New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 3: Villainous Interlude

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    So I've been kind of stuck on this... really silly theory.

So it could just be art- it probably is just how art works- but baby Tenko looks a lot like Baby Deku. And All Might did directly compare Inko to Nana. And Inko has the power to attract things to her hands. And there was that weird moment where everything in the backyard was going to hell in a handbasket but that the weird... garden tool... thing just sort of... found its way into Daddy Shimura's hand?

Just. Putting that there into the world. Holds about as much water as a butterfly net, but it's just my thoughts.
    If there is any visual simularities at all it's to emphasize the point that they're mirrors of each other, and that in the proper environment one could become the other.

2. - Top - End - #32

No new chapter this week. But, we do get a Vigilantes.

And in this Vigilantes, we begin our new arc: The depression days of Eraserhead as a first year student in UA!

I'm actually SUPER hype for this. Vigilantes has proven it knows how to tackle big subjects and "Eraserhead is terminably depressed because his quirk feels useless and he's down all the time" is something they can really do a lot with.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, Shigaraki has gone full Barragan.

The rest of the chapter is like something out of One Piece.
    Last edited by Braininthejar2; 2019-08-16 at 01:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

See You Space Cowboy?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

5. - Top - End - #35

Wow.

That's an outcome I didn't see coming.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

... (censored).. !

Thats scary. Extremely so.
    Im not talking about the crater (thats scary for another reason).
    But more that he is learning from mistakes.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

I am suitably impressed. Both by this arc and this chapter in particular. The art continues being amazing, too. Way to go, Hori!

And now, well... I guess we'll stop saying "nice manga, but the stakes are low because the villains don't feel really threatening".

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

So a joking prediction.

Spoiler: 239 Chapter
    Show

Overhaul lost both hands,
    Re-Destero lost both feet.

What is the next villain going to lose when Tomura Shigaraki removes them as an obstacle?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    If there is any visual simularities at all it's to emphasize the point that they're mirrors of each other, and that in the proper environment one could become the other.
    Just to come back to this:

Deku is not a mirror to Skigaraki in a meaningful sense. They're not meaningfully contrasted in circumstances, powers, upbringing, or anything other than being connected to enemies from the previous generation.

Eri is.

Eri is a specific mirror to Shigaraki on every level down to their powers being exact opposites.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    So a joking prediction.

Spoiler: 239 Chapter
    Show

Overhaul lost both hands,
    Re-Destero lost both feet.

What is the next villain going to lose when Tomura Shigaraki removes them as an obstacle?
    Spoiler
    Show
    It has to be a head. There was another thing that popped into mind, but I since this is shonen, I don't think it would happen.

If this was seinen and was written by person that did Ichi the Killer however...
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It has to be a head. There was another thing that popped into mind, but I since this is shonen, I don't think it would happen.

If this was seinen and was written by person that did Ichi the Killer however...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean we've already seen a transwoman, a dog and now a small child burst into a blob of gore. A decapitation can't be much worse than that.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Just to come back to this:

Deku is not a mirror to Skigaraki in a meaningful sense. They're not meaningfully contrasted in circumstances, powers, upbringing, or anything other than being connected to enemies from the previous generation.

Eri is.

Eri is a specific mirror to Shigaraki on every level down to their powers being exact opposites.
    Of course Eri and Tomura Shigaraki are mirrors of each other with actual life experiences, as well as mirrors of each animating energy their quirks.

But Izuku / Deku and Tomura Shigaraki are also mirrors of each other. They are mirrors of each others ideologies and the limit of idelogy by itself without action. Tomura Shigaraki kept the Symbol of Peace Idology inside his head to try to cope, but it could old do so much, reality still itched, it still hurt him. In the end this ideology of heroes became a burdern so he liberated himself. He now finds joy in destruction both physical but also on an ideological level. Shigaraki for the most part embraces the fear while Izuku freezes due to the Fear but at the same time in other instances Izuku runs with the Fear in order to save others.

They are still mirrors of each other for they were both powerless an they used the ideology to handle the fear, but Izuku in the embraced it while Tomura pushed it away, discarded it, and attacked-decayed it.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Taking my needlessly pedantic hat on, then no they are not exact opposites power wise.
    Shigaraki's quick is called decay, but what it does seems more like breaking bonds at a molecular level now.
    Eri meanwhile rewing time.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well. This is a serious jump for Shigaraki.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not only does he gain reach with his quirk, he also gains Gigantomachia as a high-level battle asset and now the resources of the MLA. I'm assuming they also have The Doctor's approval and full cooperation now too. Forget about containing Shigaraki's insane quirk in a one-on-one combat situation, he has a literal army at his command now. I'm guessing Deku will now have to master his new suite of powers to keep up.

Also, one theme of this arc seems to be the villains pushing their personal limits. First Toga, then Twice, and now Shigaraki. Dabi, Spinner, and Compress got left out, but hey there's only so much panel space to go around.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

It seems increasingly more clear Deku -will- need the aid of his entire class to handle the end.
    Because the villains are growing rapidly.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Urrgh I hate it when power escalation just gets out of hand, I'll keep reading but this whole arc has caused me to lose alot of interest.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Official Translation of Chapter 239 is out.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapt...-hero-academia

18. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Urrgh I hate it when power escalation just gets out of hand, I'll keep reading but this whole arc has caused me to lose alot of interest.
    Uh? The implications of Allmight and All For One's full power before their crippling has always been totally bonkers. The narration in the very first chapter flat out stated that Deku would surpass Allmight. Shirataki would logically need a crazy amount of power to challenge Deku in the climax. This kind of power level for the endgame was heavily foreshadowed from day one. Yet you're complaining about it now?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    Uh? The implications of Allmight and All For One's full power before their crippling has always been totally bonkers. The narration in the very first chapter flat out stated that Deku would surpass Allmight. Shirataki would logically need a crazy amount of power to challenge Deku in the climax. This kind of power level for the endgame was heavily foreshadowed from day one. Yet you're complaining about it now?
    Actually I've been complaining about that for awhile, like when it turns out ontop of his already ridiculous power levels Deku is going to get another however many quirks.
    My problem is that we don't really see much to say that any other quirks are city destroying when All might, AFO and now Shri can now do it easily.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Official Translation of Chapter 239 is out.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapt...-hero-academia
    Huh. Does anyone else get linked to mangaplus? Or is it another regional lock thing.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Huh. Does anyone else get linked to mangaplus? Or is it another regional lock thing.
    What country are you? It works fine in the US, where Viz is licensing the manga. But other countries may have different people paying the money to license this content.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

What country are you? It works fine in the US, where Viz is licensing the manga. But other countries may have different people paying the money to license this content.
    I'm in Malaysia. I remember some time ago when a forumite linked me to the Vigilante manga, I couldn't read it either. That's how it is I guess. Whatever mangaplus is, it must be legit if it links from the Viz site, so that's a positive thing.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzer View Post
    I am suitably impressed. Both by this arc and this chapter in particular. The art continues being amazing, too. Way to go, Hori!

And now, well... I guess we'll stop saying "nice manga, but the stakes are low because the villains don't feel really threatening".
    I mean I've never felt that but yeah, this is a... a change.

God I love My Hero so much.

Also, concerning other city destroying powers: Y'all just forgot Todoroki froze half of an entire stadium because he got a little mad huh, people who think the power scaling in this series is too much. These abilities are incredibly powerful.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Also, concerning other city destroying powers: Y'all just forgot Todoroki froze half of an entire stadium because he got a little mad huh, people who think the power scaling in this series is too much. These abilities are incredibly powerful.
    *Nods* , in Episode 4 of the anime / 3 of the manga we already have a character who can knock over a robot that is at least 100 feet tall and it appears to be 200is feet tall in the manga and at least 300 feet tall in the anime. (Most of the buildings are at least 10 stories in the manga, but there appears in some panels to have buildings that are larger than 10 stories and we never see their maximum height.) In episode 15 of the anime, the palm width of the robot (not counting the fingers) seems to be at least 30 feet across. For comparison men palm width is usually about 3.3 inches so we are talking a scale that is not consistent with the robots but at least several hundred feet tall in the anime.

And these zero point robot was knocking down these buildings effortlessly without losing its center of gravity, yet could be toppled by excessive force by at least 2 undergrads.

Such robots were a skyscrape destroying threat, and if heroes can knock down skyscraper size robots doing the same thing to buildings should also apply.

-----

And via the High-End vs Endeavor fight we know that this is capable of the Nomu doing this and not just All Might and All for One. So yeah Skyscraper destroying feats in one attack was inevitable. The slightly higher scale of city destruction with 1 attack though was unforseen.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Chapter 239
    Show
    Did they figure out Hawks is a double agent?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

*Nods* , in Episode 4 of the anime / 3 of the manga we already have a character who can knock over a robot that is at least 100 feet tall and it appears to be 200is feet tall in the manga and at least 300 feet tall in the anime. (Most of the buildings are at least 10 stories in the manga, but there appears in some panels to have buildings that are larger than 10 stories and we never see their maximum height.) In episode 15 of the anime, the palm width of the robot (not counting the fingers) seems to be at least 30 feet across. For comparison men palm width is usually about 3.3 inches so we are talking a scale that is not consistent with the robots but at least several hundred feet tall in the anime.

And these zero point robot was knocking down these buildings effortlessly without losing its center of gravity, yet could be toppled by excessive force by at least 2 undergrads.

Such robots were a skyscrape destroying threat, and if heroes can knock down skyscraper size robots doing the same thing to buildings should also apply.

-----

And via the High-End vs Endeavor fight we know that this is capable of the Nomu doing this and not just All Might and All for One. So yeah Skyscraper destroying feats in one attack was inevitable. The slightly higher scale of city destruction with 1 attack though was unforseen.
    They seem to be about A tier avenger level to me. Bakugo is essentially sweaty Iron Man, and Deku used to be self-injuring Hulk. No one is Thor, Marvel or Scarlet Witch but that is a good thing setting wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    They seem to be about A tier avenger level to me. Bakugo is essentially sweaty Iron Man, and Deku used to be self-injuring Hulk. No one is Thor, Marvel or Scarlet Witch but that is a good thing setting wise.
    God I am so happy no one is Thor, Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch, etc.

Even though I love and adore several of those characters such as my Wiccan and his mom the Scarlet Witch. (Plus other insane power level characters.)

I am just glad this silly level of power is not in MHA. In fact I am kind of frustrated that AfO and All Might are as powerful as they are sometimes.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

The Hulk picked up an entire mountain once, didn't he? Is say that's about an order of magnitude higher in scale than making a crater in a city.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The Hulk picked up an entire mountain once, didn't he? Is say that's about an order of magnitude higher in scale than making a crater in a city.
    Movie version Hulk then :P
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

30. - Top - End - #60
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

He didn't quite pick it up, but he did hold it up when it was going to fall on everyone.

Spoiler: Strongest one there is
    Show