New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XVI: Where the Ordnance is Hand-Delivered!

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Talk to me about Perturabo. Especially "modern-day" Perturabo. What's known? What's hinted at? What's guessed?
    He has a fight with Mortarion over a temple about who gets to summon Daemons for their Legion.

Perturabo: The longer I play this out, the more protracted the fighting becomes! I love stupid, protracted fights!
    Mortarion: ...Fine with me. Say, have you ever heard the phrase 'incubation phase'? It's one of my favourites.

Mortarion then kicks the **** out of Perturabo. Because the longer the Death Guard fight, the more likely it is that they simply win by default, due to their enemy both figuratively and literally losing their water. Also, your dudes become their dudes.

That is all.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XVI: Where the Ordnance is Hand-Delivered!

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Talk to me about Perturabo. Especially "modern-day" Perturabo. What's known? What's hinted at? What's guessed?
    This was a fairly decent introduction to Perturabo.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

3. - Top - End - #753
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Note: Do not click. Arch can go to hell.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

4. - Top - End - #754

Griffon

Perturabo is probably the least-utilised of the Chaos Primarchs, with the possible exception of Lorgar. Since the Iron Cage which took place a handful of years after the Siege of Terra, he's pretty much just killed more Imperial Fists, got made into a Daemon Prince, and then joined in the 13th Black Crusade in M41.999. He's popped out of the warp once or twice for the odd raid here, occasional burned planet there, but nothing of consequence comparable to running his own Black Crusade or getting involved in a notable war like Armageddon or Fenris.

It's kind of a shame really, because with so few appearences he's not had much development since M31. He's still just the angry guy who wants to tear down the Imperium, preferably in siege warfare but he'll use techno-sorcery or summon an army of daemons if he really needs to.
    He has no new motivations or interactions - he's already 'beaten' Rogal Dorn twice, once by crushing the walls of the Imperial Palace and then again by annihilating his legion at the Eternal Fortress. By rights someone could make a really interesting character study about what makes him tick now that the Emperor is dead and Dorn has been humiliated; maybe he could start gunning for Guilliman who interrupted the Iron Cage, saved Dorn and has now dared to re-emerge where he can be targetted.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Note: Do not click. Arch can go to hell.
    Never heard of him. We don't like Arch for some reason...?
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    He's a "pillar of the community" that GW are having nothing to do with because he is just incredibly racist. There are better sources for any information. I can provide evidence by PM but i'm not certain that these particular citations are allowed by board rules.

6. - Top - End - #756

He is formerly known as Arch Warhammer. Formerly for a reason. It takes quite a bit for GW to force YouTubers to stop associating with their brand name. Look him up; I'm not going to discuss it on this forum.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

We don't like him. The reasons probably break forum rules. I suggest google.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

In short; He is the literal definition of That Guy.

1. His fake accent is infuriating.
    2. He frequently just makes **** up.
    3. He has bad political views.

Anything 'good' he or his fanbase ever does (e.g; Forcing GW's hand to update Sororitas and insert more female characters into the fluff during 2018...Keep in mind that that probably wasn't his goal or desired result...That's just what happened), is more often than not, invalidated by one of the above three.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

Perturabo is probably the least-utilised of the Chaos Primarchs, with the possible exception of Lorgar. Since the Iron Cage which took place a handful of years after the Siege of Terra, he's pretty much just killed more Imperial Fists, got made into a Daemon Prince, and then joined in the 13th Black Crusade in M41.999. He's popped out of the warp once or twice for the odd raid here, occasional burned planet there, but nothing of consequence comparable to running his own Black Crusade or getting involved in a notable war like Armageddon or Fenris.

It's kind of a shame really, because with so few appearences he's not had much development since M31. He's still just the angry guy who wants to tear down the Imperium, preferably in siege warfare but he'll use techno-sorcery or summon an army of daemons if he really needs to.
    He has no new motivations or interactions - he's already 'beaten' Rogal Dorn twice, once by crushing the walls of the Imperial Palace and then again by annihilating his legion at the Eternal Fortress. By rights someone could make a really interesting character study about what makes him tick now that the Emperor is dead and Dorn has been humiliated; maybe he could start gunning for Guilliman who interrupted the Iron Cage, saved Dorn and has now dared to re-emerge where he can be targetted.

Just reintroduce him in the same story cycle as Dorn's return. Or have him somehow motivate Dorn's return, or vice versa.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Just reintroduce him in the same story cycle as Dorn's return. Or have him somehow motivate Dorn's return, or vice versa.
    Problem; Perturabo's main problem is that he has no motivation outside of Rogal Dorn.

Solution; Keep tying him intricately to Dorn. 41K is just 30K, but again.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

11. - Top - End - #761

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    I suggest google.
    Nope, that's fine - the number of people who immediately stepped forward with the same statements is more than enough for me to take your word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Problem; Perturabo's main problem is that he has no motivation outside of Rogal Dorn.

Solution; Keep tying him intricately to Dorn. 41K is just 30K, but again.
    I just wrote a reason for him to go after Guilliman in 3 seconds as a throw-away line, and frankly his personality has been all over the show in the novels because he keeps being written by different authors so he could really go anywhere and do anything and it wouldn't be controversial.
    The problem with Perturabo isn't that he keeps getting paired with Dorn, it's that he's one of those characters who has to be in 40k for legacy reasons, and none of the writers are particularly interested or invested in doing anything with him more than token appearances.

Kind of what happened to the codex writers between 4th and 6th edition - the rumour goes that no one in the GW offices actually played Orks or Tyranids, and that's why their codices were so uninspiring. The writers weren't invested in them and/or didn't understand how they were supposed to work because it wasn't 'their' army.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The problem with Perturabo isn't that he keeps getting paired with Dorn, it's that he's one of those characters who has to be in 40k for legacy reasons, and none of the writers are particularly interested or invested in doing anything with him more than token appearances.
    Even the Tallarn anthology, offers surprisingly little insight into his character.
    Which is really weird, since John French loves writing introspective character pieces - and he's my favorite BL author because of it.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

13. - Top - End - #763
    Banned

The problem with Perturabo isn't that he keeps getting paired with Dorn, it's that he's one of those characters who has to be in 40k for legacy reasons, and none of the writers are particularly interested or invested in doing anything with him more than token appearances..
    Even the Tallarn anthology, offers surprisingly little insight into his character.
    Which is really weird, since John French loves writing introspective character pieces - and he's my favorite BL author because of it.

Also, throw as much shade as you want on the guy, he shat all over Dorn's 'master plan' for defending Saturn by pushing a freaking space hulk through the gate. Phalanx my leadbelcher-primed ass, eat an actual moon you giant tangerine.

Even if Horus hadn't taken a shortcut via the rift, there was no doubt the void battle was won by the traitors, even before they leveraged their overwhelming numbers.

Kind of what happened to the codex writers between 4th and 6th edition - the rumour goes that no one in the GW offices actually played Orks or Tyranids, and that's why their codices were so uninspiring. The writers weren't invested in them and/or didn't understand how they were supposed to work because it wasn't 'their' army
    If true, thats pretty stupid. Who cares what your feelings are on toy soldiers? You get hired to do a job, then do that job to the extent of your skill, or get fired.
    Last edited by LansXero; 2020-08-08 at 02:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

Geez. Didn't know there was such a dislike for that guy. Sorry for posting it. I watched it and didn't really get any bad vibes from him in the video and he did seem to cover Perturabo's early life pretty detailed. Again, sorry for any discomfort I caused.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2020-08-08 at 03:00 PM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

15. - Top - End - #765

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Geez. Didn't know there was such a dislike for that guy. Sorry for posting it. I watched it and didn't really get any bad vibes from him in the video and he did seem to cover Perturabo's early life pretty detailed. Again, sorry for any discomfort I caused.
    Go look up any video of his with "feminism" in the title or his condemnation of the cover art of Avenging Son if you want to see what we're talking about, but be prepared to take a shower afterward. Also the fake accent (and it is 100% fake; he's Norwegian and you can hear it slip sometimes) remains annoying no matter what he's talking about.

16. - Top - End - #766

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Also, throw as much shade as you want on the guy, he shat all over Dorn's 'master plan' for defending Saturn by pushing a freaking space hulk through the gate. Phalanx my leadbelcher-primed ass, eat an actual moon you giant tangerine.
    Don't get me wrong, I *want* Perturabo to be used better rather than just as the whiner with the martyr complex. There's tons of stories that could be written about how that develops, and how his ambition to be recognised drives him into ever more dangerous and threatening entreaties with the warp powers and his brothers like some kind of tragic figure that is blind to his own bull-headed mistakes, doomed to forever forge onwards and into deeper debt but never able to admit to it or ask for help.

But, no - he's the siege guy. He turns a planet into a dungeon and sits there forever pretending that he doesn't care that no one has complimented him on his latest great creation. At least Lorgar has the excuse that he's off communing with the Chaos Gods, deep in meditation and unravelling the great mysteries of the warp - Perturabo doesn't do very much because he's boring, and it would be so very easy for him to be otherwise.

If true, thats pretty stupid. Who cares what your feelings are on toy soldiers? You get hired to do a job, then do that job to the extent of your skill, or get fired.
    Such is the rumour anyway, I won't pretend any secret insider knowledge.
    It is generally said, however, that Robin Cruddace is the main culprit - he's supposed to love tanks which is why his Imperial Guard 5th edition was pretty good, but his Tyranids 5th edition (the complete opposite of tanks) almost killed the faction. It's not a matter of feelings towards the faction - I have no reason to believe that it was intended to screw over Tyranid players - it's just that he wasn't used to the style which the army needed and made a lot of wrong guesses, and there was no one else in the office who knew enough to correct him.

It was shortly after that wherein GW stopped putting the names of authors on their codices, thanks to the backlash against Tyranids 5th and Grey Knights 5th (the Matt Ward one) so make of it what you will.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-08-08 at 05:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The way the story goes, is that back in the day, and especially before Matt Ward, people would volunteer to write Codecies. And as such, it wasn't so much merit that got you put on a Codex - it was passion.

Who wants to write Eldar/4? *Phil Kelly's hand rockets up* "Put me in, Coach. I'm ready!"
    The idea being that Phil plays Eldar, and loves Eldar. He has an in-depth understanding of their fluff. He plays them on the tabletop, too, so inherently has a bias and a wish-list, too. If you let Phil design an Eldar Codex, it's going to be the best Vaul-damned Codex you've ever seen.
    (Cue Eldar dominating every edition except 5th, the edition where they didn't get a Codex. Because the people who wrote Eldar Codecies [e.g; Gav Thorpe], wanted to write Eldar Codecies.)

Alright, boys. Who wants to write Orks/4? *Mumblings and grumblings heard throughout the office.*
    Nobody? *Mmphberhumph*
    Nobody? 'Right then. **** it. Phil! You're doing Orks. "...****."

The job was thrown onto Phil who has no interest in Orks. And as such has no idea what needs to get buffed and/or nerfed so the Codex gets to be an underwhelming garbage pile of fire-garbage on fire. But hey, he got to write his Eldar Codex, so it's not like he cares, right?

That, or...You're right.
    'To the extent of their skill.' and Phil Kelly's 'skill' is bad...But that doesn't explain his Eldar/4 Codex, does it? Or his 3.5 Guard and Chaos Marine Codecies. Hell, Phil Kelly wrote the Eldar/6 book. So you know it's not that he doesn't know how to write phenomenal rules. It's that when it came to Orks/4; He either chose not to, or didn't understand the Faction at all because he didn't care to.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2020-08-08 at 09:47 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

18. - Top - End - #768
    Banned

He either chose not to, or didn't understand the Faction at all because he didn't care to.
    Thats not how professional work... works, but I guess we both know that.

I blame whales / casuals for not giving a crap and buying stuff anyways. Why waste money on rules and QA when they'll lap it all up whatever they push out?

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

I blame whales / casuals for not giving a crap and buying stuff anyways. Why waste money on rules and QA when they'll lap it all up whatever they push out?
    You got me, what the heck is a "whale"?
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    People who spend very large amounts of money on hobbies. I've mostly heard the tearm in association with "free" pay-to-win games; whales are the people who spend thousands of dollars on Farmville or whatever, who make up the bulk of the game's revenue.
    ithilanor on Steam.

21. - Top - End - #771

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Someone who buys everything regardless of quality.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

GW's lack of professionalism aside, it's not like a lot of customers have a choice. You like Orks? Well nobody at GW likes Orks so you get less Codex updates, and they are typically of lower quality. Your options are switch factions, or quit the game outright, or stick it out. If you switch factions, all you do is tell GW that powerful faction (IE Space Marines) should continue to get all the attention. If you quit, GW doesn't know why, because back then, they didn't accept feedback or do customer surveys. Only in sticking it out would you have a 'voice' in GW's statistics. Not that it would matter because it would be drowned out by the Space Marine players anyways.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What’s really ridiculous is that, both back in the day and (I believe) now, there is only really one person writing each codex. I get the impression it’s got a bit better in terms if seeking feedback from others, but every codex should be a team effort with everyone contributing, and it doesn’t sound like that’s how they run things. Sure have someone leading the project, but you should have a lot of people offering material. Instead, I get the impression that there is the core team lead, who gives feedback on everyone else’s work, then individuals have their own codex to work on individually.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Thats not how professional work... works...
    "It's only toy soldiers."
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

25. - Top - End - #775
    Banned

"It's only toy soldiers."
    Toys are one of the largest businesses in the world currently, soldier-shaped or otherwise. I always thought it was silly to want to separte GW 'super serious collectible figures' from the 'toy' category. Toys are a huge industry, while collectibles or worse scale models are niche things that barely move the needle.

26. - Top - End - #776

Griffon

Despite what you may have expected, GW's rules-writing team is like, 20 guys. And that's for GW, not just 40k - they all do 40k, and 30k, and AoS, and Necromunda, and Blood Bowl season 2 is due out soon, not to mention the smaller games besides.

'Professional' in this case means to churn out 8+ games systems worth of content every 6 months, don't get credited because Codices don't have authors' names on them any more, and then burn out in under a year for not a notable amount of pay.

Play-testing? Working on passion projects? Having time to learn how something works before you're having to build a stat-block for it? What's that?
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-08-09 at 05:34 PM.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    People who spend very large amounts of money on hobbies. I've mostly heard the tearm in association with "free" pay-to-win games; whales are the people who spend thousands of dollars on Farmville or whatever, who make up the bulk of the game's revenue.
    A truism is that the 80/20 rules tends to apply. The whales are the 20% providing 80% of the revenue. And yea free to play (not all are pay to win) is where I seen the "whale" term originate.

Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    What’s really ridiculous is that, both back in the day and (I believe) now, there is only really one person writing each codex. I get the impression it’s got a bit better in terms if seeking feedback from others, but every codex should be a team effort with everyone contributing, and it doesn’t sound like that’s how they run things. Sure have someone leading the project, but you should have a lot of people offering material. Instead, I get the impression that there is the core team lead, who gives feedback on everyone else’s work, then individuals have their own codex to work on individually.
    I think there is a very improtant reason why they do not. With 1 person writing the book it's easier to get it internally consistent(*). Persons 2, 3 and 5 didn't just change a rule behind your back. And while you can work around that it still does become less effective. If 1 author 1 book is used those 5 people could be working on 5 projects in parallell too, instead of all mucking about in one book. GW being GW ofc I don't expect them to manage to hit any upsides but all the drawbacks of doing it like that.

Because 1 author 1 book risks turning it into a passion project, and we know that is how a lot of it used to be written. They've said as much over the years. Everyone wanted to write Space Marines, where some factions ended up with someone "stuck with it". I would argue you could almost tell from a codex where the author was "into" the army or not.

(*) yes I know, even that tends to fail, frankly I'm not sure how GW manages to make such a mess of everything

28. - Top - End - #778
    Bugbear in the Playground

The term "Whale" stems from gambling: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_roller. And no, I don't have anything of value to add to the discussion :)

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I somehow managed to miss this all yet still sorta picked up there was discussion about codex writers.

It's a bit simplistic to say "do your job or get fired". They did their jobs. That was the problem. Writing a good codex is not a "just do your job" situation. Anyone can ddig a ditch and you can jsut swap out the person holding the shovel. A codex is trickier if you want it to feel right to the players. It's more than just raw mechanics, which would be the "do the job part". This is a hobby, and it needs to fuel passion or we won't buy their grossly overpriced models. The best way to do that is to get someone who "gets" the army and the players to write it. If you approach the codex like an accountant the result we will be thereafter.

Pete Haines was a massive Chaos fan and he got it right with the 3.5 Chaos codex. But you can tell it was a passion project since some of it was a bitoverblown. The 4e codex written by Gav & someone else managed to rip all that heart out. They did not get Chaos or what us players wanted from it. It was "meh" in every conceivable way, even though the machanics were solid. But, again, "meh". And then it suffers against all the other passion project codices coming along.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    I somehow managed to miss this all yet still sorta picked up there was discussion about codex writers.

It's a bit simplistic to say "do your job or get fired". They did their jobs.
    Yeah... no. Maybe at first. You have decades of videogames, novels, previous editions, fandex, etc. to crib from. 'Getting' a faction is not super hard, you just have to care about what you do. Sure, some stuff will still feel off but Im not asking for mathhammery perfect super stats. Just something better than for example the sisters beta codex, or no day 1 errata like with space wolves, or not keeping the wraithknight useless two editions in a row. Or even worse, taking a sub-faction with a huge amount of stuff to simply steal (blood ravens) and making it as lazily generic as possible (heh just take any trait and be done lolz)