New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 3: Villainous Interlude

Yes. Endeavor. The Hero who despite everything, are still the undisputed number 1.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Yes. Endeavor. The Hero who despite everything, are still the undisputed number 1.
    You say "still" but it's only been a few weeks in-universe. Endeavor has only done one major thing with the spotlight on him as the number 1.

And now he's getting a trio of shonen protagonists dropped on him, and all the trouble that is bound to bring.

Remember, the course of the arc of the series is the foundations of hero culture being shaken in the transition from the old to the new generation, and Endeavor is part of those foundations. He's heading into stormy waters.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

You say "still" but it's only been a few weeks in-universe. Endeavor has only done one major thing with the spotlight on him as the number 1.

And now he's getting a trio of shonen protagonists dropped on him, and all the trouble that is bound to bring.

Remember, the course of the arc of the series is the foundations of hero culture being shaken in the transition from the old to the new generation, and Endeavor is part of those foundations. He's heading into stormy waters.
    Yes i say still, since before that he was the equally undisputed number 2 for a couple of decades.
    Endeavors position is rock solid. And he is likely the hero most focused on the transition from the old to the new generation.
    Raising your own replacement isnt for someone with a short attention span, or lack of foresight.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes i say still, since before that he was the equally undisputed number 2 for a couple of decades.
    Endeavors position is rock solid. And he is likely the hero most focused on the transition from the old to the new generation.
    Raising your own replacement isnt for someone with a short attention span, or lack of foresight.
    Yeah (agrees) wasn't Endeavor #2 ever since he was 20? If so he has been the Number 2 hero for over 2 decades now. Ironically we know more about Endeavor's age than All Mights if you care about timelines and such and trying to figure out how this world is organized and how it changed over time.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah (agrees) wasn't Endeavor #2 ever since he was 20? If so he has been the Number 2 hero for over 2 decades now. Ironically we know more about Endeavor's age than All Mights if you care about timelines and such and trying to figure out how this world is organized and how it changed over time.
    He has been #2 long enough to realise "Merde! im NEWER going to beat All Might, no matter what"
    And then find the perfect wife, have a bunch of kids, and training the one with the most potential to surpass himself.
    He isnt going anywhere, barring acts of extreme violence.

It is interesting though, that we might get a trio to replace the number one in the next generation.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Colossus in the Playground

It is interesting though, that we might get a trio to replace the number one in the next generation.
    I don't think so.

I'm way behind on this since I only got into it recently and there are only so many hours in the day, but wasn't it recently revealed that One For All Reached Critical Mass and had to vent the excess power by recreating a previous user's Quirk and start dumping the excess into it and the spirits of the previous users telling Deku that it's going to happen again and soon enough he's going to have stronger versions of all of their quirks?

If the #1 Hero is the strongest, most noble Hero... Deku's already got the nobility down and by the time he masters his powers he's not only going to have a stronger version of the Previous Number 1 Hero's quirk plus six other powerful Quirks.

He's probably gonna be the #1 of his generation by a wide margin unless he suffers some kind of game-breaking injury and has to pass One For All on before he gets to make a name for himself. Especially if one or more of the still dormant quirks has some kind of defensive or support utility.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2019-09-09 at 02:23 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I don't think so.

I'm way behind on this since I only got into it recently and there are only so many hours in the day, but wasn't it recently revealed that One For All Reached Critical Mass and had to vent the excess power by recreating a previous user's Quirk and start dumping the excess into it and the spirits of the previous users telling Deku that it's going to happen again and soon enough he's going to have stronger versions of all of their quirks?

If the #1 Hero is the strongest, most noble Hero... Deku's already got the nobility down and by the time he masters his powers he's not only going to have a stronger version of the Previous Number 1 Hero's quirk plus six other powerful Quirks.

He's probably gonna be the #1 of his generation by a wide margin unless he suffers some kind of game-breaking injury and has to pass One For All on before he gets to make a name for himself. Especially if one or more of the still dormant quirks has some kind of defensive or support utility.
    That's not the mechanism by which the process worked, but yes Deku will have the quirks of the previous users. Minus All Might since he didn't have a quirk, of course. But it's not the quirks you have, it's how you use them that matter.

That being said this series is about how Deku became the world's greatest hero, so the idea of a three-way Number 1 was never a reality. So your premise is correct.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

While Deku did say he'd be the greatest, that doesnt necessarily have to mean he'll be number 1. For all we know restructuring and/or rebuilding the Pro-Hero system will involve doing away with explicit rankings.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

9. - Top - End - #99

Flumph

He was #2 in a system where #2 didn't actually count for much because the whole of society was so distorted around All Might. That was his whole deal, the symbol of peace, a hero so strong he couldn't be challenged by any villain, and so by his mere existence he discouraged them from acting.

And Endeavor's whole obsession with raising his successor was also distorted around that, because all he cared about was raising someone to one day outshine All Might or his successor.

Endeavor's position is not as solid as you think, partly because the society in which he holds that position is going to undergo serious upheaval and partly because he has serious personal and constitutional deficiencies which are going to cause him difficulty under the increased scrutiny he is going to experience, especially now that one of the major media networks is actively hostile to the heroes.

The next arc is going to be bad for Endeavor, because that's the natural progression of a plot where hero society is under existential threat from rising villains.

And this is not going to come as a surprise to people who understand where his character is.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Except now Supervillain Fox News is going to be running editorial hit pieces on the regular.

He doesn't have the influence any more, because one of the biggest media outlets in the country is working directly for the villains, and the court of public opinion does not run on proof.
    And also, even if it DID run on proof, well, he did, in fact, do those things and is, in fact, a gigantic piece of ****.

It's always easier to smear campaign when your target genuinely has done all that awful stuff, you know.

That said, not sure the manga will bother going there.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2019-09-10 at 03:34 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

He was #2 in a system where #2 didn't actually count for much because the whole of society was so distorted around All Might. That was his whole deal, the symbol of peace, a hero so strong he couldn't be challenged by any villain, and so by his mere existence he discouraged them from acting.

And Endeavor's whole obsession with raising his successor was also distorted around that, because all he cared about was raising someone to one day outshine All Might or his successor.

Endeavor's position is not as solid as you think, partly because the society in which he holds that position is going to undergo serious upheaval and partly because he has serious personal and constitutional deficiencies which are going to cause him difficulty under the increased scrutiny he is going to experience, especially now that one of the major media networks is actively hostile to the heroes.

The next arc is going to be bad for Endeavor, because that's the natural progression of a plot where hero society is under existential threat from rising villains.

And this is not going to come as a surprise to people who understand where his character is.
    It seems that your missing how being the #2 in a system where the number one had a unsurmountable unfair advantage effectively means,
    that he had held the effective #1 spot for several decades. And its not like there hasnt been competition for it. Hero society is fiercely competitive.
    All the top 10 spots carry a massive amount of prestige.

So no, Endevors position is just as solid as im thinking. He has a massive organisation behind himself, the leading hero agency in the country.
    And i think its naive to believe having been #2 for so long means he isnt used to intense press scrutiny. Yes he has some personal flaws.
    But yes he is also aware of them. Simply limiting his contact with the press handles a lot of those.

12. - Top - End - #102

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Not much to actually say, beyond the fact that the interactions with Endeavor are hilarious. Nice set up!

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Links to chapter 243

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-he...01?action=read

By Jove! Izuku hands on page 4 are huge, we are talking huge like Beast from the X-Men type of huge. Are we sure Izuku is not siblings with the Class 1-B rep Itsuka Kendo?

14. - Top - End - #104
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ah, Endeavor attempts to ditch them all. They keep up easily.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

15. - Top - End - #105

New Chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Mostly just an action chapter. Hawks shows up, and tries very hard to subtly hint to Endeavor he shoudl take the book and read it to find the coded message Hawks left in it. It remains to be seen if Endeavor is smart enough to get that.

Also there's a second movie coming.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah the new chapter is not up on the official places yet, but I was in a mood where I needed something to get me out of my funk in the morning, and I read the leaks for I needed to see Hawks' smile.

And it worked!

God I love My Hero Academia.

17. - Top - End - #107

Flumph

Some nice introductory tradecraft there. Hawks done good.

18. - Top - End - #108

A very good chapter!
    Spoiler
    Show

Really like the build up here, and I like how Bakugo (the person who'd seem to be the most in on the Meta League's goals) is the one who thinks it's teh dumbest. Just a reminder that Bakugo is a good person.

And yeah... Destruction For All. That's intimidating.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Spy games abound. If the Front has realized what Hawks is up to they aren't showing it. But it's hard to say for certain given that we can't account for every single Quirk at their disposal. Mind reading, perhaps?

Probably not a reference, but the wrapped up sidekick in the office reminds me of the Burned Man from Fallout: New Vegas. Considering who he's a sidekick of that kind of fits.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spy games abound. If the Front has realized what Hawks is up to they aren't showing it. But it's hard to say for certain given that we can't account for every single Quirk at their disposal. Mind reading, perhaps?

Probably not a reference, but the wrapped up sidekick in the office reminds me of the Burned Man from Fallout: New Vegas. Considering who he's a sidekick of that kind of fits.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Half of the non real locations our heroes have gone too in this series are named after Star Wars planets. It's DEFINITELY on purpose.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Really like the build up here, and I like how Bakugo (the person who'd seem to be the most in on the Meta League's goals) is the one who thinks it's teh dumbest. Just a reminder that Bakugo is a good person.
    Actually its quite likely that what Bakugo actually think are dumb, is Hawk who stole his "kill" earlier.

And yeah... Destruction For All. That's intimidating.
    But yeah.. it actually is. The power of the Decay Quirk has grown exponentially.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

But yeah.. it actually is. The power of the Decay Quirk has grown exponentially.
    Puts down some money 💰⚖️💵 that the Decay Quirk is a storage quirk.

My thesis is that Localized Specific Decay to Individuals can be filled / utilized by the emotions of the moment. Yet large scale Decay that destroys environments and is contagious, well this form of Decay requires long term storage of Emotional Energies that Tomura Shigaraki unleashes like it is some form of "purging" of his emotions.

It will thus allow more thematic similarities with other characters of My Hero Academia like the One for All quirk, Eri, Re-Destro and so on. (Plus some obscure side characters who are forgettable NPCs in this narrative story.)

-----

Furthermore I believe there is an Inside / Outside aspect of Decay. Decay works via touch and the senses, aka Phenomena things that people can perceive, put another way "outside things."

Yet at the same time we also know that Memories, Feelings, Internal Sensations also power Decay and those are things people can not perceive directly and they just have to take Tomura Shigaraki's word on it that he is feeling these sensations or he is having these memories. (That said you can see some signs he is experiencing something based off body language, him using habits like him scratching an itch, and so on.) These are "inside things."

Decay works by making the outside much like the inside. The things that connect and unite, Tomura Shigaraki selectively destroys if he chooses to.

23. - Top - End - #113

Tomura Shigaraki is the Grandson of Nana Shimura.

Quirk's are genetic. Certain effects or mechanics are likily to be inherited, and the science of it is well known enough that at least some people have chosen sexual partners based entirely on how their quirks might combine in their offspring.

Even One for All has a biological component, since consuming the DNA of the previous wielder is how it transfers over.

It is highly likily that Nana had One for All when she conceived her son. (Correct me if I'm wrong, i'm not completely caught up.)

It is thus possible that Decay's significant increase in power is because it includes some aspect of One for All's "power stockpiling" feature in its makeup.

(It's likewise also possible, even probable, that Nana's native quirk has some aspects in common with Decay, which will probably be a plot point when Deku unlocks that ability.)

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Tomura Shigaraki is the Grandson of Nana Shimura.

Quirk's are genetic. Certain effects or mechanics are likily to be inherited, and the science of it is well known enough that at least some people have chosen sexual partners based entirely on how their quirks might combine in their offspring.

Even One for All has a biological component, since consuming the DNA of the previous wielder is how it transfers over.

It is highly likily that Nana had One for All when she conceived her son. (Correct me if I'm wrong, i'm not completely caught up.)

It is thus possible that Decay's significant increase in power is because it includes some aspect of One for All's "power stockpiling" feature in its makeup.

(It's likewise also possible, even probable, that Nana's native quirk has some aspects in common with Decay, which will probably be a plot point when Deku unlocks that ability.)
    I am not saying you are wrong, this could occur, but it would require a "narrative choice" on the author and it is not Newtonian Physics where A always leads to B as in this Cause always leads to this Effect.

This may very well happen, it is an interesting thesis.

25. - Top - End - #115

My personal theory is that Nana had healing hands. Thus the gloves, don't want to heal the people she's punching. Decay is a sign of Shigaraki's version being twisted by his anxiety and despair. They work via differing principles; Nana draws water and for lack of a better term "life" from herself to give to others... whereas Shigaraki draws that out of them, thus their decaying into dust and viscera. It fits their personalities as well, Nana giving of herself for the world and Shigaraki wanting to take from everyone what he's owed.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-10-07 at 04:46 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116

I think that whatever Nana's quirk is it'll be mechanically similar to but clearly distinct from decay in a way that it'll seriously Help Deku against Shigaraki by kicking in when he really needs it.

Healing hands to get his friends on his feat or undo collateral damage. Maybe a healing factor?

Decay works by aging things and breaking them down, but it's also explicitly a mutation. Maybe Nana's quirk was something that prevented her body from aging and breaking down?

(I honestly think that some kind of enhanced durability or healing factor is incorporated into One for All, because Blackwhip hurts Deku to the point of numbness after a few moments and all but the most minor uses of One for All leave long term or permanent damage. He's never gonna master either power if he can't acclimate himself to them and he can't acclimate to them if it's impossible for him to use them without hurting himself. He's found workarounds for drawing on the stockpile, but that doesn't solve the underlying problem.)

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #117

I mean we don't know it accelerates aging. All we've seen it do, in actuality, is that once his five fingers touch on to something it starts to break apart. I suggested the draining of water/life because that's the only way I could imagine skin and flesh breaking off like chipped stones (just look at how Eraserhead's elbow gets crackled way back when for an example of how it visually looks).

I want Nana to have a healing quirk because then we can have the reveal that, though All Might didn't know it, he did experience visions of the past. Shimura helping save his life against All For One, when he took that horrifying blow to the stomach.

28. - Top - End - #118

Is it bad that I kind of agree with the Meta Liberation Army?

Like, the terrorism and the planning to marginalize the quirkless and invoke Survival of the fittest are clear cut bad, but I know that if I was born with superpowers I'd be pretty pissed if there were highly strict limits on what I could and could not do with it enforceable by law.

I mean, common-sense regulations of moment powers(to avoid interfering with traffic) and requiring a license to fight crime and the like makes sense, but from what I know the regulatory laws are stricter than they strictly(ha) need to be with the intent of preserving a status quo rather than any legitimate need for regulation.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Like, the terrorism and the planning to marginalize the quirkless and invoke Survival of the fittest are clear cut bad, but I know that if I was born with superpowers I'd be pretty pissed if there were highly strict limits on what I could and could not do with it enforceable by law.

I mean, common-sense regulations of moment powers(to avoid interfering with traffic) and requiring a license to fight crime and the like makes sense, but from what I know the regulatory laws are stricter than they strictly(ha) need to be with the intent of preserving a status quo rather than any legitimate need for regulation.
    Yeah, I think this is MHA's cultural roots showing there. Japan really likes stability and status quo, its that whole eastern collectivist train of thought that has been going on since Confucius and Emperor Qin. I would not be surprised if something like the Meta-Liberation Army is mostly a Japan and China problem in MHAverse. the terrorism is understandably bad, but the darwinism feels tacked on to make them seem worse. as if the author was going "uh oh these guys have too much of a point, better add in some random magneto dogma in there to make sure no one roots for them."

as I've said before, the US equivalent laws for Quirks are probably looser in ways you say. and this can be both and good and bad thing, in that while it makes sure something like Meta-Liberation army doesn't arise, the heroes in the US probably have less strict standards for becoming a hero, some people still go vigilante, and so on. and of course, other cultures will point to the probable statistically of higher number of accidents and other bad things that happen because of this and use it as an argument to not go that direction, for better or worse.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

30. - Top - End - #120

Well I mean let's look at what we've seen in universe. MANY quirks are genuinely too dangerous to use in public unless you're professionally trained. Those that aren't are so mundane that at best they'll probably be roped in under the metamorphs like Tokoyami where they can't ACTUALLY charge you for a crime since that'd be profiling.

Like, Kota looks like a lizard man, if he stops to speak to a squirrel that's just kinda hanging out on the side of the street no one will ****ing care, legally. Likewise if Deku's mom drops her phone she can just bwoop it up to her, no harm done, so long as she's careful.

Even though the law IS strict, it's important to keep in mind that that's just on paper. In practice, like how it'd be in real life, no one actually cares. The person who's the most likely to cause issues using his quirk in public (Koichi from My Hero Vigilantes) gets mildly scolded by Eraserhead and otherwise does not face anything else. So I think it's safe to say that it's not actually as bad as it seems.

Also like, if I could blow up entire buildings with my bare hands I'd ABSOLUTELY want people to know that I legally cannot use that in public, and would not mind avoiding doing so, for the safety and wellbeing of others.