New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Book 6: Utterly Dwarfed (+2020 Calendar) now w/ reduced shipping to Europe + Cana

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage View Post
    Their email are in German and English, so I assume you can write them in English as well.
    Oh, I know that! There should maybe have been a comma before the "and" in my post, to indicate that asking my wife and emailing the Germans are two separate actions. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Nith View Post
    Very odd, you'd think they would drop off the Malmö packages before going on to Stockholm. But seeing as you only got part of your order there might have been some kind of screwup at some point in the delivery chain.
    Possibly. I was thinking they maybe fly the packages going to Stockholm, whereas the ones going to the south of Sweden seem to take the train. I got a door-delivery from Postnord though, never had that before. Didn't even know Postnord did door-deliveries of things that weigh more than a feather.

Anyway, I finished reading Utterly Dwarfed. I like the individual strips, but I'm always amazed at how much better the books are when taken as one big chunk of storytelling. The fact that they work both piecemeal and in bulk speaks to Rich's skill as a storyteller. Looking forward to the last instalment (as well as getting the third book, eventually).

2. - Top - End - #392
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Book 6: Utterly Dwarfed (+2020 Calendar) now w/ reduced shipping to Europe + Cana

Quote Originally Posted by nespunkt View Post
    Possibly. I was thinking they maybe fly the packages going to Stockholm, whereas the ones going to the south of Sweden seem to take the train. I got a door-delivery from Postnord though, never had that before. Didn't even know Postnord did door-deliveries of things that weigh more than a feather.
    I doubt that, flying is very expensive compared to trucks/ships/trains. As far as I know it's only really done with very expensive goods, and to remote places like Svalbard. But it's very possible the shipments are divided depending on where they are going so a truck wen't further north to some delivery center, and passed Skåne without stopping. I hope you get the rest of you order soon!

3. - Top - End - #393

Here's a post that's about the actual book rather than the delivery!

Spoiler: Utterly Dwarfed
    Show
    I'm sorry if I'm dumb, but I have to ask. In the first bonus strip, 960a, what does the one-legged man mean in the last panel? "We're talking during my stories?"

4. - Top - End - #394
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Here's a post that's about the actual book rather than the delivery!

Spoiler: Utterly Dwarfed
    Show
    I'm sorry if I'm dumb, but I have to ask. In the first bonus strip, 960a, what does the one-legged man mean in the last panel? "We're talking during my stories?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    People, at least in the U.S., used to refer to popular soap operas they'd listen to or watch as "my stories"; as in "I need to get home in time for my stories". The man was treating the drama being described as an equivalent.

5. - Top - End - #395

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    People, at least in the U.S., used to refer to popular soap operas they'd listen to or watch as "my stories"; as in "I need to get home in time for my stories". The man was treating the drama being described as an equivalent.
    Thanks! I'm not a native English speaker so I had no idea.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Very odd, you'd think they would drop off the Malmö packages before going on to Stockholm.
    Modern logistics are funny. They don't pause to drop stuff off. Things go directly from A hub to B hub and then to C sub-hub and so on. Regardless of distances sometimes.

E.g. On Saturday I went to the shop to buy chips, but they were almost entirely out. So I joke with cashier people stocked up on that and toiletpaper. She reminded me that although the factory making the chips is sitting 20 km away and could directly deliver if they wanted. Instead they ship everything to the mainland warehouse first. Likely, from there to grocer chain main warehouse, which then ships things back on the same truck it was brought over the sea to the town where they were made in the firsst place. Because somehow it saves on shipping that way.

TL:DR

The chips made in a factory 20km away from shop, first travel 300km roundway (and at least 1 day with a boat) to a mainland warehouse before shop can get it. And this is the economically rational way.

Also, Postnord, be lucky it don't fall out of the truck on the E4 close to Gränna or something.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2020-03-23 at 04:19 AM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Modern logistics are funny. They don't pause to drop stuff off. Things go directly from A hub to B hub and then to C sub-hub and so on. Regardless of distances sometimes.
    Also mistakes happen. I just had a package to be delivered from Atlanta. Instead of going to the Birmingham hub, it went to Miami International, making a 150 mile trip into 1500 miles, and I guarantee there's a direct ATL-BHM shipment, as big and busy as both those are. Someone or something just messed up. Ain't a system out there that's perfect.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #398
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    which then ships things back on the same truck it was brought over the sea to the town where they were made in the firsst place. Because somehow it saves on shipping that way.
    Economies of scale. The truck can carry the things to many places along its route in a single journey, rather than having to tie up a vehicle and a driver just to take a much smaller quantity to a single destination.

9. - Top - End - #399

I feel like there was a Freefall strip talking about this.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I feel like there was a Freefall strip talking about this.
    This is the closest I recall, though it feels a bit removed....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

11. - Top - End - #401

Found it, in the arc where Niomi and Florence go shopping.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Pixie in the Playground

Oookay so I just heard back from the Germans and ... they didn't receive enough books, so the other one "the other book will shipped by the publisher, because we don´t get enough books."

I think maybe the person at the other end of the line misunderstood my question, so I'm emailing for clarification, but if that's really the case I've gone from mildly amused to peeved or possibly quite annoyed. I hope Rich will be using someone other than Ookoodook for the remaining book(s). And I guess I need to email Ookoodook and ask them what the heck.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Orc in the Playground

Oookay so I just heard back from the Germans and ... they didn't receive enough books, so the other one "the other book will shipped by the publisher, because we don´t get enough books."

I think maybe the person at the other end of the line misunderstood my question, so I'm emailing for clarification, but if that's really the case I've gone from mildly amused to peeved or possibly quite annoyed. I hope Rich will be using someone other than Ookoodook for the remaining book(s). And I guess I need to email Ookoodook and ask them what the heck.
    Oh really. I mean, I was annoyed enough at the delays and lack of information as it was, but unless there's been a misunderstanding somewhere, that's another nail in the incompetence coffin for Ookoodook. I feel for you and I hope it gets sorted soon. And of course, if Ook sends the book themselves at this point you'll be hit with customs fees...

14. - Top - End - #404
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Damn, I gotta admit, reading the story in one go is much more rewarding.

I just read the fight between the order and Durkon... The 'Take em all' scene certainly had some oomph! while reading online... But it was a punch in the guts now... Had tears in my eyes on the bus...

15. - Top - End - #405
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Warder View Post
    Oh really. I mean, I was annoyed enough at the delays and lack of information as it was, but unless there's been a misunderstanding somewhere, that's another nail in the incompetence coffin for Ookoodook. I feel for you and I hope it gets sorted soon. And of course, if Ook sends the book themselves at this point you'll be hit with customs fees...
    Oh, I didn't even think of that. I was mainly worried about how Postnord only ever keeps packages for up to 14 days, which is incidentally the time you're supposed to quarantine if you're ill. I can imagine the timing here becoming miserable.

The Germans seem to be insisting that I will receive the other book "from the publisher". And now they're also angry with me for asking for clarification. Or at least they were somehow even more curt than in their first email; this may be standard levels of politeness over there, I can never tell when emailing foreign businesses.

I have also emailed Ookoodook, expecting a hasty reply within three fortnights.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ettin in the Playground

I got mail from Ookoodook that my order is on the way... after receiving and reading my book and calendar more than two weeks ago.

I guess that's kinda funny, but it leaves me somewhat puzzled.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    I got mail from Ookoodook that my order is on the way... after receiving and reading my book and calendar more than two weeks ago.
    Same here.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess that's kinda funny, but it leaves me somewhat puzzled.
    Oh yeah, everything I've ever ordered from them, I got the product before the email saying they sent it. *shrug*

19. - Top - End - #409
    Pixie in the Playground

Last update from me for a while (I think) : Ookoodook emailed back and said... they had simply not sent enough books to Germany and it was a mistake on their part. There's currently an embargo on a lot of kinds of shipments from the US to Europe, for pandemic-related reasons, and that is expected to be lifted on April the sixth. I highly doubt that it will be so, so I suppose I'll receive my book in half a year or something. I'm back to feeling amused, because there's really nothing I can do. I want to buy book 1 and 2 in the future, to complete the collection, and I hope there'll be some reasonable alternative for this.

May all of your sticks be orderly, and such. Peace.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I want to buy book 1 and 2 in the future, to complete the collection, and I hope there'll be some reasonable alternative for this.
    If you don't mind feeding an already obese beast, there is a certain online shop called something like the rain forest, who has most of the main books.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post
    If you don't mind feeding an already obese beast, there is a certain online shop called something like the rain forest, who has most of the main books.
    Ah, I think ... forum rules prevent me from explaining why I do mind that, if I'm not mistaken, but I appreciate the suggestion. I know a bookshop that has had them before, and is currently stocking the Good Deeds book, so I believe I'll contact them.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Ah, I think ... forum rules prevent me from explaining why I do mind that, if I'm not mistaken, but I appreciate the suggestion. I know a bookshop that has had them before, and is currently stocking the Good Deeds book, so I believe I'll contact them.
    It's always preferable to support your locals.
    My local stores sadly don't have the books.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I bought Good Deeds off Adlibris.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2020-04-02 at 06:49 AM.

24. - Top - End - #414

Default Any reason why the 2020 digital calendar can't be purchased?

I purchased digital book 6 without a hitch.

I was delighted to see the 2020 spell calendar was also available in digital format, but the page to buy it says "This product is not currently for sale.". What gives? Did they run out of digital copies.[/semi_sarcastic] Would like to be able to purchase this as well!

25. - Top - End - #415
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Any reason why the 2020 digital calendar can't be purchased?

Quote Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
    I purchased digital book 6 without a hitch.

I was delighted to see the 2020 spell calendar was also available in digital format, but the page to buy it says "This product is not currently for sale.". What gives? Did they run out of digital copies.[/semi_sarcastic] Would like to be able to purchase this as well!
    The Giant prefers to not clutter up the shop page with digital calendars past the dates most people typically purchase them, IIRC.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #416

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    The Giant prefers to not clutter up the shop page with digital calendars past the dates most people typically purchase them, IIRC.
    Well that's a shame. I use digital calendars anyways, and buy these sorts of ones for entertainment and/or collecting instead. Ugh.. hope they can be made available later on!

27. - Top - End - #417
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
    Well that's a shame. I use digital calendars anyways, and buy these sorts of ones for entertainment and/or collecting instead. Ugh.. hope they can be made available later on!
    IIRC, in the past they've gotten put back up for sale in the fall, when the new calendar is announced. Apparently no one buys them throughout the year otherwise. I was able to pick up digital versions of the whole set last December.
    Last edited by rgrekejin; 2020-04-07 at 09:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Pixie in the Playground

Got the same thing here in the Netherlands and thought I might have ordered it twice by mistake, way back when.
    I emailed Ookoodook just in case, but hopefully it was a mistake and I won't receive (and get billed for) another one.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I just got this mysterious second e-mail as well!

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

Did you get two such emails? Because every time I've ordered with ookoodook, I got an email telling me my order was on the way after receiving it. Every single time. So if you only got the email once I wouldn't worry about it.