New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 3: Villainous Interlude

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Oh god!
    What sort of hellish dystopia do you live in, where you can get sued for performing CPR?
    You... Can't. We have laws that say "if you were genuinely trying to help, you can't be held legally liable for reasonable damages."

But what's actually being said is "without training, your attempt to help probably won't even work and you'll just make things worse.

Like I said, I've read enough first aid manuals to know the gist of what to do in an emergency, so I'm better off than a dude who's gone "I've seen this on TV," but if someone else shows up abd goes "I'm a licensed EMT" I'm definitely handing the job off to that person.

As for the flying/speed quirk thing I'm definitely not going "you can fly wherever immediately." If anything, it should go the same way as driving. A licensing exam so we know the flier is proficient at maneuvering, certain rules and regulations such as a speed limit, fines and punsihments for causing collateral damage, maybe even some insurance thing, and so on.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Colossus in the Playground

The CPR comment was to illustrate a point.

You have some skill or ability that could, potentially, save a life.

If you find yourself in an emergency situation where you can apply that skill or ability to save a life, it should not be illegal to do so any more than preforming CPR on someone should be a crime.

Let me give another example: let's say my Quirk is that I can create small, bubble-shaped forcefields around objects in my line of sight. They completely absorb and negate the energy of any blow but break after that one blow.

I'm walking, maybe on my way to school at the university I attend, and I find a strange device, with a count down timer... Looks like a bomb.

Timer says it's gonna go off soon, so as a precaution I put one of my forcefields around it before I call the bomb squad/police/whoever in case they can't get here in time and I don't take it down until they're in position to work.

I am not a liscened hero. I am not police. I am not bomb squad.

Should it be illegal for me to have done that?

Because by my understanding, in MHA Japan it is. Whether or not the heroes enforce it is a different question, but it being against the law in the first place is something I consider to be inherently immoral.

On flying: You aren't born with a car.

Assuming there is no physical defect in the wings a man is born with, the only reason they would need special training and a license to fly is if they have literally never used their wings their entire life and thus need to be taught to fly the same way someone who spent most of their life tired toa bed needs to be taught how to walk.

As iit is natural, and not a skill that a typical bewinged person would need to learn, there should be no reason to restrict their flight unless they're like, deliberately flying into crows off people or are disrupting street or air traffic. And that should be enforced on a case by case basis, not the justification for blanket restriction.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #153

You would need special training in flight because not everyone is skilled at flying, even if you've been "doing it all your life". I think even just like, a General Safety course would be expected at the very least. Like for Bike Saftey, only with flight.

In the example you brought up, that would be technically illegal, but given no harm was done to anyone they'd let you off with a slap on the wrist. You didn't fight anyone, you called the police, and you made sure to not try to do something stupid like disarm the bomb yourself. It honestly feels the laws are only in place for destructive quirks, or using them AGAINST OTHERS.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-10-08 at 04:26 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Let me give another example: let's say my Quirk is that I can create small, bubble-shaped forcefields around objects in my line of sight. They completely absorb and negate the energy of any blow but break after that one blow.

I'm walking, maybe on my way to school at the university I attend, and I find a strange device, with a count down timer... Looks like a bomb.

Timer says it's gonna go off soon, so as a precaution I put one of my forcefields around it before I call the bomb squad/police/whoever in case they can't get here in time and I don't take it down until they're in position to work.

I am not a liscened hero. I am not police. I am not bomb squad.

Should it be illegal for me to have done that?
    You would have to stretch immensely far to say that wouldn't fall under self-defense, which is one of the exceptions to the restriction law.

As iit is natural, and not a skill that a typical bewinged person would need to learn, there should be no reason to restrict their flight unless they're like, deliberately flying into crows off people or are disrupting street or air traffic. And that should be enforced on a case by case basis, not the justification for blanket restriction.
    Yeah, but how do we let the public know that? I'm not going to trust that a random stranger is going to not fly into me, or crash into me at superseded. Not unless you were, say, put through a proficiency test and given a bit of laminated plastic that says you won't do any of that stuff.

5. - Top - End - #155

Who said anything about supersonic speed?

And how do you trust that normal people aren't going to walk/run/crash into you?

I'm talking about how if some people can inherently locomote in an unusual as naturally as walking, then it should be treated like walking.

If I have wings but need a special license to be able to fly, that's only fair and just if everyone also needs a license to walk.

Biking is not comparable, because biking is a learned skill 99% of people... Though I'd argue that if someone's quirk is that their lower body is a bike that they likewise be exempted from biking restrictions in the grounds that for them, biking is walking.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #156

Who said anything about supersonic speed?

And how do you trust that normal people aren't going to walk/run/crash into you?

I'm talking about how if some people can inherently locomote in an unusual as naturally as walking, then it should be treated like walking.

If I have wings but need a special license to be able to fly, that's only fair and just if everyone also needs a license to walk.

Biking is not comparable, because biking is a learned skill 99% of people... Though I'd argue that if someone's quirk is that their lower body is a bike that they likewise be exempted from biking restrictions in the grounds that for them, biking is walking.
    Because 90% of all humans are capable of walking like a regular ass adult, and won't risk serious injury to themselves or others just by walking. Which flying inherently would risk.

Flight is also a learned skill! A skill that can seriously lead to injury on your part to yourself or others! Walking is WAY less dangerous! Hell, the fact that flying is just ACTUALLY too much is why flying cars will NEVER exist. It's not discrimination to ask you to at least prove you're NOT going to crash into people when flying around, that's just common sense.

Look at it this way. If you're flying and your wings cramp, what happens? You fall, possibly TO YOUR DEATH, and worse case scenario hurt someone on your fall. What happens if your leg cramps when you're walking? You... stop walking briefly, maybe shuffle off to the side so others can pass. How can you not see these two skills are NOT comparable at all?

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

If a person stumbles into me at walking speed, I'm inconvenienced for a few seconds at worst. If someone crashes into me at running speed, I'll probably be knocked prone. If someone crashes into me at flying speed, which for most people would be comparable to the speed of a bicycle or faster, I can be seriously injured. In general, I trust that the people driving know how to drive amd will follow certain regulations with respect to pedestrians, and if they don't and end up in a situation where someone is hurt, they're punished more severely for it. I would treat flying much the same way.

Also, just in general, people do have to learn how to walk, at least on a mechanical level. We aren't born walking, and we can assume people with wings wouldn't be born flying either.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-10-08 at 04:46 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Flight is also a learned skill! A skill that can seriously lead to injury on your part to yourself or others!
    If you are born with wings and the ability to fly, with your personal biology and psychology being built around flight(IE, how Quirks work,) then flight is no more of a learned skilled than walking is and should come just as easily.

Ergo, it should be treated as such.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #159

If you are born with wings and the ability to fly, with your personal biology and psychology being built around flight(IE, how Quirks work,) then flight is no more of a learned skilled than walking is and should come just as easily.

I don't know how to explain to you that this is wrong and that we know this just from observing birds.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Zone of Proximal Development. At certain ages a Bird can't fly, but at other ages Birds can fly.

And with the ages that a bird can fly, some of the time it is so natural and effortless like breathing but before the bird gains this level of skill flying was possible but it was still hard to perform.

Humans are the same way with learning skills, for example we can't crawl until a certain age, eventually we can stand up right and balance followed by walking.

Later skills (which the Zone of Proximal Development is all about) we must learn via instruction and we may figure out the skill set without instruction but via mimesis aka watching others, and via diegesis aka corrective narrative feedback of what we did wrong and what to do next time we can accelerate and learn things at a more rapid pace, and some skills we could never learn without the "superstructure" without the "prosthesis" that teaching and instruction provide.

-----

What are the purpose of these heroes schools that start training at 15? And were there any instructions of quirk use from age 5 to 15 besides "counseling" telling a kid there life is going to be somewhat different compared to when the quirk first manifests at roughly 5?

Choosing quirk manifestation to happen at around 5 and at around 15 implies automaticity arguments about how automatic the utilization of quirk factors and other aspects of quirks are.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2019-10-08 at 05:26 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

What others have already said. Aside from which, its still not the same. Again, look at series examples like Todoroki and Bakugo. Both born with their quirks. Todoroki, on a few different occasions, has unexpected consequences to his quirk that he never thought of or misused it because he was emotional at the time. He is, in all respects, a genius that has been trained by the number 2 hero in Japan.

Bakugo, despite the law, used his quirk in small ways as a child all the time. Again, HE MAKES EXPLOSIONS. And sure, he's fine with using them, but he's stated that even if he knows how to control the output on power, he didn't just magically know what effects an explosion would have. That he had to learn and figure out through practice.

Just because you were born with wings and your body is adapted to use them, doesn't mean you know how to fly. Or that you know the consequences of your actions when it comes to flying in an urban environment. Or that you're ready to accept responsibility in case something goes wrong and you end up hurting yourself or someone else by flying around. Or destroying something. And because you don't, to me, it is perfectly reasonable to go 'yeah, no. You don't get to fly around until you get a license or, in some sense, prove you won't be an issue'.

Cause its not just about 'can you do this thing you do naturally safely', its also 'will you take responsibility if something goes wrong because of you doing this thing that you don't need to be doing in the first place to live a normal live'. Even if its just the equivalent of a driver's test for Quirks to allow you to use it in private or a limited capacity, that makes things far better than just letting people do what they want. Except you can't have a standardized test for quirks because quirks are in no way standard. Hence hero academies which can determine through a more personal touch if you know what the hell you're doing and are ready to accept any repercussions for your actions.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Also to draw a slightly more relevant comparison.
    If your a trained mountain climber your able to move up and down along most vertical surfaces.
    That does not mean your allowed to climb up and down public buildings or monument.
    Because public order and stuff.

Flying is then even more risky. We could even assume flawless flight on hawks level.
    Enough to let you fly and text at the same time. Like a lot of idiots already do while driving.
    And when you then drop your phone, or your soda from 30 meters height, then it will kill or main the kid below.
    Thats why flight need to be extremely restricted.

All the same. I do think the quirk laws are still a little -to- restrictive.
    Even if they by default is needed. But i mostly think it showed in the Stain incident.
    We have a serial killer, who decided to attack with a lethal weapon even after being warned off.
    It should absolutely come in under self defence to use a quick then, no matter how untrained.
    No matter if it had blown Stains head clean off, or turned him in to a paperclip.
    And it should have been medals all around, no sweeping stuff under the carpet.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

The thing with Stain is that Iida sought him out. In fact, all of the student came to the scene of their own accord, effectively looking for trouble. If Stain had attacked Manual, Or Iida was interning with Native when he was attacked, Iida at least would be completely in the clear. They could have even spun a tale like "I gave Iida permission to engage to save his life, and when Midoriya found him and tried and failed to get Iida out of here, I gave that kid permission to engage, too because I'm not gonna let him get cut up. And then that third kid showed up, and I gave him permission to fight because if I'm already handing out permission..."

Also it was more about the fact that what they did was technically vigilantism, they were student of the most popular hero training school in Japan, which they couldn't deny because they came in Top 8, 3rd place, and Runner-up of the sports festival that was broadcast all over Japan and potentially worldwide.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-10-09 at 06:08 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Thats not entirely correct.
    Ida did come looking for Stain, but none had to know that.
    They could easily say he was just looking for Native Hero guy.
    Deku meanwhile was genuinly just looking for Ida.
    And Todoroki was genuinly just looking for Deku.

So at least for 2/3 of them, there wasnt anything technical about it.
    It was genuine self defence.

Hence why i think it paints a very bad picture of just how stiff hero society is.
    They could have changed it to only Ida getting into trouble for acting out of line.
    And Deku/Todoroki giving up the glory to cover him, if they wanted to make it look reasonable.
    As it is, then its likely the only argument for why the liberation army isnt entirely wrong.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Thats not entirely correct.
    Ida did come looking for Stain, but none had to know that.
    They could easily say he was just looking for Native Hero guy.
    Deku meanwhile was genuinly just looking for Ida.
    And Todoroki was genuinly just looking for Deku.
    So your saying that the good guys should have lied to cover up ethical violations? Like, they stretched the rules a lot in the situation to help the kids out as it was.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

So your saying that the good guys should have lied to cover up ethical violations? Like, they stretched the rules a lot in the situation to help the kids out as it was.
    Im saying that a) im against the situation in the manga, where its all 3 of them who are in trouble.
    And b) that i dont think any ethics violation had taken place.
    (also c) yes Ida had -though- about doing something that violated ethics. But he newer got a chance to do so, as he found Stain with a victim)

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

confused Re: My Hero Academia 3: Villainous Interlude

You do realize that all three of them attacked Stain first? It's pretty hard to claim self-defense when you go "I saw these two dudes fighting so I punched one of them."

Also it's pretty disingenuous to say Iida was defending Native when even Stain calls him for focusing on attacking rather than rescuing.

But I can tell this is going to be a rather circular argument, so let me posit this:

Police officers don't seem to be allowed to use their quirks in the line of duty. That should change.

18. - Top - End - #168

I was just saying, I understand where the Meta Liberation people are coming from.

If my legs are a motorcycle and that's literally the only way I can walk, I'd be pissed off if I needed a motorcycle license on the grounds that there would be no legal way I could get one until I was a certain age and limited legal ways to actually get one.

I'd be breaking the law every time I walked somewhere, even if I was cruising along at walking speed. Or rolling at turtle speed just in case. Might even be forbidden to us side-walks.

I'd draw the line well before terrorism, but such heavy restrictions on quirk use is inherently discriminatory towards some people and we know that people's biology and psychology is built around their quirk--we've got a giel who basically went insane and developed a blood fetish from being forced to repress her blood-drinking quirk. I doubt she's the only person to develop issues because of being made to not use their quirk.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

You do realize that all three of them attacked Stain first? It's pretty hard to claim self-defense when you go "I saw these two dudes fighting so I punched one of them."
    Yes i do, and no its not really hard to claim self-defence if your laws isnt garbage.
    Its called self-defence of 3rd person, and applies when your defending someone who are unable to defend themselves.
    Something thats absolutely appliable when a know serial killed is about to shiv somebody.

Also it's pretty disingenuous to say Iida was defending Native when even Stain calls him for focusing on attacking rather than rescuing.
    And who gives a rats bum about what Stain think in this case?
    Ida "accidentially" stumbles across Stain as he is about to knife someone, tries to stop it.
    Thats a story the public would absolutely swallow.

But else yes.
    It would be a -lot- smarter if there was some sort of graded system for when and how you were allowed to use your quirk.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

I was just saying, I understand where the Meta Liberation people are coming from.

If my legs are a motorcycle and that's literally the only way I can walk, I'd be pissed off if I needed a motorcycle license on the grounds that there would be no legal way I could get one until I was a certain age and limited legal ways to actually get one.

I'd be breaking the law every time I walked somewhere, even if I was cruising along at walking speed. Or rolling at turtle speed just in case. Might even be forbidden to us side-walks.
    If it was literally the only way you were able to move, an exception would have to be made, for the exact reasons you've outlined. You'd still likely be restricted to walking speeds, but saying "you can't walk around" would be abject ridiculous.

we've got a giel who basically went insane and developed a blood fetish from being forced to repress her blood-drinking quirk. I doubt she's the only person to develop issues because of being made to not use their quirk.
    I'd argue that that was more on Toga's parents more than society in general. They do things like allowing Aoyama to walk around with support gear in day-to-day life since he was little more than a toddler. If the Togas straight up said "Uh, our daughter has a quirk where she drinks blood and she gets a little antsy if she goes without for too long, can you see what you can do?" The folks in charge would come up with something.

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    If it was literally the only way you were able to move, an exception would have to be made, for the exact reasons you've outlined. You'd still likely be restricted to walking speeds, but saying "you can't walk around" would be abject ridiculous.

I'd argue that that was more on Toga's parents more than society in general. They do things like allowing Aoyama to walk around with support gear in day-to-day life since he was little more than a toddler. If the Togas straight up said "Uh, our daughter has a quirk where she drinks blood and she gets a little antsy if she goes without for too long, can you see what you can do?" The folks in charge would come up with something.
    The fact that an exception would have to be made is problematic.

The laws should be written with the assumption that there are some people who have to use their quirks for some reason or another assumed.

"If your quirk is your only reasonable form of locomotion or you have to use it regularly to maintain your physical and mental health, then this does not apply as long as you are not putting people at risk and are using some god damn common sense" should be a hard part of the law, not something you have to go to extra effort to get an exception for

And I bring up Toga more for an example: It might be more her parents to blame in her case, but Quirks are explicitly a part o f who you are with your biology and psychology built around it.

If your legs work perfectly fine but you can't use them without getting special permissions, chances are you're gonna develop some... issues.

I honestly have to wonder how many Supervillains in this world are just people who couldn't get licenses to use their powers for some reason or another, developed a criminal record from unlicensed quirk use, and the criminal record prevented them from finding legit employment so they turn to crime to support themselves.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2019-10-11 at 06:18 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

If your legs work perfectly fine but you can't use them without getting special permissions, chances are you're gonna develop some... issues.
    So I think we have to remember that quirk counseling and quirk social work is a thing that exists since the kid is 5 and thus there is a social safety net that has social workers and other people who hear you out and help you with the paperwork of getting special permissions.

It is a very different place than our "Real America" or our "Real Japan" or our "Real Europe" so on and so on.

At the same time the story does demonstrate it is not enough with some people but so far we have not encountered a problem with a person who has wings is not allowed to fly due to the wings as a major quirk problem cause emotional trauma and so on.

No when the social safety net fails is on other forms of quirk use where it is part of who you are, but you can't really communicate how important this is to others for it is something "without form" such as "it is a feeling." For example Himiko Toga her Quirk is not just sucking blood to transform and you should not suck blood for sucking blood of other people without permission is icky and a social taboo. No Toga is sucking the energy and essence of another person, and Toga is learning from the experiences of other by becoming more like them. Toga's blood sucking is a form of empathy / sympathy where she can become more like another person by tasting their blood, tasting their experiences and how our energy / essence / personality literally change our experiences of the world (Remember Japan has that pop-culture belief that blood type is tied to your personality and different type of people have different types of blood.)

How was Himiko Toga supposed to explain this need and desire to a Quirk Counselor who did not understand her need, and the upsides and downsides of her sucking blood of another person, despite how icky it is? No Himiko Toga had to discover this need, this desire, and this benefit all on her own, for society never had a person who understand this need nor did they have the power to model good and bad behavior to Himiko Toga for she was too different from the default model, the default assumption.

She had to act like others, she had to play act. Mimesis as in the Greek Word for Acting / To Imitate. And there are sociable and unsociable ways of how to Act and Imitate and we are socialized as children what is the proper way to play, to work, to have desires, and be people in a society. Thus there are Mimetic Desires for we are taught our role-models as children of what we should be when we become adults.

But what happens when there is no acceptable role-models for us the children? Either because we are unique, or because our desires are incompatible with societies? What do we do then? We have this gifts, this channels, these quirks...and we do not have the memory of how to integrate these things into ourselves...
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

No, in the end, the only person responsible for Toga becomming an insane mass murderer is Toga herself.
    Noone has forced her to do anything.

Society has rules like "dont cut people against their will to drink their blood".
    And she made a concious decicion to "nope, i want to be free to slash people as i please".

Thats not society's fault. Its a very reasonable law we cant do without.
    In the end the only question is if she belongs in a prison or a asylum.
    And to be fair, i am leaning towards asylum myself.

I mean, some people are just born crazy due to genetics. And we dont blame them.
    But we lock them up if they are a clear and present danger to themselves or others.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Two things can be true:
    • Toga ultimately made the decision to acquire blood by means that are societally frowned up upon. And. Y'know, illegal.
    • If Toga's parents had acknowledged her blood obsession and worked with her and the government to keep it under reasonable control, she would likely not have been in a headspace where that decision seemed rational.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Yes this might make it excuseable if Toga's only goal is to aquire blood.
    But it isnt. Its just as much to become those she loves/kill those she loves.

She is a deeply twisted individual. And thats not caused by a blood addition we so far havent seen evidence off.
    Her first act of villany were attacking a boy she fell in love with to drink his blood.

26. - Top - End - #176

But would she have done that if she wasn't emotionally abused?

And yes, forcing her to not act on an inborn desire is emotional abuse.

Repressing one's desires doesn't make them go away, it just makes them build up.

Toga's quirk is an inborn part of her that she was forced to repress until it overwhelmed her.

It's far from unlikely that being taught how to deal with her urges in a healthy way, and being able to indulge or vent such desires regularly, would have prevented her from snapping like that.

I doubt she's the only one with psychological issues related to her quirk--rather, we know that she's not: All For One is all but explicitly said to have a form of kleptomania related to his ability to take Quirks. This doesn't justify his actions, particularly since it's drowned out by his obvious psychopathy and megalomania, but it's another data point for quirks affecting psychology.

Quirks want to be used.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes this might make it excuseable *snip*
    Good thing there's a difference between explaining the reasoning behind someone actions and making excuses for said actions.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

As i have repeatedly mentioned before, i dont consider being told to behave as any sort of abuse.
    I rate it on about the same level as telling a left-handed person to write with their right hand.
    Something that in no way explains going on a murdering spree.

And no we absolutely dont have any evidence pointing towards Quicks by default wanting to be used.
    Thats fan-made speculation trying to excuse the actions of a monster.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

And that's why we can't agree in the first place. Where you see "misbehavior," practically everyone else is seeing "untreated mental illness." And refusing to give your child necessary medical care does count as abuse in my book.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-10-12 at 05:28 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As i have repeatedly mentioned before, i dont consider being told to behave as any sort of abuse.
    I rate it on about the same level as telling a left-handed person to write with their right hand.
    Something that in no way explains going on a murdering spree.
    „Telling”. Right...
    Considering left-handers were forced to use their right hand not that long ago* that comparison might not be what you're looking for.

Also, how you're told something matters.
    I mean sure, killing sprees are a tad extreme a response, but that doesn't change that the right (wrong?) phrasing can make any statement abusive.

*Fortunately before my time.
    Though the phrasing „use your good hand” when greeting people might've come up on occasion.
    Mostly confused me, because I was using my good hand.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")