Yeah, yeah, they had a century or three to come up with something better.
    Exept they didn't. They had a few decades at best and considering the situation they came out of more restrictive laws probably seemed very reasonable.

**Probably less than that. Most powers seem to lack those safeties, or have them in greatly reduced form at least.
    Which makes sense I guess, seeing that they came to be naturally, not through something meddling.
    I admit the entry exam is pretty strongly in the offensive quirk camp for who holds the advantage, but the provisional exam? Not so much. In a grand free for all like that, there is plenty of room for tactical use of nonviolent quirks. Just watch the final ten slot clip where we see bird boy distract, purple perv pin, and even ones like dark shadow used to restrain instead of beat up. Someone like gentle would actually rock in the chaos of the free for all. Setup his rubber air fields to catch someone jumping through the sky, then tag him before he can recover, his power is pretty effective really, even if by nature he isnt a combat heavy personality. And the second half of the exam, rescuing people from a disaster, is less about beating bad guys and ALL about making the right choices and decisions as fast as they can. Remember that bakugo failed the license exam because he didnt have the right mindset to do his job properly in anything but a straight up fight. Fighting supervillains is only one portion of what heroes do after all and the license exam showed that.

But yeah, the entrance exam would, imo, be MUCH better if they had the rescue points or something along those lines kept secret but absolutely counted towards scores. After all, someone blocking some debris from hitting another candidate is hero behavior while those so desperate to "win" they step all over their fellows would cost them points. It only works if you dont tell them ahead of time of course, as the points are based on the actions of the potential students as they naturally behave. I could see someone violent like bakugo failing the exam because even though he murdered like 100 bots, he did it by knocking other competitors out of the fight or something that showed closer to villain behavior than hero. And that would give the support type quirks a way to earn points without having to be capable of blowing up bots.

22. - Top - End - #592

You keep dodging around the simple reality that flying carries more inherent risk to everyone than walking does.
    I am expliictly talking about a situation where your quirk grants fight in a manner that is as safe and natural as walking.

I don't have a rebuttal for it becuase it's utterly irrelevant to my point, which keep trying to explain.

I'm not talking about flying cars, jet packs, or explosive farts. Wings or levitation. That's what I'm talking about.

You keep bringing it up and I keep pointing to that I'm talking about a situation where it doesn't apply.

If my flight is no more dangerous to me or to anyone else than walking, I should not need a licensee to fly. By the MHA rules, I do, and I believe that that is an unfair system.

It's that simple. You're one of the people who keeps trying to make it more complicated than it is.
    You don't need an endless list of rules and exceptions.

Quirk regulation can be very simple.

1: If you use your quirk to commit something that is a variation on something that is already a crime, such as using the ability to phase through walls to enter a home without permission, X-Ray vision to look through clothes or into dressing rooms, or sheet vision to harm someone(except in cases of self defense) then you will be charged with the relevant crime(breaking and entering, whatever illegal voyeurism is called, or assault with a deadly weapon.)

2: If your quirk is dangerous to yourself or to people around you, or like requires you to get naked or something, don't use it in public or you'll be charged with reckless endangerment or public indecency unless of course there's an emergency that requires the use of your quirk. If your quirk is inherently destructive, avoid using it outside of controlled situations until you have learned to use it safely. If needed, Training can be provided.

3: If your quirk comes with compulsions or otherwise requires you to use it regularly but it's something that requires violence or else makes you a danger to people around you, work with a therapist to find ways to manage the urge and to use it safely or constructively.

4: As long as your quirk has been verified to be either harmless or your skill with it great enough that you can use it without accidentally harming someone, you can use it as much as you want, no license or special qualifications necessary. If you're flying down the street, nobody's gonna harass you unless you're committing another crime or you're flying erratically. Don't drink and fly.

No need to ban quirk use in general, just come down on the people who use their powers to hurt others or commit crimes while making power testing, training, and psychological counseling wildly available and affordable.

Restricting Quirk use in businesses only makes sense if one is trying to maintain a Capitalist economy but is also preserving the power of the capitalist class that existed before Quirks came around, so I'm not gonna get into how that should be handled becuase it would be incredibly political.

The Pro Hero system in MHA is actually pretty decent, though if I were doing it I'd make focus a bit more on responsible power usage and doing good deeds that aren't directly related to fighting crime while also making it clear to the kids in the classes that if someone from the Government is doing something illegal or moral the heroes are obligated to ignore any instructions from that individual and to treat them like any other criminal. No one is above the law.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

I mean.....

modern legal codes are pretty much nothing but an endless list of rules, exemptions and addendums. they still work. they take a lawyer to decipher and the actual technicalities are mostly only brought up in court- I doubt most people even know the intricacies of the laws we have NOW- but given that we have an entire profession dedicated to understand how the law actually works spending much of heir higher education to do so and that its generally inadvisable for someone untrained to give legal advice, I don't think that holds up as a good thing? like legal codes are things that make the Wheel of Time look like a short story in terms of length. The United states legal code has over 49 active titles/books. some more complex than others. with additional topical subdivisions. here have a research paper on how complex the US legal code is its 41 pages of analysis on law-as-a-complex-system. and thats just one nation.

in that light, there is not much that would change. the law would probably be complex regardless, the question is how many volumes would Quirks add? and would it be actually be that much of a burden, or just lawyers going "whelp there is another specialization some of us are going to have" and go back to business as usual as far as legal codes are concerned?

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ettin in the Playground

4: As long as your quirk has been verified to be either harmless or your skill with it great enough that you can use it without accidentally harming someone, you can use it as much as you want, no license or special qualifications necessary. If you're flying down the street, nobody's gonna harass you unless you're committing another crime or you're flying erratically. Don't drink and fly.
    Are you willing to discuss the inherent contradiction here or...?
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2020-03-28 at 05:34 PM.

25. - Top - End - #595

I am expliictly talking about a situation where your quirk grants fight in a manner that is as safe and natural as walking.

I don't have a rebuttal for it becuase it's utterly irrelevant to my point, which keep trying to explain.

I'm not talking about flying cars, jet packs, or explosive farts. Wings or levitation. That's what I'm talking about.

You keep bringing it up and I keep pointing to that I'm talking about a situation where it doesn't apply.

If my flight is no more dangerous to me or to anyone else than walking, I should not need a licensee to fly. By the MHA rules, I do, and I believe that that is an unfair system.

It's that simple. You're one of the people who keeps trying to make it more complicated than it is.

1: If you use your quirk to commit something that is a variation on something that is already a crime, such as using the ability to phase through walls to enter a home without permission, X-Ray vision to look through clothes or into dressing rooms, or sheet vision to harm someone(except in cases of self defense) then you will be charged with the relevant crime(breaking and entering, whatever illegal voyeurism is called, or assault with a deadly weapon.)

2: If your quirk is dangerous to yourself or to people around you, or like requires you to get naked or something, don't use it in public or you'll be charged with reckless endangerment or public indecency unless of course there's an emergency that requires the use of your quirk. If your quirk is inherently destructive, avoid using it outside of controlled situations until you have learned to use it safely. If needed, Training can be provided.

3: If your quirk comes with compulsions or otherwise requires you to use it regularly but it's something that requires violence or else makes you a danger to people around you, work with a therapist to find ways to manage the urge and to use it safely or constructively.

No need to ban quirk use in general, just come down on the people who use their powers to hurt others or commit crimes while making power testing, training, and psychological counseling wildly available and affordable.

Restricting Quirk use in businesses only makes sense if one is trying to maintain a Capitalist economy but is also preserving the power of the capitalist class that existed before Quirks came around, so I'm not gonna get into how that should be handled becuase it would be incredibly political.

The Pro Hero system in MHA is actually pretty decent, though if I were doing it I'd make focus a bit more on responsible power usage and doing good deeds that aren't directly related to fighting crime while also making it clear to the kids in the classes that if someone from the Government is doing something illegal or moral the heroes are obligated to ignore any instructions from that individual and to treat them like any other criminal. No one is above the law.
    Except you arent, unless your idea of flying is hovering a half inch above the sidewalk. Your imaginary idea of perfect safety isnt matched by any reasonable objective outlook. You cant just say that somehow being born able to fly makes people infallible fliers because that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever when you see that mistakes are a part of being human. Heck, just watch the ultimate attack training session, bakugo nearly KILLED all might because he didnt anticipate the block he cored out sending a cinder block sized chunk on a direct course to his skull. This took place during training with teachers on hand. How much worse could it have been in any other scenario? Someone could have died or been badly injured, simply by accident from using a quirk the user had full control over. The potential danger is why quirk use isnt allowed in general.

As for fair, its far more fair to restrict everyone than to try to create some minimal power level that lets some use their quirks freely while others are forbidden.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What you're talking about the absolute winners of the quirk lottery though. Those are pretty rare as far as I can tell.
    The vast majority doesn't have that kinda control/flawlessness with their quirk

That would still need a drivers licence for quirks though. If only because you to prove your quirk is in fact harmless/ your control's good enough for public use.

Well, since you can get permission to use your quirk for work it seems more like the kind of restriction we have on working heavy machinery or with food or stuff like that.
    Making sure you know all the rules and how it works.

Eh, so so.
    It's not bad, no. But I think the emphasis should be more on the rescuing/safety side of things and not using your awesome Combat quirk with overwhelming force.
    The basics are good, just the priorities are scewed.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

27. - Top - End - #597

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Are you willing to discuss the inherent contradiction here or...?
    There is no inherent contradiction.

A license needs to be renewed repeatedly and only certifies you to do certain things: a License to practice dentistry is not a license to practice psychiatry even though they're both medical licenses that require medical degrees.

A license to drive a car is not a license to drive a big rig even though they're similar skill sets.

I'm proposing that if your quirk is deemed safe, that's it. As long as you're not using it to commit a crime and not putting people in danger, you're just permanently allowed to use it as you see fit. You don't need to carry a card or a piece of paper with you at all times to prove that you're able to fly, the cops aren't going to make you land as land and check that you're certified as you're not putting people at risk or aren't flying erratically.

At absolute most, it's a thing that comes up on background check (a demolition company might be interested in an explosive quirk user but not if she didn't get/pass a test to make sure she could use it safely.) and if you were flying while committing a crime and it turns out that you never get cleared for safe flying, it adds a reckless endangerment charge to what you were already doing.

If I can fly in a way that doesn't put myself or others in any more danger than they'd be from me walking, there is no reasons o require me to go to this one very specific and hard to get into school and becoming a professional superhero just so I can get a license to fly instead of taking the bus

(Which is, from content, basically the only way to get a license to fly that wouldn't be restricted to certain scenarios.)

Someone who can see through drywall shouldn't need a special license to use that to check the structural framework of a wall without cutting into it, as long as they're a certified contractor who knows what the hell they're doing.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ettin in the Playground

A license needs to be renewed repeatedly...
    Says who?

I'm proposing that if your quirk is deemed safe, that's it.
    Who does the deeming?

29. - Top - End - #599

Says who?
    Try driving through a checkpoint with an expired license.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ettin in the Playground

But Shotos fire operates as a combustible contact poison when he emits his flames. Shoto does not control and manipulate the fire like a fire bender or pyro. Thus when he uses his flames he is always risking injury to others, and to the environment itself.

Yeah society would not want him to be using his quirk, no matter how natural, till he has specialized training, but demonstration he can use it safely and he receives his license. That is what the hero examination is, 3 years of training and certification, and provisional licenses can be gotten earlier. Japan’s school year starts in April and within 3 months some of the academy students qualify for provisional licenses (June and Sept.)

Who does the deeming?
    Plato and the Roman poet Juvenal with his Satires (Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? / Who Guards the Guardians / Who Watches the Watchmen) ... well it never goes away does it?