New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The Mandalorian: This Is The Way

First trailer now up.

I'm in. I am so very in.

Edit: Thread title changed to reflect discussion of the first season.

Last edited by Palanan; 2019-12-28 at 10:26 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Mandalorian: First Trailer

Hmm, bringing in IG-88 is interesting. I wonder if they'll include other famous bounty hunters. Effects looked pretty good for a TV show, too. With that row of Stormtrooper helmets on pikes and the shot of the mother with her child hiding in a river, I hope the show doesn't turn into "the Empire is horrible!!!!" I'd much prefer the show to walk the grey line of an actual bounty hunter: jobs for the Empire, the Rebellion/Republic (depending on when the show is set, chronologically), random crime bosses, etc.

Color me mildly interested.
    The New Soulknife Handbook!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    And there I was thinking that Midichlorian counts were a variety of force-sensitive hereditary noble- most notably Dooku.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

IIRC, it's post-Empire and pre-First Order.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Battleship789 View Post
    Hmm, bringing in IG-88 is interesting. I wonder if they'll include other famous bounty hunters. Effects looked pretty good for a TV show, too. With that row of Stormtrooper helmets on pikes and the shot of the mother with her child hiding in a river, I hope the show doesn't turn into "the Empire is horrible!!!!" I'd much prefer the show to walk the grey line of an actual bounty hunter: jobs for the Empire, the Rebellion/Republic (depending on when the show is set, chronologically), random crime bosses, etc.

Color me mildly interested.
    It could be another Assassin Droid. IG-88 wasn't the only one, just perhaps the most iconic.

Anyway, I want this to be good, because Star Wars needs a solid win right now.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    It could be another Assassin Droid.
    It is. IG-11.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    It could be another Assassin Droid. IG-88 wasn't the only one, just perhaps the most iconic.
    Say that again, meatbag.
    Last edited by Strigon; 2019-08-26 at 04:37 PM.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Say that again, meatbag.
    HK ain't in no movies, is all I'm saying.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Apparently IG-11 is going to be repeatedly mistaken for IG-88 in-universe as well.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Apparently IG-11 is going to be repeatedly mistaken for IG-88 in-universe as well.
    At the very least, he'll be hard pressed to understand the Space Scottish.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is this the show about Bobby Fett? I hope he has more than five lines of dialogue unlike in the original trilogy. MC Chris should do the soundtrack.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just from the trailer, I am a bit mixed honestly.

It is clear from the synopsis in the video description that this series is suppose to be about a new bounty hunter and not about Boba or Jango. Yet I have seen nothing other than just random shots of people and various action scenes to tell me what this is suppose to be about. Let alone whom the main character is suppose to be or what their story is.

Production looks decent regarding the set pieces and shots of the world. Though to be fair all that was shown was an abandoned looking town and a forest. And I do like the western vibe it is trying to go for. Some of the make-up and effects for the characters however I can't say I'm impressed with such as the Twi'lek at the 40 second marker. It just looked cheap and badly done.

Based on the trailer alone, still not convinced enough to purchase the Disney+ subscription just to watch it. Maybe if another trailer drops that could change but so far this looks meh at best.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

Are we gonna actuallt see his face or is it gonna be like Halo, his voice only

13. - Top - End - #13

Lizardfolk

Message to disney
    DO NOT STUFF THIS ONE UP!
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Is this the show about Bobby Fett? I hope he has more than five lines of dialogue unlike in the original trilogy. MC Chris should do the soundtrack.
    There was a petition to get him a cameo, but I doubt anything will come of it. The new Jay and Silent Bob movie is going to have a couple tracks by him though. he did a bunch of bounty hunter songs, it would be fun if they used them in the show as needed.

15. - Top - End - #15

Trailer 2 dropped last week.

Toot toot, the hype train is jumping to lightspeed.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Sadly, this trailer makes me far less enthused than the first one. It feels very flat and meh.

Thankfully, I saw another trailer earlier today which had just enough in it to bring me back to a state of interest. Supposedly Freeform will be giving previews of Disney+ shows all weekend, and they promised a free look at the first episode of Mandalorian on Monday. Not sure if that will actually happen or not.

Sigh. I was intensely psyched for this when it was first announced, but now I'm just hoping it's not too severe of a disappointment.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Sadly, this trailer makes me far less enthused than the first one. It feels very flat and meh.

Thankfully, I saw another trailer earlier today which had just enough in it to bring me back to a state of interest. Supposedly Freeform will be giving previews of Disney+ shows all weekend, and they promised a free look at the first episode of Mandalorian on Monday. Not sure if that will actually happen or not.

Sigh. I was intensely psyched for this when it was first announced, but now I'm just hoping it's not too severe of a disappointment.
    On the one hand, I could not disagree more.

On the other, I'm also heavily researching and building a screen-accurate Mandalorian costume, so take that disagreement for what it's worth.

Toot toot.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

If it fulfills even a modicum of its raw potential, I'll be tooting along with you. I'm just bracing myself for it to look and feel like a Firefly fan film.

19. - Top - End - #19

New TV spot. Mostly reusing the same footage, but there's a few new bits, the most noticeable one a closer look at the Razor Crest.

As far as Firefly fan film.... imean, you could call Firefly itself a Star Wars fan show, since it's a sci-fi western-type show where the bad guys are clean and high tech and the good guys are down on their luck salt of the earth but capable people in a dirty universe. But there are pretty big differences, and it doesn't seem like anything is implying that The Mandalorian is going to not have those same differences.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-09 at 11:18 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Peelee
    As far as Firefly fan film….
    I was referring to acting and technical quality, not any thematic similarities. And to clarify, I was referring to fan films, not Firefly itself.

New TV spot.
    And yes, that’s the one I saw, with the oddly orc-like raiders.

21. - Top - End - #21

I was referring to acting and technical quality, not any thematic similarities. And to clarify, I was referring to fan films, not Firefly itself.
    Ahhh, I getcha. I'm not seeing that at all, though, it looks visually fantastic to me. Also, they're dropping around 12 million per episode, so if it doesn't look amazing I'm going to have issue with that.
    And yes, that’s the one I saw, with the oddly orc-like raiders.
    Yeah, I'll agree to that, the Trandoshans looks weirdly human (mostly it's the faces (also I'm assuming you're talking about the Trandoshans)). But since they've shown almost none of that so far, I also think it might be better once we get the full thing.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Also, they're dropping around 12 million per episode....

I...hadn't realized that. But if anyone can afford it, Disney can.

...I'm assuming you're talking about the Trandoshans....
    Not sure who they're supposed to be, since they just appeared for a brief second of raiding and pillaging. They may well look more distinctive during the full episode, but for this one shot they read visually as orcs, which I doubt was entirely accidental.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm kind of disappointed that the Mandalorian is a bounty hunter. Would be interesting if he was, like, bodyguarding a senator or running a nightclub or something.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    I'm kind of disappointed that the Mandalorian is a bounty hunter. Would be interesting if he was, like, bodyguarding a senator or running a nightclub or something.
    What I find inexplicable is that there was already a famous Mandalorian bounty hunter in Star Wars, as well as an IG series droid. Why did they replace Boba Fett and IG-88 with characters that are identical yet different?
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    What I find inexplicable is that there was already a famous Mandalorian bounty hunter in Star Wars, as well as an IG series droid. Why did they replace Boba Fett and IG-88 with characters that are identical yet different?
    Boba Fett is easy; they wanted a different person with no preconceived notions of who he is or what he's like, so he can form his own personality, form a team and not be all lone-wolf, never work for the Empire and have a large dislike of them, whatever they want. There's a lot more creative freedom, he could have a completely different moral code and not work for crime lords like Jabba, we don't know. Also, so far Boba Fett is canonically dead in the Sarlacc, so they also have an excellent excuse to not use him.

Aside from that, I think it's a great decision regardless because there's literally an entire galaxy to play with and focusing on a handful of characters is boring. Introducing a new character expands the universe for us and adds more depth overall. I'm way more excited about a new Mandalorian show than I am about a Boba Fett show.

As far as IG-11... from what they've released, apparently even people in the show will confuse him with IG-88, so it seems like it's going to be part of the humor without being too cheesy and keeping with the darker tone it looks like it wants to shoot for. And, again, it gets tired if every show has people from the movies showing up constantly. The whole galaxy doesn't revolve around a handful of individuals, and it's refreshing to get media that doesn't act as if that's not the case.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-09 at 04:12 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard
    Honestly not sure if you’re leaving out the blue text on this one.

We’ve already had a Jedi serving as bodyguard to a senator, and a nightclub wouldn’t really make the best use of the typical Mandalorian skillset.

Originally Posted by Narkis
    Why did they replace Boba Fett and IG-88 with characters that are identical yet different?
    This takes place some time after the fall of the Empire, and well after Boba Fett’s very personal fall into the Sarlacc. I vaguely recall he got out somehow, in one or another EU product, but as far as most audiences would recall, he’s being slowly digested.

Also, Boba Fett has a rather complicated backstory (custom-ordered clone) which is tied directly to the Sith, the Jedi, and the fall of the Republic. I don’t blame the writers and producers for wanting to start fresh with a completely different character, without all the baggage Boba Fett would bring.

Edit: Assassin-droided by Peelee, who said it all much better anyway.

Last edited by Palanan; 2019-11-09 at 03:30 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Edit: Assassin-droided by Peelee, who said it all much better anyway.
    Eh, I felt like my Fett bit was clunky and you did that better, since it was more direct, but to each their own.

ETA: The cast did a short teaser Q&A on twitter. They say the Mandalorian is going to be a loner type, but from what they've shown of Cara Dune, I'm not so sure that's entirely accurate.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-09 at 03:44 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Appreciated, thanks.

Also, I know you like dragons, but “Assassin Droid in the Playground” has a nice ring to it.

There's a lot more creative freedom, he could have a completely different moral code and not work for crime lords like Jabba....
    I think this will be very much the case, since the trailers suggest that he’ll be involved not just with sketchy characters who add up to a payday, but a broader effort to restore law and order after the fall of the Empire.

I'm way more excited about a new Mandalorian show than I am about a Boba Fett show….

The whole galaxy doesn't revolve around a handful of individuals, and it's refreshing to get media that doesn't act as if that's not the case.
    Absolutely agreed.

I think they’ve been slowly moving in that direction, since Rebels managed to give us a team with only minimal connections to major characters, and Resistance has an almost entirely independent crew, apart from the obligatory cameos from Leia and Poe Dameron.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this has been a push from Dave Filoni, since he’s been directing animated Star Wars series for ten years now. I expect he’s been developing his own ideas during that time—and I also expect he’ll show up in the credits for one or more alien and/or droid voices, since he likes his voice cameos.

29. - Top - End - #29

Also, I know you like dragons, but “Assassin Droid in the Playground” has a nice ring to it.
    Given the topic, I find it quite suiting.

Also, I realized I have yet to see a bad movie/show with Carl Weathers, the guy knows how to pick roles.

Toot toot.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

So, I'm sad twice over.

First, because it doesn't look like I'll be able to sign up for Disney+ the way I'd been hoping, owing to RL issues. And second, it turns out that Freeform won't be showing the first episode tomorrow as I'd originally assumed; they'll be giving a "sneak peek" which is probably nothing more than a compilation of all the trailers.

Ah well. At least I have Frozen 2 to look forward to. You can't take the sky ice from me....