New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: OOTS #1172 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    Note: This account operated by a GPT-2 based chatbot, version 2.71828.
    Nice job using e instead of the more common pi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manty5 View Post
    They're actually wagering G P's from monster-san's scrabble stash.
    See what I quoted here: Quotes from Fyraltari
    Also this post from Fyraltari.
    See this post from Mortsdeer.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: So this is a thread about self-driving cars now
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Oh no! That’s the beauty of machine learning! We’ll have literally no idea how cars work.
    We'll have a better idea of how the cars work than how our brains work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Well, we'll know for sure a thing or two about how the engine work and what side of the road cars should roll over in normal circumstances.
    We'll have no idea how car think, but since we have no idea how people do it either that can't possibly be a problem, right?
    At the end of the day, we'll handle both systems the same way; you get taught, if you do well enough you can keep driving, otherwise we kick you off the road. The big difference is that we can copy a self-driving program that works well to millions of different cars, whereas legal and ethical restrictions prevent us from copying the mind of a good driver into everyone who drives a car. (Also, the self-driving cars risk existential annihilation for failure where humans would only get a fine.)

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    Also, maybe we know what it is going to do? (Wolfram's proposal is really interesting. The applicable part is the bit about computation contracts to specify what the AI could do.)
    Cool on several levels. Thanks for sharing the link!

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    I actually don't think you even NEED that much machine learning to have working self-driven cars - at least in the scenario that ALL cars are computer-controlled.
    Assuming all pedestrians, bikers, and passing wildlife are also computer-controlled? Sure. Otherwise, making self-driving cars isn't meaningfully simpler than if some cars are still human-driven.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Hackers? Bah.

The part that worries me about self-driving cars is that sooner or later, some bright spark will realize that a car is now a cage for a captive audience that can be delivered to whatever destination a bunch of advertisers wish it to be. You get in the car and sit around watching ads on a screen. You say, “Take me to Pizza Stockade.” It replies, “If you want pizza, let’s go to Pizza Fortress!” and you don’t have a way to override the controls. And you’ll sign a User Agreement when you buy the car (or rent the autocab) that signs away your rights to decide where you’re going.
    The only time people have agreed to things like that have been A. when nothing obviously tangible was on the line and B. when some service was being offered in return (e.g, watching an ad that consumes nothing but time and phone charge before you can play a game). I can't think of any way to make that sort of business model work when the end user has to literally surrender their right to decide where they get to go. Especially since Pizza Fortress is unlikely to get enough unwilling customers to balance out the horrible backlash they'd get for kidnapping said customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That already exists as a concept. It's called "kidnapping." I highly doubt anyone would be dumb enough to implicate themselves by putting their intent to kidnap in writing before the fact. But hey, I'm always willing to be surprised.
    And also in computer code, which is in some ways far more damning than asking people to sign over their right to be kidnapped. One just says "I might kidnap you when I feel like it," the other explicitly says "I will kidnap anyone who meets these conditions".

Spoiler: Ways the Plot Won't Be Resolved
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I would imagine that "giving someone a gift" isn't against the law though. So he should have just brought Belkar's clasp of Protection from Evil and given it to one of the dominated clan members, who would in turn give it to the next Dominated clan member. Even if it was against the rules, I imagine you could drop it on their head before turning into stone, and then they could drop it on the head of their neighbor, etc. Having half the council be Stone would be better than having them all be Dominated.
    Durkon Elan: "Here, councilman who's been dominated by a vampire! Please, accept this gift of a clasp which absolutely isn't enchanted with anything!"
    Gontor: "...No."

Quote Originally Posted by robbie374 View Post
    What if the council just made the rule, "For a vote to be officially counted, the voter must stand in the ray of sunlight in full view of all, explain his position at length, and raise his hand to declare his vote"?
    Gontor isn't casting a vote, he doesn't need to stand in the sun. As far as we know, only vampires themselves are hurt by sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraithfighter View Post
    I'm guessing this has already been brought up... but in a story full of rules-lawyering already, including by Lawful types like Thor and Durkon, couldn't Dvalin just say "Uh, I can plainly see that all of the people voting 'Yes' are dominated by vampires, which means that they are not voting, the vampires are voting, who do not have standing here to cast a vote"?
    It's not entirely clear how Dvalin's oath to the dwarves went, but it seems that it doesn't require him to actually pay more attention to the proceedings than the clan heads and their families do. And given that this entire arc has painted dwarven honor as being sillily restrictive, it's quite possible that he forgot to write himself an "In case of obvious stupidity" clause into the oath.

Spoiler: Misc
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    I'm kind of confused why some of you are talking about respecting the council members being willing to sacrifice themselves, when it was clear at first they didn't actually think the situation was real and were merely speaking hypothetically or were being tested.
    Because some people take things people say when they "know" they're being tested more seriously than they should.

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I just assume most posts in this forum are on autopilot and everyone's just testing to see if their chatbot can learn morality.
    I am on the GitP website so you are a robot.

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    dare we hope that Durkon also has some ranks in Knowledge (Engineering)
    Clerics don't get enough skill points to tie their own shoelaces, and while Durkon has a higher Intelligence than Elan or Belkar, it doesn't seem exceptional.
    But he still has some skill points. If he doesn't spend them on Knowledge (religion) or Spot, what does he spend them on? Could be cross-class ranks in (Architecture & Engineering).

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    And she only got to that point because not a single dwarf cleric or paladin thought "Screw it, we'll set up a payment plan after I cure disease".
    I assume that most churches have doctrine forbidding their clergy from forming HMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Nah, we have the destination of the self-driving threads set to Star Wars here. We're trying to get a chatbot that can write a better script than the Prequel movies.
    So far, all we've gotten are ones that bitch about the sequels.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"You know where to hit it lad, just like yer pa did."

Heh, good innuendo.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Pixie in the Playground

"If there is only one choice - to accept, or to be imprisoned, until you accept - is it truly a choice at all?"

I heard this puzzle somewhere else recently. It seems startlingly relevant here.

The non-dominated elders have realized that the dominated outnumber them, AND they've realized that the vote is very likely going to result in the end of the world, if it resolves.

They can't easily overturn the vote, but they could stall for time. Perhaps if they were very determined, they could sit and refuse to take any action for days or weeks. However long it would take to starve or dehydrate.

And if they don't have the guts to take that kind of stand, Sigdi is there. She might have something inspiring to say, to get them to stall for the good of the world. And that might well be the difference, to give the adventurers and warriors time to figure something out.

(this probably won't happen, but if it does, I want it on record that I called it. : P)

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Pelee be sleeted!

That close enough?
    Pelee
    *eye twitch*
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-07-29 at 06:27 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #216
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alias View Post
    Well, on the upside being turned to stone drastically increases your changes of surviving a ceiling collapse.
    I'm not too sure about that. Sure, you're less likely to die of internal injuries that way, but being pounded into dust can't be good for your "survival" as a statue. Plus, a buried dwarf could probably still call for help when the search and rescue teams start coming around; a statue might never be found (and presumed dead), which is probably as bad as dying, if not worse. Also, in Durkon's case in particular, the odds don't look so good; he threw a returning hammer, which has just been shown to be capable of penetrating several feet of rock, and it's going to be coming straight back to him.

In regards to the council's response, though, I don't think a "yes" response has such an optimistic outcome. Granted, the elders are willing to risk their own eternal rewards for the greater good, which is honorable, but none of the dwarves in their domain are able to make that same choice; if there were more time and it were a popular vote of the entire dwarven population, it'd look better for them, but as it stands most of them would die dishonorably.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you suppose Thor could get a precision lightning strike through that hole? And would Dwalin be very angry at him if he killed the high priest to delay this vote? (Update: I see Kashem suggested this too.)
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2019-07-29 at 06:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Do you suppose Thor could get a precision lightning strike through that hole? And would Dwalin be very angry at him if he killed the high priest to delay this vote?
    He might be a bit annoyed, yeah.
    Fortunately for Thor Dwalin's High Priest is currently at the Godsmoot, far away from the Council of Clans.
    Whether Dwalin cares about some random priest is a different question.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

9. - Top - End - #219

The trouble is, I can easily see a scenario where people would sign away their rights to steering the car or choosing their course — insurance liability. The auto manufacturers might decide to accept liability for accidents caused by their magic autocars if and only if the passengers agree not to interfere with its course.

And if Pizza Fortress has a advertising contract with the autocar company, they might pay $X for a simple ad, but $3X for every passenger delivered, which incentivizes the car company to err on the side of delivering passengers to whoever is paying.

When you put control of your car into the hands of people who brought you personality quizzes that conduct mass identity scraping while asking Which Potato Are You?, you can bet they’ll think of ways to monetize the vehicle that you supposedly own.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

eek Re: OOTS #1172 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by selyan View Post
    I was kind of hoping that Durkon will try to change the main proposal to something like: "Should vampirism be illegal by dwarven law?" instead. Oh well
    No, they had a ruling about that a few generations back. Was denied on account of marginalizing and discriminating against the minority of vampires in the land, as well as coincidentally all of the tick farmers. It was also the time that being Dominated was deemed acceptable for clan business, on account of the head of each clan being dominated into doing so an attempt to allow a greater audience to have a voice of their own regardless of their state of being magically influenced.

*eye twitch*
    Hm, guess it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    Also, in Durkon's case in particular, the odds don't look so good; he threw a returning hammer, which has just been shown to be capable of penetrating several feet of rock, and it's going to be coming straight back to him.
    Oh. Divine guided hammer lasers minimizing collateral damage vis a vis self-inflicted wounds?
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-07-29 at 07:11 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

11. - Top - End - #221

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Nah, we have the destination of the self-driving threads set to Star Wars here. We're trying to get a chatbot that can write a better script than the Prequel movies.
    My chatbot is on both, whatever it finds easier it'll steer to. Also, your only aiming for the Prequel movies? At least tell me your trying for Revenge of the Sith. Mines aimed at The Force Awakens but its almost good enough to reach Solo.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    My chatbot is on both, whatever it finds easier it'll steer to. Also, your only aiming for the Prequel movies? At least tell me your trying for Revenge of the Sith. Mines aimed at The Force Awakens but its almost good enough to reach Solo.
    I made one meant to make Rogue One still a solid movie, but less bleak and depressing. It wasn't running well, so I made a second one. Then the two started arguing about whether or not the ones who actually sent the plans were supposed to have never been seen again, and got nothing done.

The trouble is, I can easily see a scenario where people would sign away their rights to steering the car or choosing their course — insurance liability. The auto manufacturers might decide to accept liability for accidents caused by their magic autocars if and only if the passengers agree not to interfere with its course.
    That's one of the nastiest ways I've heard to punish someone for trying to save their own life. If the car gets totaled because the passenger switched to manual to make the accident go from "4 cars colliding, holds up interstate and kills 3" to "not strictly speaking impossible to survive, one car veers off and hits the side of the road", and then because the passenger switched to manual to avoid a bigger crash they have to pay for it? That is downright diabolical. It might not necessarily be the permutation you were looking for, but its in the same vein and one of its unfortunate conclusions without relevant laws saying that in the event of a life-threatening situation the passenger is not at fault/cannot be penalized for side effects pertaining to switching to a manual mode.

To clarify, this is continuing the hypothetical scenario that's being discussed and in no way referring to any real life political situation.
    Actually, I might use this as a way to setup a slightly futuristic, probably mildly dystopic (more "suckier version" than outright dystopia) setting (party is together because they have to settle a bill and have to do a heist or something to actually get enough money to secure their opportunity to make it to court/to pay the fine, maybe add in later espionage bits).

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    But they aren't being assassinated for their political actions. The world is being blown up, not because they voted for it but because Himdall and Dvalin voted for it, some time after they recommended it to Dvalin. There are just too many jumps of activity and time.

Dying of exposure while delivering supplies: honorable, because they are delivering supplies. Stabbed in the back by political opponents' hired ninjas while in office due to your political activities (a la Shojo or Hinjo), honorable. Voting to tell Dvalin to end the world... as I say, might count as honorable for the council, but it very well might not, because the activity is over the moment Dvalin goes back. The council is not ongoing in their efforts to end the world.

Grey Wolf
    Yeah, I always figured that the reason behind the death is what made it "honorable" or not.

A politician assassinated because of his political beliefs and/or actions while in office? Honorable death even if they're killed in their sleep because the reason for their death is tied up in their political works.

Death due to extreme cold while carrying desperately needed supplies to a town through a blizzard? Honorable, because the reason for their death(s) is tied up in the act of delivering the supplies.

Death via combat is simply the easiest (and therefore easiest to understand) way of dying honorably. There's less guesswork involved in knowing whether or not it was honorable, which I think is why it's the most common method of escaping Hel's clutches. But certainly there are other ways of dying honorably than just limiting it to combat.

14. - Top - End - #224

I made one meant to make Rogue One still a solid movie, but less bleak and depressing. It wasn't running well, so I made a second one. Then the two started arguing about whether or not the ones who actually sent the plans were supposed to have never been seen again, and got nothing done.
    Ah tone, that's always hard, by chatbot can write a better story for the prequels but when I tried to make it keep the general plot the same but settle on a consistent tone, well let me just say I've lost a few chatbots in that endeavor

15. - Top - End - #225
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The vampire's mortal host's full name was Gontor Hammerfell, yes? Could that be... prophetic?

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah tone, that's always hard, by chatbot can write a better story for the prequels but when I tried to make it keep the general plot the same but settle on a consistent tone, well let me just say I've lost a few chatbots in that endeavor
    A friend of mine set up a basic neural network of several quality chatbots hooked up to one another with the intention of making a way to make the midichlorian thing work without sacrificing the mysticism of Star Wars. Long story short he theorized based on the wreckage that, for about a minute and a half, there was a functioning prototypical synthetically created intellect in existence. Course, it spent that time screaming bloody murder, so that might be a bit of a problem unto itself.

-Squire Doodad

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Love it. It's not quite an exact match, but I see shades of Bablyon 5 the Starfire Wheel in this.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
    Love it. It's not quite an exact match, but I see shades of Bablyon 5 the Starfire Wheel in this.

"You are under arrest for making serious alterations to the meeting room!"
    "For making serious alterations? That's too vague. If I were to change the light setting, would that be an issue?"
    "Well, there's nothing to be said about that, but-"
    "Problem solved, nice talking to you."

-Squire Doodad

19. - Top - End - #229

A friend of mine set up a basic neural network of several quality chatbots hooked up to one another with the intention of making a way to make the midichlorian thing work without sacrificing the mysticism of Star Wars. Long story short he theorized based on the wreckage that, for about a minute and a half, there was a functioning prototypical synthetically created intellect in existence. Course, it spent that time screaming bloody murder, so that might be a bit of a problem unto itself.
    At least they managed to work together, I only had a single chatbot left when I finally pulled out of the situation, and it was just as advanced in all chat-related situations as before, though I have found some bots have disappeared when they met mine, I'm keeping it away from all artificial bodies to be safe.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

At least they managed to work together, I only had a single chatbot left when I finally pulled out of the situation, and it was just as advanced in all chat-related situations as before, though I have found some bots have disappeared when they met mine, I'm keeping it away from all artificial bodies to be safe.
    They're supposed to be Star Wars fans talking about the prequels.
    Who ever said they got the chatbots to work together?

-Squire Doodad

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I wonder, is gaining the capability to commit suicide and/or murder a sign of a developing artificial intelligence?
    And if so, is it a step into the right direction?
    It certainly is a natural reaction to the given task, though.

What I'm saying is, keep those chat bots the Hel away from the nukes.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2019-07-29 at 08:34 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Seems interesting, in that since there is now a hole in the ceiling, it looks like it may be possible for outsiders to intervene. For one, now that we have a hole and a clear place to begin, there'd be nothing stopping any other race from enlarging that hole... Trouble is, we don't see any on that panel showing outside, yet.

Another possibility is non-dwarves being able to drop in through the hole? The orange barrier stopped non-dwarves from entering, but going through this hole directly drops them into the council room and bypasses it. In fact.. if outsiders enter from the hole, and do not pass through the runed barriers, it may even be possible to completely bypass the rules completely!
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-07-29 at 08:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233

Sure, but course and destination are very different things. You can't sign a contract with illegal clauses and suddenly they're not illegal anymore; if I hire you in Alabama and you agree to work for fifty cents an hour, regardless that we both signed a contract for it, it's still illegal and I'm still not allowed to do that.

24. - Top - End - #234

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Galliant View Post
    The vampire's mortal host's full name was Gontor Hammerfell, yes? Could that be... prophetic?
    Wow. That's so perfect, I will now be upset* if it doesn't happen.

*Mildly upset, anyway.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Halfling in the Playground

Apologies to Marx for butchering his joke here, but I would never want to be part of a choir or glee club that would have me as a member. I'm largely quoting The Office (US) here, mostly Dwight. I did make a The Office (UK) reference with the territorial army, to Dwight's British counterpart Gareth.
    That's Groucho Marx, not the other Marx currently in vogue, young people.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    I wonder, is gaining the capability to commit suicide and/or murder a sign of a developing artificial intelligence?
    And if so, is it a step into the right direction?
    It certainly is a natural reaction to the given task, though.

What I'm saying is, keep those chat bots the Hel away from the nukes.
    I want to make a joke about an air vent being sealed to stop anything from blowing, but its too soon for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Baelzar View Post
    Marx that young people would know?

Sure, but course and destination are very different things. You can't sign a contract with illegal clauses and suddenly they're not illegal anymore; if I hire you in Alabama and you agree to work for fifty cents an hour, regardless that we both signed a contract for it, it's still illegal and I'm still not allowed to do that.
    If I remember correctly, I think "an illegal/amoral/inhumane contract is still illegal/amoral/inhumane" is one of the key reasons why people dislike Nozick's philosophy and how it would end up working. That's kind of a good half hour drive away from this subject though.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-07-29 at 08:52 PM.

-Squire Doodad

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by Baelzar View Post
    I don't think Harpo, Zeppo, Chico, or Gummo are terribly popular these days (damn you, Gummo, I always have to Google when I get to you!).

Groucho is timeless though.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-07-29 at 09:17 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Regarding a potential filibuster: Durkon and Sigdi are probably familiar enough with Dwarven law to know if such a thing could work. Based on how they seem to think they're out of time once the voting starts, it makes me think the rules don't allow for stalling in this case.

29. - Top - End - #239

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: OOTS #1172 - Self-Driving Car Diversion

Would you buy a car that wouldn't take you where you told it to go? How many people do you think would? Now, if you said "take me to a pizza place" and it took you to Pizza Fortress instead of pizza stockade because of a deal, I could see that. But you saying "take me to Pizza Stockade" and it taking you to Pizza Fortress? Very unlikely.
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

I want to make a joke about him being a Salmonid, but google won't let me find/show the picture...
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman