New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Need Keypad for Someone Who Can’t Speak

I have a parent in the hospital who’s on a breathing mask and unable to speak. I’m trying to find something she can use to type out letters on a screen.

We’ve tried my phone, but the virtual keys are too small and she doesn’t have the coordination for it. Is there anything else we could use? I feel like there should be some sort of kid’s touchpad that could work here, but not sure what would fit the need.

Something with keys is essential, since her handwriting is too shaky. The ones I’ve found on Amazon are either too expensive or complete junk. Can anyone recommend something that would work?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Need Keypad for Someone Who Can’t Speak

You could get a kids EZ type keyboard and hook it to a tablet. That would give her large keys to use and a screen that shows what she says. There are other ones built for adults that cost a lot more for what is basically the same thing if bright colors seem offensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

If she can use a regular computer keyboard, she can type on a phone/tablet using either a Bluetooth keyboard or a USB keyboard (you'll need an adapter to plug it into the phone - my friend has one for the "fake laptop" he built with a mechanical keyboard and a tablet on a stand).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Would something like this do it? Big Button Keyboard.

The Royal National Institute for the Blind also do stuff like this: Large print Bluetooth mini keyboard for iOS and MAC. Might be worth having a look around their site for other ideas.

(Granted, these are UK outlets, but you should be able to get the same sort of stuff locally)
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

You could try to simply use a tablet or laptop. On that the virtual keys are larger than on a Phone (at least, on my old and large tablet they are). My dad also has coordination issues after a stroke and he can use a tablet and laptop without too much problems.
    Last edited by farothel; 2019-09-14 at 05:45 AM.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."