New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony C: Friendship Carries On

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Spoiler: S9 E19
    Show
    Alabenson will be back with a proper review sometime later today, right now he's too busy running in circles chanting "its cannon suckers". In any event, I take it he enjoyed it.
    Spoiler: S9 Ep 19
    Show
    that Rarity enjoys using non-union Dragon labor? That's always Canon. :smallgrin:

It's an alright episode. Tabitha basically carries it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler: Details because I like sharring
    Show
    It was set in the Marvel Universe, based mostly but not exclusively on the main comics.

The players would have been teens and adolescents who were orphans, runaways, or otherwise estranged for their parents or guardians and who each had something "special" about their DNA or physiology.

Not just "has powers" but things like "My empathetic abilities are because I'm a mutant who survived the Shi'ar massacre of the Grey Family" or "I am Shapeshifting Demigod" or "a freak accident turned me into a being of living crystallized vibranium" to use some of the examples of players who applied.

And also kidnapped by some facility who was very interested in the secrets in the kid's bodies--the plan was to reveal that the head of the facility was an Apocalypse Cultist who was trying to create a "perfect" vessel as an offering. A body strong enough to hold Apocalypse's indefinitely without burning out from his raw power, and preferable that had abillities that would add to or compliment his own.

The story would have involved the kids escaping after one of them overhears that vivisection is next on the docket, and fleeing into a nearby city... Only to find out that the land the city is on is owned by the man who runs the facility and that basically the entire local government and the service providers were all on his payroll. The PCs would have had to survive in the city, off the grid, long enough to escape, get a message out to the Avengers or the X-Men or something, or take on the facility themselves...

But there'd be a complication: In the same containment area as the PCs would be an OC of mine, an Inhuman Hybrid named Charlotte Webber. Charlotte's power, to the layman, appears to be that she can change into a spider-like humanoid(Yes. She's a spider named Charlotte. Laugh it up.) However, Charlotte's real power is that she absorbs mutagens and contains them in an alternate form.

Drop her in Goblin Formula, for example, and it would have no direct effect on her. Instead, her alternate form would get goblin powers. As a bonus, the mechanics of her absorbing the formula's mutagenic effect means she doesn't go crazy. However, as a trade-off, her alternate form's goblin powers are drastically reduced from the normal effect. This applies to almost every mutagen, excepting Terragen and it's analogs(which affect her like they affect all Inhumans,) the True Super Soldier Serum(effect depends on what else she's absorbed,) and Mothervine(a virus originally from the Ultimate Universe that made it's the way to the main universe. Turns humans into mutants, giving/activating the X-Gene, and gives natural mutants powerful but potentially unstable Secondary Mutations. IT's basically a game of superpowered Russian rulet. Wolfsbane gained longer claws and added a pack of five wolves to her list of forms. Toad got the power to light his tongue on fire. Those are good secondary mutations. Sebastion Shaw, on the other hand, got his energy absortion powers cranked up to the point that he was basically a god... Then accidentally started draining the energy from his own cells and couldn't turn it off, essentially rendering him crippled and condemning himself to a slow and agonizing death.)

During the escape, the PCs and Charlotte would have ended up in a fight with the head of the facility, who himself was a physically imposing mutant, in a lab full of Mutagens--including both Terragen Mist and a sample of Mothervine.

One or both would have been broken and given them an opening to escape as the facility head would be capped by a debilitating secondary mutation, the sudden onset of M-Pox, or both, but Charlotte would have been exposed too and the PCs would have been forced to leave her behind--either she'd have undergone Secondary Terrigensis and her Cocoon would be too big to fit through the door or the mother vine would have Cronenberged her and it would have been too dangerous to grab her as her flaying about and rapidly changing body tried to reconcile her native Inhuman nature with the artificial mutant nature.

Meaning that for the Golden Ending, they'd have to go back and rescue her... Which is easier said than done, because she'd be fitted with a mind-control device and the stronger version of her would be sent after them to recapture them and bring them back to the facility? Every time she's driven off without freeing her from the mind control, they'd experiment with her(now enhanced) powers more and more, making her a bigger and bigger threat every time.

Fail to rescue Charlotte, escape, or call in help enough and eventually the facility head would abandon researching the other kids and decide that the by now heavily modified Charlotte is more than sufficient and make plans o offer her up as a vessel, meaning that the PCS would have had to fight Apocalypse, or, if they really screwed up, a significantly stronger Apocalypse.
    Yikes, fighting Apocalypse? that sounds like a lose-lose proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Pi Pie View Post
    I find it funny that the problem that most people have with S9E18 She Talks to Angel boil down to Fluttershy trying to get carnivores to eat plants.

This is the same universe where Twilight turns a frog into an orange hybrid. It might be possible to create a vegetable -> meat based spell to solve this problem.
    Real world labs figured out how to grow actual meat in vats, so science could totally fix the problem too. ;)
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2019-09-07 at 03:13 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #122
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Yikes, fighting Apocalypse? that sounds like a lose-lose proposition.
    To be fair, that only happens if the PCs continuously screwed up.

"Fail to get the message out to people who can help and fail to rescue Charlotte twelve times" screw up.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh that's neat. so like a prequel timeline!
    Kinda. You see, the setting has three time periods: Before the Pony Empire, The Empire's Reign, and After the Fall. Basically, there was a mare that united the pony tribes and forged a kingdom, which she ruled for centuries (even though regular ponies only live to 70+). However, that long life wasn't everlasting and she passed, but she never got around to naming an heir or having foals of her own, so the advisory council took over and they couldn't keep it together, so the Empire fell. Our campaign is in the first part.

There's also a a goddess, the Sun Queen, that's also a Celestia analogue, but they aren't related. Fun fact, the griffons of the setting also venerate her, but as a male griffon. Theologians and mages confirm they are the same being, but the how and why are as of yet unknown
    Last edited by digiman619; 2019-09-07 at 03:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: S9 E19, Seriously this time
    Show
    I really enjoyed this episode, if my previous post didn't make that already clear.
    As the final that really touches on "Sparity", this is more or less how I pictured the show to deal with it if they didn't want to actually sink the ship. The show was never going to be able to get away with flat out making them a couple onscreen, so the next best thing was to showcase how Rarity has come to feel about Spike, and having that be through jealously at having to compete with somepony else for Spike's time works perfectly with Rarity's character. One of Rarity's single biggest flaws has always been, ironically enough, the fact that she has a major greedy streak, so having her be possessive of her Spikey-Wikey fits perfectly with that. But, beyond simple jealously, the episode shows how close the two have become and how Rarity has come to rely on Spike in many ways, not just as an assistant but as a companion.
    Also, interestingly in this episode Rarity learns a lesson we've seen before with another character in a ship this season seems to be pushing, namely Discord learning the need to share Fluttershy. Coincidence?

Overall, this is another A episode for me.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: S9 Ep 19
    Show
    Tabitha basically carries it.
    She does that a lot.

Show
    I really enjoyed this episode, if my previous post didn't make that already clear.
    As the final that really touches on "Sparity", this is more or less how I pictured the show to deal with it if they didn't want to actually sink the ship. The show was never going to be able to get away with flat out making them a couple onscreen, so the next best thing was to showcase how Rarity has come to feel about Spike, and having that be through jealously at having to compete with somepony else for Spike's time works perfectly with Rarity's character. One of Rarity's single biggest flaws has always been, ironically enough, the fact that she has a major greedy streak, so having her be possessive of her Spikey-Wikey fits perfectly with that. But, beyond simple jealously, the episode shows how close the two have become and how Rarity has come to rely on Spike in many ways, not just as an assistant but as a companion.
    Also, interestingly in this episode Rarity learns a lesson we've seen before with another character in a ship this season seems to be pushing, namely Discord learning the need to share Fluttershy. Coincidence?

Spoiler: S9E19
    Show
    Yeah, I'm glad we got at least this much resolution; they don't seem to want to do anything more direct, which is understandable.
    Last edited by Adderbane; 2019-09-07 at 05:03 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: s9e19
    Show
    Contrary to what might be expected, I was not hugely struck on this episode, as Spike was honestly being kind of a [Richard] for most of it until, like the last ten seconds.

Spike really should know better, honestly. He's actually freaking good at this stuff (see: Best Equestrian Ambassador) and his relationship with Rarity is the closest to anyone bar Twilight; he KNOWS damn well her penchant for hystronics, but here he was apparently clueless. Where was the snout-pinch, weary sigh and cynical wit?

So this whole episode until the last moments felt... wrong. And I was left wit possibly a first for a pony episode, which was the desire to smack Spike upside the head.

(Gabby blowing up also didn't endear her to me; for frack's sake, you can not see your friend for more than a day at a time. It doesn't freaking kill you, and frankly that level of neediness strikes me as stalkerishly creepy. This applies just as equally to romantic interest or spouse. )

Rarity of course, carried the entire episode more or less singled-hoofed, and it was a good job too.

But Pinkie's knowing "ohhh, so that's how it works" though very nearly redeemed the whole episode just by itself, because that delivery was PERFECT.

Back through thread...

Show

Spoiler: s9e19
    Show
    All of which have been fine for me if it didn't seem to like Spike was being fairly out-of-character for a lot of it and being, well, honestly, outright RUDE several times. Haha, they left while Rarity was speaking to them, it's a joke; but for once, it kind of cut through and i didbn't laugh and I just saw it as Being A Dastardly'sFirstName.

So, eh. I suppose that the show didn't shut it down entirely is something to be greatful for (that would have seemed RIDICULOUSLY forced, though).

Again though, that last line of Pinkie's was so pitch-perfect that sod it, I'm almost not mad at all.

It might well be an epsiode I'll enjoy much more on a subsequent sitting, sinc ei know where its going and can enjoy the ride more.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-09-07 at 05:41 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Dang, there's apparently a bucketload of leaks out there. (so, business as usual I guess ) Gonna have to be careful with browsing again!

Here's a relevant topic--how many of us still play Pony-based RPGs? I've been fairly lucky to still participate in a few, though they're not very active at the moment, save for one--the consistent campaign currently is a sort of cyberpunk pony setting using GURPS as the engine.
    I haven't used a pony-based RPG since Roleplaying Is Magic: Season 2 ed. It served us well though, and got us enough to sail off into the sunrise.

Spoiler: Sunrise flying
    Show

It's not pony based, but I've found Apocalypse World works pretty well for Fallout Equestria shenanigans - I just haven't had the time to really delve into what other RPG mechanics might be good for another adventure through Equestria. Anyone have any particular favourites? (and can tell me what they do well/not well?)

I find it funny that the problem that most people have with S9E18 She Talks to Angel boil down to Fluttershy trying to get carnivores to eat plants.

This is the same universe where Twilight turns a frog into an orange hybrid. It might be possible to create a vegetable -> meat based spell to solve this problem.
    I had no problem with that, since it was in the context of animals while they stayed at the sanctuary. I don't think dietary fidelity is that high on what they need to get right for me to enjoy an episode.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Have you read The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett? Its hero, the titular Maurice, has decided that he won't eat rat that can talk. His conscience is haunted by the one time that he ate a talking rat, even though it was honestly not his fault because he didn't realize at that time that talking rats exist at all. Ever since then, whenever he catches a rat, while he plays with it, he gives it a chance to talk. If it can talk, he'd let them get away.

Anyway, it might be somewhat unpleasant to be Fluttershy, who can talk to almost all animals (except maybe vampire fruitbats), living in a world where most ponies don't understand any animals' speech.

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    To be fair, that only happens if the PCs continuously screwed up.

"Fail to get the message out to people who can help and fail to rescue Charlotte twelve times" screw up.
    You give them more credit than I would. XD

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Kinda. You see, the setting has three time periods: Before the Pony Empire, The Empire's Reign, and After the Fall. Basically, there was a mare that united the pony tribes and forged a kingdom, which she ruled for centuries (even though regular ponies only live to 70+). However, that long life wasn't everlasting and she passed, but she never got around to naming an heir or having foals of her own, so the advisory council took over and they couldn't keep it together, so the Empire fell. Our campaign is in the first part.
    Sounds good. I once touched on a Before the empire Idea. Basically Queen Platinum reigning over a just recently united pony empire and trying to keep it together. She has a daughter which is the Celestia stand-in. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Adderbane View Post
    She does that a lot.
    Indeed, and as I look back I think a bunch of her episodes would be pretty flat without her.

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Dang, there's apparently a bucketload of leaks out there. (so, business as usual I guess ) Gonna have to be careful with browsing again!
    Yeah, I've stumbled accidentally over a few of them. People just too lazy to label their spoilers.

It's not pony based, but I've found Apocalypse World works pretty well for Fallout Equestria shenanigans - I just haven't had the time to really delve into what other RPG mechanics might be good for another adventure through Equestria. Anyone have any particular favourites? (and can tell me what they do well/not well?)
    I never had a Go-To system until D&D 5e came out. That is the system I reach for first when I write up a campaign idea for ponies. The mechanics cover just about all the high-fantasy I want without being too complicated. Took a while to write up the pony races, but I just copied some of the ideas from existing races WotC published and that made it easier.

I haven't found a good system for Fallout Equestria. AW I guess could work, but I tried it and didn't like the mechanics myself. In the FoE game I'm in the system is based on some sort of % system, but it really lacks. At low levels your party is gonna fail most things, and there aren't any perform skills if you wanted to make a bard or such. Everything is geared towards fighting more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Anyway, it might be somewhat unpleasant to be Fluttershy, who can talk to almost all animals (except maybe vampire fruitbats), living in a world where most ponies don't understand any animals' speech.
    At least she doesn't worry about eating them.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

At least she doesn't worry about eating them.
    Yes. She worries about when other ponies hurt them. Like the Maneiac in S4 E6 "Power Ponies", or the Apple family in S4 E7 "Bats", or the winter wrap up ponies in S1 E11.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

I also run Warhammer 40K / My Little Pony toon games. It is strange how well the two universes overlap. Even worse when there are times that My Little Pony seems more grimdark than Warhammer 40K.
    Well, that's what happened when adult overthink about children's cartoons.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

I haven't found a good system for Fallout Equestria. AW I guess could work, but I tried it and didn't like the mechanics myself. In the FoE game I'm in the system is based on some sort of % system, but it really lacks. At low levels your party is gonna fail most things, and there aren't any perform skills if you wanted to make a bard or such. Everything is geared towards fighting more than anything else.
    I tried a % based FoE one as well. It sounds similar in that it was pretty much geared for combat/hacking etc. like the game. It almost felt that you had to hit level 12 or something before you were combat effective, and things before that could end with you dead on a bad roll.

13. - Top - End - #133

I tried a % based FoE one as well. It sounds similar in that it was pretty much geared for combat/hacking etc. like the game. It almost felt that you had to hit level 12 or something before you were combat effective, and things before that could end with you dead on a bad roll.
    Yeah, sounds like the system I been using. The less I have to mess with die rolling and skill checks, the better off I've been.
    And we've been at this game for five-and-a-half years. Yet in-game it's only been about... three weeks? Yeah, pacing is a bit off.

But on the other hoof, it is the game where I got my main OC from. So gotta pay respects for that.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Commander (and others), I recommend reading The Long Con. I think it will appeal to many of your favorite themes, and it is a short read at 4200 words.

Spoiler: The Long Con
    Show
    The only downside is Starlight not following the Evil Overlord Handbook and giving a monologue, but that is to be expected. I like the idea of Twilight as a master planner similar to a high level D&D wizard who builds multiple levels of contingencies while still having a potentially normal life. I would like to see that explored more often.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

That feeling when, after a policy change to board you've been posting all your releases on for the last six years that board was actively trying to hide, you put a post up on both of the Facebook groups to tell about said policy chance since you only learned about it chance and you discover that your target audience's responses are almost unilaterally (like bar one person) was "that place was crap, I left years ago," and you follow their recommendations to another board and immediately get more responses to your massive, massive wall of text on the elenthnar than you got more or less at all for any invidual thread on said previous board and realise you've probably been wasting your time for SIX. YEARS.

(Wonder what kind of response I'll get tomorrow when I post same to Shipyards Facebook...)

Commander (and others), I recommend reading The Long Con. I think it will appeal to many of your favorite themes, and it is a short read at 4200 words.

Show
    The only downside is Starlight not following the Evil Overlord Handbook and giving a monologue, but that is to be expected. I like the idea of Twilight as a master planner similar to a high level D&D wizard who builds multiple levels of contingencies while still having a potentially normal life. I would like to see that explored more often.
    I apparently read it at the time, but...

Show
    ... (and I had to find my comment to remember what it was) the abrupt reversal at the end killed any enjoyment I had of out it (which I had been giggling at, apparently), so it didn't even get a like. (Boy, did that comment get a fair few downvotes. It wasn't even as if I was impolite, and I only said that I wasn't going to give it a favourite, and that I knew I was going to be in the minority.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-09-12 at 08:06 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I just read The Long Con, and loved it. I truly did not see that coming, and yet it fits perfectly. Enemy of my enemy indeed...

17. - Top - End - #137

Spoiler: S9 Ep 20 A Horse Shoe-In
    Show
    I had cheated and watched the leak of this about a month back. And then again watched it earlier this morning. Yeah, I liked this one (was probably obvious, you know?) though I'll be fair and dock a point since the lesson here is really a rehash of All Bottled Up for Starlight. You gotta tell your friends how you really feel! *WINK WINK*

"Why are you saying WINK out loud?"

Speaking of fair, although Trixie messed up the first test badly, she had merit in the other two tests. Standing up to a student's uncaring parent is rather nice of her to do, and the idea to bring a field trip to the classroom sounds like a pretty neat thing to do when you are a magical unicorn in a magic school. Maybe the trip didn't end well cause of the bees, but I mean everyone fails a Perception check once in a while. And of course, Trixie being Trixie is fun, yet underneath the boasting she does act with good intentions. You just have to be firm and steer her a bit. Work on those rough edges and she could totally be a great B Team element bearer. Yeah, shame they did create Starlight when Trixie really could of held that character position and shined like a star.

Heh, props for seeing Doctor Whooves again. Silly time travel chair. XD
    Overall it's a pretty solid episode and fun. Maybe not best of the season, but for sure near the upper ranks.

Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: New Episode
    Show
    Starlight and Trixie learn about the magic of Nepotism! Overall, I think Trixie came out a bit cringier than she normally does which left a sour note, but overall I'm happy with this episode. She did do a good job chewing out the old griffon for his attitude. It's nice to see Octavia and the doctor again too. I was expecting Trixie to volunteer Maud for the job since she's near Ponyville now, but Sunburst works too. Can't believe there's less than a month of MLP left now...

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: A Horse-Shoe In
    Show
    I thought this was definitely a completely solid episode. The humor was largely on point, the lesson was a good one, and it even managed to tie into the season's meta-plot. Granted, the episode was a touch predictable in places, but it didn't detract from the overall enjoyability of the episode

Overall, I'd give it a B+

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

And my barely over a year-old SD card reader dropped dead between today and yesterday. Fantastic.

Spoiler: s9e20
    Show
    Eh. 'slright.

Trixe was the best part of this episode, but everything else seemed... Bland. (Aside from the comical idea of making the Clearly Still Evil cult-leader the headmare of a school.)

Trixie is getting GOOD at magic, that teleportation was actually pretty darn impressive if you thunk about it.

I also question how Trixie is worse than, say Dash in the position.

Nice to Dr Hooves and Octavia getting a bit of time (Spoiled I could do without); as the show seems to be giving everyone one last hurrah, I do have tpo ask why Diamond has been practically unseen since season five...

A very middle of the road sort of episode; no real complaints, but nothing to write home about.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-09-14 at 08:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Trixie as the new student councillor? Oh boy, those students are gonna be sooo messed up by the end of their run.

I enjoyed the episode. It felt familiar, yet still entertaining. RIP Phyllis.

22. - Top - End - #142

Quote Originally Posted by Adderbane View Post
    Spoiler: New Episode
    Show
    Starlight and Trixie learn about the magic of Nepotism!
    Spoiler: S9 Ep20
    Show
    Frankly that seems to be such an accepted way to do thing in Equestria that maybe it is by Celestia's design to ensure everyone has friends.

Chessmaster.

Spoiler: A Horse-Shoe In
    Show
    and it even managed to tie into the season's meta-plot.
    Show
    I can believe Starlight as headmare of a school more than Twilight as ruler of a country. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    And my barely over a year-old SD card reader dropped dead between today and yesterday. Fantastic.

Show
    Trixie is getting GOOD at magic, that teleportation was actually pretty darn impressive if you thunk about it.

I also question how Trixie is worse than, say Dash in the position.

I do have to ask why Diamond has been practically unseen since season five...
    Wow, they really don't make tech like they used to. Dead at just over a year old? Let me guess, the warranty was only good for 12 months?

Show
    What makes Trixie possibly more amazing at magic than Twilight or Starlight is that Trixie doesn't sit over old books to learn spells. She just watches other unicorns do them and then copy their moves. Maybe she's not as powerful as those other two, but she's a fast learner.

Because Dash doesn't know Teleportation magic and how to turn everything into teacups?

Redemption equals Put on a Bus?

Show
    Trixie as the new student councillor? Oh boy, those students are gonna be sooo messed up by the end of their run.

RIP Phyllis.
    Show
    Can't be worse than Starlight coddling them all. :3

Time for plant necromancy!
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #143
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

The author of my favorite currently updating fanfic apparently is getting a bit discouraged. If you like it, please make sure to let him know: Sigil of Souls, Stream of Memories.

It's an Equestria Girls fic (so, human characters and Sunset Shimmer), and an alternate universe. The plot is an epic fantasy adventure, and while the world situation after the prologue is very dark, the story is headed in a strongly hopeful and positive direction. Some patience may be needed, the main characters have backgrounds from widely scattered places and it takes a while to bring them all together. Oh, and Sunset's villainous traits get shown much better (in my opinion) and more thoroughly than in Equestria Girls.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

So another My Little Pony in Legend of Galactic Heroes.
    Spoiler: Rarity as Reinhard and Twilight as Kircheis
    Show

Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, they really don't make tech like they used to. Dead at just over a year old? Let me guess, the warranty was only good for 12 months?
    Surprisingly, no. I contacted the seller (I get stuff from Amazon for exactly this reason) and they said that is was a two-year warrenty and they're sending me a replacement. It's coming direct from their factory (which I surmise may be German, from the looks of their email), so they said it might take a bt longer than amazon to get there, but can't complain, given as they got back to me this morning (Monday).

I do have the emergancy back-up (after last time...) so it's not as catastrophic as it might have been,

26. - Top - End - #146

Spoiler: S9 Ep21 Daring Whatevs
    Show
    Ehhhh, what? Was this plot taken from someone's fanfic? The villain turnabouts for friendship felt so ham-fistedly forced. Like, wasn't there an episode where Ahuizotl was going to scorch the jungle with a heat curse? If Ahuizotl was just guarding artifacts, why not say something in one of his monologues? Maybe Dr. Caballeron could come around to being a better pony, if he had any redeemable aspects hinted at before.

The pony gargoyle statues were the one neat idea of the whole episode. Meh, whatever. I'm going back to washing laundry. This episode couldn't hold my interest.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: S9 E21
    Show
    I have mixed feelings about this one.
    To be honest, this episode had a great deal working against it, starting with Caballeron's plan, which was just an obvious retread of the last Daring Do episode, which Rainbow Dash even lamp shaded. The fact that it actually looked like it was working just strained the episodes credibility even further, since that level of gullibility is a bit much even for the denizens of Equestria. Regarding the reformation of Caballeron and his minions, however, I'm a little more lenient. Fluttershy is the pony who reformed Discord, after all, so the idea that she could help Caballeron find a change of heart is at least somewhat credible, and to the episode's credit it does strongly hint that he's still a greedy jerk at heart, just not as unremittingly evil now.
    The last minute reformation of Ahuizotl, on the other hand, was a major sour note for me. Its one thing to convince the evil greedy thief into being just a regular greedy thief, but trying to retcon the mustache-twirlingly evil as a put-upon guardian of ancient ruins is a much harder pill to swallow. This is the same character who tried placing a horrible curse upon the area he's now supposedly been the guardian of and has repeatedly put Daring Do into Bond-villainesque deathtraps. This is the same problem I had with the attempted "reformation" of Garble; the episode is trying to force a retcon that just doesn't fit with the previous appearances of the character.

On the whole, I'd probably give this episode a C. It might have worked passably well if they hadn't crammed Ahuizotl's reformation in as well, but that just brought the whole episode down.

My Homebrew

Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Daring <INSERT 'DO' PREFIXED TEXT HERE>
    Show
    Meh. Premise had potential.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

So, at Chill Con today (we only went as punters), I sawa whole load of hardcopy Tales of Equestria stuff. I was going to to take a picture, but, of course, my camera had a card error. (To go with all the OTHER stream of endless tech failures this week.)

Spoiler: s9e21
    Show
    Wow. It's not often you see four character assassinations in one go, is it?

WOW, that was a bad episode.

Let's start with the show making Fluttershy smug and righetous, reducing Dash to basically a sidekick who was only there to underline that Fluttershy Is Right. I started out thinking that Fluttershy acting so inaffably stupid was becasue the writer hated her, but clearly the oppsosite is true, since Fluttershy Is Always Right, apparently. It's quite an acheivement for the show to make me want tp punch Fluttershy right in the face,, but damn, show if you haven't managed it with that sanctomonious tone.

(Actually, the writer would be a better target, I'd say she ought to know better , but apparently despite being behind Cozy Glow and having done writing for Young Justice, she hasn't done a lot of actually stellar episodes...)

Yeah, SURE Ahuizotl is not a bad guy, he totally never tried to start an 800-hundred year drought and has clearly never ALSO been stealing artefacts this entire time, has he? Oh, wait.

No, no, the midpoint which was adventure was tolerable, but the start and finish of this episode was just bad.

The sheer gall of the character assassination plus... What is the REVERSE of world-building? Since this episode actually basically permenantly ensured the end of Daring Do's adventure's pretty much? Makes me very much inclined to label this as probably one of, if not the, worst episode of pony, period.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: S9E21
    Show
    I agree with basically everyone else.

There is potential for Caballeron to be reformed or at the very least not evil. I forget the fan fiction, but it involved Daring Do competing against Caballeron. But at the end they had to work together to escape the dungeon. They eventually decided to have a friendly rivalry.

Ahuizotl though just came out of nowhere.

I was looking through LittleshyFIM's video log of Bronycon 2019. It makes me sad that there will not be another one and is just another sign of the end of Generation 4.

Anyone hear anything about My Little Pony Generation 5 yet?