New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony C: Friendship Carries On

Mayhaps, due to the end of the program, the passion has died out in some people?

Believe it or not, most fanfics are written in the middle of a show when here's a basic framework but still mysteries and room for growth: Look at how many Naruto Fanfics there are that make crap up becuase they were started after Part 1 but before or shortly into part 2.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Mayhaps, due to the end of the program, the passion has died out in some people?
    Possibly. We're not getting any new infusions of inspiration, like the Kirin, or the Young 6.

Got around to watching Pony Life. Agree on the Teen Titans Go! comparison, but I like this better.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Titan in the Playground

Believe it or not, most fanfics are written in the middle of a show when here's a basic framework but still mysteries and room for growth: Look at how many Naruto Fanfics there are that make crap up becuase they were started after Part 1 but before or shortly into part 2.
    Using arguably the biggest example (though I suspect pony probably challenges it overall, if not inside Fanfiction.net itself where you can see the numbers), but that never seemed to stop Harry Potter.

Naive of me, perhaps, but I had sort of thought pony might benefit from the same sort of effect.

But apparently not, aside from those (e.g, Estee) who are in no danger or stopping.

4. - Top - End - #634

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Using arguably the biggest example (though I suspect pony probably challenges it overall, if not inside Fanfiction.net itself where you can see the numbers), but that never seemed to stop Harry Potter.

Naive of me, perhaps, but I had sort of thought pony might benefit from the same sort of effect.

But apparently not, aside from those (e.g, Estee) who are in no danger or stopping.
    Harry Potter's a bad example: A ridiculous number of fans absolutely hated how the series turned out. From the Harmony shippers to the people who think that Batman is retarded and worship the Punisher thinking that Harry should have made a Horcrux and been tossing out killing curses like candy at a parade, there are people who just can't accept how the story turned out.

They're trying to fix that which isn't broken.

Not to mention the people who just flat out lie about stuff she's said. Like the time she responded to people getting pissy about Hermione being played by a Black Actress in a stage play that might not even be canon by joking that she never actually said that Hermione was white before clarifying that she liked the actresses work and "bushy brown hair and matching eyes" was the only physical characteristic that she cared about in an actor getting twisted into her claiming that Hermione was black all along.

Or the time that she mentioned that Wizards used to just "go" wherever was convenient and then vanish the mess before they adopted indoor plumbing(She was explaining why the Chamber of Secrets was hidden in a girls bathroom: Short answer, it wasn't but one of Slytherin's descendants redirected the entrance tunnel after the original entrance was rendered inaccessible when the castle was being renovated to install plumbing) being twisted into her saying that "all wizards are constantly ****ting their pants."
    Last edited by Rater202; 2020-06-25 at 09:35 AM.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

For me at least, I lost a lot of desire to write fanfiction for MLP because the unknowns were filled in. In the old days, there were things like, how would Rainbow Dash join the Wonderbolts? Who are Fluttershy's parents? What is the culture of X race?

But all that's gone now.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Bugbear in the Playground

Harry Potter also had the advantage that the years of books were followed by years of movies, which helped keep the hype going.

What has kind of surprised me is that the Pony Art has shown no sign of slowing. Perhaps related, lately I've found more fan comics than fanfics to follow.
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

7. - Top - End - #637
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    Harry Potter also had the advantage that the years of books were followed by years of movies, which helped keep the hype going.

What has kind of surprised me is that the Pony Art has shown no sign of slowing. Perhaps related, lately I've found more fan comics than fanfics to follow.
    Pony music also seems to have been fairly prolific lately, and across a surprising (to me at least) range of genres. I had no idea Pony metal was a thing until a few weeks ago. 0.0

Daybreaker Boogie by Ltrain and 4EverfreeBrony is a real earworm, and 4Everfree’s parody of TMBG “Doctor Worm” (“Ditzy Doo”) is a personal fave as well (and is only a few weeks old!).
    Many thanks to Meto30 for sketching this amazing piece of art, and for allowing me to use it as my avatar!

8. - Top - End - #638
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BlueHamsterBean View Post
    Pony music also seems to have been fairly prolific lately, and across a surprising (to me at least) range of genres. I had no idea Pony metal was a thing until a few weeks ago. 0.0

Daybreaker Boogie by Ltrain and 4EverfreeBrony is a real earworm, and 4Everfree’s parody of TMBG “Doctor Worm” (“Ditzy Doo”) is a personal fave as well (and is only a few weeks old!).
    Yeah, I recently picked up the whole "Ponies At Dawn" set, and have been going through and weeding out the tracks I don't like. "Daybreaker Boogie" is good, but Jyc Row's stuff is amazing. "Together Against the Sisters" in particular.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Spamalot in the Playground

Got to catch the first (2?) Episode of Pony Life. Quite short episodes, aren't they? Well, wasn't bad. Add a little more snarky humor and I'm in.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

10. - Top - End - #640
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Got to catch the first (2?) Episode of Pony Life. Quite short episodes, aren't they? Well, wasn't bad. Add a little more snarky humor and I'm in.
    Out of curiosity, is Pony Life (legally) available to watch on demand anywhere? (My access to network television is limited.) I looked online and the sources I checked say that it’s only on Discovery Family at the mo, but I don’t know how recently those sources were updated. :-/
    Last edited by BlueHamsterBean; 2020-06-27 at 02:00 PM.

11. - Top - End - #641

Out of curiosity, is Pony Life (legally) available to watch on demand anywhere? (My access to network television is limited.) I looked online and the sources I checked say that it’s only on Discovery Family at the mo, but I don’t know how recently those sources were updated. :-/
    I don't know about the proper episodes, but some Pony Life material is available on Hasbro's official youtube channel if you want a taste of what it's like.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    I don't know about the proper episodes, but some Pony Life material is available on Hasbro's official youtube channel if you want a taste of what it's like.
    Thanks for the tip! I’ll take a look.

Edit: from what I saw, it definitely looks a lot “fluffier” than FIM proper. It didn’t come as a huge surprise: an 11 minute episode can only fit so much after all. I second people’s hopes that the humor is up to snuff.
    Last edited by BlueHamsterBean; 2020-06-28 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Took a look

13. - Top - End - #643
    Barbarian in the Playground

The increasingly elaborate submissions for ATG 2020 meant that I was unable to draw any of the requested pony art yet; they'll probably be done after the ATG is finished, which ends this Saturday IIRC. Have some other pony artwork, which are again all Equestria Girls stuff!

Spoiler: Rainbooms on Motorcycle: Pinkie Pie and Applejack
    Show

Spoiler: ATG2020 continues. Warning: LOTS of images.
    Show

Unus Mundus, Una Veritas, Unum Imperium.

14. - Top - End - #644

Quote Originally Posted by meto30 View Post
    The increasingly elaborate submissions for ATG 2020 meant that I was unable to draw any of the requested pony art yet; they'll probably be done after the ATG is finished, which ends this Saturday IIRC. Have some other pony artwork, which are again all Equestria Girls stuff!

Show

Show

Looks like Celestia let Sunset Shimmer win. Maybe she's looking for an excuse to hang out with a fellow biker or wants to have a hand in guiding Sunset's development? I wonder if she sees a little of herself reflected in her.

I love these drawings. I really appreciate the attention to various details as well; the little ears on Sunset Shimmer's helmet, the drawing of the individual components of the bikes, Celestia's Sol Invicta emblem, the little jewels reflecting the elements of harmony hanging from chains on Twilight's crown.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Orc in the Playground

Show

Show

I’ve been follow along on DeviantArt: it’s been quite the journey.

The shot of Sunset lying stunned in a crater was super evocative. The expression on her face was well chosen and implemented.

It kind of reminds me of something you might see on a Magic card actually: “Exile target creature,” flavor text: “You will never rule in Equestria.”

Also, Pinkie on a motorcycle is deeply unnerving for some reason... you wonder what modifications she has made to that bike.
    Many thanks to Meto30 for sketching this amazing piece of art, and for allowing me to use it as my avatar!

16. - Top - End - #646
    Titan in the Playground

Would have been Barrage convention on Sunday.

Instead, tomorrow is Nanny's funeral.

On the marginal plus side, the wargames club should be tentativel re-opening Monday, so maybe the following week (since, well, confirmation only came today and 1000 pages are not getting printed THIS weekend, for obvious reasons) we can start properly again.

17. - Top - End - #647

I finished tweaking the Shadowtrot document I posted a little while back. I think it's pretty good at this point. Now to wait for any number of pbp games I'm in to complete/end and have the free time to run this...

..."free time" is the right word, yes?

Happens so infrequently. XD

Something I am struggling with: finding a good source of modern/near future maps I can use for encounters. I can even work with building layouts that are clean enough to superimpose a square grid over... it's just that all the useful map making software is built for fantasy dungeons.

There's only so many NPCs living in their parents' basement to justify them. XD
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #648

See if you can just find a decent city map to base everything on. I had one of Des Moines that worked for years until it eventually fell apart.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Orc in the Playground

I finished tweaking the Shadowtrot document I posted a little while back. I think it's pretty good at this point. Now to wait for any number of pbp games I'm in to complete/end and have the free time to run this...

..."free time" is the right word, yes?

Happens so infrequently. XD

Something I am struggling with: finding a good source of modern/near future maps I can use for encounters. I can even work with building layouts that are clean enough to superimpose a square grid over... it's just that all the useful map making software is built for fantasy dungeons.

There's only so many NPCs living in their parents' basement to justify them. XD
    Just read the new and improved Shadowtrot manual. It looks great! I also liked the dialogue you added between Switchblade and Manco about zebras and rhyming, though Manco’s jest may have happened with ill timing. An angry Switchblade is dangerous to see, especially when she well knows your IP.

Free time is worth its weight in gold. I would share some of mine if I could. A shame “time share” is just a turn of phrase. :-/

As for maps, I don’t have a lot to add; sorry. I usually run on Roll20, and just use polygon art and photos of individual objects placed on the generated grid.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

Would it help if I described the campus of BME, the university that I used to attend? I can describe it in a probably useful way to make the setting more lively than a mere map can, admittedly from a biased single point of my view, telling how I think of each of the important buildings. I can link to some maps (schematic map, Google Maps has very high resolution airplane photos, and I have this old thing I made from doodling over Google Maps). The whole thing fits a square grid oriented approximately northwest quite well. The main building is building K, which is really large and quite elaborate, so I can describe its layout as well, plus it has nice professionally-made maps too. But there are twenty other buildings (E, ELTE déli, ELTE északi, I, Q, V2, R, library (Kö on the map), F, Z, V1, H, T, D, J, St, MM/MG, nuclear reactor, EL, Schönhercz dorm, Kármán dorm, Goldmann diner, Stoczek diner) of which I can varying amounts of description. Plus I can fill in the gaps between the buildings with details about the pedestrian routes between them and where people usually arrive from.

(A 2016 post demonstrates my motivation here: I'm not good at mapmaking but I like modern urban environments and so I'm enthusiastic if you want to use one for a role-playing game.)
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2020-07-03 at 05:14 PM.

21. - Top - End - #651

Have you tried searching for supers gaming maps? Those would probably fill the bill. You might be able to find the old d20 Modern ones as well.

I have to admit, there's a ton of fantasy and generic outdoor maps suitable for VTT use online.
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

While doing some research for one of my fanfics I appear to have uncovered a subtle Gen 1 reference the show staff hid in the finale. Recall the artifact that Grogar/Discord was bringing the other Legion of Doom members to stand in for the Bewitching Bell? Well, it turns out the design for that artifact was taken from an object from the Generation 1 series called the Flashstone Amulet, which was the source of power of another Gen 1 villain named Squirk.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

23. - Top - End - #653

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    See if you can just find a decent city map to base everything on.
    Yeah, for a general map of "Seaddle" I am just looking up towns on the west coast to stand in for it. A couple contenders are actually Seattle itself.

Just read the new and improved Shadowtrot manual. It looks great! I also liked the dialogue you added between Switchblade and Manco about zebras and rhyming, though Manco’s jest may have happened with ill timing. An angry Switchblade is dangerous to see, especially when she well knows your IP.
    Yeah, see she... oh. OH. Ha, I just noticed that you... heh heh, well played. XD

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Would it help if I described the campus of BME, the university that I used to attend? I can describe it in a probably useful way to make the setting more lively than a mere map can, admittedly from a biased single point of my view, telling how I think of each of the important buildings.
    The ones you liked are good for general exploring of an area or neighborhood. I can use that if I do a college campus mission. What I am searching for specifically are maps usable for combat. It's very useful for players to have a visual representation of the "battlefield". I've recently gotten a hold of a few decent generic maps I can use from my DM of the Sunday podcast game I play, so I have a start. Someone else pointed out an architectural site with blue prints for a few commercial building layouts. A bit sparse, but better than nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    Have you tried searching for supers gaming maps? Those would probably fill the bill. You might be able to find the old d20 Modern ones as well.

I have to admit, there's a ton of fantasy and generic outdoor maps suitable for VTT use online.
    I found two d20 modern maps of apartment layouts I might be able to use, yeah. Haven't searched for supers so I'll try that.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

24. - Top - End - #654

So apparently "there's a god-damn pandemic" isn't reason enough to skip on too damn many people coming over, so I end up spending my favorite holiday cooped up in my room because I have really bad social anxiety in general.

Then nobody tells me that we're starting on the fireworks. I realize what time it is just in time to barely miss the end of it. Instead of fireworks, I get my uncle waving a lit cigarette in my face while drunkenly ranting about how even though I'm a genius I still have to put up with his crap because I don't have the balls to kick his ass.

It's really minor compared to everything else, but every time there's a big party it's always our house and I'm usually the one that whose enjoyment of the holidays gets ruined by the need to feed and appease the half a dozen people who show up.

Spoiler
    Show

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #655

So apparently "there's a god-damn pandemic" isn't reason enough to skip on too damn many people coming over, so I end up spending my favorite holiday cooped up in my room because I have really bad social anxiety in general.

Then nobody tells me that we're starting on the fireworks. I realize what time it is just in time to barely miss the end of it. Instead of fireworks, I get my uncle waving a lit cigarette in my face while drunkenly ranting about how even though I'm a genius I still have to put up with his crap because I don't have the balls to kick his ass.

It's really minor compared to everything else, but every time there's a big party it's always our house and I'm usually the one that whose enjoyment of the holidays gets ruined by the need to feed and appease the half a dozen people who show up.
    Ugh, what a bunch of selfish douchebags.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, see she... oh. OH. Ha, I just noticed that you... heh heh, well played. XD
    Takes a bow.

Spoiler
    Show

Wow... that’s appallingly thoughtless of them. I hope the week ahead is better at least.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Looks like Celestia let Sunset Shimmer win. Maybe she's looking for an excuse to hang out with a fellow biker or wants to have a hand in guiding Sunset's development? I wonder if she sees a little of herself reflected in her.

I love these drawings. I really appreciate the attention to various details as well; the little ears on Sunset Shimmer's helmet, the drawing of the individual components of the bikes, Celestia's Sol Invicta emblem, the little jewels reflecting the elements of harmony hanging from chains on Twilight's crown.
    Funny enough, you're the first person to have caught what Rainbow Dash was inquiring Celestia about, because as far as seasoned rider Dashie can tell, Celestia let Sunset win. XD I like to think Celestia has multiple reasons to try to become closer to Sunset. She was one of the reasons why Sunset was so untouchable during her reign, and now Celestia feels responsible for Sunset's corruption and wants to play a more active role in Sunset's redemption. Since Sunset now is into motorcycling, Principal Celestia has a way to connect.

Thank you for seeing those! :) I love adding such lore-tinged details in my drawings.

I’ve been follow along on DeviantArt: it’s been quite the journey.

The shot of Sunset lying stunned in a crater was super evocative. The expression on her face was well chosen and implemented.

It kind of reminds me of something you might see on a Magic card actually: “Exile target creature,” flavor text: “You will never rule in Equestria.”

Also, Pinkie on a motorcycle is deeply unnerving for some reason... you wonder what modifications she has made to that bike.
    At this point how can we be certain that bike is even a bike? I for one would not be surprised if that turns out to be an Autobot. :P

The ATG2020 has concluded today. Here's the rest of the pages!
    Spoiler: ATG2020 comes to an end.
    Show

Last edited by meto30; 2020-07-05 at 08:33 AM.
    Unus Mundus, Una Veritas, Unum Imperium.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Orc in the Playground

Funny enough, you're the first person to have caught what Rainbow Dash was inquiring Celestia about, because as far as seasoned rider Dashie can tell, Celestia let Sunset win. XD I like to think Celestia has multiple reasons to try to become closer to Sunset. She was one of the reasons why Sunset was so untouchable during her reign, and now Celestia feels responsible for Sunset's corruption and wants to play a more active role in Sunset's redemption. Since Sunset now is into motorcycling, Principal Celestia has a way to connect.

Thank you for seeing those! :) I love adding such lore-tinged details in my drawings.
    Huh, that makes a lot of sense in retrospect (I feel kinda silly for missing it).

At this point how can we be certain that bike is even a bike? I for one would not be surprised if that turns out to be an Autobot. :P

Show

Haha! It would be like Pinkie to have an interdimensional friend for a motorbike.

As for the end of ATG... that’s one heck of a cliffhanger. I hope the principal will be able to help Sunset sort out her many confusions, anxieties, and very real legal difficulties. Obviously talking to Twilight isn’t going to help her figure out how to take care of herself (too much baggage around her). Well, unless Sunset can be honest with Twi that is.
    Last edited by BlueHamsterBean; 2020-07-06 at 07:12 AM.

29. - Top - End - #659

Show

Sunset Shimmer seems to really want to go back to Equestria, no doubt in part because she really wants to see Twilight again, but she's got some self esteem issues to work out in the coming year. Talking to pony Twilight might help with that. I wonder if she'll make a brief trip back just for that. Though I also wonder if Sunset feels more obligated to stay in the human world because principal Celestia is putting in such effort on her behalf? Could also be that Sunset feels more pressure now, 'cause she feels she should prove herself to principal Celestia too now.

I don't quite understand what Luna and Sunset are referring to. It's like I missed something or don't fully grasp the context. I wonder what Luna told her? That Sunset will graduate is beyond doubt and both of them know that, so I don't think it's about that. Maybe about what lies beyond graduation and the possible splitting up of the mane-7 as they all move on? Interestingly, Luna appears a little cold/distant, but that could just be because she has a more reserved personality. She does seem to care enough about her students and is perceptive enough to notice that Sunset has a thinking spot, though.

I like these. And I like interpreting them. ^^

30. - Top - End - #660

Once Sunset graduates, her 'student visa' goes away. Which means she gets deported back to Equestria. Luna seems to take a less sanguine view of Sunset's activities than her sister also.