New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 3: Villainous Interlude

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    That feels reasonable, yes?
    It was a good shot, yes.

But the real reason why we're not going to reach consensus is because I think different posters in this thread rather self-evidently come from different legal and moral systems. That's when we're even talking about the same thing.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    What’s unreasonable about putting a stalking serial killer with a double digit body count away for life?
    Again, snide comments aside, mental health and rehabilitation centers are not prisons.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

Toga is a minor with a diagnosed, yet untreated mental illness. As far as we are aware no attempt was made to take care of her mental health by her caregivers other than ignoring the problem. Placing a mental burden causing her to snap. She should very much pay for her actions because these things are still horrible that she did, but look at Labrava, and what could have happened to her if she didn't get help from Gentle.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Colossus in the Playground

I imagine that in a better world, one where toga got proper treatment and care from an early age, she would be a somewhat creepy girl who drinks a glass of blood from time to time to deal with her compulsion. She would probably be somewhat lonely as thats a bit much for most kids to just accept while growing up around her, but she would likely be far better balanced overall and less likely to attack people to drain their blood like a shape shifting vampire. Because she would have learned from an early age that taking blood from others without permission is wrong, here is how you can get what you need safely, and we ignore that whole conceal dont feel garbage that seems to cause endless issues no matter if your power is shape shifting through blood drinking or shifting an entire ecology into antartica at will. She most likely would never have developed the drain who I love fixation she has because she would have been getting the blood her body craves in an acceptable manner for years.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #755

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    She most likely would never have developed the drain who I love fixation she has because she would have been getting the blood her body craves in an acceptable manner for years.
    Yeah, that's obviously a result of the specifics manner in which she snapped: Stabbing someone she had a crush on and drinking his blood, which brought her to tears with how good it felt to finally give into her compulsion. Obviously, that would have shaped the nature of her compulsion going forward.

I imagine that if she'd been on a work experience trip and stabbed a salaryman for blood, she'd be murdering salarymen.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #756

You know, here's a thought I recently had about Toga.

The fact that she went for the bendy straw instead of just chomping down and vampirizing that ****. A part of her is still trying to fit with what her parents forced on her, of note using her quirk, of not biting and sucking up blood. Using the straw, or her more modern spike tubes, isn't actually fully fulfilling that compulsion either, which is another way she's probably falling apart. It's enough to help, but not completely.

7. - Top - End - #757

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Yeah, that's obviously a result of the specifics manner in which she snapped: Stabbing someone she had a crush on and drinking his blood, which brought her to tears with how good it felt to finally give into her compulsion. Obviously, that would have shaped the nature of her compulsion going forward.

I imagine that if she'd been on a work experience trip and stabbed a salaryman for blood, she'd be murdering salarymen.
    Yeah I left it as "Most likely" because I dont know if there might also be a part of her quirk that pushed her in that direction anyways, but I imagine just regular feedings without guilt would have made it far less likely to become an issue even if there WAS an emotional context to her blood drinking quirk like with la brava.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

Forget Toga for a moment, what do you think of Shigaraki? Do you think his desire to destroy the world is a result of his Quirk? Do you think there ever could've been a situation where his Quirk could be used constructively?

9. - Top - End - #759

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
    Forget Toga for a moment, what do you think of Shigaraki? Do you think his desire to destroy the world is a result of his Quirk? Do you think there ever could've been a situation where his Quirk could be used constructively?
    If he wasn't abused, yes. Absolutely. We explicitly have seen multiple times in the past couple arcs that he IS capable of learning how to choose who is or isn't decayed at his touch. Imagine how useful he'd be at clearing rubble from disaster areas if he could instantly turn to ash an entire collapsed building without hurting a single hair on anyone inside.

His quirk had a compulsion too of course. That twitching, nasty itch in his hand that was a combination of his quirk and the stress of his abuse. Compulsions tend to BE partly caused by abuse, and given Toga's parents are plainly abusive as well it's likely that any blood compulsion she had was made stronger by them.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-06-05 at 08:21 AM.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ettin in the Playground

Thirteen literally has a ranged version of Decay and they're a hero just fine.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

11. - Top - End - #761

I mean, Quirks want to be used so he'd probably have some desire to destroy things but I imagine that it's the combination of the abuse and All For One's influence that drove it to the point of "destroy the world except for my minions and the things they like"

Constructively? Making things age/decay to dust could be useful in a rescue scenario: dissolve a steel beam to get the people trapped inside free.

Or maybe the disposal of say, nuclear waste. Getting rid of it once it's no longer good for generating power is a major issue. A Shigaraki who wasn't abused, or was rescued from the abuse by... Literally anyone else, could make a fortune cleaning up the leftovers from nuclear power plants.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Troll in the Playground

I imagine that in a better world, one where toga got proper treatment and care from an early age, she would be a somewhat creepy girl who drinks a glass of blood from time to time to deal with her compulsion. She would probably be somewhat lonely as thats a bit much for most kids to just accept while growing up around her, but she would likely be far better balanced overall and less likely to attack people to drain their blood like a shape shifting vampire. Because she would have learned from an early age that taking blood from others without permission is wrong, here is how you can get what you need safely, and we ignore that whole conceal dont feel garbage that seems to cause endless issues no matter if your power is shape shifting through blood drinking or shifting an entire ecology into antartica at will. She most likely would never have developed the drain who I love fixation she has because she would have been getting the blood her body craves in an acceptable manner for years.
    Or perhaps she would have become a serial killer anyways. Heck she might even be more successful, since she might have a better grasp on her power not have outed herself with her first victim. There are more then a few examples of that kind of person coming from a well adjusted and happy family. And even if she was compelled by her quirk and her upbringing to be a monster, Toga seems to have at least some grasp on the concept of right and wrong. She could have turned herself in ages ago to seek help, even after the first victim. Instead she stalks victims and murders heroes. Just find that great cell right next to Stain and All for One for her.

His desire to destroy society seems much more motivated by the aftermath of his families deaths then anything specific to his quirk. And yea, provided he had control a quirk like that could be endlessly useful. More then just clearing out rubble and rescue work, if he didn't want a hero job imagine how much he could make doing waste disposal at landfills or working for companies that have to shred sensitive documents for security purposes.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2020-06-05 at 08:54 AM.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

13. - Top - End - #763

Or perhaps she would have become a serial killer anyways. Heck she might even be more successful, since she might have a better grasp on her power not have outed herself with her first victim. There are more then a few examples of that kind of person coming from a well adjusted and happy family. And even if she was compelled by her quirk and her upbringing to be a monster, Toga seems to have at least some grasp on the concept of right and wrong. She could have turned herself in ages ago to seek help, even after the first victim. Instead she stalks victims and murders heroes. Just find that great cell right next to Stain and All for One for her.
    Turned herself in? To the people who basically created her? Made her the way she is through their ignorance? Why would she do that when the so called good guys failed her from childhood? As for your "well people go crazy in well adjusted families anyways" Well yes, but its less likely considered she would have been receiving treatment from the age of 4 to deal with her quirk and any mental effects it may have.

14. - Top - End - #764

One of the major, if not THE major theme, of My Hero Academia is how society fails people. You can see it in basically every major character.

Deku was failed by society, they left him by the wayside and created a world where someone like him is effectively considered less than human because of how he was born.

Shigaraki was failed by society, left in an abusive household because of the good intentions of his grandmother. And after he killed them, not one single solitary person tried to help this obviously homeless, abused kid because "he looks creepy... eh, someone else will help".

The entire Todoroki family was failed because their dad is just... allowed to participate in light eugenics. It's an illegal thing to do in universe but he's allowed to do it!

Gentle was failed because of his good intentions. He WANTED to be a hero, but he wasn't able to get the training he needed. Toga and Twice and Magne and Snipper were all failed by society, slipping through the cracks or the world's support networks, having their lives ruined by the rich, being unable to live as themselves and being unprotected by the rules of society due to where they lived.

Overhaul in an interesting contrast, is exactly what some people are saying Toga is. Overhaul was, in his mind, failed by his own villainous society. One of his main motives is to "redeem" himself... even if it means harming the person he considers his dad to do it.

Hell, even BAKUGO AND HAWKS were failed by society. Every problem Bakugo has stems from the fact that society caught him TOO HARD, failed to curb his ego. Hawks, meawhile, was an orphan that got picked up by the government and trained into what is effectively a super weapon assassin. He is an example of how even getting saved from the cracks of society can **** you up.

So yeah I don't think life in prison, stuck in a hole until you die, or getting executed is a proper ending for basically anyone in this series. It is a series about how society has failed and we should be better.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-06-05 at 09:11 AM.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Troll in the Playground

Turned herself in? To the people who basically created her? Made her the way she is through their ignorance? Why would she do that when the so called good guys failed her from childhood? As for your "well people go crazy in well adjusted families anyways" Well yes, but its less likely considered she would have been receiving treatment from the age of 4 to deal with her quirk and any mental effects it may have.
    Because turning herself in is the better option compared to serial killing. Because if her issues from her quirk are so severe she can no longer grasp that "murder is bad and I should stop" then the safety of literally everyone else requires the "max security villain prison" answer. And if it isn't so bad she can no longer grasp "murder bad" and she is doing it anyways... then I guess "max security villain prison" stays the right answer there. Because blaming society only goes so far and account for only so much, and she looks like she crossed that line before she was even introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    So yeah I don't think life in prison, stuck in a hole until you die, or getting executed is a proper ending for basically anyone in this series. It is a series about how society has failed and we should be better.
    Well, letting Toga walk free after everything she has done would be compounding failure with failure. Because her next victim will probably not be warmed in their grave with thoughts of how hard life was for the person who killed them.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2020-06-05 at 09:12 AM.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

Turned herself in? To the people who basically created her? Made her the way she is through their ignorance? Why would she do that when the so called good guys failed her from childhood?
    This is a sort of self-serving logic that actually gets people in worse messed and convicted of more and worse charges than if they'd just turned themselves in. Yes, such thinking can be understandable from someone who's been burned by the system... but doesn't actually make you less culpable before any system of law I know of. Furthermore, unless you agree that Toga's compulsion extends to general antisocial behaviour, you can't pin this on her Quirk. Killing people she may not have chosen, but being a career criminal, she had to.

17. - Top - End - #767

Because turning herself in is the better option compared to serial killing. Because if her issues from her quirk are so severe she can no longer grasp that "murder is bad and I should stop" then the safety of literally everyone else requires the "max security villain prison" answer. And if it isn't so bad she can no longer grasp "murder bad" and she is doing it anyways... then I guess "max security villain prison" stays the right answer there. Because blaming society only goes so far and account for only so much, and she looks like she crossed that line before she was even introduced.
    The purpose of prisons is not to just seal away criminals until they die. It is, on paper at least, meant to be rehabilitation.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Troll in the Playground

The purpose of prisons is not to just seal away criminals until they die. It is, on paper at least, meant to be rehabilitation.
    In theory sure, rehabilitation should be an important part of the "punishment" part of "crime and punishment". Not for serial killers, or other people who clearly have shown themselves to be incapable of interacting with society and not ruining it for everyone.

19. - Top - End - #769

In theory sure, rehabilitation should be an important part of the "punishment" part of "crime and punishment". Not for serial killers, or other people who clearly have shown themselves to be incapable of interacting with society and not ruining it for everyone.
    Everyone deserves a chance at redemption

20. - Top - End - #770
    Troll in the Playground

Everyone deserves a chance at redemption
    Probably not, and best second chance I see her having she zoomed past when she decided to idolize Stain (bottom tier human being that he is) to and join the league of villains to escalate her crimes instead of turning herself in to seek help.

21. - Top - End - #771

Probably not, and best second chance I see her having she zoomed past when she decided to idolize Stain (bottom tier human being that he is) to and join the league of villains to escalate her crimes instead of turning herself in to seek help.
    Seeking help got her into the care of a Quack who gave her advice that did nothing but make her feel bad.

Choosing to live for the freedom to indulge in her urges is, assuming it's not a rationalization, misguided, but it's a reasonable response to suffering such abuse. If her urges were something that didn't involve hurting people, there would be absolutely nothing wrong with making that decision.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

Some characters in the League of Villains strike me as functionally irredeemable - redeeming them would require such drastic change in basic values and attitude that they'd be unrecognizable as the same people.

23. - Top - End - #773

Some characters in the League of Villains strike me as functionally irredeemable - redeeming them would require such drastic change in basic values and attitude that they'd be unrecognizable as the same people.
    For some people, redemption is killing the bad person they used to be. Like that's A Thing.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

For some people, redemption is killing the bad person they used to be. Like that's A Thing.
    Yes, it's a thing. "Redemption equals Death" taken metaphorically. Personally, I'm not sure it's all that different from literally executing someone and letting someone else carry on.

(I'm not sure if I can track the article down anymore, but I read a referate of a study done with relatives of people who have memory issues. The basic question posed to them was "when does a person cease to be themselves?" The most given answer was "when their basic morals change". The implication is that if a person's basic nature changes, they might have as well been killed and replaced by a stranger as far as their relatives are concerned.)

25. - Top - End - #775
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Seeking help got her into the care of a Quack who gave her advice that did nothing but make her feel bad.

Choosing to live for the freedom to indulge in her urges is, assuming it's not a rationalization, misguided, but it's a reasonable response to suffering such abuse. If her urges were something that didn't involve hurting people, there would be absolutely nothing wrong with making that decision.
    Seeking help would still be the objectively correct decision.

She could indulge her urge without killing. As skilled as she is to murder so many heroes in a fight she easily just just be a creepy stalker who ambushed people, drains blood, and then leaves weakened victims behind. That would still be freaking aweful but it would be different. She chooses to be murderer involving in a maniacal plot to tear down all of society in a borderline genocidal rampage.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Soooooo....

New chapter!

Spoiler: Chapter 274
    Show
    Shiggy has uh... Certainly gotten a hell of an upgrade considering he's treating Endeavor as a distraction mostly. I've seen some people comment that they think this is the endgame arc for MHA and I really don't get where that's coming from, since to me this looks like the heroes are going to get the ever-loving crap beaten out of them.

I think the reference to Ragdoll shows how her Search quirk has intermixed with AFO to create an OFA detection quirk, which raises an exciting future for the series where the heroes are either forced to hole up with safety in numbers or go underground and Deku has to be constantly on the move to avoid being caught by Gettin' Shiggy With It.

I'm still not totally on board with Shigaraki getting AFO, but I suppose it makes a certain degree of sense within the themes of MHA.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Julian84 View Post
    Soooooo....

New chapter!

Spoiler: Chapter 274
    Show
    Shiggy has uh... Certainly gotten a hell of an upgrade considering he's treating Endeavor as a distraction mostly. I've seen some people comment that they think this is the endgame arc for MHA and I really don't get where that's coming from, since to me this looks like the heroes are going to get the ever-loving crap beaten out of them.

I think the reference to Ragdoll shows how her Search quirk has intermixed with AFO to create an OFA detection quirk, which raises an exciting future for the series where the heroes are either forced to hole up with safety in numbers or go underground and Deku has to be constantly on the move to avoid being caught by Gettin' Shiggy With It.

I'm still not totally on board with Shigaraki getting AFO, but I suppose it makes a certain degree of sense within the themes of MHA.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So I do think we are nearing end game, but I think we are still a bit off from what the last arc will be. But League of *******s Villains is bleeding membership over the last bit and Shigaraki being at what will probably be the height of his personal power I think the we are seeing what the end goals might me. I mostly say that though because Shikaraki is seems like he isn't about to back down and go back into hiding again considering his character growth and current overwhelming power.

28. - Top - End - #778

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think this is end game, but I do think it is the end of Part One, if that makes sense.

Like Deku's narration said at the start of the arc; this is the day heroes vanished from this city. I'm pretty sure we'll be getting a time skip after this.

Dragnau, I have a question. Why do you spell Shigaraki's name wrong?

29. - Top - End - #779
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well that's one way to get the main characters in the middle of the action. Seems like things are getting desperate pretty soon, and Gigantomachia isn't even there... at this point, I think the only thing that's going to save the heroes will be that 75% completion rate.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

Soooooo....
    I guess it is time for a change of topic

Spoiler
    Show

And a little surprised Endeavor survived this encounter.
    Certainly think it would be his swansong.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar