New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XVI: Where the Ordnance is Hand-Delivered!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Shields have also been known to disrupt Teleportation. Although classic Black Library, it's really inconsistent.
    Indeed, also consider this, teleporting in is probably more difficult/dangerous than teleporting out.
    Also, some Space Hulks are just unsafe to teleport (for reasons) while others are safe(r).
    Also, once the reason(s) teleportation is unsafe are resolved, suddenly the Termis can zap about the place. The writing possibilities are vast

2. - Top - End - #542
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XVI: Where the Ordnance is Hand-Delivered!

Quote Originally Posted by Platinius View Post
    Indeed, also consider this, teleporting in is probably more difficult/dangerous than teleporting out.
    Also, some Space Hulks are just unsafe to teleport (for reasons) while others are safe(r).
    Also, once the reason(s) teleportation is unsafe are resolved, suddenly the Termis can zap about the place. The writing possibilities are vast
    It's occasionally been shown that a Teleport Homing Beacon has to be activated before it can be used - it's not 'Always On' to... I dunno, save power, or make sure you don't get picked up on sensors, or something.

The idea being that if you turn off your beacon so that you can instead use your respirator or night-vision or your power fist or something, and then you die, there's no way that your suit can be 'found' without someone physically going out and looking for it.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

3. - Top - End - #543
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    It's occasionally been shown that a Teleport Homing Beacon has to be activated before it can be used - it's not 'Always On' to... I dunno, save power, or make sure you don't get picked up on sensors, or something.

The idea being that if you turn off your beacon so that you can instead use your respirator or night-vision or your power fist or something, and then you die, there's no way that your suit can be 'found' without someone physically going out and looking for it.
    Or when the Genestealer rips your heart out he also damages the Homing Beacon so no 'porting out
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    I'd say Blood Ravens probably also have a great many Terminator armor since they most likely keep "finding them"
    There is literally a mission in DoW 2 where this very thing happens
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    There is literally a mission in DoW 2 where this very thing happens
    Exactly.

All these Thousand Sons Terminator armor have been left doing nothing for 10,000 years.

6. - Top - End - #546

"Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Turns out my first instinct was right: https://www.warhammer-community.com/...-consequences/

Spoiler
    Show
    Turns out it's a rather striking example of how unreasonable Imperial doctrine can be. The Primaris were new additions to the Chapter, and presumably had never even communicated with them.

But I suppose Gerion could have handled things better. Hmm.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show

That story suddenly raises questions in me. It goes out of its way, at least twice that I counted, to mention how helpless ordinary mortals are in a battle between demigods, and how quickly they just get slaughtered for trying to get involved. But the narrator isn't just able to survive in the midst of a fight between Primaris and Custodes, she's able to kill several Primaris and land a crippling blow on Gideon. Does this indicate the Silent Sisters are somehow augmented to an Astartes-level combat capability, or do we just have Batman Training with a Protagonist Power multiplier?
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2020-04-20 at 09:40 AM.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Colossus in the Playground

Regarding Silent Sister durability

Spoiler
    Show
    They wear power armour, and are Blanks. And are very experienced combatants. Imagine Jurgen from the Cain books, think about all the horrors he's gone against and lived to tell the tale. Then give him power armour on top of that.

Suddenly her survival doesn't look so implausible.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So, just to clarify, the brand new Primaris marines being transported to support their new chapter, that had never even seen or communicated with any member of their new chapter, were accused of heresy because there was a war going on on the homeworld of their new chapter?
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2020-04-20 at 10:13 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

11. - Top - End - #551

Spoiler
    Show

That part's not super surprising. "Bad Seed = Tainted Fruit" is a long-running prejudice in 40k, particularly with regards to Space Marines. They did (officially) purge all the geneseed of the Traitor chapters from the gene-vaults after the Heresy. And I can see a Custodes captain being even more inflexible than usual on that point.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

That story suddenly raises questions in me. It goes out of its way, at least twice that I counted, to mention how helpless ordinary mortals are in a battle between demigods, and how quickly they just get slaughtered for trying to get involved. But the narrator isn't just able to survive in the midst of a fight between Primaris and Custodes, she's able to kill several Primaris and land a crippling blow on Gideon. Does this indicate the Silent Sisters are somehow augmented to an Astartes-level combat capability, or do we just have Batman Training with a Protagonist Power multiplier?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Isn't she a Knight-Centura - effectively Space Marine Captain equivalent rank-wise? That's fine - another Silent Sister gets unceremoniously clubbed to death, after all.

13. - Top - End - #553

Griffon

Sisters of Silence are more or less like the Assassin Temples; they're humans rather than transhumans/Astartes, BUT they're exquisitely trained, exotically armed and augmented way above that of a normal human.

Spoiler
    Show
    A really, really good one could sensibly get the jump on an unsuspecting Astartes - particularly a newly unfrozen one as the story suggests - but generally speaking I wouldn't count on that as a reliable outcome.

14. - Top - End - #554

Sisters are just Trained That Good then, I guess. I just wasnt sure if I had missed some 8e fluff about the Sisters being Custodes-grade superhumans somehow.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2020-04-20 at 11:00 AM.

15. - Top - End - #555

Quote Originally Posted by bluntpencil View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Isn't she a Knight-Centura - effectively Space Marine Captain equivalent rank-wise? That's fine - another Silent Sister gets unceremoniously clubbed to death, after all.
    Assuming that
    Spoiler
    Show
    a 42K-era Knight-Centura is the same thing as a 31K-era Oblivion Knight-Centura, then yes, she's Captain-equivalent.

Currently, 8e has no stats for Silent Sister army commanders, but I think we can presume they still exist, even if GW hasn't bothered to stat them out yet.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Assuming that
    Spoiler
    Show
    a 42K-era Knight-Centura is the same thing as a 31K-era Oblivion Knight-Centura, then yes, she's Captain-equivalent.

Currently, 8e has no stats for Silent Sister army commanders, but I think we can presume they still exist, even if GW hasn't bothered to stat them out yet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming that this is a hint towards the Sisters of Silence Psychic Awakening

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, just to clarify, the brand new Primaris marines being transported to support their new chapter, that had never even seen or communicated with any member of their new chapter, were accused of heresy because there was a war going on on the homeworld of their new chapter?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes. This is an aspect of the Imperium that sometimes gets forgotten. When it comes to heresy, the "correct" response can seem disproportionate to the average reader. I'm genuinely surprised that GW chose to remind us of that, at the expense of the Primaris (their shiny new mascots) however. Interesting decision.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

18. - Top - End - #558

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes. This is an aspect of the Imperium that sometimes gets forgotten. When it comes to heresy, the "correct" response can seem disproportionate to the average reader. I'm genuinely surprised that GW chose to remind us of that, at the expense of the Primaris (their shiny new mascots) however. Interesting decision.
    A big rumour is that one of the next Psychic Awakening books will introduce Renegade Primaris, so as motivation for that it makes as much sense as anything.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

A big rumour is that one of the next Psychic Awakening books will introduce Renegade Primaris, so as motivation for that it makes as much sense as anything.
    Just keep releasing Primaris Upgrade Kits for anything you want that even vaguely resembles forcing people to buy Space Marines.
    Want some AdMech Primaris to represent Cawl's Renegades? ...Boom. Shoulder pads with with the AdMech Cog. It would be incredibly easy for GW to make an Upgrade Kit for literally anything the community wants. All's it takes is a drag-and-drop in CAD and they have a new upgrade kit.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

Hasn't Renegade Primaris been rumored since the start of 8th Ed? Is there anything to make it seem more likely now?

21. - Top - End - #561

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Hasn't Renegade Primaris been rumored since the start of 8th Ed? Is there anything to make it seem more likely now?
    You mean apart from Warhammer Community literally depicting a Primaris Chapter going renegade in the story yesterday?
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

22. - Top - End - #562

Griffon

There was conjecture, right at the very beginning of the edition, that it could happen because Cawl was sketchy and no one trusted him as far as they could throw him.

This is however the first time that it has been depicted in official media, as far as I know, and it's the first time that rumours/leaks have been made about a specific product containing their stats rather than just "it could happen at some point".

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

This is however the first time that it has been depicted in official media, as far as I know...
    There were a number of suggestive lines in War of Secrets that hinted that the Primaris Marines sent to the Dark Angels were loyal to Cawl, rather than Guilliman - let alone Lion.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

24. - Top - End - #564

Griffon

There were a number of suggestive lines in War of Secrets that hinted that the Primaris Marines sent to the Dark Angels were loyal to Cawl, rather than Guilliman - let alone Lion.
    I got a few Chapters into that and decided that the Primaris Marines sounded like high school jocks, with weirdly contemporary language and some odd, casual turns of phrase.

I'm used to Astartes being stuck-up and overly formal, and hearing Primaris making snide comments to each other really put me off, and I never went back to it. What I did read didn't seem like rebellious talk as such, just.... kind of childishly insolent.

25. - Top - End - #565

I get the impression from the Horus Heresy books that Heresy-era marines, at least in some chapters, are less formal than their 40K counterparts. And some Primaris chapters have been in stasis since the Heresy era.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I get the impression from the Horus Heresy books that Heresy-era marines, at least in some chapters, are less formal than their 40K counterparts.
    Well, you see:
    When ADB writes bantz between the Night Lords, or when John French writes a number of Legion Captains roasting Sigismund for having a stick up his arse. Or when Josh Reynolds writes White Scars dunking on each other.

...John French doesn't write people making fun of Ahriman. That's not what the Thousand Sons do. And that's not the Theme of the story he's trying to set up. And even if that did happen, Ahriman would not take it well. ADB even wrote a JokingNotJoking post about Sevatar definitely not calling Ahriman 'an unbearable Terran ****head'. Yeah. That's probably in Sevatar's character to say that. But it's not in ADB's writing, to have Sevatar say that, to Ahriman. Josh Reynolds didn't have Bretonnian Knights make fun of each other (holy **** that series was good), Josh Reynolds did have an Empire man tear the Bretonnians a new a*hole. But he didn't have Bretonnians doing it to each other.

Phil Kelly is...Well...Phil Kelly. He's already not that good. And then he's inserting 'those guys' into a Dark Angels book.
    Like. What are you doing?

What even is the tone you're trying to set? And why can't you even execute it?
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2020-04-21 at 11:18 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    You mean apart from Warhammer Community literally depicting a Primaris Chapter going renegade in the story yesterday?
    Am I badly misreading this story or is everyone else? The fleet arrives at the planet to find the OG Brazen Drakes are heretics, and everyone immediately mistrusts the Primaris Drakes. The Primaris drakes object to this and one of them gets shot, they try and take the fleet in self-defense, and get butchered by the Custodes/Sisters. That's a very broad definition of "going renegade" - surely the whole point of this story is the Imperium's fanatic inflexibility causing it to meaninglessly murder a whole bunch of its own soldiers?

If you knew that the reason the OG Drakes fell was because of some geneseed flaw then maybe you'd have a point in mistrusting the new ones, but "your estranged father who you never met was a murderer. we're going to give you the death penalty" is... well, its one of those things we were talking about where the point is that the Imperium does things wrong.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

Am I badly misreading this story or is everyone else? The fleet arrives at the planet to find the OG Brazen Drakes are heretics, and everyone immediately mistrusts the Primaris Drakes. The Primaris drakes object to this and one of them gets shot, they try and take the fleet in self-defense, and get butchered by the Custodes/Sisters. That's a very broad definition of "going renegade" - surely the whole point of this story is the Imperium's fanatic inflexibility causing it to meaninglessly murder a whole bunch of its own soldiers?

If you knew that the reason the OG Drakes fell was because of some geneseed flaw then maybe you'd have a point in mistrusting the new ones, but "your estranged father who you never met was a murderer. we're going to give you the death penalty" is... well, its one of those things we were talking about where the point is that the Imperium does things wrong.
    They should've surrendered. Protest your innocence sure, but comply. Because there is no take-backs when you betray the Imperium. And going against a Custodes is almost the definition of betraying the Imperium.

Was the Custodes being unreasonable and inflexible? Almost certainly. But the only way they could've stayed loyal was to comply. Anything else is going Renegade and almost inevitably falling to Chaos.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

29. - Top - End - #569

No, you're not misreading it; they were indeed forced into it by the Custodian. But if they win and seize the fleet, what do you think happens next?

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    They should've surrendered. Protest your innocence sure, but comply.
    This is a terrible idea in a non-fascist, non-authoritarian context. If the Drakes captain feels any responsibility to his troops, he can't do this. This is the opposite of the A Team.