New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Book 6: Utterly Dwarfed (+2020 Calendar) now available for pre-order!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I like the composition of the cover. For those in the know, the vampire facing away from the Order show he really isn't a part of the team. For those not in the know, it conceals that he is a vampire, leading to a delightful surprise and hopefully more materials purchased from the Giant's fine vendors.

Awesome work, Rich.

*golfclap*
    But he turned into a vampire in the previous book.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Book 6: Utterly Dwarfed (+2020 Calendar) now available for pre-order!

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    Seeing how the postage is, lets say steep and leave it at that... is there a way to get in contact with the seller/warehouse and let them know I'd like to add a calendar to my order as well? I'd really prefer not to pay that kind of money for postage again.
    Cancel your order and open a new order with both items.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage View Post
    Cancel your order and open a new order with both items.
    You can do that?

Learn something new everyday, I guess...

...erm, how would one go around doing that?
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    But he turned into a vampire in the previous book.
    Yes, but it's easy to see the cover before you're ready to read the book and thus have it spoil things to you. It's a really nice solution to a potential problem that hadn't even occurred to me.
    ungelic is us

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

I am 1) excited about the new book, 2) sad that this arc is coming to an end because D is my favorite and 3) amazed that it's been 5 years already since the previous book came out.
    My personal folder is a graveyard of ideas, stuck in their dream phase.
    The "DM won't kill us" attitude is a bubble that sometimes needs to be bursted.
    There's an armor variant rule in UA that will drastically increase character survivability without completely bubble-wrapping them in plot invulnerability
    Throphies won:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thanks for making the PDF available, pre-ordered

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    As I said to someone on Twitter, the reason I didn't use a pun about Hel is that it's not her story. It's Durkon's. And Sigdi's. I wanted a title that reflected them, and the nice thing about "dwarf" is that it doubles to also mean "to make look small in comparison" such as, say, next to a god, or an infinite void filled with gravestones. So it also reflects this book's place in the overall story, which is to zoom out and show that it's a much bigger problem even than they thought it was.
    Thanks, that comes across very well in the title. *tips cap*
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I'm guessing this is the best we're going to get for international shipping?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Past experience suggest such services only go up in price, yes. Ookoodook is unlikely to be expanding operations to Canada (or France or Spain, where wikipedia just told me there are other Montreals), I'm afraid.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-07-30 at 12:47 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Garwain View Post
    I am 1) excited about the new book, 2) sad that this arc is coming to an end because D is my favorite and 3) amazed that it's been 5 years already since the previous book came out.
    "D"? Did Durkon become an Elven wizard while we weren't looking?
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

11. - Top - End - #41
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Yes, but it's easy to see the cover before you're ready to read the book and thus have it spoil things to you. It's a really nice solution to a potential problem that hadn't even occurred to me.
    Right, this.

Think of it this way: From this day forward, every single new reader of OOTS has the possibility to see this cover before they read Blood Runs in the Family. And one of the ways I've most often heard that current readers get new readers to give it a try is by loaning them all of the books, so it's not even an unlikely scenario.

As it is, I regret that the cover of Don't Split the Party sort of spoils Roy's death in War and XPs, though at least the "ghost Roy" is moderately ambiguous—it could represent Roy scrying on the others, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    You can do that?

Learn something new everyday, I guess...

...erm, how would one go around doing that?
    I would say yes, go ahead and cancel and reorder, but I don't actually know how to do that with Ookoodook's software. So if anyone does, feel free to post instructions.

I should also point out that if anyone has any issues that might need personal attention from a member of the Ookoodook staff, this week is going to be very bad for that due to the fact that they're all going to GenCon. So give them until next week before getting mad that they didn't respond.

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Probably. Kevin from Ook has told me he has a lead on a service that might reduce it, but that may not pan out.* If they do come up with a way to reduce the price, they will refund the difference to everyone who paid more, so if you can technically afford it (and would merely prefer it to be less) then you can go ahead and pre-order, knowing that if they reduce it later you won't lose out. Or you can wait, but I doubt there will ever be a specific point where I'll be able to say categorically, "Nope, it's definitely never getting better."

* I'm informed that one of the reasons it's so high is that a deal with a previous service that had agreed to fulfill the books locally in Canada and Europe collapsed at the last minute, and there wasn't time for them to find another one before I needed the book to go on sale.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Probably. Kevin from Ook has told me he has a lead on a service that might reduce it, but that may not pan out.* If they do come up with a way to reduce the price, they will refund the difference to everyone who paid more, so if you can technically afford it (and would merely prefer it to be less) then you can go ahead and pre-order, knowing that if they reduce it later you won't lose out. Or you can wait, but I doubt there will ever be a specific point where I'll be able to say categorically, "Nope, it's definitely never getting better."

* I'm informed that one of the reasons it's so high is that a deal with a previous service that had agreed to fulfill the books locally in Canada and Europe collapsed at the last minute, and there wasn't time for them to find another one before I needed the book to go on sale.
    Good to know.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Would there be any shame in ordering the book in another online store?
    I'm not talking about the Big A, but a store dedicated to geeks and nerds without the high shipping fees associated with shipping to Germany.
    I want to support the Giant as much as I want to have my own copy of Utterly Dwarfed, but paying 50 bucks just for shipping makes me think twice...

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post
    Would there be any shame in ordering the book in another online store?
    I'm not talking about the Big A, but a store dedicated to geeks and nerds without the high shipping fees associated with shipping to Germany.
    I want to support the Giant as much as I want to have my own copy of Utterly Dwarfed, but paying 50 bucks just for shipping makes me think twice...
    I was under the impression that it's an Ookoodook exclusive, so it seems unlikely other online stores will offer it. {Jossed}

That said, I understand physical stores do sell the book and thus you might be able to purchase it from your local geek culture den, especially if they have stocked previous volumes in the past.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-07-31 at 07:52 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I was under the impression that it's an Ookoodook exclusive, so it seems unlikely other online stores will offer it.

That said, I understand physical stores do sell the book and thus you might be able to purchase it from your local geek culture den, especially if they have stocked previous volumes in the past.

Grey Wolf
    I was able to buy previous volumes at that store, too. Was there a change in policy regarding the latest book?

And sadly, no, I haven't been able to find any stores providing OotS material.
    We have a comic store in town that has most books from Marvel and DC and others, but I once asked whether I could order OotS there as well and never heard from them again.

16. - Top - End - #46

No, Utterly Dwarfed is not an Ookoodook exclusive, and yes, it is fine with me if you'd prefer to get it from a local store. I still get paid from bookstore sales, which is what that would be even if it was online.

The calendar is an Ookoodook exclusive, like it always is, because it's a niche product with a seasonal selling window.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Could you please add this book (plus the calendar and the A Monster For Every Season Spring 2 book) to the OotS shopping page, so that we can find every book conveniently in the same place?

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post
    I was able to buy previous volumes at that store, too. Was there a change in policy regarding the latest book?
    Nope, no change in policy. You should be able to get Book 6 anywhere you have gotten the books before.

-----------------

Just to clarify how things work for everyone: There are two ways to get the physical book—through Ookoodook and through Someplace Else. All of the Someplace Else orders are exactly the same, from my point of view. It doesn't matter if they are selling it in a bookstore or a small custom website or Amazon or off the back of a turnip truck. I get paid the same amount for all of them. They are all 100% fine.

The Ookoodook orders give me a higher percentage of the cover price, and as a result, we work with them directly. There's no distributor or supplier, it's just me shipping a bunch of books to them and them mailing them out. So Ookoodook sales will likely get to you faster because I ship the books to Ookoodook and my marketing broker on the same day, then the broker mails them to distributors, who mail them to stores, which mail them to you. And if you want to maximize your support to me, then buying from Ookoodook is the way to do so because I don't have to pay the store, the distributor, and the broker. (It also helps me actually pay for the print run, as I mentioned before, because they will send me money right away while Someplace Else money won't show up until February or so.)

But buying the book at all is still supporting me, and I don't want people to feel that they must buy from Ookoodook. Buy from wherever you feel comfortable buying.

And just in general—Let's not anyone else answer questions on here unless you're 100% certain of the answer (such as if you're quoting me). It doesn't help me for anyone to spread wrong information.
    Rich Burlew

19. - Top - End - #49
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

NOOOO we are not allowed to be close to the end of the storyline! Giant you must decide to tinker and add another 40 pages on a sidequest to explain a random dwarfs joke! THANKS!

20. - Top - End - #50

SolithKnightGuy

I am illiterate and pre-ordered from Gumroad before realizing that was a digital pre-order when I wanted the physical pre-order. Gumroad doesn't have an option to do anything with my order and if you search the help it basically tells you to contact the shop owner. I've e-mailed them explaining my desire to cancel but don't have a response yet - in the meantime I figured I'd post here. Is there some channel you want communication regarding orders to go through? Like an 'orders' e-mail address or something - or should we just contact you via PM?

I apologize for my illiteracy.

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Typewriter View Post
    I am illiterate and pre-ordered from Gumroad before realizing that was a digital pre-order when I wanted the physical pre-order. Gumroad doesn't have an option to do anything with my order and if you search the help it basically tells you to contact the shop owner. I've e-mailed them explaining my desire to cancel but don't have a response yet - in the meantime I figured I'd post here. Is there some channel you want communication regarding orders to go through? Like an 'orders' e-mail address or something - or should we just contact you via PM?
    Yes, send an email to productsupport at giantitp.com and someone will refund it.

Although I just got a message saying that a pre-order was canceled, so they might have already taken care of it for you (if your email begins with the letter "p").
    Rich Burlew

22. - Top - End - #52

SolithKnightGuy

Yep it looks like it got taken care of. Sorry for jumping the gun and posting here when it all got taken care of by Gumroad after all. I need to find a third way to mess up now so that I can complete the hat trick.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Super excited for both of these products! This thread is basically Christmas in July.

Peelee’s Lotsey

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Typewriter View Post
    Yep it looks like it got taken care of. Sorry for jumping the gun and posting here when it all got taken care of by Gumroad after all. I need to find a third way to mess up now so that I can complete the hat trick.
    Make a donation at GoFundMe and type in the wrong amount. Messing up, but in a good way.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

I just pre-ordered. I was worried because we're moving soon, hopefully before December, and I'm not sure my address will be correct then. But Tina B from Oookodook helpfully let me know that it's easy to change addresses before they ship, if necessary:

"yes, just email me prior to shipping and I can go in and change it at any time. Make sure you put urgent on the subject line and address change as I get about 1000 emails in december."

(We're downsizing, but OOTS still gets space on the new bookshelf, next to LOTR and HHG...)

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

A new moderately improved art style that makes some things look better and others worse!
    Everything in the new style has looked great, no idea what you're talking about.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Question Re: Book 6: Utterly Dwarfed (+2020 Calendar) now available for pre-order!

I have a question:

Until now I haven't bought calendars because shipping costs to my country is a pain in the neck and I hadn't realized you could buy a digital version of the calendars. When I realized I could just buy a PDF though I ended up preordering the new Calendar while I was at it.

The trouble is, I really like the artwork I've seen from this calendar, the Monster Season books and so on and I would like to purchase the old calendars as well, but they are all out of print. Now I can see why there wouldn't be any point in bothering to make more physical copies of an outdated calendar, but as far as I can tell it costs nothing to keep digital files up for sale.

Is there any chance that the old calendars can be made available on Gumroad again? Or alternatively that some form of Art Book collection can be sold for those of us who just want the art itself but don't feel the need for a calendar?

28. - Top - End - #58

Rich generally makes the old calendar pdfs available for sale for the holidays. I think there's a collected one that has the first four.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Rich generally makes the old calendar pdfs available for sale for the holidays. I think there's a collected one that has the first four.
    Good to know. Thanks.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Who is the hobgoblin in the background of the Calendar? Is he that cleric from GDGU?
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.