New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony C: Friendship Carries On

ARe. YOU. ******** KIDDING. ME.

Spoiler
    Show

So, let's get this right. I get slapped RIGHT next to a frack-ton of silicoid swarms (that's not even all of them, they spread like wildfire). My expansion is crippled by the lack of decent worlds to expand to and then hard-capped by a colony traps, ancient ruins and unknown vessels of the Morrigi random encounter stuff. I do not get point-defence tech - you know the ONE COUNTER to both of those. I am taking HORRENDOUS casualties clearing out the swarms, but I've about managed. The AI, apparently after I did all the sodding dying and triggering the encounters until they go away, now gets to block my expansion and IMMEDIATELY sends a massive fleet so big I ended up having to auto-resolve, because it actually gave me a better result than trying to fight it (y'know, fighting the starship battles being the ENTIRE reason I'm playing). Oh and node tracking tech (90% chance - LIKE THE PD), that lets me see the humans coming? No, don't get that either,.

And then you stick the [EXPLETIVING] VON NEUMANN HOMEWORLD right next to my CAPITAL, placing it first in line for the late-game FREAKING system killers and stuff? ALSO not giving me any of the hard-counters (PD - again!) and Emitters - to regular Von Neumann stuff. After hamstringing me the entire game (and notably, on the ONE TIME, I thought I'd try something different to just phaving the AI on Easy, in the hopes I'd get some slightly larger starship battles towards the endgame AND after I decided "no, you know, what, I won't restart because of RNG" several times to tough it out).

I repeat.

ARE. YOU. ******** KIDDING. ME.

Edit: Looking at the destroyed DN count? Pretty sure I'M the only one that has had to fight the Swarm all game, since at this stage, no-one has any DNs to destroyed except for the encounters.

Edit edit: Nope. No, the AI just wouldn't let me do anything. It waited with a fleet twice the size of anything I could have because it locked me into a corner and didn't let me have the one technology that allowed me to fight it all the stuff it stacked up against me (also worth noting that humans extensively use torpedoes, which are also PD-countered). I had just hit dreadnoughts and FINALLY got PD tracking from the salvage, but in order to do that, I was building the economy so I coiuld actually afford to make ships and from there I could have got something like a foothold. But no. Despite me hitting the top income, apparently if you use team settings, you'e just not allowed to negotiate (to buy me some time). And then it came in with allies and wiped the fleet (the majority of all my combat vessels) and the colony.

So, yeah, that was a COMPLETE WASTE of several hours because of RNG, the PRCEISE THING I hate so very much. It's not fun, it's not entertaining (and if this was a PDX grand strat, I would be editing the CRAP out of the save and just deleting all the enemy fleets and going "no.")

Well, RNG, I guess you taught me didn't you? The one time I didn't save-scam from the very start and tried to put something that was slightly different from the usual, you slapped me in the face. Won't make that mistake again, then, ever.

Edit edit edit: Okay, so after SEVERAL restarts, I was happy enough with the initial conditions. I kept the enemy teams, but set the AI to Easy and gave myself 450000 instead of 50000 starting funds. That allowed me to get out of the gate MUCH faster, and get the research off. For an hour or two, it seemed to be going great. The unknown mances I ran into were faciliies I could run away from and maybe capture later. I'd picked a rift galaxy, so naturally the game had place me on one side of the rift with all the humans. Nevermind, I thought, one gate the other side and I an expand there. Carry on, beating the early human waves off trivially.

Then, coming up to turn 70, I ran into a swarm of 75 human destroyers. I had JUST got some cruisers, and the RNG had actually given me emitters (and frigging PD), ideal for this job. It took severe damage, but I held off the attack. Struggling for money at this point, since again all the planets that were habitable (very few) were really small. Then on turn 70 a fleet of 140 destroyers from another lot of humans appeared. Meanwhile, the first systemI headed to on the other side of the rift? Silicoids, because of course they were. Second one, after diverting? Occupied by the other hivers.

And rage quit again, because frack off.

Clearly, having the enemy in teams are just not plausible, because they somehow manage absurd fleet numbers, and the game clearly likes setting them closer to me than to the other opposing team (no, couildn't have put ME one side of the galaxy and the humans and hivers the other, could we?)

So we continue the theme of the year: irritation.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-04-05 at 04:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

ugh..this night

one of our nurses tested positive so we are doing terminal clean of entire 4th floor + ER + 4 elevators
    in full PPE which if you have never worn it gets HOT real quick....

and list of stuff coming to Netflix? still no final season 8(
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

3. - Top - End - #423
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm so happy I've found this thread. I've very much been in a MLP mood lately and I've pretty much exhausted most of the primary source material to the point where I've been looking more into the stuff produced by the fans, so it's great to have this thread. Both the links in the OP as well as the little additions made by posters themselves are great to have.

Anyway, I figured I'd just pop in and show my appreciation. It's amazing to see the fandom produce so much MLP themed content, which is often pretty good! It is a highly valued source of positivity to me.

4. - Top - End - #424

I've been keeping up with Equestria Daily; it's kind of amazing to me that the fandom is still producing the level and amount of creative work inspired by FiM that I see every day.
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

5. - Top - End - #425
    Spamalot in the Playground

Yeah, the fandom is still doing stuff. I as well, drawing earth ponies, a couple zebras, and some unicorns of unusual size.

I've drawn some other stuff around places, but that art doesn't consistently hit as many views/likes as my pony stuff still so I keep drawing what gets attention. :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    "Having half the States without a stay-at-home order is like having a pee section in a public swimming pool."
    I'd be happy with a swimming pool with a pee section right now. I haven't been able to swim for more than a month, because all the pools are closed. I'm missing the exercise.

7. - Top - End - #427

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    I'd be happy with a swimming pool with a pee section right now. I haven't been able to swim for more than a month, because all the pools are closed. I'm missing the exercise.
    I can relate. There's an outdoors swimming pool near where I live and it was supposed to open up soon with the start of spring, but obviously it looks like that won't be possible. Real shame, too. I was looking forward to some early morning outdoors swimming.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    I can relate. There's an outdoors swimming pool near where I live and it was supposed to open up soon with the start of spring, but obviously it looks like that won't be possible. Real shame, too. I was looking forward to some early morning outdoors swimming.
    My daughter (and wife, for that matter) will sympathise - my daughter is a Lifeguard/Swim Teacher, and is completely out of work and exercise at the moment. She is concerned enough about the lack of exercise that she is forcing herself to come out running with Daddy twice a week.

(Work isn't so much of an issue - she's still living at home, so not in as bad a state as some of her collegues who have to fend for themselves).

EDIT: She's also a bigger fan of MLP than me, for all that she used to leave the room whenever it was on... She's been watching it a lot lately...
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2020-04-11 at 12:25 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

9. - Top - End - #429

Introduce her to Friendship is Dragons. You know you want to.

10. - Top - End - #430

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    EDIT: She's also a bigger fan of MLP than me, for all that she used to leave the room whenever it was on... She's been watching it a lot lately...
    Awesome! Nice to see that the herd is still growing.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Colossus in the Playground

Me: Finally gets mother to agree to stop buying Easter baskets because I'm a grown-ass man and can't keep eating that much candy.

Mom: Buys large amounts of candy anyway, just doesn't put it in a basket.

Am I weird for not liking having to eat nine servings of chocolate at once because the damn thing starts melting as soon as you open the box and it not storing well due to shape and size not being freezer friendly?

I keep telling her that crap like this is why we're all so fat...
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Am I weird for not liking having to eat nine servings of chocolate at once because the damn thing starts melting as soon as you open the box and it not storing well due to shape and size not being freezer friendly?
    Can't you break the eggs up (to take up less space) and store them in the fridge? That's what we do.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Me: Finally gets mother to agree to stop buying Easter baskets because I'm a grown-ass man and can't keep eating that much candy.

Mom: Buys large amounts of candy anyway, just doesn't put it in a basket.

I keep telling her that crap like this is why we're all so fat...
    Y'know, I've a good mind to Gate over there and swipe that. Oh no, I have too much chocolate (as if that's possible), how terrible. You can't see it, Rater, but I'm giving you SUCH a hard stare right now.

'Specially since with the all crap this year, I might not get much chocolate (Easter chocolate of which, I remind you, typically lasts me all through to August and even September, if I'm lucky.) Since while I (and therefore my Dad) had the foresight to get eggs for everyone else before this started getting serious, I don't know whether anyone else in my family did, nor whether I will (or Dad will, since he's doing most of the shopping at the moment) be able to pick up any extra stuff after today when they (under NORMAL circumstances) put it on sale to clear the shelves. I dunno whether that will even happen.

Though it's possible, I suppose, I will end up scarfing all the stuff I bought under the expectation that I would be running not one, but two day-quests over the period. But 'taint the same.

14. - Top - End - #434

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Can't you break the eggs up (to take up less space) and store them in the fridge? That's what we do.
    This is America, easter eggs are hard-boiled eggs died colors.

Our Easter Chocolate are hollow rabbits made of cheap milk chocolate. Break it up into manageable portions and it's melted by the time it hits the freezer and then it's just nine shapeless masses that nobody would find appetizing.

It's basically eat it all at once(which is, as I said, nine servings of chocolate) or let it go bad.

(also, even if I could our main freezer is full.)

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

Well, at least the Red Dwarf special was really good.

It even sort of had some Starship Battles In It, or at least as close as Red Dwarf gets, anyway.

32 years on and they have lost NOTHING.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

This is America, easter eggs are hard-boiled eggs died colors.

Our Easter Chocolate are hollow rabbits made of cheap milk chocolate. Break it up into manageable portions and it's melted by the time it hits the freezer and then it's just nine shapeless masses that nobody would find appetizing.

It's basically eat it all at once(which is, as I said, nine servings of chocolate) or let it go bad.

(also, even if I could our main freezer is full.)
    I've got no advice for you sorry. I've still got a good meter of snow on the ground, so chocolate melting faster than I can freeze it has never been a problem for me.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

Whelp, me and Dad had to go round to Nanny's again; we (i.e. one or two of us out of me, Dad and Mum) are around basically every day for one reason or another at the moment. The irony of this is not lost on me.

Still, silver lining of us then having to go do shopping (she was out of biner liners and baby/face wipes) was that I was at least able to Acquire Additional Chocolate from Aldi. Which, after the insane queues on Friday/Saturday was dead empty, oddly enough.

We (that is Dad, Aotrs Shipyards and one of my mates who has a printer) are also test-printing some mast extenders to go to my sister who is working at the hospital, if they work, I will at least try and spread it out to folk with printers to say that is something they could do if they wanted to attempt to help their local medial people. We'll see.

Break it up into manageable portions and it's melted by the time it hits the freezer and then it's just nine shapeless masses that nobody would find appetizing.
    Dude, it's CHOCOLATE! The frack does the shape of it matter?
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-04-13 at 11:12 AM.

18. - Top - End - #438

Some people are weird. For instance, hollow rabbits? The ones I get are solid and very yummy.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Dude, it's CHOCOLATE! The frack does the shape of it matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Some people are weird. For instance, hollow rabbits? The ones I get are solid and very yummy.
    We get hollow chocolate rabbits in the UK as well as eggs - Lindt do a rather nice one. And egg or rabbit, we have to smash them before eating anyway, so the shape doesn't matter.

I really don't get storing them in the freezer, though. The fridge should be cold enough - you don't even have to use the icebox.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Hollow rabbits allow kids to marvel at the size of their candy without providing the additional mass of sugar to aggravate their parents.

Spoiler: Ponies
    Show

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

Whelp. Apparently the Sots!Hiver!Aotrs are being topical, since they unleashed a deadly virus on the unsuspecting citizens of Ezekbyn.

Especially unexpecting, since Ezekbyn is an Hiiver!Aotrs planet.

Whoops.

On the other hand, I has discovered that if you field ten carriers with drones, by 'eck they can't half do some damage... 104 enemy destroyers for the loss of, what looks like, less than ten drones? That's a bit balmy, that is.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

So.

Nanny's getting worse, she's deteriorated rapidly in the last few days and it looks strongly like she'll have to go into hospital.

Which means that she almost certainly won't come out again, and worse, with the lock-down it means my sisters (and my uncle down in Birmingham) won't get to see her again. Hell, we probably can't even have a funeral properly.

This is EXACTLY what I was concerned about with the lock-down.

I hate it when I'm right.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I can only offer my sympathies. There's never a good time to end up in hospital, and this is really not a good time.

24. - Top - End - #444

So.

Nanny's getting worse, she's deteriorated rapidly in the last few days and it looks strongly like she'll have to go into hospital.

Which means that she almost certainly won't come out again, and worse, with the lock-down it means my sisters (and my uncle down in Birmingham) won't get to see her again. Hell, we probably can't even have a funeral properly.

...I wish there was something I could do but I don't even know what to say. You have my sympathy.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Spamalot in the Playground

If only I had a way to take some of that extra chocolate off your hands, Rater. I've run out and can't get shopping until Sunday.

Working from home has been getting better for me. Mostly cause now I can yell at co-workers and they can't hear me. XD

I had installed a mod on Minecraft to play as a pony. I should get some pics, it's pretty cute. Though my bro sent me a copy of Breath of the Wild, so maybe I can steal my daughter's Switch this weekend?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

...I wish there was something I could do but I don't even know what to say. You have my sympathy.
    The lastest at the moment is that she appears to have a temperature (it is not THE virus, we're sure); after some assessment from the district nurse, Nanny is going to spend the weekend in bed (good job we made that effort to get that put in the dining room the other week), partly because she's adamant she she doesn't want to go back in hospital. But in the bed, at least, a single carer can change her and stuff (apparently is was very traumatic for Dad to get her into bed with help and he can't keep doing it himself, and of coruse Mum is basically on her last limit because of the whole collective mess anyway).

So. Just a case of wait and see now; there are no good answers.

I had a bit of a laugh the other day, reading (for maybe only the second or thrid time) Asterix and the Chariot Race one of the new generation of Asterix books (released a year or two ago, I wait for the softcovers). As the Roman charioteer's name?

Coronavirus.

Yes.

Really.

Yeah,that made from some unintentiaonal black humour when you had all these people cheering for "Coronavirus...!"
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-04-17 at 11:32 AM.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

So.

Sorry. Dealing with this sort of situation is never easy even in the best of times and this is anything but the best of times. You have my sympathy.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

28. - Top - End - #448

If only I had a way to take some of that extra chocolate off your hands, Rater. I've run out and can't get shopping until Sunday.

Working from home has been getting better for me. Mostly cause now I can yell at co-workers and they can't hear me. XD
    I have done this exact thing. I imagine working from home is a bit more difficult to adjust to for very socially inclined people. For my part I appreciate the quieter working conditions and the lack of a commute.

I had installed a mod on Minecraft to play as a pony. I should get some pics, it's pretty cute. Though my bro sent me a copy of Breath of the Wild, so maybe I can steal my daughter's Switch this weekend?
    Indeed! Or, to phrase it as per ye olde internete traditione: 'pics or it didn't happen!'.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, plan to buy Minecraft after my brother decided to not give me the account name and password, which I have been mooching on since decade ago.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

30. - Top - End - #450

I had a bit of a laugh the other day, reading (for maybe only the second or thrid time) Asterix and the Chariot Race one of the new generation of Asterix books (released a year or two ago, I wait for the softcovers). As the Roman charioteer's name?

Coronavirus.

Yes.

Really.

Yeah,that made from some unintentiaonal black humor when you had all these people cheering for "Coronavirus...!"
    The other day while ding a grocery run, my mother saw someone walking across a bridge on foot carrying a case of Corona Beer.

You'd think they wouldn't take the PR hit, but...

Also saw a commercial for bodywash where the agline was "you can never get too close with clean an healthy skin" which was just poorly timed.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks