New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony C: Friendship Carries On

Spoiler: S9 E23
    Show
    So, the show confirmed Octavia x Bulk Biceps. I can ship it.
    In all seriousness, though, I thought this was a great episode. The humor was mostly on point, the callback to The Perfect Pear was done beautifully, and capping off Big Mac / Sugar Belle's relationship was a nice thread to tie up before the finale. In particular, I thought this was a great use of Discord, whose character can be very hit or miss depending on the writer. I also have to give props to the writers for the Star Trek nod in Granny's dream.

Overall, I'd give this episode a solid A.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

2. - Top - End - #182
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Show
    In all seriousness, though, I thought this was a great episode. The humor was mostly on point, the callback to The Perfect Pear was done beautifully, and capping off Big Mac / Sugar Belle's relationship was a nice thread to tie up before the finale. In particular, I thought this was a great use of Discord, whose character can be very hit or miss depending on the writer. I also have to give props to the writers for the Star Trek nod in Granny's dream.

Spoiler: S9 Ep23
    Show
    Yeah, mostly in agreement. It was fun and amusing. I like how Spike burned the desserts. Rather answered a question I had about his Sending ability. XD

Granny's dream was a trip.

Big Mac and Sugar Belle are a cute couple. I'm happy for them. Interesting the ring was just used as a necklace charm .Not a horn ring? Or... maybe a wide hoop for the hoof? Like, why a ring at all then? I guess the show artists didn't want to confuse the target audience?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: s9e23
    Show
    Ah, there we go, bit more back onto a roll, again.

Is it bad that the last couple of good episodes have been ones with a) the CMC and b) no Mane or replacement Six...?

Discord, Still A Tiny Bit Evil Kinda.

I think Granny stole the show here, with the whole Grandpear thing. (Which is, I suspect, the closest we'll get to having William Shatner back, but that's okay!)

Hoo boy, though, I'll bet few ships have been torpedoed, though... (One suspects more will be peeved as the implication of something OTHER Vinyl and Octavia...!)

We have not had nearly enough CMC this season, sadly.

Show

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Spoiler: S9 Ep23
    Show
    Yeah, mostly in agreement. It was fun and amusing. I like how Spike burned the desserts. Rather answered a question I had about his Sending ability. XD

Granny's dream was a trip.

Big Mac and Sugar Belle are a cute couple. I'm happy for them. Interesting the ring was just used as a necklace charm .Not a horn ring? Or... maybe a wide hoop for the hoof? Like, why a ring at all then? I guess the show artists didn't want to confuse the target audience?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I thought that was a bit odd - one feels they COULD have not had a ring because Target Audience Wouldn't Understand Otherwise ('cos they would have) and as if was, it seemed... Wierd.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-10-06 at 11:50 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I thought that was a bit odd - one feels they COULD have not had a ring because Target Audience Wouldn't Understand Otherwise ('cos they would have) and as if was, it seemed... Wierd.
    Spoiler: S9 Ep 23
    Show
    More generally, there are several aesthetics in pony architecture that seem fine if they were bipedal, but not so much a quadruped with hooves. Round door knobs for example. Like, okay I can see the animation crew not spending time engineering a horse-friendly door knob, because this is just a little kid';s show meant to sell merch, but in-universe I always felt those were invented by a really salty unicorn. XD
    Digo Dragon - Artist

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: S9 Ep 23
    Show
    More generally, there are several aesthetics in pony architecture that seem fine if they were bipedal, but not so much a quadruped with hooves. Round door knobs for example. Like, okay I can see the animation crew not spending time engineering a horse-friendly door knob, because this is just a little kid';s show meant to sell merch, but in-universe I always felt those were invented by a really salty unicorn. XD
    Well, about that, Digo.

The show isn't consistent about hooves' capability either.
    Last edited by t209; 2019-10-07 at 05:36 PM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Good job Microsoft! Just on the eve of me going to London for four days to Kew, the Natural History and Imperial War Museums, and having talked to my mate and decided I need to write-up and fix WEAPONS in the 3.Aotrs (and I was winning too!), I come to find that you asshats have broken the start menu on today's update.

HOW DO YOU EVEN?!

7. - Top - End - #187

Wow, I've never seen a lich blow themselves into orbit before...

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Good job Microsoft! Just on the eve of me going to London for four days to Kew, the Natural History and Imperial War Museums, and having talked to my mate and decided I need to write-up and fix WEAPONS in the 3.Aotrs (and I was winning too!), I come to find that you asshats have broken the start menu on today's update.

HOW DO YOU EVEN?!
    Tech has not been kind to me either this week; one of the clients I'm responsible for managed to get ransomware on all over their servers.

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    The show isn't consistent about hooves' capability either.
    I had given in to that and my headcanon is that earthpony hooves have human finger superpowers. Like the unicorn's Ponykinesis, but when touching something.

Best explanation I got.

Microsfot probably heard you mention at some point "don't get me started" and took it literally.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

I had given in to that and my headcanon is that earthpony hooves have human finger superpowers. Like the unicorn's Ponykinesis, but when touching something.

Best explanation I got.
    My theory is that the bottoms of a pony's hooves have similar structures to a gecko's foot, allowing them to grab things. Or they're Pinkie Pie

In less amusing news, someone decided to slash one of my tires last night. Thankfully I have a tire center near my house (literally on my route to work, no less) so I was only 40 minutes late, but not a great way to start my day.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Show

11. - Top - End - #191

Could be worse. You could have a slashed tire and need to change it in six inches of wet snow.

Always look on the sunny side of life...

12. - Top - End - #192

My theory is that the bottoms of a pony's hooves have similar structures to a gecko's foot, allowing them to grab things. Or they're Pinkie Pie
    I've heard that one as well and it's equally valid. Given the limited scenes such a thing happened, my headcanon is that only earthponies can do this (makes sense at least with unicorns, who just magic everything).

In less amusing news, someone decided to slash one of my tires last night.
    Ugh, I hate vandals. I hope whoever did it gets theirs from karma.

I watched the last three episodes early. My thoughts.
    Spoiler: S9 Ep 24 & 25, The End
    Show
    So the Mean3 use the bell to power themselves up and prep their betrayal. Tirek gets more muscles, Cozy gets alicorn'd, and Chryssi gets... an outfit? Uh, okay. sure. Grogar shows up with another artifact and the three drain his powers. Annnd then plot twist. It's... Discord? The whole time? Ugh. See, at first when we get the Discord reveal, I thought it was a clever call back--Discord, if you remember, can sense Tirek's magic. I thought he went in disguise to infiltrate the Mean3. Maybe he wanted to attempt to make friends and turn them to the good side. From one former villain to another still-villain. But... it's not. It was Discord the whole time.

In the words of Jerry Seinfeld: "Why? Why? Wa-why? Why? Why? Why would you do this?"

This is by far the single most disappointment I have in the two-parter. As a fan of the original G1 series, I was looking forward to Grogar being the penultimate "Final Boss" for the series. The Mean3 had almost figured out the real power of friendship in an earlier episode. Would have been a neat thing that they help save the world in the end. Ah well.

Anyway, so there's a funny scene with Cozy trying to use Discord's magic and failing, but since she can't, they just keep it in the bell and the trio go off with their new powers to cause chaos and exact revenge. Tirek pretty much curb-stomps the older guardians. Trixie and Starlight made a pretty good plan to evac the school. And Starlight had a pretty good plan going with teleporting herself with Chrysalis to some far off remote place. Props for that idea. Finally Cozy Glow attacks Canterlot castle. Annnd of course Celestia & Luna get depowered almost immediately. 9_9 Princesses are useless.

Opposite that, I want to say I enjoyed the fight sequence the Mane6 have with Cozy. There's teamwork, clever ploys, Spike gets a few shots with fire breath. They ultimately lose, but they were holding her down for a while. A for effort. The other two baddies show up and everyone does the sacrificial thing so Twilight can escape. Alone. Another sigh. I guess the writers don't know that Twilight could teleport others with herself. Like, practically could have gotten out with the Mane 6+1.

We pick back up with the Mean3 holding everyone prison. Windigos are showing up (nice call back and info from Tirek). Discord hatches an actually clever plan to cause a jail-break (and did he just reference the comic series? Neat). This causes everyone to get freed and the Mane5+1 escape. Nice! So they go off looking for Twilight and find the three tribes distrusting each other thanks to Chrysalis' earlier work. Dang, ponies are easily manipulated... well, it was Chrysalis. I mean, if anyone could do this kind of damage with words... anyway, they find Twi at the Crystal Empire and she's... just being useless. Really? This is the second biggest disappointment. So many rehashes of this idea that Twi doesn't know what to do and needs a friendship pep-talk.

And at the end of the talk they make a Pinkey & The Brain reference. O.M.G. That was pretty damn clever. Love it!

So Twi teleports everyone back to Canterlot (Sigh) and they do the thing to get the bell from the Mean3. Short fight that ends in Spike's capture and cliche' villain moment, but then everyone comes to the rescue! This was probably the best part of the two parter. The students of the school convince the adults to band together again, we get changelings and Yaks and... huh, Fizzlepop in the background. And the cat. Too bad they were just... "there". But still, this was like, seven times better than the Battle of the Five Armies. So we got a huge battle with flying, magic lazers, crazy antics. This is what I'm talking about! Twilight does her speech and the trio of baddies get Rainbow Cannon'd by Equestria's final form Super-Ultra-Mega Friendship Beam. Wow. And then a giant cupcake lands on them. Uh... what?

Ah. Pinkie. With Discords powers. Uh... o_o
    (that was both funny and scary).

What gets me is how they end this with the villains. Celestia and Luna take discord's idea and turn the three to stone. Uh... okay. I guess that's effective for 1000 years, but... didn't Discord hint long ago that you're still aware of your surroundings? Damn, that's pretty metal. I'm not knocking the results. Just... wow. They went there. Finally we end on the our heroes eating donuts. Kinda reminds me of the Shwarma scene at the end of Avengers 1. It's cute and... yeah, I like it. Felt like a nice wrap up.

Overall it was pretty good. B+ I'll say. Had two really annoying spots that just got my goat (sadly, lacking Grogar), but the rest of it carried to the end pretty well; action, some jokes, a couple last-minute worldbuilding points... Guess those three won't be redeemed after all. They're future Equestria's problem.

Spoiler: S9 Ep26, Final Problem
    Show
    This episode felt like a fanfic. It's the future and they show off what everyone's doin' in the future and add some flashbacks to the coronation going terrible... YAWN. It goes by real fast so we don't get to really get a detailed sense for what happened in the passing years. Just bits of "Hey, Trixie is still working at the school" and "Hey, Big Mac has a family". They're like bullet points. Might have been better just focusing on a select few characters. Like, focus on Pinkie being a mom. That begged a few questions in my head. Or maybe take a page from Adventure Time and you have completely new set of friends way in the future talk about the Mane6 as legends. Maybe? I dunno, just a thought. It's a take-it-or-leave-it episode and I'd definitely leave it.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2019-10-12 at 11:44 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: S9 Ep26, Final Problem
    Show
    This episode felt like a fanfic. It's the future and they show off what everyone's doin' in the future and add some flashbacks to the coronation going terrible... YAWN. It goes by real fast so we don't get to really get a detailed sense for what happened in the passing years. Just bits of "Hey, Trixie is still working at the school" and "Hey, Big Mac has a family". They're like bullet points. Might have been better just focusing on a select few characters. Like, focus on Pinkie being a mom. That begged a few questions in my head. Or maybe take a page from Adventure Time and you have completely new set of friends way in the future talk about the Mane6 as legends. Maybe? I dunno, just a thought. It's a take-it-or-leave-it episode and I'd definitely leave it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If G5 wasn't going to be a more-or-less reboot like leaked stuff seems to imply, having the new Mane 6 be reading about the G4 Mane 6 would have been amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: The End
    Show
    Its over...

Overall, the Finale was acceptable I think, which is good. I actually liked Discord being Grogar, but I think that his motivation for doing so could've been better, maybe trying to subtly trying teach the Mane3 friendship or something. The only two quibbles I have with things are Cadance and Shining getting shafted AGAIN (seriously, why not just add them to the final battle?!), and turning the villains to stone feels off.

I appreciated Sunset Shimmer in the final song!

Can't believe it's over...

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

It's the end, my friends. The end.

Spoiler: Ep24-25
    Show
    Well that was an episode and a half! As always, feel it could've been twice the runtime ... but wow. They really pulled out every stop in this finale. All the armies, all the callbacks ... I just wanted more of everything. More time spent on the pillars fighting, more time rallying the other nations, more time for the movie characters turning up again. More Discord being a twit (actually, I think there was enough of that )

More of Starlight and her surprisingly sassy/effective battle banter. More of the princesses fighting together while de-powered.

More eldritch amazingness from the Pink One. (When that cupcake splatted them I laughed out loud).

I can settle for the statuary sentence on the Villain 3 - I was hoping they'd end up in the moon.

I think the lesson was a good one - don't write off the soft power of the School of Friendship so fast next time Twi. Fear drives ponies apart, but pulling together despite it is what gets stuff done. And you laid the groundwork for that seasons ago.

I also appreciated how each of the villains occasionally had smart ideas (like Cosy's "why don't we just kill them"? and Tirek's "We should probably stop the windigos"), but they kept getting in each other's way and stopping anyone from acting on it.

Overall, I think it was a good finale. I'll have to get some time to rewatch soon and see what I missed.

Spoiler: Ep26
    Show
    And this was an unexpected time jump. I spent most of the remaining time trying to keep a track of all the call-forwards.

I'm calling canon on Fluttercord, Appledash and Yonabar. Just wonder what happened to Rarity to take her to Yakyakistan.

I'm glad they all ended up happy.

It's been a good journey. And a fitting end

PS: Spike - you got ripped man.

I watched the last three episodes early. My thoughts.
    Spoiler: S9 Ep 24 & 25, The End
    Show
    So the Mean3 use the bell to power themselves up and prep their betrayal. Tirek gets more muscles, Cozy gets alicorn'd, and Chryssi gets... an outfit? Uh, okay. sure. Grogar shows up with another artifact and the three drain his powers. Annnd then plot twist. It's... Discord? The whole time? Ugh. See, at first when we get the Discord reveal, I thought it was a clever call back--Discord, if you remember, can sense Tirek's magic. I thought he went in disguise to infiltrate the Mean3.

In the words of Jerry Seinfeld: "Why? Why? Wa-why? Why? Why? Why would you do this?"

This is by far the single most disappointment I have in the two-parter. As a fan of the original G1 series, I was looking forward to Grogar being the penultimate "Final Boss" for the series. The Mean3 had almost figured out the real power of friendship in an earlier episode. Would have been a neat thing that they help save the world in the end. Ah well.

Anyway, so there's a funny scene with Cozy trying to use Discord's magic and failing, but since she can't, they just keep it in the bell and the trio go off with their new powers to cause chaos and exact revenge. Tirek pretty much curb-stomps the older guardians. Trixie and Starlight made a pretty good plan to evac the school. And Starlight had a pretty good plan going with teleporting herself with Chrysalis to some far off remote place. Props for that idea. Finally Cozy Glow attacks Canterlot castle. Annnd of course Celestia & Luna get depowered almost immediately. 9_9 Princesses are useless.

Opposite that, I want to say I enjoyed the fight sequence the Mane6 have with Cozy. There's teamwork, clever ploys, Spike gets a few shots with fire breath. They ultimately lose, but they were holding her down for a while. A for effort. The other two baddies show up and everyone does the sacrificial thing so Twilight can escape. Alone. Another sigh. I guess the writers don't know that Twilight could teleport others with herself. Like, practically could have gotten out with the Mane 6+1.

-snip-

Overall it was pretty good. B+ I'll say. Had two really annoying spots that just got my goat (sadly, lacking Grogar), but the rest of it carried to the end pretty well; action, some jokes, a couple last-minute worldbuilding points... Guess those three won't be redeemed after all. They're future Equestria's problem.

Spoiler: s24-25
    Show
    While I agree that Twilight's ten minute retirement is a well trod path. I thought the Discord thing made a bit of sense after the fact (although it still caught me by surprise). I mean, he totally was standing ready to take down Sombra in the opening episodes if things got out of hoof.

I think he had the same plan for the finale, he just didn't count on getting belled. (I like to think that he had some contingency against Tirek just draining him again.)

It also explains "Grogar's" odd insistence on rounding up all these other villains and encouraging them to work together. Was always wondering what was in it for him to recruit them all since he was powerful enough in his own right to be a main villain.

Edit: It also explains why he didn't "sense" Tirek draining ponies earlier. He was in on it all along!

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by Adderbane View Post
    Spoiler: The End
    Show
    The only two quibbles I have with things are Cadance and Shining getting shafted AGAIN (seriously, why not just add them to the final battle?!), and turning the villains to stone feels off.

Can't believe it's over...
    Spoiler: The end
    Show
    Princesses are useless in Equestria. Getting shafted seems to be part of the job description (Even Twi got captured a few times since taking up the wings).

I'm actually glad it's over. My love for the show had waned a long while back. I think a lot of that loss is due to not having a Saturday Morning lineup of cartoons to watch. Like, way back in season 2 watching the show on The Hub was fun because there were other decent cartoons surrounding Pony and The Hub itself did a decent hype campaign for it. It was like having a second childhood and even some of my fellow adult friends would sit and watch the various shows like Aquabats and Transformers Prime along with Pony. But after the Hub was ended for Discovery Fam, it didn't feel the same. And then cartoons ended and eventually I ended my cable subscription and just watched Pony from online streams... yeah it just wasn't the same.

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Show
    While I agree that Twilight's ten minute retirement is a well trod path. I thought the Discord thing made a bit of sense after the fact (although it still caught me by surprise). I mean, he totally was standing ready to take down Sombra in the opening episodes if things got out of hoof.

I think he had the same plan for the finale, he just didn't count on getting belled. (I like to think that he had some contingency against Tirek just draining him again.)

It also explains "Grogar's" odd insistence on rounding up all these other villains and encouraging them to work together. Was always wondering what was in it for him to recruit them all since he was powerful enough in his own right to be a main villain.

Edit: It also explains why he didn't "sense" Tirek draining ponies earlier. He was in on it all along!
    Show
    Grogar's odd insistence of rounding up other villains to work together could also be genre savvy. After all, Friendship is the most powerful form of magic. Cozy glow figured that out. Grogar could have as well. He even says as much when he rounded them all together--apart not one of them succeeded in defeating Equestria. Together they stand a chance. I remember Grogar from G1 and I could see him being a really good final battle when properly powered up. It being Discord this whole time just felt like it was a really bad plan. And it turned out that it was.

Having it be the Mean3 instead as the final villains was okay, but it feels like their previous episode working together and almost figuring out real friendship was for nothing.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

*Sigh* looks like again, for no discernible reason, i'm unable to watch an entire episode. Any access to Episode 22 this season just flat out doesn't exist, paid or otherwise.

i don't get why it's only specific episodes. This one and the pinkie-pie at the laugh-factory i can't see, but every other one is fine apparently.

aand of course the meleparty link for episode 23 on equestria daily ain't working either. lovely
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Colossus in the Playground

It's over

The appledash shippers won.

We campaigned long and hard. We fought on the forums and on the reddit threads. We fought in the deviantart comments and the youtube comments. We fought on the internet and the dreaded irl. We gave our utmost. Every one of you is a hero. I look into your eyes and see the spirit of Sparta lives there still.

And yet, as your leader, it falls to me to deliver the unthinkable news, words I never thought I'd say: we have been defeated.

I know each of you is filled with the same despair as I, the same sense of rage and betrayal - how could it come to this? I can see that each of you would fight on for another ten years should I ask you, and another ten besides! But I shall not ask this of you, noble comrades. Now it is time for us to leave this desolate landscape. This broken, ruined field has nothing for us any longer. We will gather our tumblrs, our shipfics, and our r34 folders. We will spread our wings with the beautiful synchronicity that now lives only in our hearts. And we will find foreign lands, untouched by the war. We will find new ships, yea! New and even greater! And we will rebuild! We will arise from the ashes! We will gather our strength, reforged in darkness and defeat, and WHEN THE GLORIOUS DAY THAT GENERATION FIVE COMES AT LAST WE WILL BE READY! WE WILL BE UNITED! DRUNK AND DECADENT IN VICTORY, THE APPLEDASH SHIPPERS WILL NOT BE PREPARED FOR OUR ARRIVAL, AND WE WILL RETURN IN THUNDER AND LIGHTNING! THEY MAY TRY TO FORGET US BUT THE SCARS WE LEAVE WILL BE ETERNAL AND ON THAT TERRIBLE DAY THEIR CANON WILL NOT PROTECT THEM! THEY WILL REMEMBER US WHEN OUR WARCRY HERALDS THE COMING OF THE STORM!

F L U T T E R D A S H
    O! T! P!
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-10-14 at 03:27 AM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

well, i'm all caught up. That sure was an adventure h'uh?

wouldn't mind a few slice of life shorts set in the future just to see how things are going. but that's probably unlikely.

Spoiler: ep 26
    Show
    Honestly "Little cheese" was probably the biggest shock out of the batch. out of every pony i thought would have kids, Pinkie was not high on the list. Nor Cheese sandwich for that matter.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: E24-25
    Show
    It's taken me a bit longer than usual to put together my thoughts regarding the finale, and to be honest I'm still digesting things, but these are my thoughts currently;
    Frankly, I'm a little disappointed with the reveal that Discord was Grogar, but I'm far more disappointed in regards to why he did what he did. Recall how I said Discord could be very hit or miss depending on the writer? This was a huge miss in my opinion. Yes, Discord is very much a troll mentor towards Twilight, but putting all of Equestria at risk feels like it crosses a line for a reformed Discord to do. I also feel like the show missed an opportunity by not having Tirek talk more while he was beating the pillars; he's facing the pony that turned his brother against him and Tirek doesn't have anything to say regarding that? Similarly, I would have liked to see Thorax or Pharynx get a few jabs in at Chrysalis during the big cavalry rescue scene. Beyond all that though, most of the episode felt like standard two-part season finale fare, just with higher stakes because series finale.
    Now, that being said I do think there was a lot to enjoy in the finale; the cavalry scene at the end was still reasonably epic, having the Young 6 responsible for gathering all of Equestria's allies was a nice touch, and the interactions between the legion of Doom were suitably caustic. All things considered, though, I think this would have benefited from being a three-parter and not a two plus one.

My Homebrew

Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's over

The appledash shippers won.

We campaigned long and hard. We fought on the forums and on the reddit threads. We fought in the deviantart comments and the youtube comments. We fought on the internet and the dreaded irl. We gave our utmost. Every one of you is a hero. I look into your eyes and see the spirit of Sparta lives there still.

And yet, as your leader, it falls to me to deliver the unthinkable news, words I never thought I'd say: we have been defeated.

I know each of you is filled with the same despair as I, the same sense of rage and betrayal - how could it come to this? I can see that each of you would fight on for another ten years should I ask you, and another ten besides! But I shall not ask this of you, noble comrades. Now it is time for us to leave this desolate landscape. This broken, ruined field has nothing for us any longer. We will gather our tumblrs, our shipfics, and our r34 folders. We will spread our wings with the beautiful synchronicity that now lives only in our hearts. And we will find foreign lands, untouched by the war. We will find new ships, yea! New and even greater! And we will rebuild! We will arise from the ashes! We will gather our strength, reforged in darkness and defeat, and WHEN THE GLORIOUS DAY THAT GENERATION FIVE COMES AT LAST WE WILL BE READY! WE WILL BE UNITED! DRUNK AND DECADENT IN VICTORY, THE APPLEDASH SHIPPERS WILL NOT BE PREPARED FOR OUR ARRIVAL, AND WE WILL RETURN IN THUNDER AND LIGHTNING! THEY MAY TRY TO FORGET US BUT THE SCARS WE LEAVE WILL BE ETERNAL AND ON THAT TERRIBLE DAY THEIR CANON WILL NOT PROTECT THEM! THEY WILL REMEMBER US WHEN OUR WARCRY HERALDS THE COMING OF THE STORM!

F L U T T E R D A S H
    O! T! P!
    I kinda wish this was the last post in this thread. It feel appropriate.

At the very least, I can respect Appledash and Fluttercord. I disagree with those ships, but at least they aren't awful.

But yes, it is time to look to other ships in other fandoms. And perhaps we shall get a proper resurgence in generation 5.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

22. - Top - End - #202

Spoiler: E24-25
    Show
    It's taken me a bit longer than usual to put together my thoughts regarding the finale, and to be honest I'm still digesting things, but these are my thoughts currently;
    Frankly, I'm a little disappointed with the reveal that Discord was Grogar, but I'm far more disappointed in regards to why he did what he did. Recall how I said Discord could be very hit or miss depending on the writer? This was a huge miss in my opinion. Yes, Discord is very much a troll mentor towards Twilight, but putting all of Equestria at risk feels like it crosses a line for a reformed Discord to do. I also feel like the show missed an opportunity by not having Tirek talk more while he was beating the pillars; he's facing the pony that turned his brother against him and Tirek doesn't have anything to say regarding that? Similarly, I would have liked to see Thorax or Pharynx get a few jabs in at Chrysalis during the big cavalry rescue scene. Beyond all that though, most of the episode felt like standard two-part season finale fare, just with higher stakes because series finale.
    Now, that being said I do think there was a lot to enjoy in the finale; the cavalry scene at the end was still reasonably epic, having the Young 6 responsible for gathering all of Equestria's allies was a nice touch, and the interactions between the legion of Doom were suitably caustic. All things considered, though, I think this would have benefited from being a three-parter and not a two plus one.
    Spoiler: Ep 25-26
    Show
    Ah, sounds like we find ourselves on the same boat. A three-parter would be an interesting thing to attempt.

Good catch on the lack of Tirek's banter with the pillars. That would have added a lot to why he's fighting them first.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I kinda wish this was the last post in this thread. It feel appropriate.
    Heh, from what I'm seeing going on in some corners of the fandom, yeah, that post would have been appropriate.
    (I've always been a fan of Rarijack myself)

I'll probably still be doing pony art for some time yet. Still find an audience for it.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: S26
    Show
    I think, more than anything else, this episode suffers from wanting to fit so much in with just not nearly enough time to do it. The plot of the episode is very middle of the road, both in terms of the framing device and the flashback to Twilight's coronation, but the show staff managed to fit in a huge number of blink-and-you'll-miss-it details. (One I don't think I've heard anypony mention is the fact that one of the stained glass windows looks to feature the Young 6 fighting some kind of monster in space.)

As for the shipping wars, it's worth mentioning that, aside from Pinkie/Cheese, everything was intentionally kept just vague enough to be taken how you prefer it, so FlutterDash fans fight the good fight (I'll still be waving the Sparity flag until the very end).

In the meantime, I'm going to put this here because it feels appropriate.

My Homebrew

Show

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Back from London... May be Humours Pictures later, but watching three pony espidoes has delayedme a bit (but after running flat out, I needed a bit of mental break.)

Main conclusions: Kew remains spectacular, Natural History Museum remains gold standard of museums, Science Museum had a good three floor with the engines, but not much else and the Imperial War Musuem was pretty dire, with only the WW1 bit at the bottom and the VC/GC bit at the top being anything much more than *put thing here* "this is a thing!" I remember there being more tanks. And seriously, you take the actual models they used to work out dazzle camoflage on WW2 ships and you put them in the CAFE?

Urrgh.

Also, wow, it's nice to have a public transport system, something we don't have in Derby (we have, at best Some Buses; the last great inovation was Arriva beciding that the best way to improve the transport system was to combine all the bus routes to my area to, like, one or two (some of which were overcrowded and running every fifteen minutes) and then drop the number of buses to evey half hour...)

Okay then. Elected to Does The Finale, since it is apparently 2+1, not 1 +2 like I'd expected, but okay, I wasn't in a rush to do anything today.

Spoiler: s9e24/25
    Show
    Well!

Tht was a hell of a climax, wasn't it!

VERY nicely done.

Didn't even see Discord Was Grogar All Along, even though uit made a lot of sense in hindsight.

The villains were on top form (though for mne, Cosy stole that show), everyone had a chance to be awesome! Special nod to Starlight, standing up to Cryssy on her own and being awesome.

The villain's plan was fairly smart, though in their hubris (well foreshadowed hubris), they missed the trick of having Tirek completely drain everypony (though of course, they might not have let him). Despite their friction, though, they were still united at the end - even before the end...

And that little moment with Spike and Rarity covering each other was delightful.

Finish with MLP "on your left." (Hey, there's Fizzlepop!)

(Sad no Sunset, though.)

It took nine seasons, but we finally got a Pinkie and the Brain reference...

Also, oh, dodged a bullet there, The Pink Oone nearly happened... (Her expression when she slid up with the bell...!)

Overall, excellent; if that was the series last episodes, I'd have been very happy.

Right, let's see if the actual finale can equal or top that...

Spoiler: s9e26
    Show
    Pretty well, actually. (Though I imagine the shippers are somewhat fuming in some cases...)

A fitting conclusion - heck, we even squeezed pony!form Sunset into the top of that last gorup shot uncovered by Twilight.

Good subject matter for the end of the series, one feels.

Right, back through thread...

Edit:

Spoiler
    Show
    Interesting, rather more mixed recpetion that I'd have thought.

Mind you, I have literally no stake in any of the shipping save Spike/Rarity (and even then, rather like with Naruto, I've read so much variance over fanfiction, even canon or variance from canon doesn't bother me much.)

But again, let's be comletely fair, aside from the kind of obvious implication of Pinkie/Cheese, the other shipping isat least sort of more implied, so I'm sure ther's still plenty of wiggle-room for the dedicated. (Dash and AJ don't have to be in a relationship to be living together, there could be lots of reasons, for one.)

Also, a lot of people are miffed at the Mane Six bar Twi seeming to have aged a lot, implying Twilight is immortal and they aren't, or just that the Mane Six aren't immortal... Eh. I honestly didn't even notice that. Maybe because the big 4-0 is iminent?

So, it is concluded. In many ways, I think that this last season shows that it was probably good to do so while the highs were still high, before it degraded too much. This season's best was still fantastic, but there were moribund than I'd have liked (and some stinkers).

I can't imagine FimFic or EqD going away in a hurry, so for me, at least, it's not really the definitie end (plus also the comics, which I will get.) I certainly don't feel quite as bittersweet as the ending of other things, since there is such a strong (still) fan continuation, but perhapos I haven't processed yet,

And there is purportedly one more movie yet, is there not?

(Plus is EqG done?)

This might be a year of endings for me - the final volume of Naruto DVDs came, and that's been with me longer than pony has, Pokémon seems to be making a determined effort to go and in a couple of weeks as I hit 40, we will be bidding farewell the to Aggamemnon party, in my birthday quest two-part finale from their beginnings way back in about '95-ish. Actually, kind of appropriate, really, for that.

And I'll still be around. I haven't been psoting as much since no-else has been, and we all know that it would degenerate into the Bleakbane Reports On Random Crap thread if left unchecked... But I'm not going anywhere, like, ever.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-10-15 at 07:35 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205

I don't think we'd mind a Bleakbane Reports thread. And the models are nice to look at, as opposed to Digo's art which just makes me mad I can't draw.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, with the mainline series over, what's something that you wish the show had covered? I'm still disappointed that we didn't get to see any other zebras. I know Zecora stopped being important early on, but there isn't a single other canon picture of another zebra in the entire series. From my research, there's been two other appearances of non-Zecora zebras, and both of them were in prose; there apparently was a group of them living in Everfree Forest several hundred years ago, as mentioned in The Journal of Two Sisters. (which is still of arguable canonicity), and one of the chapter books had an evil zebra as a one-off villain. None in the show, none in the comics. Other than "They are the only non-pony species with Cutie Marks", there's nothing we know about them as a species, other than stuff that Zecora herself does. And that's almost never a good idea; traits that can be endearing on a personal level often become horrible if expanded on to be racial traits. Taslehoff was a fun one-of thief, Kender are a plague.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, with the mainline series over, what's something that you wish the show had covered? I'm still disappointed that we didn't get to see any other zebras. I know Zecora stopped being important early on, but there isn't a single other canon picture of another zebra in the entire series. From my research, there's been two other appearances of non-Zecora zebras, and both of them were in prose; there apparently was a group of them living in Everfree Forest several hundred years ago, as mentioned in The Journal of Two Sisters. (which is still of arguable canonicity), and one of the chapter books had an evil zebra as a one-off villain. None in the show, none in the comics. Other than "They are the only non-pony species with Cutie Marks", there's nothing we know about them as a species, other than stuff that Zecora herself does. And that's almost never a good idea; traits that can be endearing on a personal level often become horrible if expanded on to be racial traits. Taslehoff was a fun one-of thief, Kender are a plague.
    I recall reading somewhere that Hasbro has a "Zecora is the only Zebra fullstop." You guess is as good as mine why,

Humorous Pictures

Spoiler
    Show
    Harry had grown a little bit too, post-time skip...

Also:

Spoiler: Best Dinosaur
    Show

Spoiler: Best Animal
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, with the mainline series over, what's something that you wish the show had covered?
    One thing I really wish we could have gotten is some level of interaction between Discord and the Pillars, in particular between him and Starswirl. I have to imagine that the Pillars were at least familiar with who Discord was, and given Starswirl's attitude towards the idea of villains reforming and Discord's stretching the definition of "reformed" I think there would have been some real potential for humor there.

Speaking of the Pillars, I would have also liked to see at least a little more of Rockhoof settling in as a Ponyville resident.

My Homebrew

Show

29. - Top - End - #209

I would've liked more episodes like we got for 100, focusing on other characters while the Mane 6's insanity ran in the background. One of the problems with the series being too much focus on the M6 resulting in running low on good storylines.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I recall reading somewhere that Hasbro has a "Zecora is the only Zebra fullstop." You guess is as good as mine why
    I've heard it said that they never got pitched a good idea for a Zebra episode. However, at a BronyCon panel this year, Faust mentioned that in her original ideas, Zecora was an Earth zebra that wandered through a portal and gained sapience and a Cutie Mark in transition.

Re: Shipping

If you want, you can use the headcanon that after retiring from the Wonderbolts, RD works on the Acres to stay in shape (and mooch meals off someone who can cook). In any case, Big Jim said it was supposed to be ambiguous.

As a QuibbleDash shipper, I've got a substantially tougher row to hoe...