New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331

Default Re: My Little Pony C: Friendship Carries On

Apparently, it got on the Naughty List in a bad way and Santa sent a black-ops elf to deal with the matter.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Happy new year, pony thread, and let's hope that against all odds, this new year/decade proves to be a good one.

(I guess we'll know if we're still hear this time next year...)

3. - Top - End - #333
    Spamalot in the Playground

Happy new year!
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm hoping to be more art productive this year.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

4. - Top - End - #334
    Colossus in the Playground

Happy New Year!

Now, who wants to help me bring back The Charleston?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Happy new year, pony thread, and let's hope that against all odds, this new year/decade proves to be a good one.

(I guess we'll know if we're still hear this time next year...)
    Been good so far, but work starts tomorrow (for context, my Christmas leave started on the 9th).

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Now, who wants to help me bring back The Charleston?
    It went away?
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

6. - Top - End - #336
    Dwarf in the Playground

Happy New Year.

Did anyone make any resolutions? I don't generally bother and only make resolutions or lifestyle changes when I think that I will keep them.

7. - Top - End - #337

Same resolution I make each year, to spend as much time with my family as possible. I have a pretty good track record of pulling it off.

8. - Top - End - #338

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    (for context, my Christmas leave started on the 9th).
    The important question: Was it a paid leave?
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Pi Pie View Post
    Did anyone make any resolutions?
    One of the art things I want to do is make videos regaling the tales of all the various RPG campaigns I've run or played in, in the same kind of format as people like Dingo Doodles and Puffin Forest do over on YouTube. I've been in the hobby for over two decades, so the hard part is... which story to tell first? I was thinking of a Shadowrun campaign I played in, as a dog shaman. Woof.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    The important question: Was it a paid leave?
    Ho yesss.... It doesn't get much better.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

10. - Top - End - #340
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dropping in to link a pony-related Tumblr post, mostly because I figured it would amuse Commodore Bleakbane:

https://house-of-tykayl.tumblr.com/p...is-superpowers
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

11. - Top - End - #341
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    Dropping in to link a pony-related Tumblr post, mostly because I figured it would amuse Commodore Bleakbane:

https://house-of-tykayl.tumblr.com/p...is-superpowers
    That's adorable.

12. - Top - End - #342

Is Raven supposed to be a ki-rin? It would befit her emotional issues.

13. - Top - End - #343

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Is Raven supposed to be a ki-rin? It would befit her emotional issues.
    Looks a bit like a batpony but with a unicorn horn instead of wings. Batcorn?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I was just listening to epsiode 65 pof the Unexpectables (I am a loooooong way behind), which if you don't know is a D&D stream/podcast/Youtube thing that Takahata101 (of DBZ Abridged fame) does and I happened to glance at the side videos and saw this, My Little Pony: Dungeons & Friendship as a video from his channel, which turns about to be the lastest one released.

I am not listening to it right now (since, like, I have about forty more videoes of Unexpectables plus specials (one/two/tthree offs) - of which I assume this is - to listen to), but one I thing I can pretty much garentee it that it is likely to be hilarious and I felt I ought to bring it to ponythread's attention immediately.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-01-08 at 09:11 AM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, I was just listening to epsiode 65 pof the Unexpectables (I am a loooooong way behind), which if you don't know is a D&D stream/podcast/Youtube thing that Takahata101 (of DBZ Abridged fame) does and I happened to glance at the side videos and saw this, My Little Pony: Dungeons & Friendship as a video from his channel, which turns about to be the lastest one released.

I am not listening to it right now (since, like, I have about forty more videoes of Unexpectables plus specials (one/two/tthree offs) - of which I assume this is - to listen to), but one I thing I can pretty much garentee it that it is likely to be hilarious and I felt I ought to bring it to ponythread's attention immediately.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eh, I personally gave up on The Unexpectables after they did the whole vision quest thing and Borky learned the obviously wrong message. He's a half-orc who is constantly hyping up his orcish side and calling human things dumb, but we find out that not only is Borky not his real name (been years since I watched it, but it was a common human name), but he's a skilled pianist. He was greatly influenced by his late mother who wanted him to be kind, unlike his father. The whole vision quest ends as his mother dies due to a rampaging horde, and the lesson he takes from the proceedings is to accept that there was nothing he could have done to save his mother, not that he's a child of two worlds and ignoring his human half won't make it go away.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-01-08 at 04:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eh, I personally gave up on The Unexpectables after they did the whole vision quest thing and Borky learned the obviously wrong message. He's a half-orc who is constantly hyping up his orcish side and calling human things dumb, but we find out that not only is Borky not his real name (been years since I watched it, but it was a common human name), but he's a skilled pianist. He was greatly influenced by his late mother who wanted him to be kind, unlike his father. The whole vision quest ends as his mother dies due to a rampaging horde, and the lesson he takes from the proceedings is to accept that there was nothing he could have done to save his mother, not that he's a child of two worlds and ignoring his human half won't make it go away.
    I mean, first of all, spoilers, somepony else on ponythread might be or be starting to listen the Unexpectables.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, like about episode 20?

Err... He's a full orc, not a half-orc. His mother wasn't a human, she was an orc, just not a traditional one. Which sort of undermines your objection a bit.

(I also don't remember it being mentioned about his name, are you sure you're not confusing it with Panic, whom we did (part of) the birth name of) in that instance?)

17. - Top - End - #347
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

One thing I love about this fandom is how it's everywhere. Been playing the HoI4 MLP mod, and it is incredibly fun.

18. - Top - End - #348

This little comic on Twilight pitches an episode got a laugh out of me. Yeah, Starlight is evil...

Quote Originally Posted by Adderbane View Post
    One thing I love about this fandom is how it's everywhere. Been playing the HoI4 MLP mod, and it is incredibly fun.
    HoI4? Afraid I don't remember which game that abbreviation was for.

Also, why is 'abbreviation' always a long word?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #349
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Also, why is 'abbreviation' always a long word?
    Because it has 12 letters, which rubbish for scrabble! And you can't use abbr. because you aren't allowed to use abbreviations either.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

HoI4? Afraid I don't remember which game that abbreviation was for.
    Hearts of Iron 4. It's a WW2-era strategy game. The MLP mod replaces all the nations and geography with roughly canon-compliant stuff. The "historical" mode is a Changeling invasion of Equestria, with the Crystal Empire, Yakyakistan, a separatist communist pony state, and others possibly becoming involved. It's interesting because you can veer your nation off in all sorts of interesting paths and alternate histories. For example, once war breaks out, Celestia has a stress meter that can cause her to become Daybreaker if it goes too high and transform Equestria into the Solar Empire. Right now I'm playing as rebel Changelings under Thorax, and attempting to forge a coalition with the other Harmonic nations to stamp out all fascist/communist governments.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

I must get around to trying that mod that one day.

I have never gotten through a complete playthrough of the base game, though...!

22. - Top - End - #352

Hearts of Iron 4. It's a WW2-era strategy game.
    Ah, I heard of it. Thanks! I think the stress meter is a neat addition. Gotta keep your pony princess relaxed during trying times. :3

I did some art of Doc and Switch flirting nerdy with each other.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

Elf tank?

Spoiler: v0.5
    Show

Also, Enragers got a lot scarier.

Spoiler: Enrager Mk 2s
    Show

With Mk 1s (froint) and a Bleakbane, for scale.)

Why bother with a light coldbeam cannon, when you can make the head a coldbeam cannon - Cyclops-style?

(And yes, that's rotary triple Snake Launcher on the back, with an ammo container.)

Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-01-18 at 05:05 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Elf tank?

Spoiler: v0.5
    Show
    You Fool!!! You've weaponised Twisters!! The wrath of Pinkie shall be UNLEASHED!!!

Note to self: Stop reading Girl Genius for a while...

Spoiler: Enrager Mk 2s
    Show

(And yes, that's rotary triple Snake Launcher on the back, with an ammo container.)

The two at the back looked like they had a rather unbalanced jet-pack until I realised that the left-hand cylinder was an undeployed rocket launcher. The ammo container is the cylinder in the middle?

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    You Fool!!! You've weaponised Twisters!! The wrath of Pinkie shall be UNLEASHED!!!

Note to self: Stop reading Girl Genius for a while...
    I mean, if anyone's going to do that, it'd be, like elves, right?

They do sometimes have, like, literal planting pots on the sides of their vehicles.

No, really. I'm not being facestious about it, for once.

I know, I know, haha the elves put pretty flowers on their tanks and don't at all use nature magic to grow specific planetary vegetation camoflage nets. As I've occasionally said before, if an elf is hugging a tree, it's actually likely only so that she can beat you death with it, because funnily the results of having a race with a long-lasting national prevalence for longbows does not, in fact, give you a bunch of limp-wristed weaklings, but the exact opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth
    The two at the back looked like they had a rather unbalanced jet-pack until I realised that the left-hand cylinder was an undeployed rocket launcher. The ammo container is the cylinder in the middle?
    Yup. (And yes, of course, the model is meta-articulated such that it rotates in properly.) It doesn't need to go all the way, in by-the-by - that red stripe you can just see on the righthand side of the ammo canister? That's the reloading door, which accomodates a single tube of the launcher, which is reloaded, and then the launcher clicks round to load the next one from the loading carousel inside the amoo bin.

(On the real version, of course, the rails and carousel of the snake launcher itself are not as prononuced; they're thinner in pretty much all the dimensions, but of course 144th being what it is, minimum wall thicknesses.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-01-19 at 10:16 AM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hearts of Iron 4. It's a WW2-era strategy game. The MLP mod replaces all the nations and geography with roughly canon-compliant stuff. The "historical" mode is a Changeling invasion of Equestria, with the Crystal Empire, Yakyakistan, a separatist communist pony state, and others possibly becoming involved. It's interesting because you can veer your nation off in all sorts of interesting paths and alternate histories. For example, once war breaks out, Celestia has a stress meter that can cause her to become Daybreaker if it goes too high and transform Equestria into the Solar Empire. Right now I'm playing as rebel Changelings under Thorax, and attempting to forge a coalition with the other Harmonic nations to stamp out all fascist/communist governments.
    Any recommendations for getting into HOI4 with the MLP mod?

I have never played a Paradox game before, and the user interface does not seem obvious. Also the tutorial is lacking. Overall, it appears to be intimidating for someone new to their systems of games.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

I have never played a Paradox game before, and the user interface does not seem obvious. Also the tutorial is lacking. Overall, it appears to be intimidating for someone new to their systems of games.
    There is no subsitute, I'm afraid, for reading the wiki, watching fan tutorial videos (the official tutorials in-game are almost unilaterally considered rubbish) and asking for help on their forums and just having to try until you get somewhere.

Fair warning, I found HoI4 PARTICULARLY hard to get somewhere with, it took SEVERAL tries, WITH their forum's help, on Easy, to actually make headway (and it wasn't as if I was doing anything egregiously wrong, I just found I Couldn't Warfare), and that was just playing vanilla.

PDX are sufficently complex that you will need to expect to sink a lot of hours into learning to play. I think HoIV might be the hardest to learn to start with, because of the much tighter sandbox to play in. With the other games, there are places you can start that don't chuck you into the deep end and you can work up to tacking the big stuff; HoIV, not so much; thought maybe the MLP mod is different in that regard I don't know. Stellaris and CK2 I had no problems with; bit of alearning chasm with EUIV, but that was the first I played (and it took me a good four hours of frustration (nearly a rage-quit) and a restart before I actually started to get my head around it.)

On the positive side, PDX grand strats have a LOT of hours for their pennies (I've only played two games of EUIV and got 400 hours out of it, and not even finished my Rome game in CK2 at 440), so once you get going, I find the endless planning and decision making to be very engaging.

For vanilla HoI4, I can only point you in the direction of my thread here, where their forum bent over backwards to get me SOMEWHERE.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I recommend starting as the Crystal Empire and doing the Cadance route. You have a powerful ally in Equestria, and don't have to worry about the naval part at all, just fighting the changelings. Honestly the best way to learn is just to play, click buttons, and familiarize yourself with the menus.

A few things I've learned.

- Civilian factories are really important, especially at the beginning. Each set of 15 will work on a new building.

- Industrial tech is super important. You should always do the tools, dispersed industry, and construction at minimum.

- Divisions should have either 10, 20, or 40 width. That way you can fit as many as possible into the 80 width battlefield.

- Superior Firepower is the best land doctrine, unless your tank-focused. Then it's tied for first with Mobile Warfare.

- The racial tech trees are pretty good. Keep an eye on them.

- Always give your divisions an Engineer support company. Huge defensive bonuses. Recon is good too. And the racial support unit.

- Light tanks are almost always better than Heavy, but make sure they have motorized or mechanized infantry that can keep up. (I'm experimenting with using Heavy/Superheavy with foot Infantry to toughen them up)

- If you surround enemy units they die instead of retreating. Light tanks are good for this.

- The most important thing your air force can do is air superiority in the areas you're fighting, which gives penalties to enemy movement.

- Researching Land Doctrine is rarely a waste of time.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Version 0.9 Elf tank

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

Whelp, that's panto done for another year. Knackered. (May not be one next year, might not be enough folk, as about three of the cast won't be doing it for various reason,s.) Went pretty well, aside from the first nighr wherein in the idiots from the care home (who nearly were going to cancel at the cost of ten seats - out the forty or so, that's pretty significant - but came and then booked the taxis for half-past eight, right in the middle of the second half,m meaning that whle we were trying to do a damn show, they were carting out the poor old ladies and blocking the isles).

Sister also had a baby, though not during the performance, and not unexpectedly.

There is also a SHOCKING lack of Pony/Girls und Panzer fanart, which is a travesty that really ought to be remedied.

Additionaly, during the break, SFDebris did another couple of Pony reviews.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-02-22 at 06:09 PM.