New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Hero Oh Hero

1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Hero Oh Hero

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    No its not missing the contex. It directly proves said narrator were unreliable.
    Tobi's appearance is a so-called Black swan event (where you generalize based on existing data set, not predicting an unforeseen possibility). If she wasn't in Lorg, the old man would have been right as far as we are shown.

Name one person (Tobi and her people excluded) that showed some kind of ability to repair and/or analyze tech?

That spot is to advanced. You cant have something like that without at least passing information on how to repair or modify tech.
    I think the implication here is Magilante is working with ghouls/researchers. I wouldn't be surprised that the entire thing installed itself, or is part of Magilante.

Oh the muscle guy there absolutely uses magic. And a lot of it.
    When a magic-user uses magic, there is usually a glow or an effect (yes even Blue Ghoul had a glow). Aude and Felix even comment on it.

See this: http://www.neorice.com/hoh_noah_624

No glow. No magic. That doesn't mean magic wasn't cast on him to share excess damage in case one contestant went overboard. Which did happen.

But i dont think the world is meant to be gammified at all. Thats Tobi's world.
    So i do think thats skewing your perception of the story in weird directions ?
    Fair point, I might be imagining things, but I don't get why sabotage yourself like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I'm starting to actually like the Bluebeard of Happiness. He's having a lot of fun, and he's right -- better him than Levin.
    Yeah, Lord Infinite is Pogchamp.
    Last edited by -D-; 2021-04-16 at 09:13 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Tobi's appearance is a so-called Black swan event (where you generalize based on existing data set, not predicting an unforeseen possibility). If she wasn't in Lorg, the old man would have been right as far as we are shown.

Name one person (Tobi and her people excluded) that showed some kind of ability to repair and/or analyze tech?
    I would more say Tobi is proof of an unreliable narrator. That what the old man says is only true from the common perspective.

But i can do better than name a person. I can name organisations.
    Who have shown ability to intergrate technology. The red suit guys have functional elevators.
    As well as custom death traps. Thats something that require a lot of maintenance. And require you understand it before you install it.

And whoever runs the game, seem to directly have installed technology. Extremely advanced technology at that.
    I do think your putting to much weight on what an old hermit said in comic. And not enough on things we have observed, that he would not have seen.
    Tobi's ability to understand tech at a glance is likely unique. But the ability to repair tech cant be unique. Just excedingly rare.

I think the implication here is Magilante is working with ghouls/researchers. I wouldn't be surprised that the entire thing installed itself, or is part of Magilante.
    Well. We have just also been informed that Magilante isnt sentient in a conventional manner.
    That it just randomly spits out tech items. So it seems unlikely it can work with someone?
    I mean its not impossible. The whole operation is excedingly expensive.

When a magic-user uses magic, there is usually a glow or an effect (yes even Blue Ghoul had a glow). Aude and Felix even comment on it.

See this: http://www.neorice.com/hoh_noah_624

No glow. No magic. That doesn't mean magic wasn't cast on him to share excess damage in case one contestant went overboard. Which did happen.
    Well. That usually there carry a ton of exceptions. We have countless examples of people doing magic without there being a glow.
    Just for example. http://www.neorice.com/hoh_noah_618 Kimberly dont produce a glow when he uses his ability.
    So glow is certainly a sign of magic. But no glow isnt a sign of no magic. I mean im sure we can find more examples.

Fair point, I might be imagining things, but I don't get why sabotage yourself like that?
    Hmm.. well. We cant know for certain. Perhaps he wants to get underestimated?
    Or maybe its for the fun of it? Look at how many dumb things real world people do in their free time.
    Or how many things people intentionally makes harder for themselves because they like the challenge.
    Burk is so powerful that 95% of the actual challenges he faces are easy mode. No wonder he gets bored.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Who has shown ability to integrate technology. The red suit guys have functional elevators.
    I asked Neorice.

Q: How does Magilante install things like elevators?
    Or other tech that needs to be tightly integrated with buildings?

A: Master Neoriceisgood — 04/21/2021
    There actually is an answer, just not mentioned in-comic yet. Magilante obviously has some kind of builder available.
    He said, that Magilante deploys builders. I assume some kind of 3D printer for buildings. I don't think he refers to a human.

Well. We have just also been informed that Magilante isnt sentient in a conventional manner.
    It has enough intelligence to decide whom to export the tech too. And not export advanced military tech to naval powers.

Just for example. http://www.neorice.com/hoh_noah_618 Kimberly dont produce a glow when he uses his ability.
    Sure, but he's a confirmed pandemonium user. And his magic manifests differently.

From what we know to be a magic-user you have to:
    A) Either know spirit magic to produce a glow (pandemonium or magic potential)
    B) Use their free magic which usually glows

While it's possible that pandemonium user never uses too obvious magic, let's weigh the pros and cons of Burk being magic-user.

Pro:
    1) He's abnormally strong

Con:
    1) He denies it (he's honest to a fault)
    2) In no fight, with either gold-laced Ariara or Goldman was he affected by magic disabling gold
    3) Ariara comments on it: http://www.neorice.com/hoh/921_Burk.png

Meta, it's more interesting if Burk isn't a magic-user. I don't think Ghouls are magic users either (even though they use some kind of Ghoul Ressurection magic).
    Last edited by -D-; 2021-04-23 at 06:19 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

He said, that Magilante deploys builders. I assume some kind of 3D printer for buildings. I don't think he refers to a human.
    Well fair. So it is not directly a plot hole. It just revolves around things not yet revealed.

It has enough intelligence to decide whom to export the tech too. And not export advanced military tech to naval powers.
    Something that does conflict with earlier statements. It can be it just does not export military tech to naval powers at all.
    But it seems clear we are missing a lot of information on Magilante. Just for a start what the heck the builders are.

Sure, but he's a confirmed pandemonium user. And his magic manifests differently.

From what we know to be a magic-user you have to:
    A) Either know spirit magic to produce a glow (pandemonium or magic potential)
    B) Use their free magic which usually glows
    Does not really matter how his magic manifests. We have one clear and proven exception to the magic=glow rule.
    That already means a lack of glow cant be used as evidence to a lack of magic.
    Heck. We even from Garts training have more examples of people using magic without a glow.
    So its not even that Spirit magic always create a glow.

While it's possible that pandemonium user never uses too obvious magic, let's weigh the pros and cons of Burk being magic-user.
    I dont know where Burk enters into the picture. Im talking about this guy.
    http://www.neorice.com/hoh_noah_624

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Something that does conflict with earlier statements. It can be it just does not export military tech to naval powers at all.
    But it seems clear we are missing a lot of information on Magilante.
    Yeah, Noah mentioned it talking to Cherry. For people unaware what are we talking about
    http://www.neorice.com/hoh_noah_1223

Just for a start what the heck the builders are.
    I imagine this, but more automated I guess:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69HrqNnrfh4

Does not really matter how his magic manifests. We have one clear and proven exception to the magic=glow rule.
    That already means a lack of glow cant be used as evidence to a lack of magic.

I dont know where Burk enters into the picture. Im talking about this guy.
    Sure, but you also can't prove he isn't same boat as Burk. Why did you assume it's magic when there is no proof of it?

If someone makes death bubbles or makes a slime, that's obviously magic. If someone casually lifts a bolder and there is no visible magic, means he's probably doing it without it.
    Last edited by -D-; 2021-04-24 at 09:21 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

So I'm guessing Three tore off his own arm, which than moved around independently and stole a couple hundred fruit for himself.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, Noah mentioned it talking to Cherry. For people unaware what are we talking about
    http://www.neorice.com/hoh_noah_1223
    Actually reading that. Its just military technology thats easily deployed on ships thats not exported.

Sure, but you also can't prove he isn't same boat as Burk. Why did you assume it's magic when there is no proof of it?

If someone makes death bubbles or makes a slime, that's obviously magic. If someone casually lifts a bolder and there is no visible magic, means he's probably doing it without it.
    He is doing something obviously magic. I would say occams razor says its magic. And the burden off proof lies on showing its not magic.
    Well. Magic or he is a cyborg. But thats science fiction. And loops back to magic.

I mean. The evidence is kinda airtight.
    Magic is not always visible. That means there isnt evidence of it -not- being magic.
    Here is an example of a spirit user being active without visible effect.
    http://www.neorice.com/hoh_noah_613

And he is doing something thats impossible on several levels. Thats evidence of it being magic.
    Casually lifting something around 10 tons in one arm, means his muscles and bones are strong enough to be a mid-tier marvel hero.

As bonus evidence. Its most likely he is the source of the hearts.
    http://www.neorice.com/hoh_noah_612
    Since he took damage when they broke. Meaning there are already evidence of him using magic.

So I'm guessing Three tore off his own arm, which than moved around independently and stole a couple hundred fruit for himself.
    It is kinda shocking one of the biggest tinfoil hat theories proved true..
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2021-04-26 at 02:10 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

He is doing something obviously magic.

He is doing something obviously magic. I would say occams razor says its magic.
    Is it?

Let's extend that logic. That guy didn't do anything that Burk couldn't do. By Occam's razor then Burk is not an anomaly but same as him. Burk therefore is magic user. And that's not correct.

And he is doing something thats impossible on several levels. Thats evidence of it being magic.

Casually lifting something around 10 tons in one arm, means his muscles and bones are strong enough to be a mid-tier marvel hero.
    Like falling from the sky and not being harmed? Or using a log as an improv projectile and punching Pirate of the Storm like a ****ing truck?

As bonus evidence. Its most likely he is the source of the hearts.
    That's speculation. Lina arrived with many magic teachers any one of them could cast that magic. I'm not ruling it out, but it could just be a PE teacher for mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    He really went on a limb there.
    Last edited by -D-; 2021-04-26 at 03:43 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I really don't see what Smile's problem is.
    The one armed bandit is a perfectly valid strategy for a game like this.
    "Unsportsmanlike behaviour"... in a death game.
    One that encourages backstabbing.

The issue is that Three ripped his own arm off, isn't it?
    If he had at least poisoned a few opponents it probably would've been fine.

Honestly though, while I definitely laughed at the reveal, I'm kinda disappointed the answer to "Who could take down Three?" was "Three".
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    The one armed bandit is a perfectly valid strategy for a game like this.
    "Unsportsmanlike behaviour"... in a death game.
    One that encourages backstabbing.

The issue is that Three ripped his own arm off, isn't it?
    If he had at least poisoned a few opponents it probably would've been fine.

Honestly though, while I definitely laughed at the reveal, I'm kinda disappointed the answer to "Who could take down Three?" was "Three".
    Man I just caught on that the reason why he went unconscious was because he was focusing on the arm instead. I'm not disappointed at all in that answer though, everyone has been hyping him up as a nigh indestructible killing machine. I would be more disappointed if someone suddenly was able to significantly harm him without any warning.

Also does anyone else find it significant that Levin was referred to by name, and not color?
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

It's implied that Smile foundation is run by ghouls.

Ghouls like death. Three and Tobi evaded rules used to either turn people against each other or to evade death.

Basically there isn't enough death and backstabbing for their tastes.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    It's implied that Smile foundation is run by ghouls.

Ghouls like death. Three and Tobi evaded rules used to either turn people against each other or to evade death.

Basically there isn't enough death and backstabbing for their tastes.
    What makes you say that? The Ghouls we saw seem to be D&D murderhobos. I don't see how that implies they run the Smile foundation or that they want to see people backstabbing each other.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Firbolg in the Playground

What makes you say that? The Ghouls we saw seem to be D&D murderhobos.
    More like MMORPG murderhobos. D&D characters who die do not respawn intact -- not without some effort from their party to use resurrection spells.

Also D&D characters do feel pain and do need to sleep and eat and drink, usually.

Though these ghouls also have the odd trait, according to the Paladin, that if you cut one of their limbs, it can still move and act. Kinda like Three...
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

What makes you say that? The Ghouls we saw seem to be D&D murderhobos. I don't see how that implies they run the Smile foundation or that they want to see people backstabbing each other.
    I don't think Shalia was lying. They aren't just muderhobos. They are immortal murderhobos. Killing is their way of killing time. They have nothing else to do. And once they die they respawn.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

More like MMORPG murderhobos. D&D characters who die do not respawn intact -- not without some effort from their party to use resurrection spells.

Also D&D characters do feel pain and do need to sleep and eat and drink, usually.

Though these ghouls also have the odd trait, according to the Paladin, that if you cut one of their limbs, it can still move and act. Kinda like Three...
    I suppose so in that regard. Though I wonder if the 'respawn' is just rolling up a new character. Or perhaps the same character as it may be. Also multiclassing isn't usually something you can do in an MMORPG. And of course, neither is speaking.

Though I'd argue about the 'feel pain' part. That's not a condition after all. Feeling pain is just roleplaying. Eating, and drinking often is as well. Sure you need to, but how often is that reduced to 'deduct one ration from your inventory?'

Sleeping I'll grant you. Though there are ways around that too.

It wouldn't surprise me if Three was an attempt to make an artificial Ghoul.

I don't think Shalia was lying. They aren't just muderhobos. They are immortal murderhobos. Killing is their way of killing time. They have nothing else to do. And once they die they respawn.
    She wasn't lying, but that doesn't mean she was correct. Just because all the Global Order sees them do is kill doesn't mean that is all they do. I mean, we know that is false as they recruited Tobi on the Smile Foundations behalf. And they seem to know what Tobi was talking about when she mentioned a dungeon. And they have a goal of trying to get through the temple Tobi came out of.

But I could definitely see them just killing any other encounter. If they don't care about whatever the GO was offering them, than why not kill them in order to get the XP? It's not like there would be any consequences for doing so. Particularly if the Ghouls had labeled the GO as the 'villains' for some reason.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

I suppose so in that regard. Though I wonder if the 'respawn' is just rolling up a new character.
    From the FAQ.

18. How do ghouls respawn? Are there some respawn points? Do they reappear where they were destroyed? How random is it?

Depends on the player’s level. Newbies tend to respawn in the new player zone, but more experienced players sometimes do respawn closer to their objective,
    Though I'd argue about the 'feel pain' part.
    We seen Niles shrug off losing limbs, head, guts as minor inconvenience.
    Niles is heavily implied to be a ghoul.

She wasn't lying, but that doesn't mean she was correct. Just because all the Global Order sees them do is kill doesn't mean that is all they do. I mean, we know that is false as they recruited Tobi on the Smile Foundations behalf. And they seem to know what Tobi was talking about when she mentioned a dungeon. And they have a goal of trying to get through the temple Tobi came out of.

But I could definitely see them just killing any other encounter. If they don't care about whatever the GO was offering them, than why not kill them in order to get the XP? It's not like there would be any consequences for doing so. Particularly if the Ghouls had labeled the GO as the 'villains' for some reason.
    While they don't ONLY kill, much like MMORPGs muderhobos, their quests are mostly tied to killing. Or causing deaths.

Would players in MMO care if a faction calls them evil?

Smile foundation is all about Death. Their experiment is super focused on death.
    Also double checking Tobi Chapters never did Ghoul Adventuring party mention Rauel, they just said "we have the same quest", which is more for manipulating Tobi than a statement of purpose.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

From the FAQ.

We seen Niles shrug off losing limbs, head, guts as minor inconvenience.
    Niles is heavily implied to be a ghoul.

While they don't ONLY kill, much like MMORPGs muderhobos, their quests are mostly tied to killing. Or causing deaths.

Would players in MMO care if a faction calls them evil?

Smile foundation is all about Death. Their experiment is super focused on death.
    Also double checking Tobi Chapters never did Ghoul Adventuring party mention Rauel, they just said "we have the same quest", which is more for manipulating Tobi than a statement of purpose.
    The only thing I see when I press the FAQ button is the schedule. Though the respawn zone comment does pretty firmly put them in MMO status

I think you misunderstood me. I meant that D&D characters don't feel pain as that isn't an actual condition. Any pain they feel is just roleplaying.

Sure, same with D&D characters for that matter.

Other way around. If the MMO players think a faction is evil, than they can pretty much skip anything that faction says and just kill them instead.

To be fair, so far it is all about Trust. Or rather, what does it take to push someone into betraying others. Strictly speaking, you haven't needed to kill anyone so far in order to make money or progress in the 'games'. You are rewarded for doing so, very blatantly at that, but you don't need to. So maybe trust isn't the best word. Morality maybe? Getting a good person to kill. Or perhaps comparing what ends up being more successful, being 'good' or 'evil'.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

18. - Top - End - #78

Though I'd argue about the 'feel pain' part. That's not a condition after all. Feeling pain is just roleplaying.
    It's heavily abstracted, but 1. Fortitude saving throws represent, among other things, the ability to shrug off pain; and 2. there are pain spells and powers like Power Word: Pain, Symbol of Pain and Inflict Pain.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

The only thing I see when I press the FAQ button is the schedule. Though the respawn zone comment does pretty firmly put them in MMO status
    Here's the link. It's not FAQ, it's Q & A - http://www.neorice.com/main

I think you misunderstood me. I meant that D&D characters don't feel pain as that isn't an actual condition. Any pain they feel is just roleplaying.
    I've yet to see a Ghoul roleplay pain. For them it's less than that, it's just a stat change. Like losing 1 HP vs failing a check.

If the MMO players think a faction is evil,
    Evil? I've seen MMO players (since analogy is apt) go around spreading plagues, killing low power players and just being general **** heads for lulz. For them it's a game, for NPCs it's a battle to the death.

And now they made a special TV show where NPCs battle it out. I'm sure nothing bad will come from that.
    Last edited by -D-; 2021-04-28 at 11:27 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

It's heavily abstracted, but 1. Fortitude saving throws represent, among other things, the ability to shrug off pain; and 2. there are pain spells and powers like Power Word: Pain, Symbol of Pain and Inflict Pain.
    And HP can be represented as both the ability to take a hit and power through it, or the intrinsic ability to cause things to just barely miss or other plot armor abilities that you see in action movies. Roleplay either or.

And none of those abilities actually cause a condition called pain. The condition is incapacitated. If you want that to be, can't move/can't speak, sure. If you want that to be repeatedly saying ow over again that works too. Or you could go full screaming and flailing. Whatever. Point is that 'pain' isn't actually defined in D&D rules and thus is whatever you want it to be.

Here's the link. It's not FAQ, it's Q & A - http://www.neorice.com/main

I've yet to see a Ghoul roleplay pain. For them it's less than that, it's just a stat change. Like losing 1 HP vs failing a check.

Evil? I've seen MMO players (since analogy is apt) go around spreading plagues, killing low power players and just being general **** heads for lulz. For them it's a game, for NPCs it's a battle to the death.

And now they made a special TV show where NPCs battle it out. I'm sure nothing bad will come from that.
    Cool, thanks for the link.

That's my point.

Fair enough, though I'd call that being a griefer. I wouldn't say we've seen Ghouls act like that yet. They do seem to be actually 'playing' the game, whatever game it might be. As far as we can tell, the only people they consider players would be other ghouls and very maybe Tobi, but I doubt they do.

Also where are you getting that Ghouls made/run the Smile Foundation? You keep mentioning it as if it is a clearly stated fact, but I've never seen that suggested anywhere in the comic.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

21. - Top - End - #81

Point is that 'pain' isn't actually defined in D&D rules and thus is whatever you want it to be.
    https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Symbol_of_Pain
    This spell functions like symbol of death, except that each creature within the radius of a symbol of pain instead suffers wracking pains that impose a –4 penalty on attack rolls, skill checks, and ability checks. These effects last for 1 hour after the creature moves farther than 60 feet from the symbol.
    https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Inflict_Pain
    You telepathically stab the mind of your foe, causing horrible agony. The subject suffers wracking pain that imposes a –4 penalty on attack rolls, skill checks, and ability checks. If the target makes its save, it takes only a –2 penalty.
    https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Pipes_of_Pain
    As soon as the piping stops, all those affected are stricken by intense pain at even the slightest noise. Unless a character is in a totally silent area, she takes 1d4 points of damage per round for 2d4 rounds. During this time, damage from sonic attacks is doubled. Thereafter, the least noise causes an affected character to become shaken (except when she is in a totally silent area).

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Also where are you getting that Ghouls made/run the Smile Foundation? You keep mentioning it as if it is a clearly stated fact, but I've never seen that suggested anywhere in the comic.
    The fact they are seen openly recruiting for it, the fact that smile looks and behaves like a ghoul.
    Looks meaning the ghoulish smile, and bizzare behavior like extreme sadism.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

The fact they are seen openly recruiting for it, the fact that smile looks and behaves like a ghoul.
    Looks meaning the ghoulish smile, and bizzare behavior like extreme sadism.
    They aren't openly recruiting for it, they recruited Tobi by directly seeking her out and likely no one else, considering Levin's reaction to a beastman being in the game. Smile doesn't look like a ghoul at all, no horns and not squiggly teeth. And I'd hardly call it extreme sadism when there is always an option to not betray each other. Or rather, I'd say the games done by the Red Tower are much more sadistic, as blood and gore seem to be the only option, while blood and gore is completely avoidable in the games by the Smile Foundation.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

That's a very colourful playing field.
    I think the game hosts want to see some good old-fashioned violence.

And Levin sounds like he'll jump at the chance.
    So, betting time. Who will live? Who will die? Who will dye their hands in deepest crimson?

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

New comic

That's a very colourful playing field.
    I think the game hosts want to see some good old-fashioned violence.

And Levin sounds like he'll jump at the chance.
    So, betting time. Who will live? Who will die? Who will dye their hands in deepest crimson?
    My bet is no one will die, as we will get to see the Paladin go all out.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

They aren't openly recruiting for it, they recruited Tobi by directly seeking her out and likely no one else, considering Levin's reaction to a beastman being in the game. Smile doesn't look like a ghoul at all, no horns and not squiggly teeth. And I'd hardly call it extreme sadism when there is always an option to not betray each other. Or rather, I'd say the games done by the Red Tower are much more sadistic, as blood and gore seem to be the only option, while blood and gore is completely avoidable in the games by the Smile Foundation.
    The ghouls recruited her in the open. That's what I meant. My guess is that Shalia the paladin was recuited too.

Also, while not Outright sadist, it's psychologically sadistics.
    Oh. You don't have to betray each other. But if you do there is a reward. Oh, look there is a chainsaw and rules about no killing are suspended, toodooloo.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The ghouls recruited her in the open. That's what I meant. My guess is that Shalia the paladin was recuited too.

Also, while not Outright sadist, it's psychologically sadistics.
    Oh. You don't have to betray each other. But if you do there is a reward. Oh, look there is a chainsaw and rules about no killing are suspended, toodooloo.
    I mean, no one is forcing the candidates to use the chainsaw on each other.
    They're given the opportunity and some incentive to do so, sure, but everything else is on them.
    Clearly this is a psychology experiment.
    Sociology?
    Some of that headology stuff anyway.
    That it leads to some highly entertaining violence is just a bonus.

28. - Top - End - #88

The paladin recruited herself by following the ghouls to the furnace that serves as a disguised entrance to the Smile complex, and using her "seeker cells" to find the secret passage inside. They allowed her to participate, at the expense of Jay-Jay.

The ghouls themselves don't work directly for Smile, but are aware of it. When Tobi arrived in the complex, the Smile ladies were surprised she had arrived so soon.

I mean, no one is forcing the candidates to use the chainsaw on each other.
    They're given the opportunity and some incentive to do so, sure, but everything else is on them.
    Clearly this is a psychology experiment.
    Sociology?
    Some of that headology stuff anyway.
    That it leads to some highly entertaining violence is just a bonus.
    It's an extended riff on the prisoner's dilemma. The best outcome is if everyone cooperates in good faith, but fear of cheaters will push people to cheat. Good example of that: with the apple & orange trading, fruits given to the group are worth more than those you keep for yourself.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic
    Pablo time

On one hand those guys are usually pretty amusing.
    On the other hand boo cliffhanger.
    On the gripping hand the fade out should've been a hint.
    On the fourth tentacle I really want to know what the punishment game is about.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

New comic
    Pablo time

On one hand those guys are usually pretty amusing.
    On the other hand boo cliffhanger.
    On the gripping hand the fade out should've been a hint.
    On the fourth tentacle I really want to know what the punishment game is about.
    Yeah. Really, good cliffhanger.

Punishment game was about treasure and free for all. Although paladin wasn't there.