New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony C: Friendship Carries On

i wouldn't mind some exploration on Luna and Celestia's origins.

i still prefer the headcannon that they're physical incarnations of the sun and moon taken shape to act as gods / demi-gods to equestria and to save them from the likes of discord, but given the mentions of them as fillies and the like... it seems unlikely. Plus, now twilight has the tallness and flowing hair of the princesses, so that trait making them unique has kinda been taken away from them... i wonder if this means that Twilight's lifespan really has been extended to over a millennia.

other then that, it's not so much what i would like to see rather then what i'd like changed. Make tings happen more or less then "one thousand years ago". For example i could see Star-swirl, the pillars, and the pony of shadows being an event from two-thousand years ago. the windegos could be three thousand years ago, discord one thousand five-hundred years ago, etc.

it would mean removing Star-swirl from situations like the first hearthswarming, but that could be explained as either being a separate pony with the same title, or a myth that got mixed up in time, like how modern day humans sometimes think of cave-men and dinosaurs in the same era, when they were billions of years apart.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #212

Nah, just a few score million.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

*eyeglow twitch*

*eyeglow twitch*

So, last Thursday, my mate and I met up. Because I was going to London the next day, I had to knock on the head the first chance we had to play a game and we just met for a chat. Anyway, he showed me some videos, and it brought the point home that I can list the weapons used by all of out D&D parties in short order, and they are all a small subset - dagger/swords, axes if dwarf, bows, crossbow if can't use bows, javelins if can't use crossbows, heavy mace if cleric, unarmed if monk (except for the One Guy who made me make a spreadsheet to track his monk because he wanted to have a flurry monk using TWF with TWO DFIFFERENTLY ENCHANTED KAMAS). No-one uses polearms (I think a couple of paties used a lognspear and a glaive at very low level) or anything like that.

Video showed some interesting things on spears, and how they ain't as crap as you'd think (after all literally EVERY culture has them and they wouldn't if they weren't good), so my free time while away was considering how to buff spears without changing the numbers (I gave them what amounts to a short of half-extra reach, basically, if you have 'em in two hands or are in formation and some one with no polearm or shield comes at you, you get an AoO). I properly buffed crossbows by canonised and expanding the Dreemaenhyll rules allowing you to make the equivilent of +Str bows, I increased the Heavy Crossbow's RoF to a 2/3rnds (by making it two move actions, not a fuill-round action to reload), added a "war sling" which is a martial weapon closer to how actual slings performed (i.e. better range than the bows of the time); this all required me to copy up and adjust the ENTIRE weapons table, and instigating PF's idea of keywords for weapons, basically, noly going further and slapping them into weapon groups (ala PF Fighter groups) and then using that to slap on special rules and cutting down on the repeated text on weapons. (I didn't save much spacde, in the end, because I did add a description of what every weapon actually was, but that's not mechanical in most cases.)

Not quite finished that yet, but that was on the cards today.

Nope, after revising formations, I realised Agile Shield Fighter needed a little look at and minor revision, which lead to me having to write-up all TWF (again), check feasibility of TWF with fighting defensively (you'll only get it with a Fighter in 3.A, but a TWF+TWD Fighter can fight defensively for some stupid-good AC boosts, but that's a narrow enough margin I'm not worried...)

One step forward, two steps back…

Part way trhough the adding of PF, I spotted grappling hook and read up.

Which lead to me deleting Use Rope as a skill.

Having done THAT, I realised I also has to redo ALL the skill feats (you know, the ones which add +2 to two skills). Complete revision, including knocking back Alertness from 3.A (+2 perception, +1 initiative) to PF (+2 perception and sense motive). Some of the feats now give you a bonus to three skills if one’s fairly narrow (I very nearly deleted forgery as well, but decided that one can stay…) Having done THAT, I then had to go through the bestiaries (i.e. the 3.A one, the 3.A summons one AND the Dreemaenhyll one) to correct that and take out all of the Alertness feats on animals and replace them with Skill Focus (Perception).

AND THEN had to go through and fix all the Skill Focus feats, since along with the PF version of the skill feats (where the bonuses increases to +4 if you have ten ranks), PF!Skill Focus gives you +6 if you have ten ranks. (As well, since I'd copy/apsted PF skills for the animals when I updated the bestiary last and they would have been wrong without PF's modifications...)

AND THEN, the big horror, the realisation that I’d not been paying attention to the PF skill rank prerequisites when I imported them and so now needed to go through ALL the feats by ranks and make sure it was all standardised…

So. The trained skill bonus does NOT now count as ranks for the purposes of feat pre-reqs or Prestige class requirements; the rule is now, if it’s out of the 3.A stuff, it’s already been corrected (i.e. all old 3.5 ranks requirements have been reduced by 3); if it’s out of a physical book, you just knock three off. (The master feat list DOES include the adjusted values though, so for feats, that’s now correct at least. While the temptation to write up all the affected feats was there, even just with stuff out of the psionics books and PHB2, I was like, “no, too much…” Especially as the psionic feats will need a pass later anyway…)

Thus I never got as FAR as finishing the weapons.

Let alone sorting out paladin smites, the lurk/ardent/divine mind/erduiate/spellthief/spirit shaman/shugenja/wujen upgrades, adding the rest of the rogue talents and FINALLY sorting the Soulknife blade powers which was was STARTED all this in the first place...

4. - Top - End - #214
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    I'm still disappointed that we didn't get to see any other zebras.
    I read something from Big Jim that Hasbro just wasn't interested in any of their ideas for introducing more zebras. I'm with you, would have liked to seen at least a couple more to get a better idea of what they are like (for example, do they all rhyme or is it just a quirk with Zecora?)
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

you know, thinking back on it... the epilogue episode kinda ended on a note i wasn't expecting.

when twilight's student came in saying she was think about starting an independent study thing, i thought that they were going to go in a direction of her teaching twilight that it's okay to be happy while being alone, and that not everyone needs friends to be happy, maybe allude to her being a new princess of a new independent magic type revolving around taking comfort in your personal space or something.

evidently not
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    evidently not
    "You will have friends and you will like them!! Lone wolves don't sell enough merch!"

Though to be fair to Twilight, ponies without friends seem to more often turn into evil villains.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Though to be fair to Twilight, ponies without friends seem to more often turn into evil villains.
    i dunno, Cozy Glow had plenty of friends, and look how she turned out
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    i dunno, Cozy Glow had plenty of friends, and look how she turned out
    Heh heh. I'd argue she was evil before making those kind of friends. :3

Despite the show being over, the fandom hasn't lost its touch for debate. Was reading several long threads trying to figure out if Pinkie's child was a colt or filly. Who are these people and why do they have so much free time to debate this? XD
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #219

I believe the traditional answers are 1: people with no life and 2: see above.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

Think one of the showrunners confirmed it was a colt, then another said it wasn't scripted. So --- it's 75% likely a colt?

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Think one of the showrunners confirmed it was a colt, then another said it wasn't scripted. So --- it's 75% likely a colt?
    Schrödinger's Gender?
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

12. - Top - End - #222

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Schrödinger's Gender?
    Eh, it's whatever I guess. I've seen enough babies that they're all pretty much potato blobs for the first years.

With the kirin, the staff said that there wasn't time to develop a stallion design, so the only difference to tell the stallions from the mares is lack of eyelashes.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

I Are 40 now.

(Well, technically, I'll be 40 around 7-8ish o'clock this morning.)

Out with Nanny as usual tomorrow, well, I mean, later today in the morning, and then AccAtt in the evening, in Dad's Man-Cave, 'cos the club is closed at it will be only the third game this year me and my mate have managed to make outside of convenitions. (But, at least, he's been able to make most Mondays for the RPG, which is good.)

Saturday, we come to the finale of the Agammemon party and a two-day quest (for the first time since I did it for my 18th) and bid farewell to that party, possibly in body bags... Said party had its origins in the mid-90s. The party has some characters that came in from the prior time-travel party, which started in 1994, which I know because during that first session, the party ran into a time lizard (which was basically like a temporal draconican) under Minas Tirith and they all shot at it all missed with every high-tech gu they had. And then the guy who was playing hismelf threw a cricket bat at it. I daftly let him use the Sling Attack Table (because this is all Rolemaster, of COURSE) and he rolled open-ended and caved its chest in. That was so embarrasing, I made a scribble sketch of it with the date in my jotter at school the next day, and subsquently uncovered that informaion when we cleared the loft before it was turned into the aforementioned man-cave.

The Agamemon party was firmly established - though they hadn't got their titualar ship yet - during the aforementioned 18th event, which was inself a cross-over between that party and the Nightstar party, which was a Federation Starship working a bit like a mobile Babylon 5.

(Incidently, their ship is Agamemnon because it was the only name they could all agree on, and it was suggested because it was John Sheridan's old ship in Babylon 5...)

So the Aggy crew have been used a touch over an average of once a year for over twenty years.

Naturally, the final boss fight will culminate with a brawl with a dragon. Ninja Spirit-Bound Lich. Who is level 50.

Because I am me.

(Part of the reason I'm retiring them? You know that AMEt party I set up, the Aotrs-Does-Stargate I did that massive write-up for? Yeah? Moving to THAT party, the party of magical space-liches in the top ten most advanced powers in the galaxy, that was a DOWNGRADE in terms of power; the Aotrs party is actually managable...)

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Well happy birthday Bleakbane. For your birthday, I got a job.

Honestly I weekend of gaming with good friends sounds like a pretty awesome birthday. Have fun!
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

15. - Top - End - #225

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I Are 40 now.
    Hippo Birdie there, Sir Lich. Gaming is always fun to do on those special occasions. Did you set cupcakes on the battle mat for cover during combat?

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I got a job.
    That's good news. Congrats on the employment!

I found the Equestria girls Holiday Unwrapped special online and watched it.
    Spoiler: A few thoughts
    Show
    It's basically a series of slice-of-life shorts of the girls doing stuff for the winter break. Some are more fun than others. My favorite was the second short, dealing with Pinkie and Sunset trying to get a souffle across a snowball fight battlefield. It's played up to full ham by tons of characters and I laughed so hard. XD
    Digo Dragon - Artist

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

I Are 40 now.
    Happy birthday! Have a great time gaming

Honestly I weekend of gaming with good friends sounds like a pretty awesome birthday. Have fun!
    Congrats on the job too!

Spoiler: Celebratory Explosion
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Congratulations!

I Are 40 now.
    And Celebrations!
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Congratulations and thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Hippo Birdie there, Sir Lich. Gaming is always fun to do on those special occasions. Did you set cupcakes on the battle mat for cover during combat?
    Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Happy birthday! Have a great time gaming
    Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    And Celebrations!
    Ta muchly.

The Xyriats started out really well against the dwarf/UCDR alliance, but then it all went horribly to pot. Can't win 'em all...

Tough the casualties were all dwarf. And if there is one power in the galaxy that is best at spin and cultural warfare, it is the Xyriat Hegemony. I mean, it's right there is the name... So, it might ne something of a socially pyhrric victory for the allies, if not in a military sense...

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

happy birthday Commodore
    i turned 49 on Monday

anyone know where i can get a good deal on two tons or so of salt?
    i want to make a giant circle around my house before this month kills me
    (also some nuclear land mines for under the salt..no such thing as overkill)

so remember 4 weeks back? my moms house burnt up?
    took last friday off work cause she was throwing up/dificulty breathing..drs said she spending too much time with the cleanup crew not wearing mask
    on Monday she totaled her car
    Tuesday she fell and hit her head and was overnight in hospital again
    Today(thursday) my sister got rear-ended

as for me personally.. basically been going all month on 4 hours of sleep a day..only not as much rest as that sounds since it comes in 30 minute naps between bouts of barking from the 5 dogs(REM sleep? whats that) so i am pretty well zombified atm
    add in a chronic problem that had finally been cleared up for two weeks has recurred from the stress

i really REALLY hope final season hits Netflix soon
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    happy birthday Commodore
    i turned 49 on Monday

(also some nuclear land mines for under the salt..no such thing as overkill)

so remember 4 weeks back? my moms house burnt up?
    took last friday off work cause she was throwing up/dificulty breathing..drs said she spending too much time with the cleanup crew not wearing mask
    on Monday she totaled her car
    Tuesday she fell and hit her head and was overnight in hospital again
    Today(thursday) my sister got rear-ended

as for me personally.. basically been going all month on 4 hours of sleep a day..only not as much rest as that sounds since it comes in 30 minute naps between bouts of barking from the 5 dogs(REM sleep? whats that) so i am pretty well zombified atm
    add in a chronic problem that had finally been cleared up for two weeks has recurred from the stress

i really REALLY hope final season hits Netflix soon
    Ah crap, you really are having a bad time of it at the moment. That all suuuuuuucks. (Except possible for the birthday. Parts of the birthday. I at least hope you had some moments of happy on your birthday.) For all the help it is, you have all my good-wises that things stabilise and improve soon.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-10-25 at 05:01 AM.

21. - Top - End - #231

Tough the casualties were all dwarf.
    Ah, so just a bunch of short setbacks then?

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    Good gravy, that kind of curse is something I'd expect on a Netflix series or something. O_o

I really hope things turn around for your family and get better!
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #232

I'm pretty sure the fall and totaling the car stem from the health problems related to doing clean up without protective gear. You might want to mix some white sulphur in with the salt on the circle.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

So I found this.
    Spoiler: Large poster, Gundam Char Counterattack reference
    Show

Any idea if MLP G4 go out with this movie, except it will be Starlight instead of Trixie. Not sure what is MLP equivalent of "trying to Earth's environment better by dropping a giant rock on Earth".
    I did see it fitting in with X-Men, replace Char with Magneto and Axis Zeon with Astroid M.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

MLP M:tG set arrived today due to surprisingly fast shipping. Turns out it's foil cards, which you would think is something they would advertise.

Spoiler: Ponies: The Galloping
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

otakuryoga: ouch, that really sucks. Two tons of road salt wouldn't be too expensive, but it's also way too little to build a giant circle around your house. Happy birthday to you and to Aotrs Commander as well.

26. - Top - End - #236

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Two tons of road salt wouldn't be too expensive, but it's also way too little to build a giant circle around your house.
    I'm finding the average price per ton of road salt to be around $100 USD. If they got the cash they could buy more to make that effective circle.

Though what could you summon with that much salt?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Digo Dragon - Artist

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

First half od day quest done... Party were suitably "oh crap!" when they heard they had to get to one of the Aotrs' capital worlds to find a pocket dimension to perform the magic ritual to cleanse them of the BadWrongThing that's affecting them. They considered but rejected the option to just say "can we come and do this," because the decided that while the answer would almost certainly be "yes," it was what happened afterwards that was the problem. (I mean, I had written up for what would have happened if they had done that, and on the one had they'd have had an easier time, on the other, they would gotten The Bad Ending...!)

They didn't need more than a minor prompt from me to remember that they had something lying around that would help them reduce their sensor profile (They'd even brought it up, they just didn't put two and two together). The gor down easily enough, aced the first "locate the portal" scans, worked out pretty quickly that the area was perception-filter-warded so they needed to approach the other way. Through a local village (out in the Styx of Tusharnos, where the Aotrs occasionally have to remind who is actuall in charge.)

They ran into the local bloke who was all "gerr out of it, furriner!" and, to my GREAT hilarioty, both the Jedi and the archmage telepath elected to go tell him to naff off seperately. (Like, the players said it at the same time, so I was like "off you go...!" So the dude, unsruroisngly, wasn't making two RRs verses level 12 characters at onc and sodded off, maybe with a little bit of blood trickling out of his nose from the brain haemoharrge...!)

Finding the mine they needed to go through to bypass the wards was sealed, they ent back and talked to the old crazy man (Old Man NtMukBit) (yes, he was crazy and had missing teeth and a big white beard...) With a little charm and a bit of mental prowess (the archamge was absolutely spamming her telepathy today, which is, thy player pointed out, something he didn;t get to to do very often!) they got some maps from the villagers and headed down.

Then they ran into the nasty Things Uncovered By the Godsruin that devastated Tusharnos (otherwise know as the galaxy-spamming ten thousand year old conflict of the Xakkath Demon Was). Little spidery-things with disquietingly human-looking faces seeming trapped intheir abdomans.

That was a short combat, since the archmage pulled out more stuff she'd not used before, a spell Gravity Field, which forced creatures to make an RR or be immobilised and also take a Krush critical (which she boosted to 'C'.) Needless to say, all twenty of the scuttlers failed their RRs, and at that point, the explorer at the front with his plasmatic repeater rifle hosed them down ito they were dead. (Thing about plasmatic repeaters is they essentially have unlimited ammo because they have microfusion reactors, so they only run out of fuel if the player basically gets a fumble of a particualr sort, and they are recharged by that most rare of chemicals, dihydrogen monoxide... So they didn't even use any ammo.)

The ran into Mummy Spider-thing, next, and also made fairly short work of her. Despite her having a massive shield that meant her DB was sky-high until they chisled it away, she only got off one round before getting stunned and that was that.

Oiut of the mines/underdark caverns, they found the runestone to turn the wards off and also the portal to the pocket dimension. Which was 300' up in the air, 250' away from the nearest cliff-sde (10k years ago, there was a stone causeway leading to it. Not now...)

Portal can be entered from any orientation (blip on the scanners is spherical), but they chose to enter in the same direction as the causeway would have. They'd got 90 feet of space to fit the Fightercruiser in between portal and cliff, they were fine. It's a bit (had I but realised it before it struck me describing it to them one the day) like the wormwhol in DS9, you can't see until you get closer enough to enter, and then it opens just big enough for the thig getting within 102feet of it, such as at first, the PCs with the grav-flight pack, and then the rock he chucked through it.

So, the took the ship through. Basically, the pocket dimension looks a bit like those asset=flip bad Steam games, where, like, only half the map's completed. There's a cacking great crevasse running left-to-right right in fron of them (they come out as dead stop about thirty foot of the deck), with a subtripical rainforest in it, and sod-all else from the rest of the thrity-mile radius apart from a bit rain-erosion.

They had their first scan/look about and went, "oh, hey there's a temple over there, twenty miles away, directly opposite, that must be the right place that we need to go to, oh crap it's extending a weapon turr-" BANG! As the temple took a shot at them with a full-on capital lazer cannon. It - thanks to astonishingly poor rolls and a hithertoly-unknown terrible attack table, got some computer damage from the first shot. Plus side, it meant the couldn't shoot back - or turn the shields on. Cue panicked reverse through portal. On that side? portal is sphereical. On this side. Circular. You can enter the portal from the outside at any orientation, but you appear in the same facing in the pocket dimension - and you can only go out the one way, which is in the direction of the causeway. So they had to sharpishly back out and not run into the cliff behind them. Which they did, because their pilot is frackin' awesome.

No time to celebrate, though.

The lazer can't trigger the portal, 'cos it's energy.

The triple-railguns?

Different story.

Terrible rolls again, despite literal sitting duck target. Eh, they didn't need that proton torpedo launcher anyway, right?

Engineer (NPC, one of the ex-PCs who played isn't with us) looks at the computer and goes "nope, busted. " (Open-ended low!) The jedi's wife has a look as says, "yeah, few hours to fix, but we don't have the parts." So, their plan is, now they know what they're up against, basically just dash in and nose-dive into the chasm and thus be out of the line-of-fire (sinc eit's the ONLY place the turrets don't have a clear shot at them.

They go off, the laser misses. The railgun hits, and I roll nothing higher than 22 on the criticals. Terrible - the sensors break, the Elecrconic warfare goes down oh, no, it's not like they are being attacked by missiles and they have interdimesional communicators, so the loss of ship comms don't even matter much). Come to the last roll, the worst, 11, and THAT is the one that knocks the engines out. (Finally!) Cue the pilot suddenly having to get this:

Spoiler
    Show

To glide. Because he's so damn good, and got a good roll, I only gave 'em all a +30 Fall/Crush attack each (same as if they'd have been knocked-out on the first feet from 30 feet up). Virtually nothing other than hit point damage (minor hit point damage) across fifteen characters. One guy had to spend a couple of invulerablity points (i.e. a bit like fate points) to not die when I rolled a natural 100 on the A Krush crit, so he was technically fine, the jedi cracked a rib. SADLY sodding Gillman got away with not being killed (he does NOT have invulnerability points...), but I did break his leg. HA!

Sadly, this damage will be fixed by the tim they traipse across to the temple via the rainforest tomorrow, but victories where I can...!

And that was where we left it, them having crashed into the dirt. It was about where I wanted. If we have a quick start tomorrow and I don't hang about, we can have the last token combat and then get to the final boss and have time to do it proper-like. And THEN we shall see if they survive...

28. - Top - End - #238
    Colossus in the Playground

A thought that occurred to me.

There were two Thread XX.

Two threads labeled 20.

So, technically, this is the hundred and first thread, not the hundredth.

Anyone wanna try and make it to 102 before Gen 5 comes out?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

The party picked themselves up, and headed off into the rainforest in their APC and their grav-car, which was by sheer coincidence just enough to get the fifteen of them in.

The made it to the roadway through to the rainforest by evening, just at the point to discover a little waypoint in a cave. There was a secret passage, warded against creatures the ward judged as evil (there is no alignment in RM in a mechanical fashion). At the end of that very short passage, there was a shrine to a forgotten goddess. They'd found another smaller on a bit before while scanning for the portal and knew the water had healing properties. This one had a pool to bathe in. Like the last one, the statue had glowing gems for eyes. The party's Irish trench fighter waited until everyone was asleep, and then tried to pry them out. (The only surprise was that he hadn't tried it in th LAST shrine... At that was only because the player said he'd not heard me mentioned the gems in the eyes...!) The gems reacted by changing from green to red, like dye shot into water. The character continued after this warning, and got a +160 Lightning Bolt to the face. He fell off, and landed in the pool (I rolled 50/50 on the deck or the pool.) It was at that point he discovered that angering the goddess made the water hurt - in addition to hit point damage, he took a C critial (50/50 Acid of Heat). Turned out to be Acid, and he rolled a 100. His face would have melted! Two invulnerability points, then!

The statue's eyes went back to green. "Great," he says, "now it'll heal me agaiaaaaaaaaaaaaaagghmother[censored]sonofa[censored][censored][[censored]...!" (Another 2D10 damage... Also, the water made him dirty, opposite to making everyone super clean who'd had a bath in it earlier.) The NPC healer lady took pity on him and healed him up (the party would have left him until morning). He otherwise took about 100 hits out 300 from that, hilariously. Entirely self-inflicted. I mean, it wasnt like he wasn't warned. Greedy.

In the morning, they finished their trip t the other side of the jungle, had to the leave their vehicles behind an trek on foot the last five or so miles of tunnel to the temple's basement.

They ran into eight Brotherhood of the Grey Lizard monks - servants of the Time Drake Timeshade. He was the guy that the timetravel party I mentioned a bit before ago killed; not entirely unexpected they'd meet them, they've run into the Brotherhood often after Timeshad'es demise as the fall of his corpse ninto the Wall of Time at the End of Time...

I played it a bit like it was the last combat, the poor saps, convincingly enough they didn't question (since I had stressed "the last encounter" was not necessarily the "last combat" - because Evil...

The poor monks died horribly, managing only to stun the jedi for a round.

Anf then they got to the Fountain of Youth room.

Quote Originally Posted by Quest 26 "The End Tymes or Every Lich Way is Lose or One Shade of Grey Lizard"
    The door swing back at your push. They are not silent, but there is only the faint rumble of stone on stone. The doors swing back all the way upon themselves and lock into notches in the walls, their ornate surface blending with that of the walls themselves.

The doorway opens to a large chamber, 230 feet wide and 330 feet long. It has a vaulted ceiling reaching up a hundred and fifty feet at the centre and ninety feet at the walls. Fifty feet from you, on each side, the first of a huge, ten-foot diameter arch spans up to the ceiling above, the next one and the one after each a hundred free apart. At the far end, in the centre of the wall is an enormous altar to Tyme. It stretches up seventy feet, fifty feet wide and extending twenty feet from the rear wall. The alter has been rather efficiently defaced with neatly carved winged lizards cut through every symbol. The large statue presumably depicting Tyme himself that forms the centre-point of the altar has had its head broken off and the decapitated head is missing.

There were clearly once several balconies with doors or archways leading into this room from the upper levels, but they have almost all been sealed off. You can see the archways, sealed with what looks like starship bullhead metal, and the lines of different-coloured stone, and posts and jutting spars where the other balconies would have stood, clearly visible amid the otherwise ornate carvings. Only one stone balcony remains on the sixth floor, running around the room aside from the back wall, where it is level with the top of the altar. It about twenty feet wide, skirting around the massive arches and is sixty feet up.
    A hundred and sixty feet from you is a ten-foot wide pool. In the centre is the source. It might be over-romantising to call it a fountain, since it is little more than an ornate stone block with a steady trickle of water flowing between three stepped layers into the pool.

The Brotherhood appear to have been using this room as a treasure vault. There are piles of valuables from all through the ages stacked in neat piles around the rear half of the room’s walls, making it a veritable Aladdin’s cave of treasures. There are paintings and tapestries, stand near holoscuptlures, stacks of bars of precious metals and rare alloys. Oddly juxtaposed to the organised treasures is a carpet of sand. It lies in drifts around the rear of the room, piled up and around many of the treasure stacks. Mixed in with the sand are a huge numbers of coins or many different denominations, but with the majority appearing to be either monits or gold coins.
    The total value contained within which you can’t easily comprehend, but must easily be in the millions. But the sheer scale of the room prevents even this amount of treasure from covering it more than half of it – the fountain stands a little clear of the piles.
    They were a little unsure about the sand but with everything radiating magic, couldn't pick anything up from it from the mage's visual Power Perception, so gamely trotted over to the pool to start the ritual.

Which was, of course, the point that, well...

Quote Originally Posted by Quest 26 "The End Tymes or Every Lich Way is Lose or One Shade of Grey Lizard"
    “Welcome to my lair!” The booming voice comes from somewhere in the pile of sand. There is a cadence, to it, a slight reverberation that is slightly familiar. Hel-Jen and Tracy stiffen, for they recognised the voice, despite the augmentation.

“Oh [uncharacteristic swear from my favourite PC/NPC]” Hel Jen manages, aghast. “This can’t be happening!”

The doors behind you suddenly slam shut, and there is a brief flash of violet energy across the rear wall, which disappears.

“I have been waiting for quite some time for you,” it continues conversationally. As it does, the sand begins to move, pulling away from the walls and flowing into a cohesive mass in the centre of the room.
    Spoiler: Pants to be darkened
    Show

I am insanely pleased how well Time Shade - for it was he, now a Spirit-Bound Lich, because OF COURSE he was! - came out, considering I was cobbling a dragon together from the skeleton kit stuff I got a few years back, from a couple of alien skeletons (green and blue) and a pleisosaur and a velociraptor skeleton. I even managed to make a good stab at the wings!)

(Also pictured, the ARCS, the Aotrs Reconfiguration Combat System, aka an A1 palstic wallter with carboard in it, drawn of with Crayola dry-wipe was crayons.)

There was some monologuing, of course. The PCs actually didn't try to interrupt, or spread out, or turn shields on or do anything the things I'd expected they would try (in the first instance) or to give themselves an advantage on (on the second). That allowed me to capstone a couple of other parties, including one we never finished and reveal a few secrets that never came to light.

(Namely, in that party, the Chosen One's mate Brother Galthador was a PC Plant from the beginning and was secretly one of the Brotherhood of the Grey Lizard all along. As the player (of the jedi in this party, actually) said: "yeah, sorry!" What essentially is was implied happened, then, was that the one party on this planet, which was in the middle of a Belgariad-style epic, leading to the Chosen One making a Choice, and the other party from that world who'd ended up going off and coming back at Epic (wherein the highest level adventurers at the time was merely 15th - in AD&D). So it was like if halfwayb through Lord of the Rings, the Justice League turned up and punched Sauron out, so that foiled Time Shade's cunning lan for a divine reserrection...)

But enough talk!

So then began a desperate fight against a 50th level ninja dragon Lich!

Desparate especially since the first thing that happened was they all dropped to 2 Invulerability, and they could only spend 1 to not die (as opposed to 2 to ignore) as result that killed them. (Except for most of the NPCs, who don't have it to start with.)

I did take great mercy on them, though, if mostly for my own conveniance. Time Shade used his Time Breath in a sweeping burst to give everyone Time criticals (they spread out enough in a panic that they'd only have gotten As instead of Es) but I as I started rolling the first one, I instantly came to the conclusion that reducing everyone's stats (which is all Time crits do) would just be a MASSIVE time-consuming pain in the arse for little gain (and Shock criticals would have been way too severe), so I subtituted Stress crits and let them off very lightly.

Probably as well, considering how hard they had to fight.

Time Shade had stupendous DB, and his second action was to use his Leet Martial Arts to channel Lizard's Skin Chi Power (ironically a technqiue developed to replicate HIS dragon-hide for his monks) to boost his DB and defence even higher. (And the mage's direct attack spells were just going to be completely hopeless, and she knew it).

As the rest scattered, Stan, the slightly mysterious psychopath NPC with the shot gun and chainsaw went into a frenzy ad charged Time Shade, got within 20 feet, rolled open-ended low on his RR verses Fear, failed by more than 100 points (which would have been enough to kill him outright with many fear effects in Rolemaster) and ran screaming into the corner of the room in a blind panic for the next ten minutes.

You had one job, Stan.

(I mean, Time Shade would have just exploded him with one punch with his DB had he made it in, but...)

After a round or so of hopelessly fire, I pointed out tbey needed to be using suppressive fire. Suppressive Fire says you either take cover, or you ONLY get your armour and static Defensive Bonus, nothing from Quickness of Adreanal Defense, which is where the bulk of Timeshade's DBN came from. And, not cover in the room for Time Shade, so he'd have to take his lumps.

Time Shade then attempted his magnificant dramtic leap, open-ended low on both his Adreanal Leaps and Jump roll (fortunately the latter was so high it didn't matter) and jumped next to the Wizard and Gillman, the nearest victims.

Gillman.

Those of you with long memories will recall I've been trying to kill that NPC for frakin' years.

Now, I wanted Time Shade to go for Gillman, but the spellcaster was a hgih prioroty target (lest she haste people). So I rolled for it (in front of the screen, which I only do when really want the PCs to see the result). Odds for her, even for Gillman. The mage bricked herself when Time Shade glanced over to her, his Lifevision easily penetrating her invisibility.

And then Time Shade punched Gillman. (Rolled an 8!)

97, open-ended.

Oh deary me.

Now, see the thing about shields (in my rules) is that when you take in one round an amount of Aparture Energy (which is basically the number of the weapon table for firearms and energy weapons and an equivilent for melee) for that category, it bursts your shield and drops it, and it has (assuming it doesn't short) to tick back up. Laser and blaster weapons cap out at LE anf BE 13 tables, plasma at PE 10 and firearms at ME (mechanical) at 29 with a .50 cal browing. The PCs' best-in-the-universe lazer weapons have AE 38 (which means table LE 13 with a +25 focus bonus).

Time Shade's punch?

AE of 99. Enough to break even te party's best Heavy absorbtion shield belts I idiotically let them have (+125) in two punches, and he could make multiple punches...

Gillman's pitiful shield that was NOWHERE near that good got busted.

Time Shade's punch did triple damage, inflicted an additional Impact critical of the same severity (and 'F' crit as it happened), plus an Unbalancing critial of one severity (so that's an 'F' Martial Arts Striking (and 'F' is an 'E' and and 'A'), an 'F' Impact and an 'E' Unbalancing), plus a 'C' cold critical plus an RR verses 3 points of Constitution drain because Time Shade is a Lich and I am very, very mean.

Quote Originally Posted by First roll on E MA Strikes
    Spleen Rupture! He's spitting blood!He falls and dies in 12 rounds of writhing in agony. +20 [to your next attack]
    Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!! Not this time, Fish, not THIS TIME! At last, your number has finally come up!

Cue the party desperately trying to go "can we save him" And me telling them, several times "no, unless you specifically have Organ Law spell list - which neither mafe nor magic-NPC has - to instantly regenerate that organ, he is DEAD. No, you cannot perform surgery in the under two minutes beofre he dies. No, you don't have any drugs that will work. No, the healing pool won't heal that even if if teleport to it, this is one of RM's patent "he's down and dead slowly critical results, it is as terminal the 'you've been blown apart ones!' He be dead, dead, dead, dead."

So, rendered the rest of it a moot point.

But sadly, by this time, the PCs and the pair with the plasmatic repeaters (which as aforementioned, have unlimited ammunition) continued to spray Time Shade down with fire and start to give him effective crit damage which gave him penalities, which in turn reduced his adreanal defence.

He managed to punch one of them and stun her for four rounds (the mage, jedi AND medic rushed over, as they didn't have nowt else to do (after the mage has Hasted a couple of the suppressive firers) to try and remove her stuns), but it was a loosing battle for the Time Drake.

His last action was to get nasty and star using his muder-spells, the last one of which was a level 30 spell which inflicted an 'E' critical of his choice (he was a bit burned himself, so he went with fire) on the jedi, the irish trench fighter and the japanese-klingon ninja (she having an actual support weapon to do suppressive fire with). The latter resisted, the irish trench-fighter had to use invulnerability because otherwise he would have been incinerated to nothing and the jedi's chest was badly burned.

Time Shade was now flagging fast - pretty much one more hit would do it. The party's crack shot took this opportunity to fumble. Okay, the plasmatic-repeater explorer is up next. ("Great, my uncle will be well pleased if he gets the killing shot.) Hit, but was about a point or two shy of the next result which would have finished him, and left Time Shade on 4 hits (from 1200). Pilot next - he's not done much but shoot ineffectively, since he doesn't have an automatic weapon, so great, if he gets the kill! The pilot misses. The spy-character from the first time-travel party, who had been plinking away for the last couple of rounds for single-digit hit points was up next. "Yes," I thought, "this is thematic, she gets the kill, especially after having all combat done so little damage, oh, no she's fluffed it."

Back to top of round. Who is first? My favourite PC/NPC, the one who is in the top-tier of the party and whom I deliberately try to play down a bit these days because she's a bit OP (because RNG was for probably the one occasion, extremely kind to her stat gain rolls). She'd rolled natural 10s on her D10 initatiive for this combat, which I'd rolled my eyeglows at yesterday and was like "Hel Jen, look, tone it down duck, let the other have something..."

No.

Because Hel Jen was, "no, way dude!"

With a sigh of resignation, I reached up and said "right, guy, I'm doing this one in front of the screen."

Hel Jen deftly plugs Time Shade.

She just would NOT let that one pass...!

Time Shade is all like "I would have gotten away with it too, i not for you and your damn child...!" (Actual dying quote; Hel Jen started out as Jubilee expy and is, like, sixteen...)

Gillman is dying. "Any last words anyone, " say to the players.

"Can I have you flamethrower?" says the Japanese-Klingon ninja (on her third player, after both of my sisters played her, the current player being my niece (at fourteen).)

"yes," gasps Gillman, "just promise me you'll burn everyone with it."

And he expires.

So, Time Shade is down, for real reals this time, and the party do their ritual.

There is a luck-based RR to avoid taking an 'A' Time crit as their curses is forcibly scoured off by the ritual. I cut corners - it should be a D100 and 1-10, with severity being worse on a low roll, but I just had them roll a D10 (with only an 'A' crit being the failure.) Only Stan failed.

Natural 100 on 'A' Time crit.

Stan quietly crumbles to dust, bar a few loose teeth and bone fragments.

Probably for the best really, he was an insane psychopath and it was going to be difficult to know what to do with him once the party broke up, it wasn't like you could turn him loose or anything... Was he merely a madman with a chainsaw and a shot gun, or some sort of eldtich horror? No-one will ever know. Or Care. (Also actual Bleakbane quote.)

So party manage to recover a neat 20 million each from the temple, the temporal pulse of the ritual having killed the remaining monks else in the temple. The PCs can get tgheir high-tech mates to ust teleport them out and do a runner, possibly even leaving the Aotrs none the wiser as to what happened.

Everyone then got to choose what they would do; most of them retired. The jedi and his fiance to start an acedemy on his planet, two of the spies to found their own intelligence agency, the others on their own. The irsh trench-fightr was a criminal, so the nice guys that brought them apologetically imprisioned him (I mean, oh no, a soft prision in the highest tech Lawful Good-like society in the galaxy and about as close to the Culture as you can get, how awful.) He wanted to escape, though, so he was allowed to do so and even managed to take 11% (we rolled percentiles) of 20 million in stuff he'd got off them or managed to replciate and stash away and went on to try and find work as a mercenary - though not a criminal this time. (Which was as well, else his BNad Ending would have been him being killed with his pirate mates a few years down the line when they finally bit off more than they could chew.)

The Japanese-Klingon ninja went away with a strange desire to kill everyone else, carrying Gillman's flamethrower, and making everyone wonder if, perhaps, it was not Gillman, but his flamethrower after all...

(I mean, it WAS that which started off the first round or party killing on my 18th, and if the players are stupid enough to give me daft ideas...! Who knows where that might lead to down the line...!)

So all is well that ends well. Most of the party got their happy ending after tweny-plus years, Gillman actually FINALLY GOT SPLORTCHED and a good time was had by all.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Colossus in the Playground

Not to get too far off-topic, but I'd recommend that Bleackbane put the current run of Excalibur on his to-read list.

Jubilee is a prominent member, not a vampire anymore, with her powers restored, and she might become a sorcerer if some implications are going where I think they're going.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks