New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XVI: Where the Ordnance is Hand-Delivered!

Old World lore question: Does anyone have any lore insight on the afterlife for Laurelorn wood elves? The wikis are clear that High Elves rely on Waystones to protect their souls from Slaanesh and Ereth Khial, while Wood Elves have a bond with Athel Loren.

But the Eonir live in Laurelorn, and there's no indication that it has the same mystical properties Athel Loren has. So...do the Elves of Laurelorn need Waystones? Or is Laurelorn like a mini-Athel-Loren? Or are they just out of luck for XTRA GRIMDARK TRAJEDEE?!
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XVI: Where the Ordnance is Hand-Delivered!

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Old World lore question: Does anyone have any lore insight on the afterlife for Laurelorn wood elves? The wikis are clear that High Elves rely on Waystones to protect their souls from Slaanesh and Ereth Khial, while Wood Elves have a bond with Athel Loren.

But the Eonir live in Laurelorn, and there's no indication that it has the same mystical properties Athel Loren has. So...do the Elves of Laurelorn need Waystones? Or is Laurelorn like a mini-Athel-Loren? Or are they just out of luck for XTRA GRIMDARK TRAJEDEE?!
    I mean, from what I can tell, Laurelorn is exactly like a mini-Athel-Loren.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

What motivation would the Adeptus Mechanicus have for warring with the Tau (or visa versa)?

I ask because a buddy and I might be duking it out over the tabletop with these two factions and we both like to weave narrative into our games.

We could go with the basic Imperial hates everything xeno narrative, but that seems rather bland. So I was wondering if there is any precedent for those two armies in particular to fight.

For example...
    • Does the AM seek to destroy xeno tech?
    • Is there a heretical AM sect that likes to steal tech from xeno races?
    • Have the Tau ever attempted to colonize a forgeworld?
    • Etc.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Yes and yes.

Obviously the first one - xenotech, particularly Abominable Intelligence, is an offense to the Machine God. The Tau use massive quantities of A.I. in everything they do.

Then you have the radical Xenarite faction that seeks to study and learn from xenos tech, the radical Khamrians who are fascinated with AI, the Crucible Resolviate that specifically studies Xenos machine spirits, and possible some I've forgotten.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by xroads View Post
    Does the AM seek to destroy xeno tech?
    Yes. Unsanctioned tech, let alone xeno tech, is an abomination unto the Omnissiah and should be purged.

Is there a heretical AM sect that likes to steal tech from xeno races?
    Yes. Capturing and studying xeno tech to find out how it works so that the Imperium can fight against it is well within the purview of the AdMech.
    Reverse-engineering it and making new stuff for the Imperium is QUIETLY something that the AdMech will do if they think they can get away with it. See also: the Deathwatch, the Grey Knights, Inquisitorial Warbands such as the Jokaero and the Null Rod, the Adeptus Assassinorum and Phase Blades.

Have the Tau ever attempted to colonize a forgeworld?
    Not any specific examples that I can think of, however the Tau expansions aren't really picky about such things - if they decide that their most recent Sphere contains a Forgeworld, they'll try to recruit it just because it's there.

Similarly, Imperial Knights broadly fall under the remit of the AdMech, so they would come to the aid of a Knight World if the Tau tried to annex that too. Not to mention, research outposts and secret laboratories hidden across the galaxy that belong to the AdMech that they don't want anyone to find.

Probably one of the biggest reasons that the AdMech would try to exterminate the Tau is because the Tau use true AIs in the warmachines. That is utterly anathema to the AdMech, which is why they only ever use Servitors and machines with a "human" component, and something as simple as a Tau Drone would be considered the highest blasphemy.

And then see above about capturing xenos tech if they think they can get away with it.....
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-07-28 at 11:51 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

6. - Top - End - #696
    Titan in the Playground

For example...
    • Does the AM seek to destroy xeno tech?
    • Is there a heretical AM sect that likes to steal tech from xeno races?
    • Have the Tau ever attempted to colonize a forgeworld?
    • Etc.
    You can generally safely assume with anything Imperial that A: Interacting in any positive way with xenos items is Forbidden Heresy, and B: There are significant factions doing so anyways.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't forget that "there might be STC there" could be used as an excuse for the AdMech to pick a fight with pretty much anybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

8. - Top - End - #698
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Probably one of the biggest reasons that the AdMech would try to exterminate the Tau is because the Tau use true AIs in the warmachines. That is utterly anathema to the AdMech, which is why they only ever use Servitors and machines with a "human" component, and something as simple as a Tau Drone would be considered the highest blasphemy.
    Do servo skulls count as AI? Or are they more 'remote control' than 'AI'? Does the fact that the robot brain is embedded in a human skull count as enough of a human element?
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2020-07-28 at 02:22 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ettin in the Playground

Medusa V could also serve as inspiration.
    AdMech mine it for promethium and iridium. Tau have a secret research facility there.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

10. - Top - End - #700

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Do servo skulls count as AI? Or are they more 'remote control' than 'AI'? Does the fact that the robot brain is embedded in a human skull count as enough of a human element?
    The definition of AI is often fuzzy in 40k, but as a general rule of thumb the dividing line is the ability to make independent decisions and the ability to self-improve. Servo skulls and servitors are machines, but they can only do exactly what they're told to and aren't complex enough to improvise from context.

11. - Top - End - #701

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The definition of AI is often fuzzy in 40k, but as a general rule of thumb the dividing line is the ability to make independent decisions and the ability to self-improve. Servo skulls and servitors are machines, but they can only do exactly what they're told to and aren't complex enough to improvise from context.
    Yeah, I still have a hard time understanding the difference between AI and machine spirit.

Previously I thought that all AM technology was based around using human brains as processors and perhaps that was the difference. But I'm starting to learn that's not the case.

I'm starting to get the impression the only real heretical tech is tech the AM doesn't yet understand how to replicate. A situation that they plan on remedying one way or another.

12. - Top - End - #702

Griffon

There are several theories as to what the Machine Spirit really is:

1. The Imperium has true AI but doesn't know it. It's based on an old STC, no one knows how it works, they just push the buttons and a tank with "an enhanced cogitator" comes out the other end, and everything else is typical Imperial superstition.

2. The AdMech have true AI and they're hiding it from the Imperium. The fact that Bellisarius Cawl seems to have at least 3 AI brains suggests that this might be the case, as does the general secrecy and ritual smokescreen around the AdMech religion.

3. All Imperial technology is cybernetic human brains. This is the official story as presented by the AdMech - anything that resembles a thinking engines is either just an electronic abacus, or it has a human brain wired into it somewhere. Hence why they're referred to cogitators in-universe; Cogito is Old Terran for "I think" after all.

4. It's a by-product of thousands of years of old technology being cobbled together and plugged into human brains at their peak of emotional trauma. Happens a lot in Titans - they develop a "personality" which can be anything from feedback into the pilot's brain being perceived as impulsive actions, up to and including a gestalt consciousness forming from the 'ghosts' of human pilots being recorded by the machinery as a sort-of 'back-up'.

5. There is no Imperial technology, there is only the Void Dragon. While the Emperor and the AdMech thought it was locked up safe on Mars, it has been slowly influencing it's captors and getting tiny little pieces of itself installed onboard Imperial technology for 10 millenia. The Machine Spirit is the persona it has adopted to hide itself, until the moment when it chooses to reveal itself and turn the Imperium on it's head by disabling or usurping all of their technology.

Depending on your point of view, #5 may or may not be occurring with the knowledge of the AdMech - where their actual loyalties lie is somewhat tenuous.

And of course, 6. Any and all of the above is happening simultaneously and whichever one you're witnessing at any given time is pot luck.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-07-28 at 06:12 PM.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

And seven there actually is a divine entity calling itself « the Machine God » (who might even by the Emperor) and embuing Imperial tech with a semblance of a consciousness for some reason.

If the Tau allied races managed to create a « chaos god » of the Greater Good it stands to reason that the Mechanicus would have eventually achieved the same with their own beliefs.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #704

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    If the Tau allied races managed to create a « chaos god » of the Greater Good it stands to reason that the Mechanicus would have eventually achieved the same with their own beliefs.
    That's a pretty big "if" - the Tau Faction made a Chaos God? Is this a new part of 9th or was that just a metaphor?

Current best guessing suggests that The Greater Good isn't a God, it's a scam being run by the Aeldari; Ethereals are probably genetically altered/brain-washed pawns sent by the Aeldari to uplift and control the Tau in order to turn their civilisation into a warp-resistant weapon.

There's a very slight chance that the C'Tan might also be involved, as Commandere Farsight's sword is Necrontyr in origin and is what inspired the break-away. The Tau/Farsight Enclave civil war is more like an attempt by the Necrons to steal or sabotage the Aeldari weapon out from under them.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

That's a pretty big "if" - the Tau Faction made a Chaos God? Is this a new part of 9th or was that just a metaphor?
    All I know is this:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg6smTGyVuw

The Greater Good is an ideology a mash of collectivism and
    utilitarism but because the Warp is a reflection of what mortals feel and believe it spawned an incarnation of it, regardless of its (Eldar or otherwise) origins.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-07-29 at 06:04 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #706
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    All I know is this:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg6smTGyVuw

The Greater Good is an ideology a mash of collectivism and
    utilitarism but because the Warp is a reflection of what mortals feel and believe it spawned an incarnation of it, regardless of its (Eldar or otherwise) origins.
    Pretty sure that hasn't happened. Not that it couldn't happen, but spawning a God isn't easy and requires a lot of belief from psychic individuals. Tau, being almost without presence in the Warp, would find it almost impossible to spawn a God. Also their numbers are way way too low. The Tau are too small to impact the Warp in that way, even if they were a psychically powerful as Eldar.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

17. - Top - End - #707

Griffon

Aha, okay. The video is more about the metaphysics of how Chaos Gods are made and whether or not the Tau *could* do it with enough time and effort, not that they have already done so.

Sounds broadly about right, though being one of the smallest factions with the smallest of territories means it would take a LONG amount of time. It took the mostly-psychic Aeldari between the end of the Twilight War (65 million BC) and M30 to bring abut Slaanesh, and Humanity are big enough to have a significant chunk of the galaxy under their control and have been worshipping the Emperor for 10,000 years but He still hasn't managed apotheosis yet, after all.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-07-29 at 07:49 AM.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Titan in the Playground

Did you miss the part at 2:34 where he quotes a book that plainly states, as I have said that the Tau allied races (not the tau themselves) have spawned a god of the greater good?

Seeing as there are AM personnel pretty much everywhere in the Imperium (and have been for ten millenia) and that the common citizenry also believed in machine spirits, I think there has been plenty of time, faith and followers for a Warp-born Machine God to spawn if there wasn’t one beforehand.
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #709

Griffon

I feel that the narrator is taking the novel at face value and has disregarded other sources without really critiquing the context.
    The book says that the Tau fleet was saved from the warp by a colossal warp-born entity which appeared to be halfway between perfect Human and Tau forms, which was multi-armed and hungry to expand its influence across the entire galaxy. (Starts at 3:30) The Tau captain thinks it might be an amalgamated Tau God, but... Is it confirmed anywhere else as anything other than his opinion?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that you're wrong and that it definitely isn't a Tau/Chaos God. What I am saying is that would be going against the other examples given above - Slaanesh, the Emperor, etc - and frankly it sounds exactly like what happened to Magnus when he reached out to tell the Emperor about the Istvaan massacre.

At one point he got lost and started to flounder, and then a similarly "benevolent" warp-denizen offered him power and knowledge to complete the journey. This, of course, turned out to be Tzeentch in disguise, not that he would know it until years later.

It's also based on a Tau's perception of the events unfolding, and the Tau have an extremely limited knowledge of the warp, relying on their auxillaries to deal with it. Would Twice-Blade know the difference between a God of the Greater Good and a greater daemon disguised as a God of the Greater Good? Doubtful, and the same thing has happened before.

For a tiny fraction of what is already the smallest Faction to make their own God in a few hundred years is remote, but not at all impossible. It just doesn't fit very well with other examples of when it has happened, and there are other possibilities to consider that are more likely, y'know?
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-07-29 at 09:13 AM.

20. - Top - End - #710

Beholder

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions about AM vs Tau plot hooks.

5. There is no Imperial technology, there is only the Void Dragon. While the Emperor and the AdMech thought it was locked up safe on Mars, it has been slowly influencing it's captors and getting tiny little pieces of itself installed onboard Imperial technology for 10 millenia. The Machine Spirit is the persona it has adopted to hide itself, until the moment when it chooses to reveal itself and turn the Imperium on it's head by disabling or usurping all of their technology.
    You know, I've already started wondering if the AM have more in common with the Necron then they care to admit. This certainly adds more evidence in that direction.

It took the mostly-psychic Aeldari between the end of the Twilight War (65 million BC) and M30 to bring abut Slaanesh...
    Interesting. I always imagined that the creation of Slaanesh and the fall of the Aeldari happened so long ago dinosaurs still roamed Terra. But now it seems as thought the Aeldari still had a galaxy spanning empire even as the Emperor was launching his crusades.
    Last edited by xroads; 2020-07-29 at 09:25 AM.

21. - Top - End - #711

NecromancerGuy

Interesting. I always imagined that the creation of Slaanesh and the fall of the Aeldari happened so long ago dinosaurs still roamed Terra. But now it seems as thought the Aeldari still had a galaxy spanning empire even as the Emperor was launching his crusades.
    Nope! Happened around M30 I believe, just prior to the start of the Great Crusade iirc. If it had happened in the time of the dinosaurs, we’d be able to see the Eye of Terror today
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

22. - Top - End - #712

My personal understanding of the Machine Spirit was simply that it is superstition, like so much else the AdMech does. What they refer to as 'machine spirits' are just what we'd think of today as functional but non-sapient computers for things that would actually contain computers, or simply outright imaginary. It's not a coincidence that applying the Holy Lubricant Oil and chanting the Nine Sacred Phrases of Activation while performing the Rite of Percussive Maintenance sounds suspiciously like what a perfectly normal mechanic would do with a vehicle being repaired.

Sometimes those Machine Spirits are very, very capable, like the Land Raider on Rynn's World that fought a solo war against the invading Orks after its crew was killed. But that's not sentience any more than you'd call a self-driving Google Car sentient.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    My personal understanding of the Machine Spirit was simply that it is superstition, like so much else the AdMech does. What they refer to as 'machine spirits' are just what we'd think of today as functional but non-sapient computers for things that would actually contain computers, or simply outright imaginary. It's not a coincidence that applying the Holy Lubricant Oil and chanting the Nine Sacred Phrases of Activation while performing the Rite of Percussive Maintenance sounds suspiciously like what a perfectly normal mechanic would do with a vehicle being repaired.

Sometimes those Machine Spirits are very, very capable, like the Land Raider on Rynn's World that fought a solo war against the invading Orks after its crew was killed. But that's not sentience any more than you'd call a self-driving Google Car sentient.
    Then there are Knights and Titans who do seem to be going all phoenix-lord gestalt-consciousness.

So basically is a bit of all options, though which one is more common is probably a crapshoot.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Troll in the Playground

It's been pushed more and more forwards over the years. The 4th Ed book in particular, I remember, had "What do Humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea."

So, yeah, it was suggested for a long time that the Eldar fell long before humanity rose. But... then things shifted about, were consolidated, and the timeline was more established - firmly cementing Slaanesh as the reason the Emperor's Crusade was able to reach out - and that ancient, ancient sadness was discarded.

Which I personally don't particularly like. Because the Eldar that was described at their height... it really doesn't feel like it fits in with an at-their-height mankind, even in the Eldar's decline. Feels dissonant to have the two facets of "ancient race" and "post-Fall civilization is basically just as old as the modern imperium," personally.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Fall has always been around 30k, but the Eldar have been around for a very long time. Their songs of lament were about "normal" problems, like a galaxy-spanning war against soulless robots.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Borgh View Post
    The Fall has always been around 30k, but the Eldar have been around for a very long time. Their songs of lament were about "normal" problems, like a galaxy-spanning war against soulless robots.
    Yeah, I always thought Eldar golden age was before the war with the necrontyr and the dissapearing of the old ones. The 'glory' of the eldar empire leading to slaanesh was just hubris and hedonism, not an actual flourishing.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Borgh View Post
    I don't know about 'always', but it's been at M30 since at least the beginning of 2nd Edition. Someone more familiar with Rogue Trader can confirm if it started at the same time when they first introduced the Fall of the Eldar.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ogre in the Playground

Due to reading internet arguments related to 40k I came up with a crazy direction they could take the story.

More Primarchs come back which sparks a civil war in the Imperium. Roboute ends up as leader of the statud quo side which he is not happy with. Other Primarchs seek to reform the Imperium much more aggressively. Ultramarines might join the rebel faction over staying with Roboute. During all this a black crusade is launched on terra which is the most successful since the Heresy. This draws in the various factions and as they are forced into a truce. Things look grim for the Imperium until something completely unexpected happens. The Alpha Legion and the Thousand Sons turn against the rest of Chaos to launch a scheme to kill the emperor and transform him into the fifth Chaos god. One of the loyalist Primarchs would help them because drama. The plan thinking more would task the subverted primarch with opening the webway gate in the Golden Throne.

A few other details.
    Alpharius and Omegaman have been planning this for ablong time. Magnus the Red only got involved recently and is doing it because he has convinced himself that it will bring him redemption.
    Eldar have been meddeling of course. Their overall goal is to keep the Imperium from falling to the Black Crusade and stopping the Emperors Ascension.
    Tyrannid hive fleet Unicron target Holy Terra.
    Necrons wake up on Mars.
    Orks are drowning their sorrows in blood because nobody invited them to the prom.
    And an unlucky Tau survey ship that got swept up in the wake of the Black Crusade have no idea what the deal is and just want everyone to sit down and work out their differences for the Greater Good.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

29. - Top - End - #719

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    More Primarchs come back which sparks a civil war in the Imperium. Roboute ends up as leader of the statud quo side which he is not happy with. Other Primarchs seek to reform the Imperium much more aggressively. Ultramarines might join the rebel faction over staying with Roboute. During all this a black crusade is launched on terra which is the most successful since the Heresy. This draws in the various factions and as they are forced into a truce. Things look grim for the Imperium until something completely unexpected happens. The Alpha Legion and the Thousand Sons turn against the rest of Chaos to launch a scheme to kill the emperor and transform him into the fifth Chaos god. One of the loyalist Primarchs would help them because drama. The plan thinking more would task the subverted primarch with opening the webway gate in the Golden Throne.
    I think that a lot of people have expected this to happen ever since Cadia exploded and Guilliman returned, although usually the theory goes that the battle lines would be with First-Born Marines on one side and Primaris Marines on the other. The idea being that Bellisarius Cawl is either compromised (he has AI brains after all) or otherwise just not as good as he thought he was when it came to rebuilding the Emperor's designs.

There's been conjecture about which other Primarch would turn up, though since the series of Codicies has Dark Angels, Blood Angels and Space Wolves as titles then the smart money said it was going to be either Leman Russ or Lion El'Johnson - both of whom have good, long-established reasons to try and prevent Guilliman from building Imperium Tertius in his own image. Despite that, GW have declined to push that particular envelope and it appears that this plot is stalled, if not completely dead even despite the COVID-19 setbacks.

The only potential problem with your theory that I can think of, is that canonically the Eternity Gate project is utterly dead and buried. It's supposed to be the great tragedy that has doomed the human race, a flashpoint that can't ever be rolled back. I know that story is only so many words on a page and that any writer could undo it if they wanted to, but I don't think that GW have yet reached the point where that's what they want the story to be.

Similarly, Alpharius isn't just dead but he's dead-dead; obliterated at the hand of Rogal Dorn. Now I agree that it would be an AMAZING story if it turned out to be yet another con and, despite what we've been told for years, Alpharius survived and has even tricked his twin Omegon into believing it so that he could continue to work the pro-Imperium scheme from the sidelines, again I think that's one of the sort of long-standing 40k tragedies that GW isn't inclined to pull the trigger upon. The Alpha Legion in general were on a knife-edge between "Fighting The Imperium Because Darwin Said It Would Make Them Strong Enough To Survive" and "Actually Wanting To Kill The Emperor Because Evil", and they're supposed to have definitively fallen to the latter.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    Due to reading internet arguments related to 40k I came up with a crazy direction they could take the story.
    A'ight...

More Primarchs come back which sparks a civil war in the Imperium.
    It would do the opposite in 41K. Chaos is real. Turns out it's not just a story Dad made up to keep his kids in line. Turns out Horus and the others were actually corrupted, not just having poop in their pants.
    That being said, the whole Imperium vs. Chaos story is a massive civil war to begin with, you don't need to insert another one. It's already there.

Roboute ends up as leader of the statud quo side which he is not happy with.
    Someone doesn't know Roboute Guilliman, and especially not his current form.

Other Primarchs seek to reform the Imperium much more aggressively.
    Lion sees division is tearing the Imperium apart, and attempts to reconcile with his brothers, and actually sits down with Cypher and has a conversation where all cards are laid on the table. Lion, now with all available information, like a real commander, takes this to Guilliman, and they shake hands, and things are Forgiven. 30K was ten thousand years ago. Haven't we learned anything? Why are we still fighting? This doesn't make sense.

Jaghatai doesn't change. The Emperor comes first. Always.

Leman Russ knows that Chaos is Real. Dad was right all along. Someone needs to go punch Abaddon's teeth in. Unfortunately, Russ needs help, and Lion seems pretty cool now.

Rogal Dorn comes back, with Chainswords-for-Hands. Broken, at the hands of the Night Lords, he is a shell of his former self. In his prime, Dorn would've punched Guilliman in the face, thrown down in the Emperor's Throne Room, and demanded that Guilliman yield, and reunite the Legions...That Dorn died...A long time ago. He is also further broken to learn, that his true Sons, all died during The War of the Beast, and what's left, isn't what he remembered. He has forgotten his duty, and is now in the throes of frenzied righteousness. Sigismund was right. Chaos is Real.

Dante finally succumbs to the Black Rage, except instead of freaking out and going insane, he becomes Sanguinius, in all but physical form. At the very least, he's able to get Lion and Guilliman in the same room together, which starts off the whole thing.

Remember when Horus gave the Iron Hands back Ferrus Manus' head? ...Well, he's back! In Dreadnought form! He is literally a very, very, very glorified brain-in-a-jar.

Guilliman loathes the modern Imperium, and with the help of his Brothers walking the Galaxy again, he can finally get rid of that God-awful Imperial Creed, and replace it with the Imperial Truth. How did the Imperium even forget that? ...Oh right, "Lorgar...You magnificent bastard, I read your BOOK!"

Vulkan has actually been back the entire time. Unfortunately, he doesn't actually like his Sons, and he's barely interested in interacting with anyone. Ten thousand years of more-or-less solitude has broken his brain, and he's no longer the Primarch that encourages friendliness and openness. Being sullen with poop in his pants. He knows that even if all his Brothers die, Vulkan will still remain. Nothing has changed. Everything is awful. ...Why is he even alive? Why are we here, just to suffer?

Corax comes back, and only makes friends with Vulkan, and even then...Barely. He strongly encourages doing 'whatever it takes to win', and his brothers are concerned about what the difference is between Corax and any of the Traitor Primarchs.

Ultramarines might join the rebel faction over staying with Roboute.
    Absolutely not.

The Alpha Legion and the Thousand Sons turn against the rest of Chaos to launch a scheme to kill the emperor and transform him into the fifth Chaos god.
    Eh? Killing the Emperor goes against what Chaos wants?

The plan thinking more would task the subverted primarch with opening the webway gate in the Golden Throne.
    Custodes are already there.
    Ahriman has walked the Webway more than once. You don't need a subverted Primarch. The reason you need a subverted Primarch at all, is to ram home how big of a threat the temptation of Chaos really is.
    If you want the Gate opened, you don't need more Traitor Primarchs to do that. There's already plenty of other ways the Gate can be opened.

All's you really need is Cawl (and Fabius Bile) to Do The Thing with with the Primaris Marines, and half the battle is already won. Turncoat Primarch or not. The Architect himself, is the Traitor, and that's all you need.

Eldar have been meddeling of course. Their overall goal is to keep the Imperium from falling to the Black Crusade and stopping the Emperors Ascension.
    Again, you appear to have it backwards. Given how strong Chaos is, they need the Emperor walking again.

Necrons wake up on Mars.
    And do what? Reactivate their greatest experiment in the fight against The Warp; The Emperor.

Orks are drowning their sorrows in blood because nobody invited them to the prom.
    "Orks are fighting because Orks like fighting and so that's why the Orks are fighting."
    Good job, GW.

And an unlucky Tau survey ship that got swept up in the wake of the Black Crusade have no idea what the deal is and just want everyone to sit down and work out their differences for the Greater Good.
    Guilliman has had enough of the T'au's bull****, and he's here to finish what Calgar started but couldn't follow through on; **** off, join us under our command, or die. The Greater Good gets subsumed by the Imperial Truth one way or the other. We can't 'just be friends', 'cause in case T'au don't know; Chaos is Real.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2020-07-30 at 03:37 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome