New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XVI: Where the Ordnance is Hand-Delivered!

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    But how? Dorn himself had to cull his Legion to prevent another civil war, what exactly would you do?
    It's tough, but I can see some possible paths.

1) Be present during their conversation. Argue that there are Legion level threats that require Legions to fight off, and that breaking up the Legions will increase casualties. Provide proof in the eventual existence of Tyranids, and reveal a Necron a tomb world as another future threat.

2) Rally the survivors on Terra and unilaterally declare Dorn as the heir to the Emperor and thus in charge of the Imperium. If Guilliman tries to argue against that point out that either we have the ability to lead ourselves or we don't. If humans choose Dorn to lead, then either he's claiming the right to rule for himself, or giving us the freedom to choose our own leader. A half-way measure of 'no, you can't choose a Primarch to lead you, you have to lead yourselves,' is illogical. Either we can choose or we can't, there is no middle ground there.

Either way, doing so would be much easier if I was a survivor of the Horus Heresy and not someone who literally appeared out of thin air. Hmm, perhaps I would choose to exist several years before the events of Mechanicum. Join Adept Zeth and climb the ranks, and evacuate before Magma City is besieged with all of her knowledge. Use my status as a survivor, and possibly the only person who holds all of Zeth's inventions, of a loyal Mechanicum Magos to gather influence to ensure I have a voice to either convince the surviving High Lords to choose Dorn to replace the Emperor, or to simply have a voice when Guilliman tries to break up the Legions.

I feel like that is actually possible to do, though admittedly, surviving the Siege of Terra is going to be risky, even if I would be considered a VIP. And simply getting to that VIP status would actually be pretty tough. I mean, I'm smart and well versed in scientific principles, but rapidly rising in the ranks of the Mechanicum still would be difficult. And then I'd actually have to manage to preemptively evacuate in time to not die when Magma City collapses.

And of course it could all be for naught if Guilliman just ignores my efforts regardless. And wouldn't that just be the most 40K thing ever? You can 'see' the future, climb the ranks to get in position to prevent it, survive multiple warzones on a level that is beyond imagination, prevent any psyker from ripping your mind apart for its secrets, only to have it not matter at all because one man thinks he knows better than you.

If that happened, I'd have to go the route of Cawl and try to become an immortal cyborg-AI, just so I could wait for Guilliman to be resurrected for the most satisfying and epic 'I told you so' of all time.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XVI: Where the Ordnance is Hand-Delivered!

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    And of course it could all be for naught if Guilliman just ignores my efforts regardless. And wouldn't that just be the most 40K thing ever? You can 'see' the future, climb the ranks to get in position to prevent it, survive multiple warzones on a level that is beyond imagination, prevent any psyker from ripping your mind apart for its secrets, only to have it not matter at all because one man thinks he knows better than you.

If that happened, I'd have to go the route of Cawl and try to become an immortal cyborg-AI, just so I could wait for Guilliman to be resurrected for the most satisfying and epic 'I told you so' of all time.
    ...I'd read that novel.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, with all the foreknowledge you could fake being psychic, any mind-reading would show you do have a ton of info stuck in your skull. But then again, it didnt go well for the poor guy in Outcast Dead.

I wouldnt actually try to prevent the Heresy though; I'd focus on preventing Isstvan V. Its not like the Emperor could've done anything about it after Davin anyways, and even if so Lorgar was far gone at the time, and Angron was dying slowly anyways. However, if you could prevent 3 legions from getting blasted for nothing, considering how close everything was at the end, I'd say Horus would be screwed. Either that or get word to Guilliman about the attack on the muster on Calth.
    Problem: You're stuck on Terra. How would you go about contacting Guilliman or Ferrus Manus?
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think the mechanics route is likely one of the best. If you can safeguard technology fabrication through the heresy, honestly the heresy itself is pretty inconsequential, it's the loss of all of the understanding of technology that is far worse. Another 10k years of development would be huge. Even with daemons, if traitor legion tech was 10000 years behind schedule they're be a lot less terrifying.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Tell a young Alpharius and Omegon bedtime stories about how strange aliens distributing prophecy is no basis for a system of government. Tell them that any plan resulting in the genocide of your own species is a bad plan.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Who watches the watchmen?

Queso ipso custodes! - Cheese it, the cops!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Problem: You're stuck on Terra. How would you go about contacting Guilliman or Ferrus Manus?
    The orders for the muster and the assault on Isstvan both came from Terra though.

I think the mechanics route is likely one of the best. If you can safeguard technology fabrication through the heresy, honestly the heresy itself is pretty inconsequential, it's the loss of all of the understanding of technology that is far worse. Another 10k years of development would be huge. Even with daemons, if traitor legion tech was 10000 years behind schedule they're be a lot less terrifying.
    But the loss of technology came from Horus winning the fight for Mars. Of course, thats also because the IF gave it up way easier than they probably should; had they gone all-in at Phall and avoided all those losses, maybe they could've kept the freaking second most important world in the entire Imperium away from heretic hands
    Last edited by LansXero; 2019-11-05 at 07:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

The orders for the muster and the assault on Isstvan both came from Terra though.

But the loss of technology came from Horus winning the fight for Mars. Of course, thats also because the IF gave it up way easier than they probably should; had they gone all-in at Phall and avoided all those losses, maybe they could've kept the freaking second most important world in the entire Imperium away from heretic hands
    There was also the part where Zeth could have killed 90% of the ringleaders of the Dark Mechanicum and let them go instead.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    There was also the part where Zeth could have killed 90% of the ringleaders of the Dark Mechanicum and let them go instead.
    Spoiler: Are these really necessary?
    Show
    Yeah but the Mechanicum have allegiances of their own; the Fists all thing is how they fortify and never yield, except when its time to loot armor suits and run apparently. Who needs Titans when you can just sit in the Imperial Palace for a few more years?

Instead of wasting his Legion in his absurd 1 vs 1 duel with Horus (and then fail to kill him at the last moment) Russ also should've tried and gone to Mars instead.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I kinda agree with this. Humanity under the Emperor was a all consuming swarm that went out to eradicate all alien life. I don't exactly want it to win. Mind you, I don't want it to lose either. Chaos is just as bad if not worse.

So I'd want the Heresy to happen to shatter the Imperium, but be in a point to intervene so that it is in a better place afterwards. That's why I suggested preventing Guilliman from breaking the Legions up.
    I do not think humanity could get rid of all the alien races knowing how ridiculously numerous and dangerous some of them are.
    Also due to the rule of maximum factions they would probably still stall against tau and so on even with the advantage of somehow solving heresy and having all the primarches and the emperor and losing no tech.
    Last edited by noob; 2019-11-06 at 12:41 AM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    I do not think humanity could get rid of all the alien races knowing how ridiculously numerous and dangerous some of them are.
    Also due to the rule of maximum factions they would probably still stall against tau and so on even with the advantage of somehow solving heresy and having all the primarches and the emperor and losing no tech.
    They did exterminate countless alien races. Some far more dangerous than the Tau were. For that matter, the current Imperium could exterminate the Tau if their empire wasn't literally being torn in half by warp storms and daemotic incursions.

Anyways, to give you an idea of how crazily effective the Emperor was at killing aliens, he and the Legions conquered over a million worlds in a couple of centuries. Admittedly, there were plenty of human planets conquered, and he didn't always use force, but still. If everything had gone according to plan, he'd have taken the Webway from the Eldar, thus setting them up for an easy extermination, stifled chaos from getting worship, and marginalized the Orks. Basically the Milky Way would be pretty much entirely under human control.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

There were also a few xenos protectorates under the Emperor, if they were willing to bend the knee to humanity, weren't on planets with anything useful, or the planets couldn't support human life, iirc. They got purged post heresy, as I understand it.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    There were also a few xenos protectorates under the Emperor, if they were willing to bend the knee to humanity...
    That's all Humanity ever asked them to do.
    Most of them, wouldn't.

Ironically, T'au have exactly the same rule; Everyone is equal, except the Pigs T'au.
    But T'au are good guys, trust them, they said so.

They got purged post heresy, as I understand it.
    The instant The Emperor was no longer in the picture, a lot of alien races decided that Humanity was dead. The remaining Primarchs were forced to correct them.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-11-06 at 01:59 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

13. - Top - End - #163

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    The premise of "you are on Terra, naked and alone" pretty much kills off any plan that we might have. In the context of the setting, what that really means is that you probably die within 30 minutes from extreme violence, if not immediately contracting some horrific M30 super-plague that used to be the common cold which we in M3 don't have the antibodies to deal with.

I think we're now working on the revised premise of "if you could land anywhere AND survive long enough to put a plan into action, what would that plan be?" in which case, I stick with going to Prospero.

Alternatively, I might go to Fenris. It might be possible to explain to Leman Russ that Horus is the one who is going to deceive him; Russ has executed at least one of his brothers, has a bitter grudge against the Lion, and tried to demonstrate the same thing on Angron, if anyone can be convinced that another Primarch has turned bad and take that suggestion seriously, it would be Russ.
    If we can stop Russ from killing/exiling Magnus and the Thousand Sons, save the Space Wolves from immense casualties at Prospero, and try to prevent/change the outcome of his suicide-run at Horus, Team Loyalist would be in a far better position.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

They probably wouldn't, as the Tau only became a significant spacefaring empire in the later half of the 30s. A post-heresy human expedition actually found their homeworld while their tech still consisted of spears and bows, and had the place slated for a quick purge to allow for human settlement. The only reason that didn't happen was that the planet then got isolated by a warp storm for a good long while, and got forgotten by the imperium. Without the heresy, or with a very much toned down heresy, the Tau would probably have not made it to the iron age before an imperial expedition annexed their world.

If the Tau survived to become a spacefaring species, however, and if the emperor was still around and the imperium never entered a dark age, I reckon they'd probably have allied, or at least the Tau would have become an imperial vassal. Tau seem to be mostly immune to the warp, so the emperor would have probably seen value in them as an mostly incorruptible fighting force.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2019-11-06 at 05:36 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    They probably wouldn't, as the Tau only became a significant spacefaring empire in the later half of the 30s. A post-heresy human expedition actually found their homeworld while their tech still consisted of spears and bows, and had the place slated for a quick purge to allow for human settlement. The only reason that didn't happen was that the planet then got isolated by a warp storm for a good long while, and got forgotten by the imperium. Without the heresy, or with a very much toned down heresy, the Tau would probably have not made it to the iron age before an imperial expedition annexed their world.

If the Tau survived to become a spacefaring species, however, and if the emperor was still around and the imperium never entered a dark age, I reckon they'd probably have allied, or at least the Tau would have become an imperial vassal. Tau seem to be mostly immune to the warp, so the emperor would have probably seen value in them as an mostly incorruptible fighting force.
    I was speaking to the narrative rule: if a faction exists in warhammer and that it have models then the creator of warhammer are not going to declare it was entirely destroyed officially even if they stop making models of it because they think that maybe one day they will want to make models of that faction again somehow.
    Last edited by noob; 2019-11-06 at 06:06 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

I was speaking to the narrative rule: if a faction exists in warhammer and that it have models then the creator of warhammer are not going to declare it was entirely destroyed officially even if they stop making models of it because they think that maybe one day they will want to make models of that faction again somehow.
    Squats would, until recently, beg to differ.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Squats would, until recently, beg to differ.
    I did not knew they officially declared that squats were destroyed.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I think we're now working on the revised premise of "if you could land anywhere AND survive long enough to put a plan into action, what would that plan be?" in which case, I stick with going to Prospero.

Alternatively, I might go to Fenris. It might be possible to explain to Leman Russ that Horus is the one who is going to deceive him; Russ has executed at least one of his brothers, has a bitter grudge against the Lion, and tried to demonstrate the same thing on Angron, if anyone can be convinced that another Primarch has turned bad and take that suggestion seriously, it would be Russ.
    If we can stop Russ from killing/exiling Magnus and the Thousand Sons, save the Space Wolves from immense casualties at Prospero, and try to prevent/change the outcome of his suicide-run at Horus, Team Loyalist would be in a far better position.
    Hmm. Getting Russ onside isn't a bad plan, but it's late to save the human webway...

Alpharius/Omegon seems promising, but who knows. Maybe that's what caused them to split up in the first place; one believed a time traveller from the future/past, the other believed a bunch of aliens.

Hm... What about the other Primarches…

Angron; Just no. You'd need to be in a really weird position well before the Heresy to help. Otherwise you get to test the torsion limit of the human spine. Again.
    Corax; Uh. Not much here. Warn him about the upcoming Drop Site Of Doom, or about Alpha Legionnaires if you're slightly late to the party.
    Curze; He's pretty broken inside, and outside of a human's reach to do anything about.
    Dorn; … Once again a guy that nothing pivots around at the beginning of this mess.
    El'Jonson; If we could get him to be the Warmaster somehow, maybe...?
    Ferrus Manus; Moving right along...
    Fulgrim; Hey, hey, Fulgrim. That sword is evil and you should really know better than to listen to cutlery.
    Guilliman; GET INVOLVED, BLUEBERRY. Also, P.S., Lorgar took Monarchia really personally. Like, extremely.
    Horus; Listen, stay calm, and don't get stabbed. Also, Erebus and Kor Phaeron, they're... Xeno worshippers. Yes. ...Xenos...
    Jaghitai Khan; You do you, speed demon.
    Leman Russ; I know this sounds crazy, but Horus is going to be the main traitor. Though, if you move quick all you have to do is punch Lorgar really hard.
    Lorgar; Hi. Please don't believe in mad gods from beyond the universe. It doesn't work well and theologically you could do a lot better than calling them divine.
    Magnus; Don't use sorcerery to call the Emperor directly. I mean it. Just... Pick a High Lord or something. Do anything else. Also, warn your brothers, maybe?
    Mortarion; Bad news. Humanity is going to be psychic. I mean, you've already got a lot of psykers around. The thing in the basement is for Magnus, you'll find out about it soon.
    Perturabo; I want to say congratulations! You've been given a lot of **** jobs, and I really want you to know that people do notice. It's just the whole glory thing. A bit longer and I bet one of these models will be reality instead! It'll be really cool. Just don't freak out out of bitterness and try to kill everyone.
    Sanguinius; I've got nothing. Keep rockin', and don't take any suspicious offers.
    Vulkan; The Drop Site is a trap. Also, small secret, you can't actually die. At all. Remember not to be in a situation where you can get trapped.

If you just want to save the day (how genre-inappropriate of you), Malcador might be an option, since he seems to be busy with historians, writers, PR, assassination teams and whatnot. Malcador might not leave you alive after, but hey. Day saved.

19. - Top - End - #169

Griffon

I did not knew they officially declared that squats were destroyed.
    It's gone back and forth a bit between "they never existed", to "they became the Demiurg who are a minor vassal of the Tau", to "all of their worlds were eaten by one of the Hive Fleets" - it really depends on which writer you're reading. The latter is generally the accepted 'true' story, which is why there is only 1 squat left in the galaxy and he lives on Necromunda.

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Esquire
    Hm... What about the other Primarches…

Angron;
    Angron is in the same boat as Lorgar and Curze; by M30, it's already too late for any of them. Ideally you'd need to go back to M29.800 or so and save them before the problem took root - either by killing Erebus and Kor Phaeron, preventing the implantation of the Nails, or just rescuing Curze from a feral upbringing before the rot set in and he worked out his 'manifesto'.

El'Jonson
    Leman Russ talked a big game and made big showy displays of going after Horus only to get his butt kicked; the Lion is the one who actually put a sword through the Night Haunter, who previously had outfought Corax AND Rogal Dorn. Getting the Lion involved sooner, and getting him somewhere useful instead of sitting in the dark near Ultramar chasing Night Lords, would have been immeasurably valuable.

Jaghatai Khan
    Same as above; the Khan spent a lot of time apparently on the fence, investigating what happened at Prospero and generally not making his allegiance known. The sooner that gets resolved, the sooner he gets into the war proper and gets more proactive.

Sanguinius
    Have him confide in someone who isn't Horus of Guilliman - Both knew of his concerns and played on them for their own benefit. Have Sanguinius instead go make friends with Lorgar, who really needed a friend who wasn't evil, and the galaxy would have been a far better place.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Esquire View Post
    Dorn; … Once again a guy that nothing pivots around at the beginning of this mess.
    Sure it does. Horus was The Emperor's third choice for Warmaster, after Sanguinius and Dorn.

Convince Dorn to stop humping his Dad's leg, and tell him to pick up the mantle of Warmaster.
    Tell Sangunius that yes, he's a Mutant. But literally nobody holds that against him. His Brothers do not hate him, in fact, they universally adore him - except Angron, but he's wrong.

El'Jonson; If we could get him to be the Warmaster somehow, maybe...?
    ...Half his brothers would hate him. The other half would call him incompetent to his face. And he, himself, would call the guy in the mirror, incompetent.

Mortarion; Bad news. Humanity is going to be psychic. I mean, you've already got a lot of psykers around. The thing in the basement is for Magnus, you'll find out about it soon.
    Step 1 to solving all Mortarion's problems; Kill Horus.

...In fact, that. Convince Mortarion is just as terrible as literally everyone else he's ever dealt with. Tell Mortarion to follow through, and gank Horus. The Imperium is crumbling as we speak. Horus barely ties Chaos toether, and if you can get rid of him, it all comes tumbling down. "...No more Warlords." Humanity collapses into a second Age of Darkness, and everything non-Human in the Galaxy, prospers.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Wasnt the whole point of the Emperor stabbing Ra with future!Abaddon's sword that he will never be able to escape from the demon of the first murder, and as such humanity will eventually be destroyed by the warp echo of our own violent nature? I felt that was pretty insightful, all things considered.
    At the risk of spoilers, who's Ra? I mean, I know Daniel Jackson and Col. Jack O'Neil killed Ra, but that was in a totally different continuity. And Future!Abbadon? Which makes me wonder why they used a different actor for Dr. Catherine Langford between the Pilot and the Season 2 episode. I mean, they needed a new actor for the pilot, as Viveca Lindfors died shortly after the movie was released. But why the switch between the pilot and the 2nd Season?

Time Travel: it's a cornucopia of disturbing concepts.
    (Bonus points if you know where that quote is from)
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2019-11-06 at 01:00 PM. Reason: One "l" in O'Neil in the movie, two "l"s in SG-1's O'Neill
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

22. - Top - End - #172
    Banned

Spoiler: SPOOKY
    Show
    Ra Endymion is a Custodes, who are all very dear to the Emperor unlike Primarchs who are more like talking lab rats. The Emperor actually refers to himself as Gepetto and the Primarchs as Pinoccios in Master of Mankind.

Anyways, when Cain kills Abel that very first murder echoes in the warp and is born as a demon. That demon rushes through warpspace and warptime to assault the Impossible City (a place in the human-built webway) and nobody can stop him. The Emperor leaves the Golden Throne for a few minutes (starting the Unspoken Sanction, that is, the tribute of psykers to burn out fueling the Golden Throne) and roflstomps the whole lot of daemons and traitor Astartes that were assaulting the gate underneath Terra. But he cant deal with the demon of the first murder, whose name is The End of Empires, or Drach'nyen in heretic. So he traps the daemon in a sword, and stabs that sword into his friend Ra, then banishes him to wander the ruins of the human webway to keep the daemon at bay, and seals the gate under Terra behind him. That moment right there is when humanity lost; all 10000 years of strife dont matter because without the human webway humanity will never be free of warp dependance, and without the Emperor nobody can keep the endless legions of daemons away or rebuild enough to bridge the gaps. So humanity will never reach its psychic potential, and the Imperium will die.

That daemon-sword, the echo of humanity's backstabbing selfdestructive self? It will somehow reach Sigismund, the best Space Marine swordsman ever. He will guard it for years until he duels Abaddon, and loses because he is old and Abaddon has been warp-powered. Even Abaddon admits he could've never taken Sigismund at his prime, warp gifts or not. And well, the guy who just broke the galaxy in half wields the End of the Imperium, and a daemon even the emperor couldnt stop. Fun stuff.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Colossus in the Playground

Actually, that's not how Abaddon got the sword as far as I know.

Spoiler
    Show
    The sword was found in a labyrinth beneath the Tower of Silence, on the planet Uralan. And Abaddon did not have to fight Sigismund to get it.

He may have fought Sigismund during that crusade - but Sigismund was not in possession of the sword.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Is this even the right place to ask? I'll try it.

This video

Can *anybody* name me a song that starts at 4:30? You know, the whole [spoiler alert, maybe]ramming a Blackstone fortress thing[/spoiler alert, maybe]. It's a really awesome one but I can't for the life of me find it.

Which probably says more about my searching skills than about the difficulty of the search, but hey, I'm cool with admitting to my shortcomings.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

25. - Top - End - #175

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Actually, that's not how Abaddon got the sword as far as I know.

Spoiler
    Show
    The sword was found in a labyrinth beneath the Tower of Silence, on the planet Uralan. And Abaddon did not have to fight Sigismund to get it.

He may have fought Sigismund during that crusade - but Sigismund was not in possession of the sword.
    Confirmed. This is the plot of "Black Legion" by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

Spoiler
    Show
    The entire reason that the 1st Black Crusade forces the Legion to leave the Eye of Terror is because Abaddon can hear the sword calling to him through the warp, and it's practically driving him mad.
    The book ends when Abaddon fights and kills Sigismund - who has been waiting at the Cadian Gate for about 1,000 years just for the opportunity to kill Abaddon - and the remnants of the Black Legion fleet start to sail realspace for the first time since the Heresy as they go searching for Drachn'yan. Unless you're incredibly familiar with the lore, you can finish the book and not know what Drachn'yan is apart from it being a magic sword that Khayon hates; just that Abaddon knows its name and that he needs to find it - he doesn't even know about the labyrinth, at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai
    Can *anybody* name me a song that starts at 4:30? You know, the whole [spoiler alert, maybe]ramming a Blackstone fortress thing[/spoiler alert, maybe]. It's a really awesome one but I can't for the life of me find it.
    Some combination of "BFGA II Combat Theme (1-4) Variant (1-4)". Steam workshop has the BFG soundtrack listed, unfortunately it's not very imaginatively titled beyond basic stubs. You may have to be prepared to search them out individually and compare by ear.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-11-06 at 05:56 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Sure it does. Horus was The Emperor's third choice for Warmaster, after Sanguinius and Dorn.

Convince Dorn to stop humping his Dad's leg, and tell him to pick up the mantle of Warmaster.
    Tell Sangunius that yes, he's a Mutant. But literally nobody holds that against him. His Brothers do not hate him, in fact, they universally adore him - except Angron, but he's wrong.
    I... Don't remember that. I thought it was a Horus/Lion/Guilliman race. Huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Step 1 to solving all Mortarion's problems; Kill Horus.

...In fact, that. Convince Mortarion is just as terrible as literally everyone else he's ever dealt with. Tell Mortarion to follow through, and gank Horus. The Imperium is crumbling as we speak. Horus barely ties Chaos toether, and if you can get rid of him, it all comes tumbling down. "...No more Warlords." Humanity collapses into a second Age of Darkness, and everything non-Human in the Galaxy, prospers.
    Oddly enough, I'm not onboard with the Cabal Gambit. Being human myself and all.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Esquire View Post
    I... Don't remember that. I thought it was a Horus/Lion/Guilliman race. Huh.
    Lion thought he was in the running, 'cause he assumed that he was smarter than his Brothers, and he was the obvious choice. He also thought that it was a popularity contest, and if he gave Perterabo a bunch of ordnance, Perterabo would be his friend. Except Perterabo doesn't have a vote, because he isn't The Emperor.

Guilliman was never in the running, and he knew it. Because, very similar to Lion - but with more self-awareness - Guilliman knew that his Brothers would be unlikely to follow his lead, even if he presented the best course of action, simply because he was the one leading. He says almost as much to Sanguinius when deciding who should rule Imperium Secundus. Dad knew the same thing.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-11-07 at 04:51 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Humble is doing a Horus Heresy audio bundle for anyone interested.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...wM8hfOHeUVGjiA

There's a LOT of cool stuff from the link:
    Warhammer Crime

Set in the 41st Millennium, Warhammer Crime will examine the seedy underbelly of a grim, urban environment, looking at criminals and the upholders of the law in the far future. You’ll encounter consulting detectives, arbitrators, gangers, traffickers, corrupt Administratum officials, thugs and humble clerks with secrets to hide. The tales these souls tell will be perfect for fans of the detective and crime genre, as well as for Warhammer 40,000 devotees who enjoy the stories of Eisenhorn, Ravenor and Erasmus Crowl.

Warhammer Crime launches in July 2020 with Bloodlines by Chris Wraight. Set in the corrupt and crime-ridden city of Varangantua, this is an intimate and relatable tale of low-level crime. Bloodlines will be the first in a range of books and audio dramas exploring the dark and grimy world beyond the battlefield. Watch out for more news soon.
    I know some folks have wanted a view more on the day to day stuff of 40k, and this seems like the sort of thing they might like.

Spoiler: Really boring miniatures
    Show

Apparently they're the characters from the second Watcher of the Throne book.

Yay, more battle for terra.

Finally, another chance at making the Lion interesting.

Wasn't Cheese a fiend for Kal Jericho stories?

A popular favourite or two comes back as well for those who missed them the first time around

More Last Chancers

Some additional Ephrael Stern shenanigans with a full colour Daemonifuge

and a new audiodrama

Astorath gets a book

So does Fabulous Bill

A bit of Farsight vs Chaos action

Imperial Fists get some love

Some more Warhammer Horror stuff by terrible authors (though The Way Out wasn't bad, but it was very generic).

Every single Dan Abnett story in one collection

Some hot garbage about the SW in audiodrama form, but to make up for it, John French is doing an audiodrama about Cypher

And another SoB audiodrama to top it off.

That's quite a bit of pretty awesome stuff.
    Last edited by Drasius; 2019-11-11 at 05:00 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180

Griffon

Very little in there that I wouldn't be interested in reading. The Lion and Cypher primarily, but also an unusually diverse mix of characters being mentioned - Definitely worth keeping an eye on.