Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Favorite old (computer) jrpgs

Watching a Chrono Trigger LP and playing the game on Steam myself, I got myself into a mood of simple and short-ish plot driven jRPGs again. I heavily enjoyed FF 9 (FF 8 was meh though I still finished it) and I dislike the whole premise of FF 7 (something about RPGs NOT being fantasy is just eh). I played FF 1 too, and I was thinking about Octopath Traveller (though 60 euros is def. too expensive for me).

So do you know any good jRPGs of old that I can try out again, and for cheap? I like shorter games (10-20 hours) because I usually don't have the time for stuff like FF 8 where the story picks up 15 hours after starting off.
    Until further notice 21st of October, please DM me for important stuff, and let the game master control my characters

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite old (computer) jrpgs

Dragon Quest III and IV are quite good (It is worth playing I first, since that game's ludicrously short, but II is terrible). V is also very good, but longer.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Watching a Chrono Trigger LP and playing the game on Steam myself, I got myself into a mood of simple and short-ish plot driven jRPGs again. I heavily enjoyed FF 9 (FF 8 was meh though I still finished it) and I dislike the whole premise of FF 7 (something about RPGs NOT being fantasy is just eh). I played FF 1 too, and I was thinking about Octopath Traveller (though 60 euros is def. too expensive for me).

So do you know any good jRPGs of old that I can try out again, and for cheap? I like shorter games (10-20 hours) because I usually don't have the time for stuff like FF 8 where the story picks up 15 hours after starting off.
    Final Fantasy 6 (3 in the US) is one of the best old-style FF JRPGs. I still think its top 3 Final Fantasy games ever made. It's QUITE long, though, I think my first playthrough where I was exploring everything took 70 hours.

Final Fantasy 4 is also quite good (The After Years was not). It's much more linear than FF6 up until the final Airship, but still has some freedom for exploration.

Dragon Quest 5 is probably the best 'old style' Dragon Quest, IMO, and one of the best JRPGs. Dragon Quest 12 just came out, and retains a lot of the JRPG feel, but is definitely more modern.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Dragon Quest III and IV are quite good (It is worth playing I first, since that game's ludicrously short, but II is terrible). V is also very good, but longer.
    I mean.... 1 is short if you know what you're doing or get a walkthrough. But it has a LOT of forced grinding and almost no explanation of what the heck you're supposed to be doing at any particular point so if you're playing it blind it can take a LONG time.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Stranger in the Playground Moderator Ventruenox's Avatar

Although it is a 60-80 hour game, Xenogears is available on the Playstation Network for @ $10. Interestingly enough, they blend fantasy and sci-fi in a narrative that feels original and organic. It has a great soundtrack, comprehensible controls, and actual character growth in the playable characters.
    Forum Rules. If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

If you like Chrono Trigger, I'll second checking out Final Fantasy 6 (AKA 3 in the US). One of the best mid-90s RPGs in existence. I also saw that there was a full 3D remake of Secret of Mana (with voice acting and everything!) available on Steam, but that series is more Action-RPG. You might even want to check out Final Fantasy Tactics if you're into tactical combat RPGs.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

"What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken." - Morpheus, The Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Remember, Evil isn't "selfish". It's Evil. "Look out for number one" is a Neutral attitude. Evil looks out for number one while crushing number two.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Trails in the Sky maybe? Or the Final Fantasy X remaster. The new Dragon Quest didn't appeal to me. It was really slow and I got bored before leaving the first village, so I can't recommend it. It seems it's outside of the price range you want to pay anyway though.