New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: OOTS #1172 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    I've always thought this was kind of a silly point. I don't see how switching to a different logic and calculating the number of deaths caused by each course of action during the last fraction of a second before a crash would be meaningfully better than just keeping the "avoid crashing" functions running during that fraction of a second.
    I admit to being a bit of a pessimist who believes that if you cling to trying to achieve a perfect result when the odds are too low you might end up with a worse result than if you aimed for a suboptimal result with better odds of success. Of course that doesn't mean I encourage giving up when there's still the realistic possibility of success.

2. - Top - End - #362

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    I admit to being a bit of a pessimist...
    The best way for a human on a street (not a track) reduce the severity of any crash is to slam on the brakes as hard as you can while trying to steer away from the hard stuff while you come to a stop.

That’s probably all an automated car will do.

Cars might also signal their evasive maneuvers in a way that other cars can understand their intent, and choose more appropriate maneuvers (like signaling “I am slamming on my brakes and turning left” so the car behind can say “ok, then I will slam on my brakes and turn right”).

But counting the number of people in each car and running the trolley problem? Fun to imagine, but not likely to happen.

3. - Top - End - #363

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I would say the biggest cause of accidents can be summed up in one simple phrase that encapsulates all those things: "Not being predicable." If someone is predictable, then a collision is very likely avoidable... Tiredness, impaired judgement, overconfidence, all these things wreck predictability.
    Not just people: stalls, sudden blowouts, potholes, trash in the road, wildlife darting across the highway, car fires, catastrophic engine failure, lightning, sudden sandstorms, unexpected loss of traction, etc. We’ve all seen how the machine learning models suffer from training data bias: they do well when the request is right in its wheelhouse, and fail embarrassingly when confronted with low-data problems.

Edit: I don’t program self-driving vehicles. My degree is in computational linguistics/NLP, the application of machine learning to natural language.
    Last edited by Fish; 2019-07-30 at 02:55 PM.

4. - Top - End - #364

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    I'm still a bit confused by people thinking the IFCC have this factored into their plans at all.
    I'm sure they're improvising, no way they planned to take V out when they did before at least when she fell into the pit, and even then they had no way of knowing if they needed to do it until he decided destroying it was the wrong decision.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    I'm curious if the Three Fiends are going to pull V out of the fight before V can unpetrify Durkon if that is time sensitive. Do they want the world destroyed?
    I don't think the world going kablooey is conductive to the Fiends plans.
    No, whatever their goals, it involves this world.

So if they take V out of the game then only to protect them.
    Assuming their plans still involve the elf that is.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

6. - Top - End - #366
    Halfling in the Playground

Interesting... the dwarves have mentioned that half of them are being dominated in Dvalin's proxy's presence. Dvalin swore an oath to follow the *will* of the dwarven council. If he realizes that the vote is being manipulated, it doesn't seem like there's anything stopping him from just ignoring their votes and saying "no" at the godsmoot.

7. - Top - End - #367

Kobold

Hey, there! I've been watching the webcomic for about a year now (or at least from the part where they fought the ice giants), and finally decided to join the forum to discuss the chapters.

Anyway, I have a theory about something I think people are overlooking. While I agree about Durkon's hammer returning and making another hole in the roof, what are the chances that BEFORE it returns, it ends up hitting something else, say a certain vessel the Order has forgotten about?

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gbs5009 View Post
    Interesting... the dwarves have mentioned that half of them are being dominated in Dvalin's proxy's presence. Dvalin swore an oath to follow the *will* of the dwarven council. If he realizes that the vote is being manipulated, it doesn't seem like there's anything stopping him from just ignoring their votes and saying "no" at the godsmoot.
    Ignoring their votes is not following the will of the council. At best he'd wait for them to be de-dominated. At worst, the laws say nothing about domination invalidating the vote, and thus he doesn't care that they are dominated. Realistically, he has no way of telling - he cannot see through the eyes of his priest, and he refuses to directly observe the deliberations, since that too would interfere with the will of the council.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gbs5009 View Post
    We've been discussing this "will of the council" thing since Dvalin spoke about it many strips ago. No decisive conclusions have been achieved, with some passionate arguments from both sides.

The "will of the council" may be "the true desires of the council members' hearts, the desires they would express if they weren't under domination", or "the result of the council vote, performed under the established protocols" (regardless if any of the council members were under magical control, blackmail, drug effects or just in a bad mood day).

I have my preference, but I'll refrain to bring it here, for the sake of avoiding this fight all over again.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5crownik007 View Post
    Hah, I think Durkon has a cunning plan.
    "This is no time for cunning plans and crazy capers!"
    "Aw, you never want to do cunning plans and crazy capers!"

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    It's probably already been said, so I'll go ahead and say it anyways:

"...But I would not feel so all alone,
    Everybody must get stoned..."
    a Rainy Day would kind of ruin Durkon's plan, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by NihhusHuotAliro View Post
    I suspect that something will come through the hole that was just made in the ceiling.

Well, something other than sunlight and air.

Not sure what it's going to be, but I have a feeling that the purpose of the hole is for entry, rather than destruction.
    I think it's just sunlight, honestly. I said before that I thought the hammer would be part of Durkon's solution since it was the only element we know about that the vampires don't. The Ex-Exarch doesn't know the hammer magically returns to its user; I think it's going to do a lot more damage on its way in than out.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    I have my preference, but I'll refrain to bring it here, for the sake of avoiding this fight all over again.
    I, on the other hand, would prefer to talk about the comic rather than the tyranny of the majority of self-driving Coruscanti car-planes. Or just to use that phrase, because it amuses me.

And to that end, I'm pretty sure Dvalin isn't going to discard the council votes because of the magical domination...primarily because it'll only come up if Durkon is superfluous to the resolution here; but also because Dvalin's already expressed a preference, and most variants of "I don't need the Council's vote to know their will" would still apply if they weren't magically dominated.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

12. - Top - End - #372
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Do you suppose Thor could get a precision lightning strike through that hole? And would Dwalin be very angry at him if he killed the high priest to delay this vote?
    So Thor and Loki both showed up to stop Hel from interfering while all the eyes of the gods were on the inside of the council chamber to watch the proceedings. But now it's being suggested that Thor could slip something by to interfere on the proceedings where all the gods are watching and not get called out on it by Hel and the other gods who voted yes?

13. - Top - End - #373
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why would direct observation be considered interference? All the other gods are doing it, and even with Thor and Loki standing in the same room as Hel, they didn't think her showing the chamber in her cauldron was cheaty enough to call her on it.

There's a difference between a self-driving car robot and a modern car with lowjacking, collision avoidance, fancy airbags, power doors and windows, antilock brakes, computer-assisted fuel pumping and a radio keyfob. If you require a human sitting in the driver's seat making decisions, all those computer systems can fail, and if they're well designed they can fail safe such that the human can safely override the car's dumb decisions and bring it safely to a stop, or even continue to drive it in full manual takeover. Not saying all modern cars ARE well-designed; I've driven a car at highway speeds when it decides to shut off and lock the steering wheel, and that's not fun at all. Luckily I was able to restart it long enough to pull over. (There was a problem with the steering column and the car decided I didn't "really" have a key in the ignition, but I could hold the key in "start" and it would unlock the steering column).

With a car robot, you are supposed to be able to do that, but in reality, you can't. When the computer fails, it cannot fail safe, and therefore any major failure is a life critical failure. I personally have been in more than one situation where, if the car I was in was a self-driving car and had failed in the way that my car that I was driving DID fail, I would have died.

Don't get me wrong, car robots are the next step on the path to giant mecha, which are inherently good, but there's some serious problems with the current iteration of the technology and pretending otherwise can and does cause innocent bystanders harm.
    Last edited by diremage; 2019-07-30 at 03:40 PM.

14. - Top - End - #374

Quote Originally Posted by diremage View Post
    Why would direct observation be considered interference? All the other gods are doing it, and even with Thor and Loki standing in the same room as Hel, they didn't think her showing the chamber in her cauldron was cheaty enough to call her on it.

There's a difference between a self-driving car robot and a modern car with lowjacking, collision avoidance, fancy airbags, power doors and windows, antilock brakes, computer-assisted fuel pumping and a radio keyfob. If you require a human sitting in the driver's seat making decisions, all those computer systems can fail, and if they're well designed they can fail safe such that the human can safely override the car's dumb decisions and bring it safely to a stop, or even continue to drive it in full manual takeover. Not saying all modern cars ARE well-designed; I've driven a car at highway speeds when it decides to shut off and lock the steering wheel, and that's not fun at all. Luckily I was able to restart it long enough to pull over. (There was a problem with the steering column and the car decided I didn't "really" have a key in the ignition, but I could hold the key in "start" and it would unlock the steering column).

With a car robot, you are supposed to be able to do that, but in reality, you can't. When the computer fails, it cannot fail safe, and therefore any major failure is a life critical failure.

Don't get me wrong, car robots are the next step on the path to giant mecha, which are inherently good, but there's some serious problems with the current iteration of the technology and pretending otherwise can and does cause innocent bystanders harm.
    Self driving cars are safer than human drivers, we have evidence that says that, I don't see why "they don't eliminate 100% of fatalities" is at all an effective argument.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I, on the other hand, would prefer to talk about the comic rather than the tyranny of the majority of self-driving Coruscanti car-planes. Or just to use that phrase, because it amuses me.

And to that end, I'm pretty sure Dvalin isn't going to discard the council votes because of the magical domination...primarily because it'll only come up if Durkon is superfluous to the resolution here; but also because Dvalin's already expressed a preference, and most variants of "I don't need the Council's vote to know their will" would still apply if they weren't magically dominated.
    I must defer to your wisdow, Oh Wise Banana. (And also, I agree with you about Dvalin respecting the vote, whatever result it produces)
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    S
    Maybe this is a cultural thing but I’m amazed so many people are willing to let a computer rule their life
    I take this to mean you've never flown in a plane before? Because if you have, like 95% of the flying that went on was done solely by computer.

I'm actually more amazed that we still let humans operate 3000lb death machines at 60mph.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2019-07-30 at 03:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not. b_Jonas suggested Thor do a Tactical Lightning strike to fry Dvalin's Priest so the vote couldn't go on.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I take this to mean you've never flown in a plane before? Because if you have, like 95% of the flying that went on was done solely by computer.

I'm actually more amazed that we still let humans operate 1 ton death machines at 60mph.
    Robots can be hacked
    But humans can get drunk

Q.E.D.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

19. - Top - End - #379
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's fine. V can fix him.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Dwarf in the Playground

i'm definitely going to have to backread to find out how this thread got derailed to computer controlled vehicles.

also, i knew that firmament was close to the surface, but not that the roof was THAT close to the surface of the mountain. the roof of the council chamber must be connected to the ceiling of the hollow area around it.
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

21. - Top - End - #381
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Self driving cars are safer than human drivers, we have evidence that says that, I don't see why "they don't eliminate 100% of fatalities" is at all an effective argument.
    New self-driving cars, in good repair, with wealthy yuppies behind the wheel, have a lower rate of accidents than the average car which is 11.7 years old.

In other news, more doctors smoke Camels than any other cigarette, the pesticide DDT has no harmful effects, and people with a latex allergy have a higher rate of fertility than the average.

Quote Originally Posted by gatemansgc View Post
    i'm definitely going to have to backread to find out how this thread got derailed to computer controlled vehicles.

also, i knew that firmament was close to the surface, but not that the roof was THAT close to the surface of the mountain. the roof of the council chamber must be connected to the ceiling of the hollow area around it.
    Page 2. The comic features a self-driving hammer, the thread is still on-topic.

I thought the council chamber was its own stand-alone building, and we just didn't see the area between the two roofs.

Edit: Looks like the best view is 1155 panel 2, and I guess I saw the columns and thought "Greco-roman architecture," and just assumed there'd be a dome.

Could've sworn we DO see a dome inside somewhere but I don't think we ever actually see the roof from outside.

Edit edit: We DO see the dome in 1172 panel 13, where the hammer punches through it, but we don't see the outside of the dome. Hmm.
    Last edited by diremage; 2019-07-30 at 04:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #382

Kobold

Seriously, nobody is interested in my theory about the hammer hitting the Mechane?

23. - Top - End - #383
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I dunno what hitting the mechane would do, to be honest. no dwarves on board, so no one can enter. No magic, either. Shoot arrows at vampires hiding from the sun? kill dwarves?

24. - Top - End - #384

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I'm sure they're improvising, no way they planned to take V out when they did before at least when she fell into the pit, and even then they had no way of knowing if they needed to do it until he decided destroying it was the wrong decision.
    They have specific plans for their time, though, even if we don't know what it is. This, meanwhile, is not something they had any way of seeing the Order getting involved in.

I'm sure they're aware it's happening, but in a "let's hurry up and get back to the good stuff" way not "well, guess we have to use one of our goes here" way.

This book is almost over, and V and the rest of the Order are basically on the sidelines now. Actually taking V away here would just seem very out of place.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2019-07-30 at 05:04 PM.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

New self-driving cars, in good repair, with wealthy yuppies behind the wheel, have a lower rate of accidents than the average car which is 11.7 years old.

In other news, more doctors smoke Camels than any other cigarette, the pesticide DDT has no harmful effects, and people with a latex allergy have a higher rate of fertility than the average.
    So let me get this straight: all things being equal, you think a human is better at driving a vehicle?

26. - Top - End - #386
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Edward15 View Post
    Seriously, nobody is interested in my theory about the hammer hitting the Mechane?
    This message works so well with your avatar.

27. - Top - End - #387

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by AutomatedTeller View Post
    I dunno what hitting the mechane would do, to be honest. no dwarves on board, so no one can enter. No magic, either. Shoot arrows at vampires hiding from the sun? kill dwarves?
    I'm saying that the hammer might hit the ship by accident and cause it to crash. Something has to happen to complicate the Order getting to the Kraggor's Tomb.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Something has to happen to complicate the Order getting to the Kraggor's Tomb.
    Why?
    Wheee!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah, I forgot that the petrification automatically ends when the meeting is over. So no need to blow a Stone to Flesh or whatever.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #390

HalflingRogueGuy

What? I made the Deus ex Mechane joke!