New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: My Little Pony C: Friendship Carries On

3/7 autographs acquired. I'm learning that the real con is the lines you waited in along the way.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Spamalot in the Playground

Is there a new pony today? I think there is a new pony today.

Quote Originally Posted by Adderbane View Post
    3/7 autographs acquired. I'm learning that the real con is the lines you waited in along the way.
    I've always wanted to try the idea of hanging around long lines and draw sketches of people's OCs waiting in line for money. Think I could make bank with that? :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Is there a new pony today? I think there is a new pony today.

I've always wanted to try the idea of hanging around long lines and draw sketches of people's OCs waiting in line for money. Think I could make bank with that? :3

Maybe, assuming its permitted by con rules
    Last edited by Adderbane; 2019-08-03 at 09:42 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

so i weighed myself at work last night(as every week)
    but it gave me my weight in KG
    what the? give it to me in something that makes sense
    push the button to change the readout..and it tells me i weigh 17 stone???!?
    enough with the made up weight systems..whats next Halfling Standard Market Units? Western Elvish Treenuts?
    give me my weight in a REAL system.. pounds and ounces

Spoiler: pony tax
    Show
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

I have returnethéd!

Somewhat trying trip back, due to diversions (fortunately, we were warned ahead of time by my sister), traffic and the boot coming open twice on the A road.

(And then I had to whip out to Nanny's as she said no=-one had come to give her tea, but it looks like they did and she just forgot and probably said she wasn't hungry at the time...)

I has:

Been foiled again because apparently ice-cream ,milkshakes outside of McDonalds are some sort of magic moon-food, spoken of in legends, but passing all understanding of mortal human minds. (It's bloody rare to find regular milkshakes any freakin where.)
    Completed EV training in SoulSilver
    Whomped Team Plasma and started berry growing EV training in Platinum
    Started EV training in White 2
    Got to Frost cavern in Y
    Got many Pokébeans in Sun and Ultrasun (and also café man, frankly "this milk is so good you'll wish your mother was a miltank" is a frankly inappropriate and disturbing piece of imagery for adult fiction, let alone something in a children's game, never say that again).
    Read 8/11 Alex Rider books (re-read of one through seven).

(Those of you following Bleakbane Farms (which is, of course, all of you if you know what is good for you) will note that Mr Rider is exactly the sort of proper Alex that Illy would approve of, and is clearly Alex-short-for-Alexander is under the delusion that he is, but is in fact woefully inferior to on every level.)

Spoiler: Humorous Pictures
    Show

You think maybe we over did it?

Nah!

(Note in picture two, Proper Spades, for the digging thereof (two, of course, to be duel-wielded). Wooden haft is essential, as plastic bends too easily, as do larger spade. Proper Spades of this type have been used for decades, and often at some considerable effort to acquire.

Left side of pool, Bleakbane, right side of pool with assistance from Pestbag and Botty-Pain. About an hour's work.)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Spoiler: Humorous Pictures
    Show

You think maybe we over did it?

Nah!

(Note in picture two, Proper Spades, for the digging thereof (two, of course, to be duel-wielded). Wooden haft is essential, as plastic bends too easily, as do larger spade. Proper Spades of this type have been used for decades, and often at some considerable effort to acquire.

Left side of pool, Bleakbane, right side of pool with assistance from Pestbag and Botty-Pain. About an hour's work.)
    That's some good sandcastling right there. Not been able to do that in Springvale since they redid the sea defenses.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: S9 E14
    Show
    I'll be honest, I really liked this episode.
    To start with, the opening scene touches on an interesting point regarding Pinkie Pie's character, in that her character really hasn't changed since Season 1 and part of why is that she doesn't have much by the way of ambitions when compared to her friends. More importantly, this episode gives what I think is a valid reason why, namely the fact that Pinkie Pie's daily life already allows her to achieve her central ambition in life, namely to make other ponies happy.
    Of course, between the opening scene and Pinkie's revelation about how she's already realizing her purpose in life we have Pinkie's interactions with Pony Wonka Cheese Sandwich. One of the things I appreciated here was how the show avoided making Sans Smirk an actual villain. A lesser show might have made Sans out to be a sort of happiness vampire who's drained Cheese and now plans to do the same with Pinkie, but I think the lesson and the episode overall are much stronger for making him a well-meaning but boring individual.
    Overall, I give this episode an A.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38

Show
    T'was alright episode. I mean, I was in it mostly for Weird Al's performance and he did fine. Did anyone else get a Willie Wonka vibe at first approach to the factory? Heh, it got my wife and I to talk about the Depp movie version and we ended up watching that again. So.. points for invoking nostalgia? Bonus point for the scary super slippery banana peel. I mean... that thing was possessed!

Anyway, not much to say. It's Pinkie and Weird Al being themselves.

Maybe, assuming its permitted by con rules
    That's a good question. I haven't seen such rules at cons I been to, but then again I haven't seen anyone try such an idea either...

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    push the button to change the readout..and it tells me i weigh 17 stone???!?
    enough with the made up weight systems..whats next Halfling Standard Market Units? Western Elvish Treenuts?
    Something I read a couple weeks back about measuring units--while Si units are more organized for measurements since they run on powers of ten, the old imperial system the US uses works much better in the romance of song and poetry.

A song about walking 500 miles to be with your love flows better than walking 500 kilometers. :3

[SPOILER=pony tax]
    Heh, looks a bit like a grass-type equine pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Show
    I'll be honest, I really liked this episode.
    To start with, the opening scene touches on an interesting point regarding Pinkie Pie's character, in that her character really hasn't changed since Season 1 and part of why is that she doesn't have much by the way of ambitions when compared to her friends. More importantly, this episode gives what I think is a valid reason why, namely the fact that Pinkie Pie's daily life already allows her to achieve her central ambition in life, namely to make other ponies happy.
    Of course, between the opening scene and Pinkie's revelation about how she's already realizing her purpose in life we have Pinkie's interactions with Pony Wonka Cheese Sandwich. One of the things I appreciated here was how the show avoided making Sans Smirk an actual villain. A lesser show might have made Sans out to be a sort of happiness vampire who's drained Cheese and now plans to do the same with Pinkie, but I think the lesson and the episode overall are much stronger for making him a well-meaning but boring individual.
    Overall, I give this episode an A.
    Show
    Similar note, AJ already runs most of the farm with her brother so her ambitions were pretty much pre-completed too. Likely part of why writers can't applejack. They didn't give her any arc to reach for.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Day 3 of con complete. 6/7 autographs acquired; Cadance yet eludes me.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Something I read a couple weeks back about measuring units--while Si units are more organized for measurements since they run on powers of ten, the old imperial system the US uses works much better in the romance of song and poetry.

A song about walking 500 miles to be with your love flows better than walking 500 kilometers. :3
    ...I would walk five hundred miles

Let's see

...I would walk five hundred K
    ...I would walk five hundred clicks

Might have to fiddle with the rhymes, but the scansion looks OK.

On the other hand, kilometers are shorter, so if you want to show your commitment then Imperial units are miles better.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2019-08-04 at 06:30 AM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    ...I would walk five hundred miles

Let's see

On the other hand, kilometers are shorter, so if you want to show your commitment then Imperial units are miles better.
    Of course, in the Aotrs, you could use "feet" ("metres" doesn't fit the scansion either - "yards" might, though, and that's close enough), where walking five hundred feet, thanks to the distance compression factor, could be anything from up to 500 miles (Gate X - though you'd have to a very high level caster (beyond me) to make a mere tenth-level spell reach that far) to 9.46% of a light year (approx 560 billion miles) with Gate XXV.

("Yards," of course, would make that latter triple the distance. (Lord Death Despoil could manage to get 1500 miles out of Gate X (and more), but he can get pretty much double the range of lesser immortals out of spells.))

Edit: I can't maths this morning. Correct values, now...! (Forgot to multiply by 100 on the percentage, no wonder I was confusing myself...)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-08-04 at 07:45 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post

Perhaps ok, but the feeling behind it is a bit muddied in my opinion. Like, American expressions are built around our old measuring system. Here we say "They're inching along" to mean someone moving slowly toward something. I don't know if Metric countries borrow that or have their own expression? Metric is a better system, but doesn't lend itself as smoothly to expressions.

"They're 2.54 centimetering along."

Ayyy. Nicely done.

(Forgot to multiply by 100 on the percentage, no wonder I was confusing myself...)
    *insert Pokemon confusion reference*
    Digo Dragon - Artist

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: s9e14
    Show
    Grand start to the latter half!

Nice to see Cheese again!

I was expecting this to be a sort of re-tread of Rarity's problems with the boutique - and it kind of was, but not in quite the same way. I was expecting a more "evil triple AAAAAAAAAAA" capitalism, over-worked thing, when in fact Sans smirk (I think that was right?) turned out be to basically of a Maud-like bend. (Which, I suppose kind of makes sense...!)

I love the fact that Pinkie thinks AJ's hat is her lifelong goal. (I'm not even convinced AJ doesn't think that, too, in her heart...)

Show
    Anyway, not much to say. It's Pinkie and Weird Al being themselves.

Similar note, AJ already runs most of the farm with her brother so her ambitions were pretty much pre-completed too. Likely part of why writers can't applejack. They didn't give her any arc to reach for.
    Pretty much, on both counts.

Well, except that AJ could really have had more of an arc across the series where she learns not to be stubborn to the point of bloody-mindedness far too often, but Applebuck season only partially went in.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Show
    One of the things I appreciated here was how the show avoided making Sans Smirk an actual villain. A lesser show might have made Sans out to be a sort of happiness vampire who's drained Cheese and now plans to do the same with Pinkie, but I think the lesson and the episode overall are much stronger for making him a well-meaning but boring individual.
    Spoiler: s9e14
    Show
    Definitely. I was even expecting that, even, so I was pleased to be wrong.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-08-04 at 11:56 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44

AJ's arcs have for the most part been about letting Applebloom actually have her own life and make her own decisions.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Been foiled again because apparently ice-cream ,milkshakes outside of McDonalds are some sort of magic moon-food, spoken of in legends, but passing all understanding of mortal human minds. (It's bloody rare to find regular milkshakes any freakin where.)
    well..maybe if you sillies would stop treating them as weapons to chuck at everyone who disagrees with you on any subject more places would be willing to carry them
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Looking to upload some pics from BronyCon. What's a good site to link from? I know some can be a pain to get working here...

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Looking to upload some pics from BronyCon. What's a good site to link from? I know some can be a pain to get working here...
    I use Discord, funnily enough. Just upload the pictures to your sever (Heck, so can make a channel for this very purpose) and then link from there. It's how I upload the maps for my PbP games here.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

18. - Top - End - #48

Well, except that AJ could really have had more of an arc across the series where she learns not to be stubborn to the point of bloody-mindedness far too often, but Applebuck season only partially went in.
    I remember long ago the big discussion that her stubborn streak could have been used to make an arc about how she runs the farm and modernizing it to keep up with changing times. Topical for today's kids that are born into all the wifi-enabled tech around them unlike many of us who didn't have it when we grew up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    AJ's arcs have for the most part been about letting Applebloom actually have her own life and make her own decisions.
    Was that more than one episode?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #49

Pretty much every interaction between the two I can recall (the last few seasons are pretty much a blur of same ol' same ol').

20. - Top - End - #50
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Wow, Ponythread #100. I guess I should probably stop in and say hello.
    Long time no see, everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sorry for the rotated pictures.

Spoiler: BronyCon 2019!!!
    Show

All packed up and ready to go!

Loot from the vendor hall. Lucky to get in before things started selling out (like a few hours after they opened).

Someone nostalgic for their world domination days.

Note the ball and chain

MA Larson got bored and found a stamp...

Sunset, when the ambulance goes by the hotel at 3 in the morning...

Sometimes you just want the most impractical things...I guess it's good I don't have that much money.

Yes, that's the hood of his car. Yes, Lauren Faust signed it. No, it's not the weirdest thing she signed. Also, it has Rarity's mark on the other side.

People spontaneously created a small memorial for the con

Staff working a line for pictures, appropriately

After one too many late night panels...

You can tell the serious cosplayers by the dedication to their props

I was given this by someone calling themselves "Locquacious of Herd"

Sunset, posing for the camera.

7/7 All signatures completed!

Even got the elusive Estee!

Headed home, very tired, but very happy

I am somewhat annoyed; some other cosplay pictures seem to have disappeared from my camera :(
    Last edited by Adderbane; 2019-08-05 at 06:20 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: S9E14
    Show
    I really liked pinkie singing dramatically in the background during the song, and that they didn't make serious guy (couldn't tell what his name was) a villain. Nice nuanced episode.

23. - Top - End - #53

Sans Smirk. Literally, without a smile, but likely also a play on Sans Serif fonts.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Wow, Ponythread #100. I guess I should probably stop in and say hello.
    Long time no see, everyone.
    Pretty amazing run, isn't it? I dimly recall the time when a new Ponythread would get burned through in mere days (at least it seemed like it).
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    Pretty amazing run, isn't it? I dimly recall the time when a new Ponythread would get burned through in mere days (at least it seemed like it).
    Yup. We spent 88 threads on the first 100 episodes, and now we're at 99 full threads and 210 episodes. Definitely slowing down.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just a heads up before this thread gets too old. Apparently the pony RPGs have a few dead links...It's really kind of sad t's been so long to see them fade away
    Current Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Xen'Thega,The Bald Ronin, in FFX Dungeon Crawl

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Godna View Post
    Just a heads up before this thread gets too old. Apparently the pony RPGs have a few dead links...It's really kind of sad t's been so long to see them fade away
    Thanks for the heads-up! That will teach me to be lazy between threads.

I've deleted or updated the dead links as appropriate.
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Yup. We spent 88 threads on the first 100 episodes, and now we're at 99 full threads and 210 episodes. Definitely slowing down.
    I mean it's so bad I had to go and make my own thread to subject people to my Bleakbane plays blithering! See, that nonsense used to be (largely) confined to ponythead, and now it's all wild (and even spread to Fimfic...) This all you fault ponythread, and you have nothing but yourselves to blame...

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Applejack: I'll need this if I'm going to take her around the mountain another way.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: S9 E15
    Show
    For the most part I thought this episode was pretty good, my main gripe with it was Rainbow Dash's initial behavior. Granted, the way Rainbow Dash was acting was at least in character, but her initial complete and obvious disinterest in the cheer squad really rubbed me the wrong way. It felt like she was being unnecessarily dickish to the squad far beyond what the story called for.

On the plus side, however, I actually found that I enjoyed pretty much everything else about the episode. Snips' attempts at becoming a hustler were rather entertaining, the members of the cheer squad itself were various flavors of adorable (I was particularly amused by Ocellus' desire to be known for something other than changing shape), but I think my favorite moment was Twilight's hoof bump with Celestia at the end. Subtlety manipulating ponies to teach them lessons in friendship? It would appear that the student has finally become the master.
    Overall, I'd probably give the episode a B.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show