New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 3: Villainous Interlude

New Chapter (Chapter 240, released August 25th, 2019)

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapt...-hero-academia

The shawarma chapter.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

I could totally see ALL MIGHT pulling that off.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    God I love this series. I like how Twice is still messed up, I like how Compress (who lost an arm in their last major fight) is basically untouched this time because he's not having anything happen to him anymore if he can help it. I like Toga's eyepatch even if it likely won't stay, and how I'm pretty sure she stole Curious's coat, or at least her style. Shigaraki, obsessed with touch and feel, scratching at the bristles on his coat is also cute.

Also Hawks being like "oh wow I really ****ed up oh god" was real, real good. I'm excited to see if they know he's a traitor or not. I also like the new name of their group, "Paranormal" is a fascinating term.

4. - Top - End - #64

Oh also new Vigilante!

We get to see Eraserhead doing his best to become who he is... and we also get to see Midnight in the outfit the Hero Association banned her from using. Nice.

PRESENT MIC HAD A PODCAST.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

I am now wondering if Toga steals blood from a corpse can she steal someones quirk?

Spoiler: Spoiler to make the image smaller
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    I am now wondering if Toga steals blood from a corpse can she steal someones quirk?

Spoiler: Spoiler to make the image smaller
    Show

I mean in the strictest of sense yeah, probably. She doesn't permanently hold it, she has it as long as the blood is digesting. Incidently her insides must process stuff pretty differently from other people, since blood is so lacking in any actual nutrients that it rockets through the system.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hawks finds himself in the wrong genre altogether, as the protagonist of an espionage thriller. Can he get the word out in time? Are the villains already on to him? What other terrible things will he have to do to earn their trust and access the intel he needs?

The fact that he knows the truth of the fight in the city should already be a pretty big deal, though he probably can't prove any of it.

Seeing Gigan just chilling in the crowd is pretty funny also.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

My new pet theory: Hawk gets killed, but manages to gets a few info to Endeavor. Endeavor's past gets outed, the political side of the Liberation Front gains traction, and Endeavor escapes "justice" because of what Hawk told him and becomes an illegal vigilante.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Who are these nerds in My Villain Academia? Some bunch of upstart heroes at school?

Also is that:

Spoiler: 241
    Show
    Kaminari doing a Liberation Army salute?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

My new pet theory: Hawk gets killed, but manages to gets a few info to Endeavor. Endeavor's past gets outed, the political side of the Liberation Front gains traction, and Endeavor escapes "justice" because of what Hawk told him and becomes an illegal vigilante.
    Except Endeavor dont have a past to out. And i cant see what sort of Justice he would want to escape.

Heh.. else Shoto is hilariously ignorant of what goes on around him.
    Guess he has lived an extremely sheltered life.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

11. - Top - End - #71

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Except Endeavor dont have a past to out. And i cant see what sort of Justice he would want to escape.
    You're assuming that the fact Endeavor abused his wife so badly for so long she is permanently in a mental institute is public knowledge...

I am not so sure of that.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

New chapter (241) released Sept 1, 2019.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-he...79?action=read

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

My theory was Dabi exposing the way he abused his family, and the propaganda/political sides of the Liberation Front focusing fire on him until his license gets revoked, or something.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

You're assuming that the fact Endeavor abused his wife so badly for so long she is permanently in a mental institute is public knowledge...

I am not so sure of that.
    Im not assuming anything. Endeavor is clearly a powerful person, and so likely has the influence to cover up his dirty laundry.

The problem is that his wife is in a mental institute after having attacked her own son.
    Thats to start with likely public knowledge, but ignored because mental health is such a massive tabu.

And furthermore, any potential abuse has likely been psychical, so its utterly impossible to prove.
    But when Dabi suddenly attacks a prominent public figure, then the burden of proof lies with him.
    With that, as well as how easy it is to place all blame on his wife for being mentally unstable, then its likely impossible to make anything stick to Endevor.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Im not assuming anything. Endeavor is clearly a powerful person, and so likely has the influence to cover up his dirty laundry.

The problem is that his wife is in a mental institute after having attacked her own son.
    Thats to start with likely public knowledge, but ignored because mental health is such a massive tabu.

And furthermore, any potential abuse has likely been psychical, so its utterly impossible to prove.
    But when Dabi suddenly attacks a prominent public figure, then the burden of proof lies with him.
    With that, as well as how easy it is to place all blame on his wife for being mentally unstable, then its likely impossible to make anything stick to Endevor.
    I mean. It's not like Endeavor has a child who is also in the hero industry, has just had a (larger than usual) spotlight put on him so he'll be fresh in the public's mind, and would immediatelt be beset by paparazzi to confirm or deny the allegations of abuse.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

16. - Top - End - #76

Flumph

Except now Supervillain Fox News is going to be running editorial hit pieces on the regular.

He doesn't have the influence any more, because one of the biggest media outlets in the country is working directly for the villains, and the court of public opinion does not run on proof.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

I mean. It's not like Endeavor has a child who is also in the hero industry, has just had a (larger than usual) spotlight put on him so he'll be fresh in the public's mind, and would immediatelt be beset by paparazzi to confirm or deny the allegations of abuse.
    No thats incorrect. Endevor does indeed have a child who are a rising star in the hero industry.
    Unfortunately thats only going to make it even worse to sling mud at Endevor.
    He is already standing on a shinning pillar after getting wounded defending the town.
    And if he want to he can point to Shoto and go "look at him, crushing crime, winning hearts, from day one as a provincialy licenced hero"
    "Yes i was tough on him, but only because i love him. It made him to the Hero who will surpass me"

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

I cannot envision a world where "I was a little tough on him when we trained" would be enough to explain away "When I was 5 he punched me in the stomach until I threw up. That was also the first time he slapped my mom in front of me."

19. - Top - End - #79

Flumph

No thats incorrect. Endevor does indeed have a child who are a rising star in the hero industry.
    Unfortunately thats only going to make it even worse to sling mud at Endevor.
    He is already standing on a shinning pillar after getting wounded defending the town.
    And if he want to he can point to Shoto and go "look at him, crushing crime, winning hearts, from day one as a provincialy licenced hero"
    "Yes i was tough on him, but only because i love him. It made him to the Hero who will surpass me"
    Endeavour has a child who hates him and who might let some truth out when doorstepped in an unguarded moment by a hostile press. He has a wife in a mental hospital that an unscrupulous journo might get access to and find out truth from.

And he's not actually popular so people will readily believe bad things about him.

Endeavour is very vulnerable to hostile PR.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

I cannot envision a world where "I was a little tough on him when we trained" would be enough to explain away "When I was 5 he punched me in the stomach until I threw up. That was also the first time he slapped my mom in front of me."
    I envy your innocence then.
    To start with, we dont know that he actually laid hands on his Wife. At least not unless you have alternative sources.
    Secondly, both pay notice to just how good people are at ignoring unpleasant details about the past in people they admire.
    As well as how insane hero training is. How many bones have Deku broken by now?
    Combined with Todokori only being 5 there, and he is suddenly no longer a reliable witness.

Endeavour has a child who hates him and who might let some truth out when doorstepped in an unguarded moment by a hostile press. He has a wife in a mental hospital that an unscrupulous journo might get access to and find out truth from.

And he's not actually popular so people will readily believe bad things about him.

Endeavour is very vulnerable to hostile PR.
    Yes. Endevor likely has a child who hates him. Thankfully said child is a villain, so his oppinion hardly matters.
    His other relevant child merely dislikes him intensely. But not so much said child wasnt still willing to learn from his despised father.
    And no, said Child is -extremely- proficient at stonewalling. At best, ambushing Todoroki will get a polite "no comment"

Said wife meanwhile, were still willing to defend her husband before her kids, any journalist getting access will likely just get her screaming "intruder!"

And no Endevor might not be liked, but he is still greatly admired after getting wounded in the fight to defend Tokyo.
    Face it, right now he is close to a war hero, and INvulnerable to hostile PR, unless you controll -all- the media.

21. - Top - End - #81

Enough complaining about Endeavor let's focus on the actual chapter contents.

Doing media exercises makes a LOT of sense, heroes should do that obviously. It's an important part of hero work! And it's nice to see Bakugo actually being GOOD at this, as long as he's... solo. Also, a part of me does feel bad laughing because part of Todoroki's obliviousness probably comes from lack of proper socialization as a kid.

Also it was mentioned by GloatingSwine and I'm really, really going to emphasize it again just in case anyone missed it: KAMINARI DID THE LIBERATION SALUTE. THAT'S... CONCERNING.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

No, Kaminari did the "finger gun" gesture that he uses to point his electricity.

Now, is it possible that someone from the MLA PLF can mistake the gesture for a salute and assume he is some sort of man on thw inside, for the sake of shenanigans and/or making Kaminari more plot relevant for a bit? Absolutely.

Also, this is a mock inteeview that is unlikely to see the light of day. Why bother making such a signal of nobody is going to see it.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-09-04 at 05:40 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    No, Kaminari did the "finger gun" gesture that he uses to point his electricity.

Now, is it possible that someone from the MLA PLF can mistake the gesture for a salute and assume he is some sort of man on thw inside, for the sake of shenanigans and/or making Kaminari more plot relevant for a bit? Absolutely.

Also, this is a mock inteeview that is unlikely to see the light of day. Why bother making such a signal of nobody is going to see it.
    While this is true he does finger guns a lot, the very specific thumb to forehead to make an L pose, plus his expression, is unquestionably at the very least a concern. And given the rest of this series, I don't put much stock in "oh it's just a coincidence". The writing has made it clear that there's no such thing as that. The noumu with wings was Deku's old school bully and the doctor he met as a kid works for All For One to make noumu. Nothing just happens for no reason. Sometimes it's a silly overblown thing because Deku doesn't know how to write in his journal without sounding intense and we get Aoyama's little mini-arc... but other times we do get some legitimate Stuff, that we're expected to have paid attention to.

Because for some hand based reason, the Liberation Army might be feeling a bit more emboldened, and he might be intending to show his true colours soon. Or you know, he's proud and doing it even though no one will get it. Or, not to be TOO conspiracy theory since I don't buy this one at all, but I mean Mt Lady suddenly being motivated sure is A Thing to consider.

But yeah, look, I... look at Kaminari's expression too when he does it. That's not his normal look at all.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-09-04 at 07:54 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    While this is true he does finger guns a lot, the very specific thumb to forehead to make an L pose, plus his expression, is unquestionably at the very least a concern. And given the rest of this series, I don't put much stock in "oh it's just a coincidence". The writing has made it clear that there's no such thing as that. The noumu with wings was Deku's old school bully and the doctor he met as a kid works for All For One to make noumu. Nothing just happens for no reason. Sometimes it's a silly overblown thing because Deku doesn't know how to write in his journal without sounding intense and we get Aoyama's little mini-arc... but other times we do get some legitimate Stuff, that we're expected to have paid attention to.

Because for some hand based reason, the Liberation Army might be feeling a bit more emboldened, and he might be intending to show his true colours soon. Or you know, he's proud and doing it even though no one will get it. Or, not to be TOO conspiracy theory since I don't buy this one at all, but I mean Mt Lady suddenly being motivated sure is A Thing to consider.

But yeah, look, I... look at Kaminari's expression too when he does it. That's not his normal look at all.

It is rather suspicious, especially considering this is happening the chapter right after the villainous interlude is finished and the Liberation Army will still be front and center in most people's minds. If it had happened later, I would be more willing to ascribe it to coincidence, but right after? It feels like foreshadowing to reveal Kaminari has LA sympathies considering Destro's beliefs were pretty popular it seems.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

25. - Top - End - #85

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    CHRISTMAS! Everyone gets a random gift and it's adorable. Eri is also here! The school board is sure the traitor isn't a student, they are almost certainly wrong. Ashido is trying to force Bakugo to dress up in christmas clothing which rules, and it ends with Todoroki suggesting Deku and Bakugo go with him.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Easy Link to Chapter 242 (Sept 8th, 2019)

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-he...50?action=read

Spoiler: So I noticed something
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Best Jeanist to Bakugo:
    • Your alias represents your Desires.
    • The embodiment of how you wish to be [aka not your current self]
    • Your Ideal Self [Off in the Horizon the dividing line between Heaven / Sky and the Earth, Plus-Ultra-Further-Beyond].
    • You are still naive to the ways of the world.
    • But I hope to show you that world.
    This is another reference to the Japanese culture idea of Wishing Dolls, Daruma Dolls. [Aka the Alias that the evil Doctor is using who is working with Tomura Shigaraki.]

Your Desire / Your Wish is a promise you make. Then you "Do your Best" aka you Endeavor towards that goal, that ideal self, that wish / dream off to the horizon.

My point here is the author, Kohei Horikoshi is really beating this theme into the readers. Some of this is lost in cultural translation.

But yeah each of the MHA and Shigaraki is missing a different aspect of the wishing doll ritual, for example Bakugou does not know what he wants to be, he does not know how to model himself, he is so connected to his gut, his instinct that he does not have something to further refine himself towards.

While people like Izuku and Ochako may struggle with a different aspect of life.

-----

God I love this series for it is an ideal mixture of themes, characters, but also slice of life and everything else.

New chapter!
    The school board is sure the traitor isn't a student, they are almost certainly wrong.

Them giving up on looking for the traitor is actually a trap to find the traitor.

No matter what Shota Aizawa is not a person who can't be vigilant. The way to trick Shoto vigilance in looking for something that is off is to have multiple deceptions and have one deception turn his attention away from the real deception you want to perform.

So yeah the traitor thing is not gone, it will come back again. That is just good storytelling as Elan would say.

27. - Top - End - #87

Spoiler
    Show
    I wasn't saying the traitor thing was gone, I was just saying that it seems as if the staff are dismissing it as being a student at the moment. You do have an absolute point that Eraserhead is probably keeping an eye on them still, and that this is a trap to catch someone (Kaminari) but we will see.

What I want to see is if Tokoyami goes with Hawks again, and if he does what will happen there...

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I wasn't saying the traitor thing was gone, I was just saying that it seems as if the staff are dismissing it as being a student at the moment. You do have an absolute point that Eraserhead is probably keeping an eye on them still, and that this is a trap to catch someone (Kaminari) but we will see.

What I want to see is if Tokoyami goes with Hawks again, and if he does what will happen there...
    Interesting with your last sentence. I am too wondering what will happen next.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

It.. is likely going to get really interesting on that internship.
    Endeavor has been growing into the role of hero.
    And the comic has been slowly creating a sort of connection between the 3 students in the top of the class.

30. - Top - End - #90

It's also really funny that Deku, straight off the heels of "learn how to interact with media" class, goes to Endeavor.

Endeavor.