New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1173 - The Discussion Thread

Huh. that is not the resolution I expected.

So, what happens when the table is fixed? Do the elders who were dominated and who will presumably no longer be dominated then get to revote?

Or, maybe, this just gives the Order enough time to deal with the last gate, cause it'll take 10 days to fix the table, at which time the vote goes through?

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    OTOH, the rule explicitly states "unbroken". Something which has been broken, even if subsequently fixed, could possibly still not count as "unbroken" if you define it as "never broken" rather than "not currently broken" ;)
    Unbroken could also mean "un-broken" as in "something undid the breaking of it" They broke it. Now they un-break it and it will have been unbroken.
    Last edited by Svata; 2019-08-01 at 02:15 PM.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    Unbroken could also mean "un-broken" as in "something undid the breaking of it" They broke it. Now they un-break it and it will have been unbroken.
    That would require the table to have been broken & mended before they ever held a meeting around it!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

On this side of the pond (i.e. in the USA) scones are made from bread dough deep fried in hot oil. Excellent when slathered in honey-butter. Or cinnamon-honey-butter.

Dang it, now I'm hungry!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thecommander236 View Post
    So the godsmoot is rendered moot? Can't someone just cast a spell to fix the table?
    A GodsMoot that doesn't come to a decision is a GodsMoot that isn't destroying the world.

Works for the Order of the Stick

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Who the heck prepares Make Whole?
    Somebody who used to dig a lot, but can’t spell.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Sigdi: the literal best.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Clearly the Council has to vote wether a mended table counts as „unbroken”.
    For which they need a new table.
    So, it doesn't matter I guess?
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GregTD View Post
    No, the issue is Durkon's letter claims his mother and grandfather have no idea what's happening to him. Which is false, if he's talking to her every week
    ... after he reached 7th level. Sending in 3.5e is a 4th level spell. (though it is/was a third level spell in some other editions)
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    That would require the table to have been broken & mended before they ever held a meeting around it!
    Nothing suggests it wasn't
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Except the rules don't say "unbroken by the strictest defintion." It says "unbroken."
    Really? You know every word in the rules?

Could you write them out for us? Because I'm looking at them, and there's a whole bunch of words i can't see

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AutomatedTeller View Post
    So, what happens when the table is fixed? Do the elders who were dominated and who will presumably no longer be dominated then get to revote?
    I suspect that only the members who have not yet voted get to cast their votes once the meeting is reconvened. That includes a fair number of the never-dominated members, and the one dominated member whose vote was interrupted. Presumably his vote changing from "ye-" to "No!" will give victory to the "Don't Destroy the World" side.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2019-08-01 at 02:34 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    It wasn't decades, at the time that the OotS started, Durkon was much lower level, 4 sendings at once is a high level cleric's action. Per class and level geekery, Durkon was level 8 at comic's start. Which was less than 2 years ago in comic, and much closer to back at Azure City. At that point sending was one of his highest level spells.

Assuming that he was leveling while adventuring with Roy, he'd almost certainly been able to cast sending for only a short time when the comic started.
    While I’d never question yer worshipfulness’s judgment, I imagine that the manner in which I wiz asked to leave so suddenly might’ve caused them to wonder what happen’d ta me for all these years.”

If he was Level 8 at the start of the comic, then he had 2 fourth level spells + any wisdom bonus, for a while.

I have to believe that the first day he was resting up after making 7th level, he sent a Sending to his Ma, to let her know he was alive. And that they continued, until he had given her the whole story

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Really? You know every word in the rules?

Could you write them out for us? Because I'm looking at them, and there's a whole bunch of words i can't see
    As far as I can tell the interrupted section after the table gets specified as „unbroken” pertains its size, not the unbroken-ness.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by The Rules
    Votes shall take place a table fashioned from the corpse of [a oak] tree. The table shall be of one (1) piece, unbroken and bearing suffi[cent] circumference to permit one (1) representative of each currently ext[ant clan] to stand before it simultaneously. No vote shall be completed in any [halls that]fail to meet these requirements.
    [Brackets] are my guesses for the missing sections.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2019-08-01 at 02:54 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Doesn't Elan have mending? I bet they defeat the vampires and then simply mend the table so the council can resume.
    He can't cast it inside of the barrier without being zotted, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

*unzot*

heh. Gotta love those little details to the sound effects

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Typo page 2 panel 7

Sorry if someone commented on this upthread, but (unless it's an archaic spelling I'm unaware of), there appears to be a typo on page 2, panel 7, with all the rules text.

In the top paragraph, which we only partially see, it reads "possiblt" rather than "possible".
    Last edited by 2.5 cats; 2019-08-01 at 02:56 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

While I’d never question yer worshipfulness’s judgment, I imagine that the manner in which I wiz asked to leave so suddenly might’ve caused them to wonder what happen’d ta me for all these years.”

If he was Level 8 at the start of the comic, then he had 2 fourth level spells + any wisdom bonus, for a while.

I have to believe that the first day he was resting up after making 7th level, he sent a Sending to his Ma, to let her know he was alive. And that they continued, until he had given her the whole story
    The five of us never left our cells.

While I doubt that was the intent at the time the letter was written, I can see Durkon carefully choosing his words to make Hurak believe he never had any contact with his family, lest Hurak throws them out too.

After all, it's true that they wondered what happened to him during all hese years he didn't have Sending. And he would like to see his grandfather again, alas he is dead.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    He can't cast it inside of the barrier without being zotted, no?
    Depends on whether the corpse of a dead tree counts as a creature.

20. - Top - End - #170

There's a typo in the first paragraph of the rules text: "At the earliest possiblt convenience."

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5 cats View Post
    Sorry or someone commented on this upthread, but (unless it's an archaic spelling I'm unaware of), there appears to be a typo on page 2, panel 7, with all the rules text.

In the top paragraph, which we only partially see, it reads "possiblt" rather than "possible".
    Dangit, ninja'd.
    Last edited by Ortho; 2019-08-01 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Ninja'd

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by mjp1050 View Post
    There's a typo in the first paragraph of the rules text: "At the earliest possiblt convenience."
    No it isn't, possiblt is an obscure word that refers to the god of buildings, meaning that it is somehow about Posyblit the Egyptian god (who just so happens to be a short child, almost like a dwarf).

22. - Top - End - #172
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kashem View Post
    Second theory: Durkon hits the ceiling and collapses it, but all of the Vamps have already voted. However, the vote becomes invalid since it must take place inside the council chambers, and the council chambers no longer exist, or at least are no longer "inside".
    Dude, I CALLED it. I wasn't quite there on the council chambers collapsing, but nailed it on "The chambers is no longer suitable to hold a vote"!

23. - Top - End - #173

AssassinGuy

I just noticed this: the blue "light" that is all over the chamber is all but gone as soon as Dvalin's cleric is "unzotted". Compare the color of the Council Speaker two panels before. It seems that the petrification effect no longer applies now. The lack of the blue barrier in the door behind Durkon also shows this.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nazzo, the 102nd View Post
    I just noticed this: the blue "light" that is all over the chamber is all but gone as soon as Dvalin's cleric is "unzotted". Compare the color of the Council Speaker two panels before. It seems that the petrification effect no longer applies now. The lack of the blue barrier in the door behind Durkon also shows this.
    Oh, good catch, I hope That Logann and the others can come quick, because I'm not sure Sigdi can deal with The Exaargh by her lonesome.
    Forum Wisdom

25. - Top - End - #175

And this is how you use Knowledge: bureaucracy to win.

Also, the Order just needs to dust whichever vampire Dominated the last voter, and suddenly they can vote freely.

Or just go solve the Gates problem and have Dvalin say "You know what, proposal withdrawn. New business: I open the floor for suggestions on upgrading security."

26. - Top - End - #176

OKay okay, let me try my hand on this. So, if I were unreasonably pessimistic and banked all my self-image on the bad guys winning (so i could be "right), my prediction would be:

Round 1: The vampire dominates everybody with ease.
    Round 2: The vampire casts Mending on the table.
    Round 3: Evil wins, good dies, lots of people go "I told you so!" on the forum. The comic ends in an unsatisfactory manner.
    Round 4: Chaos in the streets, mass hysteria, dogs and cats living together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    You are presuming that Ridureyu is trying to be a troll.

I tend to think of him more as a Performance Artist, myself.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    OKay okay, let me try my hand on this. So, if I were unreasonably pessimistic and banked all my self-image on the bad guys winning (so i could be "right), my prediction would be:

Round 1: The vampire dominates everybody with ease.
    Round 2: The vampire casts Mending on the table.
    Round 3: Evil wins, good dies, lots of people go "I told you so!" on the forum. The comic ends in an unsatisfactory manner.
    Round 4: Chaos in the streets, mass hysteria, dogs and cats living together.
    A vampire can only do one domination attempt per round

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post

Round 1: The vampire dominates everybody with ease-
    The blue field turns the vampire to stone, good wins, case closed, miller time!

There's a reason they had to wait until they were inside the orange field but outside the blue one.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    The blue field turns the vampire to stone, good wins, case closed, miller time!

There's a reason they had to wait until they were inside the orange field but outside the blue one.
    Blue field went away when the meeting was suspended as noted by the 102nd of the Nazzo dynasty.
    Forum Wisdom

30. - Top - End - #180

Hah none of us saw this coming in the last thread, I believe.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ