New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Cheese: Is spellcasting an extraordinary ability?

Thinking about the Factotum and Cunning Brillance Cheese.

D20 Modern lists Arcane Spellcasting as a class special for The Mage PRC.

If it is listed somewhere in a source book as an Extraordinary ability spontaneous spellcasting could be utilized for up to 10 rounds 3/day as an option since no prayer or studying would be required.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cheese: Is spellcasting an extraordinary ability?

Spellcasting is neither extraordinary, supernatural or spell-like. It is simply spellcasting.

Martial maneuvers are (mostly) extraordinary. Soulmelds are supernatural. Psionic powers are spell-like. Spells... are spells. Why they're not supernatural I'll never know.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2007-10-10 at 06:17 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Spellcasting isn't an extraordinary ability because it's more basic than any of the 'abilities'. That's why Spell-Like-Abilities are defined in terms of spells, rather than the other way round.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

If I had to pick one of the standard categories (extraordinary, supernatural, spell-like) for spellcasting, I'd pick spell-like. But as previous posters have said, the correct answer is really "none of the above."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by CASTLEMIKE View Post
    Thinking about the Factotum and Cunning Brillance Cheese.

D20 Modern lists Arcane Spellcasting as a class special for The Mage PRC.

If it is listed somewhere in a source book as an Extraordinary ability spontaneous spellcasting could be utilized for up to 10 rounds 3/day as an option since no prayer or studying would be required.
    D20 Modern is not a D&D resource.

Spellcasting is clearly not an (Ex) ability, because it does not work in an anti-magic field. Moreover, it is not listed as any type of special ability, as mentioned above. It's a separate entity entirely.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Appreciate the responses.

I know this is just a Cheese thread query asking if anyone has ever seen "Spellcasting" listed as an Extraordinary ability in one of the different source books or Dragon issues. Acknowledge it is doubtful any but a handful of DMs would allow it but still curious if there is such a source from an optimization point.

Mentioned D20 Modern because Arcane Spellcasting is listed in the class Special section.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I'm just saying, d20 Modern doesn't count because it's an entirely different game system. It's also not listed as an Extraordinary Ability there, just a class feature with no such descriptor.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    I'm just saying, d20 Modern doesn't count because it's an entirely different game system. It's also not listed as an Extraordinary Ability there, just a class feature with no such descriptor.
    Never posted it was an Extraordinary ability in D20 Modern just that the Arcane Spellcasting was listed as a class special which is a deviation from normal spellcasting class descriptions.

Lot's of source books. I'm just curious if someone has seen a source book or Dragon issue that identifed it as an Extraordinary ability.

If spellcasting was listed in a D20 Wizard's product as an Extraordinary Ability I would think the final decision would rest on your DM (Most probably wouldn't allow it).
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2007-10-11 at 01:25 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Note though, that a creature who has spells prepare or if you have avaible per day does have the hidden spellcaster trait (as well as arcane spellcaster and/divine spellcaster based on what type of spells they are). This becomes important if you say have a weapon that deals extra damage to a creature who is a spellcaster.

Incidentally, if you have no spells prepared/no spells per day left you are not considered a spellcaster, reguardless if you have levels in a casting class. Thus a wizard who is feebleminded is no longer a caster.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CASTLEMIKE View Post
    Never posted it was an Extraordinary ability in D20 Modern just that the Arcane Spellcasting was listed as a class special which is a deviation from normal spellcasting class descriptions.
    Not so. Spellcasting is covered in the Class Features section of every class which has spellcasting as a feature.

Unless you meant that "Arcane Spellcasting" was listed in the Special column of the class table...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    Unless you meant that "Arcane Spellcasting" was listed in the Special column of the class table...
    "Arcane Spellcasting" is exactly what I typed in the first post.
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2007-10-11 at 04:28 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Spellcasting is probably supernatural or extraordinary. Doesn't really matter which, since the actual spells themselves will fizzle in an AMF.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKitKat View Post
    Spellcasting is probably supernatural or extraordinary. Doesn't really matter which, since the actual spells themselves will fizzle in an AMF.
    What? Of course it matters! Or are you saying that polymorphing into a monster with spellcasting abilities should give you spellcasting abilities?

There are five types of abilities: natural abilities, extraordinary abilities, supernatural abilities, spell-like abilities and spellcasting. These distinctions matter, as the poster of this thread so adequately demonstrated.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2007-10-11 at 08:21 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKitKat View Post
    Spellcasting is probably supernatural or extraordinary.
    No, it's probably not. In fact, it's *definitely* not. The PHB tells you it's not.
    Last edited by OneWinged4ngel; 2007-10-11 at 11:51 AM.