New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 3: Villainous Interlude

Didnt he get instagibbed before he even knew he was in trouble? Jeanist didnt do the naruto route where he got his butt handed to him extensively over the course of a 30 minute hopeless battle as he kept getting back up, he got ganked like a noob by an overwhelmingly powerful bad guy.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Honor is also a foolish thing.
    Which definition of honor are we using?

Fame
    Respect
    Veneration
    Moral Excellence
    Privilege
    Glory
    Praise
    etc.

Honor is one of those words that has so many definitions that often we play language games when we call it foolish. Often we wish Honor part A is a higher priority than Honor part B or Honor part G. Aka we treasure honor but which facet and angle of honor we treasure depends on the context.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2020-04-04 at 03:02 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

Edit:
    Which definition of honor are we using?

Fame
    Respect
    Veneration
    Moral Excellence
    Privilege
    Glory
    Praise
    etc.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Didnt he get instagibbed before he even knew he was in trouble? Jeanist didnt do the naruto route where he got his butt handed to him extensively over the course of a 30 minute hopeless battle as he kept getting back up, he got ganked like a noob by an overwhelmingly powerful bad guy.
    Pretty much.

can't really call that a sacrifice, just him being ambushed out of nowhere. not even honorable. sacrifice is something to be avoided when logically possible, it is a very extreme action to take for very extreme circumstances with everything lining up right. it is saddening that he fell before he can do anything when taken by surprise and I respect him as someone like a soldier or police who puts their life on line, but to play it up as martyr-like is exaggeration.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2020-04-04 at 03:11 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #664
    Troll in the Playground

Honor is also a foolish thing. he was there, he should focused on actually saving him, rather dying to try. he can still dodge while getting someone else out of the way.
    Wow, how foolish he was to protect all his allies from an attack from an enemy on par with All Might, and then he had the gall to continue trying to capture the evildoer because he was to immensely dangerous and needed to be stopped before he killed all of them. And god in heaven no! He actually had the sheer temerity to take time to rest and heal before going and and doing more hero work. Clearly these are the actions of a terrible who is person totally undeserving the title of Top Ten Hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    No he protected the entire hero group from the first attack at his own expense then got taken out by a more focused direct attack after that.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2020-04-04 at 03:20 PM.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

5. - Top - End - #665

So I just got to watch season 4 episode 25. Dang man,
    Spoiler
    Show
    that endeavor fight was awesome! Did he actually lose that eye? I loved how he basically went full all might in there. Everything from go beyond, to plus ultra to a raised fist of victory. :p I also got to see his wife and other kids interact which was interesting. Its impressive how their mom is unable to face him yet still able to acknowledge that he seems to be trying to make up for being such a monster. She is one tough cookie.

I have to admit, I like the endeavor character. Not as a person as such, but for the character arc he has. It raises all sorts of interesting questions. He seems to honestly be trying to be less of a monster to his family, less of a jerk to everyone else, trying to improve himself and be a better person, but it makes you ask yourself, CAN he be forgiven? Does he deserve forgiveness for the things he has done? Is it possible for him to repair things with the rest of his family? I get the feeling these are questions with no one right answer. That it is a personal choice as to if the various people he has hurt most can ever forgive him, or if he can ever make up for his behavior.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #666

The only thing I DON'T like about Endeavor's arc here is that;
    Spoiler
    Show
    he DOESN'T lose the eye. He still has it, the attack baaaarely missed taking it out.

Ultimately the answer of "should Endeavor be forgiven" depends on the person, both in and out of universe.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, it's a bit of a pity that they couldn't include the denouement of this little arc in the fourth season, because it really helps setting up both the current Endeavor as a character, and the various viewpoints other characters have of him. That said, I can't fault them for choosing to go out with a bang, because what a bang this episode was.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    The only thing I DON'T like about Endeavor's arc here is that;
    Spoiler
    Show
    he DOESN'T lose the eye. He still has it, the attack baaaarely missed taking it out.
    i was initially bothered by that as well... But now I like that the scar makes a clearer connection between him and his son. There's a bit more of a dramatic irony the way it is.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2020-04-05 at 06:51 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    i was initially bothered by that as well... But now I like that the scar it makes a clearer connection between him and his son. There's a bit more of a dramatic irony the way it is.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly the SLUUURP wouldn't be as funny if he was completely missing that eye. Still funny, but the dark humor would have crossed a line, I think.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

10. - Top - End - #670

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    We get a tease regarding Dabi, get to see some of Hawks' backstory, and get to see that Mirko is pretty confident she's gonna die. Endeavor saves her, and... Tokoyami saves Hawks! Be careful Tokoyami!!

11. - Top - End - #671

I also wanted to mention in the episode I posted about, i really liked hawks when he was talking to endeavor before the fight started. At first it sounded like a lazy shikamaru stance on wanting to be an average ninja who married an average woman and had a normal family with no big adventure, then he went deeper and said how what he wanted was for every hero to have plenty of spare time with nothing to do which made his stance different, he didnt want to be lazy and take it easy, he wanted to make the world so safe that all heroes were bored at their job and had nothing heroic to do most of the time. All of a sudden he went from every word ticking off endeavor to actually I think, getting his respect.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Dabi also brings up a point that's been left hanging. He never did care about the League of Villains, so it's interesting that he would reaffirm that right now while name-dropping Stain. And serves as a chilling (lol) counterpoint to Twice's sentiments of villainous camaraderie.

And Tokoyami saves the day. That's not a fight I was expecting, but hell I'll take it.

Also, Fatgum's taxi mode is super adorable and totally in character for the friendly hero.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yea the idea that Dabi has secretly been the biggest Stain fan in the whole group, taking his twisted philosophy to its final conclusion that no heroes exist whatsoever is kind of terrifying. And his total disregard for Twice's death just reinforces the tragedy of Twice.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

14. - Top - End - #674

New chapters!
    Spoiler
    Show

My Hero is a pretty simple one; the fighting continues and it is very good. Shigaraki's pod got busted open a bit, but the process is continuing. I am predicting... bad things.

Meanwhile in My Hero Viiglantes...

Spoiler
    Show
    I almost cried at Knuckleduster's letter. Holy **** this is good. And they did the thing where "My Hero" gets said in universe in the right context. It is really good and I love it and I'm sad this is going to be over soon.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Titan in the Playground

I've finally watched Episode 88. real awesome. I respect Endeavor for saving those people and for trying to be better, even if I can't personally forgive for what he did to his family. and while his flames were cool and a preview of half of what Shoto will be able to do? I'm pretty sure Shoto himself has conflicting emotions about this just as I am.

I'm more interested in Hawks. Seriously, I thought wings was an oddly normal quirk for a new 2nd place, but then he started shooting the feathers out and controlling them to save everyone then used one was a feather-tana to attack a Nomu. all the while balancing the fact that if he throws too many feathers he will fall so he recalls them back. Then catches all the rocks that Endeavor cut up with his feathers. That must take loads of dedication and skill for him to juggle all that. Hawks is a technique/speed character if I ever saw one. Like that one reveal instantly made him much cooler to me and explained why he is at the No. 2 spot now, because he is just the coolest guy and chill while hes at it.

but Toshinori being agape at Endeavor doing something awesome is a rare treat, probably wondering if this is how its like to watch himself sometimes.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm more interested in Hawks. Seriously, I thought wings was an oddly normal quirk for a new 2nd place, but then he started shooting the feathers out and controlling them to save everyone then used one was a feather-tana to attack a Nomu. all the while balancing the fact that if he throws too many feathers he will fall so he recalls them back. Then catches all the rocks that Endeavor cut up with his feathers. That must take loads of dedication and skill for him to juggle all that.
    Did you watch the ED for this season? There are a few hints there.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Did you watch the ED for this season? There are a few hints there.
    I don't know what an ED is, so no. I think I like being surprised better.

18. - Top - End - #678

I don't know what an ED is, so no. I think I like being surprised better.
    The ending credits.

Also yeah, Endeavor legtimately trying to improve himself is good, and I love how the series itself looks at you and says "oh, you don't forgive him? Good. You don't HAVE to, he's doing this to so he doesn't continue to be awful, and he understands that it is not his place to demand forgiveness."

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Also... "Proeminence... BUUUUUUUUUUUUUURN!!!!!" was ****ing hype as hell!!!!
    Homebrew Stuff:

20. - Top - End - #680

The ending credits.

Also yeah, Endeavor legtimately trying to improve himself is good, and I love how the series itself looks at you and says "oh, you don't forgive him? Good. You don't HAVE to, he's doing this to so he doesn't continue to be awful, and he understands that it is not his place to demand forgiveness."
    Exactly, its an interesting twist on the shonen trope of bad guy getting redemption and all is forgiven. It seems to happen all the time, the sasukes, the vegetas, they are bad guys then they get redeemed by the heart of the cards or the power of friendship or therapy punch no jutsu and quickly boom, they become part of the cast of heroes and nobody brings up the time they tried to murder the rulers of the major powers in the world, or tried to blow up the planet or pulled dirty tricks to try to become shaman king, whatever. I think its primarily because of the TYPE of evil here, its smaller but more personal, more relatable, so its harder to overlook it. "Im going to blow up the planet!" Is such an over the top evil thing that when they dont and they start being good its harder to hold a grudge because its outside of our full comprehension, but being an abusive jerk to your family is something thats all too easy to relate to and thus harder to let go of.

21. - Top - End - #681

New chapter!
    Spoiler
    Show

Endeavor stabilizes Mirko and goes off to fight the lead High-Grade. Present Mic finishes off, mostly, the fight with The Doctor and stops the mutation process, and it seems as though they've done it! The day is saved...?

I suspect something will happen to disrupt everything, all stemming from one very basic point. Understandbly, the heroes are not malicious, and have not turned Shigaraki into meat paste the instant they got a hold of him. This will be their doom.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Titan in the Playground

Well meanwhile im not buying it at all.
    "Oh my God, you killed the lord of evils dream, you bastards" The Mad Doctor yells with tears in his eyes.
    As its revealed that the big obvious pod contains a Shigaraki who are "conviniently" lifeless.

My money is on that being the decoy pod. The real Shigaraki is in another castle.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ettin in the Playground

So a silly hypothetical question about tactics and the new chapter.

Spoiler
    Show

Why isn't Class 1-B student Neito Monoma / Phantom Thief with Eraserhead / Shota Aizawa?

Neito's Copy Quirk that allows him to copy Eraserhead's Erasure would get rid of Eraserhead's only two downsides. (Blinking deactivates the quirk forcing a reactivation, and Eraserhead can't look everywhere at once.)

Literally there is no downsides besides Neito may deactivate Eraserhead or vice versa. Except once again we know how to negate this downside for we as readers know wearing full body cloaks can get rid of this Erasure downside based off the Final Exam Arc with Eraserhead vs Momo + Shoto.

Literally having the power to stop Talking Nomo just like that is worth putting an inexperienced student in harms way. The upside is worth the small risk.

24. - Top - End - #684

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    So a silly hypothetical question about tactics and the new chapter.

Spoiler
    Show

Why isn't Class 1-B student Neito Monoma / Phantom Thief with Eraserhead / Shota Aizawa?

Neito's Copy Quirk that allows him to copy Eraserhead's Erasure would get rid of Eraserhead's only two downsides. (Blinking deactivates the quirk forcing a reactivation, and Eraserhead can't look everywhere at once.)

Literally there is no downsides besides Neito may deactivate Eraserhead or vice versa. Except once again we know how to negate this downside for we as readers know wearing full body cloaks can get rid of this Erasure downside based off the Final Exam Arc with Eraserhead vs Momo + Shoto.

Literally having the power to stop Talking Nomo just like that is worth putting an inexperienced student in harms way. The upside is worth the small risk.
    There are two issues with this. One, Monoma might not be able to copy Eraserhead's quirk. Maybe he'll just get Eraserhead's eyes and not the actual power, like how he gets Eri's horn but not the ability to use it. After all, damage to the eye itself caused damage to the quirk, so it's not like he's shooting out beams of power erasure, it's the eye itself that matters.

Second... Monoma in the middle of all this chaos would be so unbelievably unreliable that I can basically guarantee you he would look at the wrong person at the wrong moment, or blink at the worst moment, or just panic, and someone would die. You are basically asking for a kid we've seen is unable to properly behave himself during lunch to be in the middle of a fire fight and just stand there, without blinking.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ettin in the Playground

Second... Monoma in the middle of all this chaos would be so unbelievably unreliable that I can basically guarantee you he would look at the wrong person at the wrong moment, or blink at the worst moment, or just panic, and someone would die. You are basically asking for a kid we've seen is unable to properly behave himself during lunch to be in the middle of a fire fight and just stand there, without blinking.
    I see Monoma as a person who creates delusions for he has a problem with being bored, yet during moments of excitement such as the mock battles we seen him in he is extremely reliable. Furthermore even in non intense situations when he finds something interesting he is also far more reliable.

Maybe my analysis is wrong but if I am right giving him this challenging opportunity will cause him to shine and bring the best out of him.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Titan in the Playground

Cant see why your spoilering theories like this. Anyway certain full body cloaks did that? dont they just make it impossible to see who your erasing?

This is likely the issue though. It was judget its -not- worth the risk getting someone to green into the most brutal fighting.
    Erasure got inhuman agility to keep him safe. Neito dont have that.

There are two issues with this. One, Monoma might not be able to copy Eraserhead's quirk. Maybe he'll just get Eraserhead's eyes and not the actual power, like how he gets Eri's horn but not the ability to use it. After all, damage to the eye itself caused damage to the quirk, so it's not like he's shooting out beams of power erasure, it's the eye itself that matters.
    Your misremembering the reason for why he could not use Eri's quirk. He explained it himself. Some quirks, like Eri's, slowly accumulate power over time.
    But when he copy a quirk he get it at base level. So its useless. The same way its useless to copy One for All before it has had a chance to pass on.

Maybe my analysis is wrong but if I am right giving him this challenging opportunity will cause him to shine and bring the best out of him.
    I think your quite correct. Likely Neito's biggest problem is his self worth. As we saw he straight up see himself as a side character.
    But we also got examples of extremely competent *cough*Bakugo*cough* people with horrible personalities.
    So i think its a mistake judging combat competence on him acting out during lunch.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ettin in the Playground

Monoma technically can copy and use quirks with a "stockpiling" effect. It's just that there's no conceivable way he'll stockpile enough of whatever to actually be effective in the minutes that he's able to access the quirk.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Barbarian in the Playground

Monoma is a kid. We've seen that, despite the best students having sheer power comparable to the pros, they're all way behind adults in experience, reaction time, decision making and so on. He'd just be instantly killed by a High-End due to evading half a second too late, or something.

The heroes just barely accepted to use high-school students in the first phase of their mass assault to the villains' headquarters, keeping them protected and taking them away from the battlefield before the real fighting begins. There's no way they would stick a student in the all-star team that goes straight to the core of the high-end production facility.

29. - Top - End - #689

Oh that reminds me, we had a new Vigilantes chapter as well!

It's time for Koichi to begin his training so he can properly stop Queen*Step. And it's honestly kinda beautiful, since it is the culmination of the entire series so far. We see that he is RATHER fast, and that the techniques Tensei taught him are serving him very well. We get to see the sheer breadth and width of his pulse blasts, which he calls Shooty-Go-Blam which is a super hilarious name up until we see that at full strength THEY ARE JUST LASER BEAMS. We also get the... unbelievably cute and sad flashback showing when he first learned of that level of power, where he judged if he should use it through Pop*Step's expression when she sees it and it's just... gahg, this is so cute and good!

30. - Top - End - #690
    Titan in the Playground

Oh that reminds me, we had a new Vigilantes chapter as well!
    Urgg.. its such a pain that there isnt any legal options for reading it that i have found.
    For some obscure reason Manga Plus only has the first 18 chapters. In Spanish.