New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 3: Villainous Interlude

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Anyway... So, since Deku is the one who will "complete" One For All, is there a theory about what that means?

Do we think it's just him being able to use previous quirks and talk to previous users, or do we think there's more to it than that?
    The ultimate goal of One For All is to defeat All For One and his machinations. This is the simple and precise hope that the first user passed down. Defeat my brother.

Of course, All For One did what One For All has done and made a successor, so with his defeat now firmly in the bag it's up to Deku to defeat Shigaraki, and put an end to All For One's terrible legacy.

That's my read on it anyway

2. - Top - End - #242

That's a good read.

Of course, that's only a good read if Shigaraki is meant to be the "final boss" of the narrative who Deku defeated cements him as the greatest hero of his generation.

If Shigaraki is meant to be Deku's recurring nemesis or just one "great villain" among many then it probably means something else.

(Since All For One is implied vaugly to be connected to the hive of consciousnesses in One For All, I had the vague idea of something happening and leading him to give his collection of Quirk's to Deku, either out of spite at some new villain or out of Shigaraki's goals drifting too far from his own and invoking an "EVen Evil has standards" thing, mostly on the grounds of it making sense to me for the powers "All For One" and "One For All" eventually being used by the same person, but I'm pretty sure that's a long shot prediction.)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

So. Endevor do continue to demonstrate a level of skill that would put him on top in any enviroment.
    Except of course those containing absurd meta-quirks like AFO or OFA.

Spoiler
    Show

I really did like his motivation speak "dont worry about failing, try as much as you need"

Heh.. and the sisters reaktion was also somewhere between so cute and so sad i almost shed a tear
    "And he even got friends with him, right?! Why didnt you tell me?! the second i hear about it i practically burst into tears..!"

Well the connection between the 3 of them have subtly been growing.
    Its not impossible they can form a team.

Last edited by lord_khaine; 2019-10-25 at 08:05 AM.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

4. - Top - End - #244

Theory from Tvtropes, I didn't come up with it.

Toga can copy someone's Quirk when she takes their form if she "cares" for them enough.

Currently, the person she's most obsessed with is Deku.

One For All can't be stolen or taken without the user's consent, but it can be copied(Though we don't know how well since Copy is specifically copying the base-state of a quirk)

One For All contains within it vestiges of all previous wielders and can allow communication with the spirits thereof.

Toga's less evil and more really, really messed up by a combination of mental illness and inadequate healthcare(how culpable she is for her actions is a different argument that is beyond the scope of this post.)

Shigaraki's promise not to destroy the things his followers love kind of falls flat since he explicitly wants to destroy everything and, well, as One for All's sucessor it's inevitable that he's going to fight Deku.

The theory I read the other day posits that Toga will come into conflict with Shigaraki when she realizes that he's gonna kill Deku, because she wants to kill him so she can become him because she's super messed up, and that she'll use Deku's Blood to take his form and use his Quirk but using One For All will cause the Vestiges to influence her, leading to her either 1: Joining the Heros legitimately(I think this one is unlikely barring a big name pulling for her, and why would someone do that?), 2: Surrendering and going to prison, or 3: Understanding that her idea of love is messed up and sacrificing herself on Deku's behalf.

A variation of the third option is her doing it while using Deku's shape and Quirk and thus becoming part of One For All(And by extension, becoming part of Deku.)

It's not my theory, I just want to know if the idea's come up before and/or what other people think of it becuase I think it's interesting.

Another theory I found at the same time, one I think is much less plausible, if the idea of, as an Endgame against an overwhelmingly powerful villain, Deku and a bunch of retired/dying heroes taking a few days to play hot potato with One For All Before giving it back to Deku

I think that one's significantly less likely.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Theory from Tvtropes, I didn't come up with it.

Toga can copy someone's Quirk when she takes their form if she "cares" for them enough.

Currently, the person she's most obsessed with is Deku.

One For All can't be stolen or taken without the user's consent, but it can be copied(Though we don't know how well since Copy is specifically copying the base-state of a quirk)

One For All contains within it vestiges of all previous wielders and can allow communication with the spirits thereof.

Toga's less evil and more really, really messed up by a combination of mental illness and inadequate healthcare(how culpable she is for her actions is a different argument that is beyond the scope of this post.)

Shigaraki's promise not to destroy the things his followers love kind of falls flat since he explicitly wants to destroy everything and, well, as One for All's sucessor it's inevitable that he's going to fight Deku.

The theory I read the other day posits that Toga will come into conflict with Shigaraki when she realizes that he's gonna kill Deku, because she wants to kill him so she can become him because she's super messed up, and that she'll use Deku's Blood to take his form and use his Quirk but using One For All will cause the Vestiges to influence her, leading to her either 1: Joining the Heros legitimately(I think this one is unlikely barring a big name pulling for her, and why would someone do that?), 2: Surrendering and going to prison, or 3: Understanding that her idea of love is messed up and sacrificing herself on Deku's behalf.

A variation of the third option is her doing it while using Deku's shape and Quirk and thus becoming part of One For All(And by extension, becoming part of Deku.)

It's not my theory, I just want to know if the idea's come up before and/or what other people think of it becuase I think it's interesting.

Another theory I found at the same time, one I think is much less plausible, if the idea of, as an Endgame against an overwhelmingly powerful villain, Deku and a bunch of retired/dying heroes taking a few days to play hot potato with One For All Before giving it back to Deku

I think that one's significantly less likely.
    I think that entire thing sounds dumb, and I would literally hate all of it. She is super evil and I want her to get her comeuppance not a half assed out of nowhere redemption arc.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

6. - Top - End - #246

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    She is super evil
    That is a matter of debate.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

How, she is a literal stalker, kidnapper, and serial killer.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

8. - Top - End - #248

She's mentally ill, which was diagnosed when she was a small child, and poorly managed and treated.

How culpable she is for her actions is brought into question by her mental illness.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

She is super evil and I want her to get her comeuppance not a half assed out of nowhere redemption arc.
    You are no true fanboys, if you were true fanboys would get the Kamui Woods quote correct

Quote Originally Posted by Kamui Woods
    Assault, robbery and illegal use of powers during rush hour traffic. You are the incarnation of evil.
    We have a textual source of the incarnation of evil. Evil is the person who steals a purse during rush hour.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

She's mentally ill, which was diagnosed when she was a small child, and poorly managed and treated.
    Yep, and that was sad. Then she went on to be a murderer. And that is evil.

11. - Top - End - #251

Yep, and that was sad. Then she went on to be a murderer. And that is evil.
    I really hope you're not a judge or criminal lawyer in real life because it's not as clear cut as you seem to think it is.

Toga has an irresistible compulsion to drink blood and suppressed it until she snapped.

Irresistible compulsions and psychotic breaks are the kinds of things that let you use the insanity defense.

Toga's not evil.

She's sick in the head and needs treatment, not prison.

All her having killed people because of her compulsions means is that she'd be an inpatient at a secure ward until she's determined to no longer be a threat to others(if ever.)

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

I really hope you're not a judge or criminal lawyer in real life because it's not as clear cut as you seem to think it is.

Toga has an irresistible compulsion to drink blood and suppressed it until she snapped.

Irresistible compulsions and psychotic breaks are the kinds of things that let you use the insanity defense.

Toga's not evil.

She's sick in the head and needs treatment, not prison.

All her having killed people because of her compulsions means is that she'd be an inpatient at a secure ward until she's determined to no longer be a threat to others(if ever.)
    So by that logic, are vampires not evil, because their compulsion to drink blood is technically not irresistable or avoidable? because Toga has a lot of vampire-like traits and similarities.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #253

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    So by that logic, are vampires not evil, because their compulsion to drink blood is technically not irresistable or avoidable? because Toga has a lot of vampire-like traits and similarities.
    If a vampire can manage their hunger but doesn't, then the vampire is evil.

But Toga doesn't seem to be able to. She tried valiantly for a good long while but all it did was make it worse in the long run.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Rubbish.
    Firstly, we still dont have any evidence proving she is mentally ill (besides her killing people).
    Secondly, its absolutely a resistable compulsion, since she were able to go for 10 freaking years ignoring it.

And lastly, even if its not resistable, then it still dont excuse her being a serial killed.
    She could have tried robbing a blood bank, or anything else besides killing someone.
    But at the end of the day, when she really, really wanted something, she began killing people for it.

Yes its not disproven that she is mentally ill. So when she is caught i would leave it to doctors to decide
    if she were going for a life in prison, or in a straightjacket.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Rubbish.
    Firstly, we still dont have any evidence proving she is mentally ill (besides her killing people).
    What else do you call a pathological obsession with blood developed spontaneously in childhood?

Secondly, its absolutely a resistible compulsion, since she were able to go for 10 freaking years ignoring it.
    She didn't resit it.

She repressed it.

The desire was there, she just didn't act on it.

And doing that caused her to escalate--she went from killing small animals to see their blood to stabbing the boy she had a crush on and sucking the blood out with a straw while crying tears of joy. That's one hell of a step up.

All repressing the compulsion did was make it worse in the long run.

And lastly, even if its not resistible, then it still don't excuse her being a serial killed.
    It kind of does.

Charles Whitman? The Texas Tower Shooter? Before committing his crimes, he wrote a suicide note where he essentially explains that he's doing these things against his will for reasons he doesn't understand, due to intrusive irrational thoughts, and begs for his brain to be examined during an autopsy so that people can find out why. Turns out he had a tumor the size of a pecan that may have influenced his behaviors

Mental illness can and does excuse certain behaviors

If Toga legitimately can't resist her compulsions without worsening her mental state, then that would prove a significant mitigating factor when determining her culpability.

She could have tried robbing a blood bank, or anything else besides killing someone.
    She was denied the opportunity for anything else. She was told to just repress her urges instead of finding a safe way to indulge them and manage the cravings. And when it got to be too much to resist, she had no way of dealing with it and she snapped.

But at the end of the day, when she really, really wanted something, she began killing people for it.
    A heroin addict going through withdrawal will kil for a fix.

Toga's heroin was in that boy's veins, and after that se'd snapped completely. The firs kill can be blamed on her having received inadequate mental health care.

Yes its not disproven that she is mentally ill. So when she is caught i would leave it to doctors to decide
    if she were going for a life in prison, or in a straightjacket.
    I've studied criminology, the history of crime, crime as it fits into culture, and the juvenile justice system.

There is a very good case for Toga getting off on a mental health defense.

The MLA were going to use her as a Martyr for their cause for a reason. She's the exact worst case scenario for what happens when quirks use is restricted.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    And lastly, even if its not resistable, then it still dont excuse her being a serial killed.
    No, she couldn't have robbed a blood bank because she's not after the blood at all.

Toga wants to be like things she admires, and the way she does that is with a blood activated quirk. She's not out to drink blood, she's out to be so close to things or people she likes that she literally becomes them. That's her end.

Robbing a blood bank would give her a bunch of disguises, but that's not an end for her, blood from people she doesn't care about is meaningless.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

This is the third iteration of this same debate we've had in as many months. At this point, neither side will be swayed in their interpretation of Toga vis a vis mental illness and/or how that affects and affected her past and future actions. And this is ignoring those people who see "I understand where she's coming from" or "I believe that she's a tragic figure" and interpret that to mean "I want her to be redeemed."

Honestly, we should just let it die.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-10-26 at 05:46 AM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

So, wait. Because Shigaraki has same destructive tendencies, he should be excused too, right?

I mean if he doesn't destroy things, his allergies reappear.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    So, wait. Because Shigaraki has same destructive tendencies, he should be excused too, right?

Flawed argument. His allergy was a physiological response to being stressed. Note that he only had the "allergy" when he was home, and at the USJ he stood by for quite some time without destroying anything and only got itchy for a minute or so when his plan wasn't going through the way he wanted it to. Destroying things is his (clearly unhealthy) coping mechanism for dealing with stress.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Flawed argument. His allergy was a physiological response to being stressed. Note that he only had the "allergy" when he was home, and at the USJ he stood by for quite some time without destroying anything and only got itchy for a minute or so when his plan wasn't going through the way he wanted it to. Destroying things is his (clearly unhealthy) coping mechanism for dealing with stress.
    I don't know. It's said that all Quirks in some way or another push their owners to use them. In fact, it's what I claimed was what AfO stated outright, and I don't have a reason to disbelieve him, no more than I have a reason to disbelieve doctor about Quirk Singularity. When his plan about destroying All Might/students went to ****, he got extra itchy. Maybe the plan was just holding the destructive urges at bay.

And Shigaraki's parent surpressing his Quirk (unintentionally) is mirror to Toga's case.
    Last edited by -D-; 2019-10-26 at 08:09 AM.

21. - Top - End - #261

No.

He can theoretically cope with bein itchy, and in general allergies don't work that way.

Toga is pretty clearly in a position where ignoring her urges is actively harmful to herr sanity.
    I don't know. It's said that all Quirks in some way or another push their owners to use them. In fact, it's what I claimed was what AfO stated outright, and I don't have a reason to disbelieve him, no more than I have a reason to disbelieve doctor about Quirk Singularity. When his plan about destroying All Might/students went to ****, he got extra itchy. Maybe the plan was just holding the destructive urges at bay.

And Shigaraki's parent surpressing his Quirk (unintentionally) is mirror to Toga's case.
    Shigaraki didn't have a quirk to suppress until shortly before he killed his family--he was a late bloomer, it kicking in a year late.

There's the overlap with the parents being abusive and neglectful, but that just makes him sympathetic. Without the clear cut mental illness there aren't any mitigating factors in his decision making.

Unless it turns out that All For One Brainwashed him instead of just raising him.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

He can theoretically cope with bein itchy, and in general allergies don't work that way.

Toga is pretty clearly in a position where ignoring her urges is actively harmful to herr sanity.

Shigaraki didn't have a quirk to suppress until shortly before he killed his family--he was a late bloomer, it kicking in a year late.
    You sure about that? We see Shigaraki holding his urge in check. And he is rolling on the floor itching everywhere. I don't think that is what you call managable.

I mean theoretically even Toga can cope with her urge for blood. We see how that turns out.

Perhaps Shigaraki didn't have a quirk to surpress, or he was unconsciously holding it back, or his urge manifested at a different time. But he was surpressing his destructive urge, same as Toga suppressed her urge for blood, which come with their Quirks respectively.

In MHA you generally have two kinds of problems:
    A) Quirks causing unnatural urges
    B) Quirks self activating
    Last edited by -D-; 2019-10-26 at 06:27 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think I've maybe seen like 4 or 5 episodes but...what's the deal with that bird guy?

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    I think I've maybe seen like 4 or 5 episodes but...what's the deal with that bird guy?
    Be more specific there are several bird guys

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Be more specific there are several bird guys
    It's this guy who has a bird's head for a head. It's a black bird - maybe a crow.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

It's this guy who has a bird's head for a head. It's a black bird - maybe a crow.
    Tokoyami. He's the guy with the living shadow, Dark Shadow His deal is that some quirks alter your body to make you look like animal people.
    Last edited by Devonix; 2019-10-27 at 12:11 AM.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

27. - Top - End - #267

I also think there's a guy with like scotch tape dispensers for arms. What's his deal?

28. - Top - End - #268

I also think there's a guy with like scotch tape dispensers for arms. What's his deal?
    His power is having scotch tape dispensers for arms.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #269

His power is having scotch tape dispensers for arms.
    Has that ever come in handy in the series?

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Has that ever come in handy in the series?
    He is effectively Spider-man's webshooters so yes.