New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Favored Soul is better than Cleric?

Well... no. Not in terms of power.

However, I'd like to say that the idea of having two abilities being necessary for spellcasting is a good idea. It forces the player to spend resources of buffing both and prevents them from making their ability score reach obscene heights.

Perhaps its not the classes with MAD with the problem, but the ones with SAD.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Favored Soul is better than Cleric?

Favored Soul is more balanced than cleric, I would agree.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Definitely, Favored Soul is much more balanced. And you reasoning of SAD vs. MAD is very much correct I'd say.

Maybe that doesn't belong in here but I thought that forcing all druids to use Shapeshift variant, Clerics to be Favored Souls, removing Divine Power and some most broken arcane spells from the game and using ToB would make for a very balanced game...
    There is no good and evil. There is only more and less.
    - Khorn'Tal
    -----------------------------------------
    Kalar Eshanti

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Additionally, Vancian casting is acceptable flavor-wise for wizards (which is what Jack Vance had written it for), but doesn't make a whole lot of sense when applied to clerics. You have to pray in advance for what miracles you might need that day, and if you are in trouble of some other kind your god refuses to help you? Sheesh!
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I dont know... I haven't chanced to play one yet, but Favored Soul struck me as rather arbitrary. Just WotC wanting to make a sorcerer who casts divine spells. Oh, hey! And let's give them wings! Man, that's a great idea!

Still, I'll reserve final judgement for after I've played one.
    Spending most of my time on another forum.
    Awesome Daemonhost avatar by Fin.

6. - Top - End - #6

Like a cleric, but with MAD, no domain abilities, domain spells, heavy armor proficiency or undead turning/rebuking (and thus no Divine metamagic). Oh, but they get Weapon Focus for free AND a good reflex save.

*cough*
    Last edited by Dode; 2007-10-10 at 10:23 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

The Wings/Weapon Focus never made sense to me as well. But then again, neither did Turn Undead.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Dode View Post
    Like a cleric, but with MAD, no domain abilities, domain spells, heavy armor proficiency or undead turning/rebuking (and thus no Divine metamagic). Oh, but they get Weapon Focus for free AND a good reflex save.

*cough*
    Read the OP before you reply. He said in terms of balance, not power.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by iceddragons View Post
    Read the OP before you reply. He said in terms of balance, not power.
    That he did. That being said, taking a core class and reducing it to a mediocre self-buffer/healbot at the cost of all variety and even the ability to turn undead is hardly a 'balancing feature'. It's like saying that the Samurai class is 'better' then Fighter because it's less open to potential abuse.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Favored Soul isn't realy MAD, he's more of DAD (Dual Ability Dependant). I actualy think that the Favored Soul makes more sense than the cleric. I think they should get at least a single domain though.

As for wings, look at Celestials and Fiends. A whole lot of both can fly in some form or another, as well as Half-Fiends and Half-Celestials. A Favored Soul is gradualy becoming a perfect servant of his diety, and most dieties' servitors fly.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Favored Soul does go a little bit too far in nerfing the Cleric. There's probably a happy medium in there somewhere, but I'd say that it's a lot closer to Favored Soul than it is to Cleric. I strongly suspect that it was the trial run of the 4e divine caster, in much the same way that Warlock was a pre-4e experimental blaster.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo
    Favored Soul isn't realy MAD, he's more of DAD (Dual Ability Dependant).
    Please don't start the Pointless New Acronym Game (PNAG) again. 2>1 Therefore MAD.

Most Clerics in my games have relied on very few spells, so the Favored Soul doesn't seem like it would be too different in general practice (I actually haven't seen one played, but the Spontaneous Clerics in my old games- before I ditched Arcane and Divine altogether- weren't played too differently than Clerics normally are).

I agree though with the dislike for Vancian divine casters and the removal of some of the Spells a Cleric could use is always a good thing.

One aspect of the Favored Soul I really like is that there's more variance between characters than normal Clerics. You can focus on spellcasting quantity or power independently and you won't have the same spell list as every other member of your class.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by KIDS View Post
    Definitely, Favored Soul is much more balanced. And you reasoning of SAD vs. MAD is very much correct I'd say.

Maybe that doesn't belong in here but I thought that forcing all druids to use Shapeshift variant, Clerics to be Favored Souls, removing Divine Power and some most broken arcane spells from the game and using ToB would make for a very balanced game...
    Only if wizards are banned in addition to the above...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

That he did. That being said, taking a core class and reducing it to a mediocre self-buffer/healbot at the cost of all variety and even the ability to turn undead is hardly a 'balancing feature'. It's like saying that the Samurai class is 'better' then Fighter because it's less open to potential abuse.
    But the Favoured Soul is actually more balanced whereas the Samurai is less balanced (because it sucks even more than the monk...). So Favoured Soul is a good alternative for Clerics (if they are not avaible, anyway) but there is no reason to play a Samurai ever (because Fighters, Barabarians and co. are not likely to be banned in a game).
    Thanks to Ceika for the awsome Flamebringer avatar.

As Captain Leif Meldrock says in "Mars Needs Lumberjacks": "I'm ready for anything!"

Thanks to Baboon Army for the great Evermore avatar.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic Avenger View Post
    Only if wizards are banned in addition to the above...
    And replaced by sorcerers.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Weasel View Post
    Please don't start the Pointless New Acronym Game (PNAG) again. 2>1 Therefore MAD.
    I'm not. DAD already existed, although is a infrequently used term. I found it on a discussion of the various types of ability dependancy for noobs. I think it was on this forum somewhere, although it could be on the Wizards boards.

As for Sorcerers, they need some flexibility to realy be worth it. Oddly enough, flexibility was the supposed balanacing point of the Sorcerer.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

No, it is a balancing feature, because it makes the cleric(one of the big three, and probably big two) less powerful, IE more balanced.

More on-topic:
    The one thing that always drove me crazy about favored souls was that to even halfway replace the cleric, they have to spend one spell known per couple of levels on a cure spell. Since normally, the cleric doesn't have to worry about healing at all, but can look at a dying ally and say, "oh, hey, cure minor wounds" then go grab a wand. A favored soul can't do that. I'm all in favor of clerics having fewer features and more attributes to have to rely on, but what will be the most balancing thing in 4e is if someone takes a look at the divine metamagic-nightstick screw-up, and says "What the hell were we thinking?!"

Then clerics will be much more balanced to start with. Who thought up the nightstick? When has any cleric ever needed more turn undead uses than he has, except to fuel divine metamagic?
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Favored Souls don't need Wisdom.

Seriously, just take only healing and buff spells, and shred things in melee just like a cleric. Saving throws? Who needs 'em? Works even better with Favored of Bahamut/Tiamat or Favored of the Fiends level substitutions, as they give you magical natural weapons that deal good damage.

One level of fighter for heavy armor and martial weapons may be advisable.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I like the class but I would like to have seen the class specials changed with options for the PC to choose based on his chosen diety like more of the PRCs are doing like the Shadow Thief of Amn picks his PRC bonus feat from a list of choices tailored to the PRC.

I find it odd a Favored Soul with a direct connection to their Diety doesn't pick up a Domain at First level or the first few levels along with a second one later in the progression.

Little things like:

Choice of First Domain or Deity's weapon focus or something cool like Prophet of the Divine from Powers of Faerun at level 3.

Turning at level 7 instead of Energy Resistance 1st type at level 5 which is lost.

Instead of Ur - Lords or Priests I'd have a variant PRC like the Ur - Adepts which required FS - 6 or 7 spellcasting and specials based more on the Sunmaster PRC in Lost Empires of Faerun or the Ur Priest with a few changes to the specials and fluff.

Divine Grace at level 10 instead of Energy resistance 2nd type.

Choice of a Second Domain at level 12 instead of weapon specialization.

Instead of Wings at level 17 I'd have something cool like Summon Aspect of the Diety based on the Dragon Magic spell Aspect of the Platinum Dragon.

Some of these have a cost of deferring or foregoing PRC advancement.
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2007-10-10 at 02:06 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Favored Soul does go a little bit too far in nerfing the Cleric.
    I very much disagree. Favored souls are weak by full-caster standards, but they can still pull off CoDzilla perfectly well--in fact, even a bit better than the cleric, since they get more spells per day to do it with. Their power level is easily up there with the Tome of Battle classes.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Agreed. It's too bad that they have to burn spells known on every healing spell, but more or les unavoidable, and the Panacea and Heal spells allow them to keep up with the cleric's ability to remove every negative condition under the sun.

And they are excellent self-buffers, particularly since Wisdom isn't all that important if you go that route. Of course, you need Strength if you do that; so you're faced with a choice between being an offensive spellcaster or a self-buffing warrior. And the real problem with clerics is that as written, they do both with very little effort.

They make an interesting contrast to fighters who don't have to buff; the barbarians and warblades can just charge right in, whereas the favored soul has to choose how many buff spells to use before wading in.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the Favored Soul, but I don't get the weapon focus, weapon specialization, energy resistance and the wings feature. I'd change it all for the ability to get a domain.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Energy Resistance, Weapon Focus/Specialization, Wings: Why do people say they don't understand why the favored soul has these class features? They're blessed by their god. Specifically chosen. They're given a slight measure of the deity's skill with their preferred weapon, they're protected from harmful magic, and eventually may be made into something even closer to their patron deity, hence wings (nearly every deity has winged servants)/damage reduction.

I agree that they should have some way of getting a domain, though.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree with the above poster. Though maybe take out Weapon Focus + Specialization and get domain. I think CASTLEMIKE had an interesting special list, mainly with the way energy resistance was used (in this case, replaced)

EDIT: Also, I love Favoured Souls! Heck, even my avatar is one!
    Last edited by Shas aia Toriia; 2007-10-10 at 04:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    And replaced by sorcerers.
    Or Psions.

Warblade, Crusader, Swordsage, Ardent, Psion, Binder, Bard, Psychic Warrior, Ranger, Psychic Rogue, Factotum, Favored Soul. I think that's a fairly well-balanced set of out-of-the-book classes to let people pick from. (Though of course it gets better if we're allowed to houserule anything about the classes, too. And there are probably more classes out there that could be added to this list without breaking anything, too.)
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

I always thought that not being able to turn/rebuke undead was a big weakness. Many undead encounters that would have been tough have been quickly solved by some lucky rolls during a turn/rebuke check. Still, the favored soul gets some nice things. Wings, energy resistance, and weapon specialization.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

27. - Top - End - #27

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Artemician View Post
    The Wings/Weapon Focus never made sense to me as well. But then again, neither did Turn Undead.
    You never saw how a man of the faith could banish undead abominations with the pure, unrelenting symbol of his good deity? Huh...

Now, I don't get this whole, 'turn attempts as ammo for cooler abilities' thing they've got going, but whatever.
    Stoic (and apparently only) member of the Fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuckets View Post
    And then the Rock totally sneaks up and impales them both on an American flag.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I give Favored Souls the ability to pick one domain and get that domain's spells as bonus spells known. I also let them pick a (reasonable) bonus feat if they don't want weapon focus.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    I give Favored Souls the ability to pick one domain and get that domain's spells as bonus spells known. I also let them pick a (reasonable) bonus feat if they don't want weapon focus.
    Me too, I also tend to let favorite souls use their deities other domains as options to pick from for spells known... Afterall.. Why can't favored souls learn the more esoteric domain only spells?

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    No, it is a balancing feature, because it makes the cleric(one of the big three, and probably big two) less powerful, IE more balanced.
    How does a sucky class do anything to address the cleric or it's power level? Hexblades aren't retroactively depowering Duskblades, nor does the existence of Wu Jens "balance" the Wizard.