New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Hero Oh Hero

1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Default Re: Hero Oh Hero

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Yeah i personally claim BS on that
    Notice how she just say she took their test and came out clean.
    How hard do you think it would be for Veda to cheat that test?

<snip>

Or well. Supernatural at the very least. We do of course have other examples in Beastmen and Ghouls of alternative supernatural things.
    Yes, that's the gist of it. The people in this universe seem to have a very narrow understanding of what "magic" is, since they've got it sorted in three categories (to wit: pandemonium, free magic, magic potential), we've found out that pandemonium magic at least relies on a bound spirit (dunno about free and potential), and there's this "black crystal" McGuffin that blocks out magic.

But there's plenty of clearly-not-mundane skills (such as Tobi's blueprint-o-vision, no matter how much she insists it's totally normal, or the Paladin's grafted cells) that are technically not "magic" as far as it is understood in universe, but which clearly looks magical to us readers.

Or to go back to everyone's favorite Levin, we know he participated in Death Run and similar games, and that Death Run contestants are made to black crystal necklace to block their magic. It doesn't block Tobi's abilities, and presumably neither did it block Levin's. The Paladin didn't detect anything about Levin nor about Tobi. And of course, there's Burk, who's not using magic either, and yet is still absolutely ridiculous in combat. The Royal Guards also exhibit clearly supernatural speed and strength, and that can't just be chalked up to "training from birth".

And to be honest, Pablo's outfit is clearly weird, too.

Then if we take the recent intermission into account, we can hazard the guess that "magic" is understood as supernatural powers that originate from an alternate dimension (let's call it Pandemonium, as it has to be the home plane of those spirits of Pandemonium) trying to infiltrate the HOH world (perhaps to escape some unknown threat), but other supernatural powers (perhaps those "native" to the world instead of originating from Pandemonium) are not considered to be magic.

So if we accept that "magic" has a very narrow definition in this universe which doesn't encompass all sorts of supernatural abilities, then yes, it's perfectly reasonable to accept that Veda is indeed not a magic user. She still has weird powers, that much is indisputable.

In fact it's a bit surprising that the magical-but-not-magic thing is not more widely known, given freaks like Levin or Burk, Global Order bioweapon programs, or Livarian diplomatic couture.

Fun fact from re-reading: Herman and Sherman.
    Last edited by Gez; 2021-07-25 at 10:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rereading Noah's arc thanks to the discussion.
    Chernyl actually was mentioned during the briefing for the Haven mission.
    Looking back both the name and the photo* were kind of prophetic.

*Sure it's old, but it's still kinda ominous looking, like something out of a ghost story or something Lovecraft inspired.
    I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't change much in the twelve years (+?) since it was made.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Stuff
    I will say its vaguely disinformative to say Veda isnt a magic user. Instead of just that she likely isnt a human magic user.
    Since as such it does look like she uses magic.

And thinking about it. I also believe that the system we learned about were as such accurate enough.
    It just only applies to humans.

Where we got a decent amount of racial exceptions in Beastfolk. Ghouls. Whatever Tobi is. And likely a few others.

The Paladin dont seem like one of those. Besides her sight i would mostly call her a biological cyborg.

Regarding the Royal Guard. I actually do think they are just humans trained from birth.
    We have not been given any hints to the opposite. And if their abilities somethings seem to skirt the edge of the realistic.
    Then im ready to chalk it up to dramatic comic effect.

Burk is another matter. But while his strenght and speed are at a near superhuman level.
    Then they are still only at the edge of what is believeable. The most impossible thing he has done (besides his jumping ability),
    is knocking experienced spirit users out. His punches should not have been able to hurt Logan, Ariana or Goldman.

But they did. My personal theory there is something along the line of gold-laced bones.
    Meaning Burk's punches hurt in a way they should not. Because he is what 110 kg of muscle? and negate non-magical defence.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

4. - Top - End - #154

I will say its vaguely disinformative to say Veda isnt a magic user. Instead of just that she likely isnt a human magic user.
    Since as such it does look like she uses magic.
    Do you think making her wear a black crystal necklace would hinder her abilities?

If not, then it's not magic she uses. Even if it's something that otherwise quacks like magic and walks like magic.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Do you think making her wear a black crystal necklace would hinder her abilities?

If not, then it's not magic she uses. Even if it's something that otherwise quacks like magic and walks like magic.
    Hmm.. honestly i give it a 50/50 chance. We dont know enough about what black crystal do. Except its seemingly moderatly rare. Negate spirit on touch.
    And are super toxic.

At the same time. No. I dont accept the definition of magic as "everything shut down by black crystal".
    Not when we know so little about it.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You know, dropping all those heroes on the bandits is almost unfair.
    Overkill, really.
    So I expect the leader to either (try to) run away or break out the secret doomsday weapons.
    Wait. They're the guys with the doom-piglets, weren't they?
    Same group as those bandits from the beginning of Burk's story?
    Could get interesting.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Nah.. we know this should go moderatly easy. Its later on we get the big hero vs hero catfight.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

PIGGIES!

Clearly this is where our heroes shall aquire their loyal steeds.
    I'm sure Piper will extatic meeting those cuties.
    Pablo too, I guess...

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Pablo does thankfully have a very big security team.
    While Piper might want to roast those things from afar.

Im not to worried about the heroes though.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Bugbear in the Playground

I wouldn't worry about the heroes if they were just facing down the Überschwein.

Trying to fight the Überschwein while Burk tries to tame them instead of fighting, on the other hand, could get messy. Hopefully none of the heroes get dissolved
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yep.
    Nightshade Hero's seriously scary.
    Sure, we already knew he and his power are creepy, but this takes it to a new level.
    The guy looks outright villainous here.
    Poor piggies...

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, now I get it why we had the magic ghoul talk.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Another full chapter drop starting here: http://neorice.com/hoh_2052

Enjoy.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: new chapter
    Show
    Does this mean the game's finally started? I'm half expecting Infinite to fake it, but still, this seems like it will kick start the action.

Levin rises a very good point why it wasn't him though.
    There would be more bodies if he were the culprit.

Smile's alibi might be less airtight than seems at first glance.
    After all, who says they need hands to make a holey crime boss?

Maybe it wasBilly?
    There's only so many times someone can tolerate being misnamed before making a statement.

15. - Top - End - #165

For the long shot, I'm betting on Green. He's from Global Order, so we know he belongs to an organization dedicated to eradicating rogue mages like Infinite, he's been very mousey about his purpose here, and he's nowhere to be seen in this chapter.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

For the long shot, I'm betting on Green. He's from Global Order, so we know he belongs to an organization dedicated to eradicating rogue mages like Infinite, he's been very mousey about his purpose here, and he's nowhere to be seen in this chapter.
    Green does show up when everyone gathers in the main room, he just doesn’t make any contributions to the discussion so he’s not very noticeable.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

I'm putting my money on Bindy. Here's my reasoning:

We know the 'Red' Team from the last game has a gun of some sort. That means they are prime suspects. That's Jay-Jay, Mindy, Levin, and Maria.

We know Jay-Jay and Levin didn't have the gun going into the bonus round. So that leaves Bindy and Maria. No one mentioned Maria, so it is possible it was her.

But Bindy was there. And when she was leaving the bonus room she seemed to be fed up with Infinite's BS.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Bugbear in the Playground

Huh, didn't notice it was Neorice themselves that dropped the chapter link.

If you're still reading the thread, kudos, love the comic- many thanks for taking the time to make it for us! I know pixel art isn't nearly as simple as some people make it out to be, and yours is very good.

Spoiler
    Show
    Infinite, by the very nature of his powers, seems to be the one who could fake his own death the easiest.

That being said, there's someone else in play that everyone seems to be forgetting- both inside the comic and out- how much control does Infinite's Spirit of Pandemonium have over the clones that they generate for Infinite, should they happen to be in the mood to exert said control? A clone that shot its putative 'master', chucked the gun someplace inaccessible and out of sight, and then vanished into the aether would make for quite the locked-room mystery...
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    Huh, didn't notice it was Neorice themselves that dropped the chapter link.

If you're still reading the thread, kudos, love the comic- many thanks for taking the time to make it for us! I know pixel art isn't nearly as simple as some people make it out to be, and yours is very good.

Spoiler
    Show
    Infinite, by the very nature of his powers, seems to be the one who could fake his own death the easiest.

That being said, there's someone else in play that everyone seems to be forgetting- both inside the comic and out- how much control does Infinite's Spirit of Pandemonium have over the clones that they generate for Infinite, should they happen to be in the mood to exert said control? A clone that shot its putative 'master', chucked the gun someplace inaccessible and out of sight, and then vanished into the aether would make for quite the locked-room mystery...
    Thanks so much Chameleon! I appreciate it! Yeah I figured it'd be a bit easier for people to know where to start with the drop if I just link the first page, hahaha.

Appreciate the comments on the art.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Noah time
    Army: "You have my bow."
    Royal Guard:"And my axe."
    Secret Police:"We're gonna blow this place to kingdom come at first excuse."

They're called "secret" police because it is better to keep them in the dark, right?

I wouldn't be surprised if the capture team finds out blowing the city up would make things worse and they still insist on doing so.

Burk time

Burk has free hand to "defend himself"?
    Someone made a tactical mistake, I think.

Tobi time
    A trivia quiz?
    I kinda expect questions like?
    "What is Intern #3's favourite number?"
    "How many blue fields has the killing floor in the third game?"
    "How often did Smile lie so far?"
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2021-10-15 at 09:05 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

I think less eradicating.. more just countering. The main goal seems to prevent them from doing as they please and creating chaos.
    And i can see why someone might guess Mr Green is secretly a GO assasin. But infinity joined on very short notice.
    So i find it unlikely Mr Green is someone send after Infinity. More likely he is there of his own reasons.

I'm putting my money on Bindy. Here's my reasoning:
    Not an unreasonable guess. For a significant amount of murders the victim did know his killer.

Tobi time
    A trivia quiz?
    Turns out its a world building overdose :P
    Well we got a lot of interesting information. Like what caused the fall of the GO founder.
    Whats the major GO political parties. Who are then 10 most wanted criminals.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Turns out its a world building overdose :P
    Well we got a lot of interesting information. Like what caused the fall of the GO founder.
    Whats the major GO political parties. Who are then 10 most wanted criminals.
    Not just world building. We saw Magilante queen. Confirming they are in fact machines.

Also red boi there looks very sus. Kinda like some teacher.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm.. no we didnt see the Magilante Queen.
    Just a Queen from Magilante. A vital difference

Though good point on the resemblence Mr Red have with Garth.

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Not just world building. We saw Magilante queen. Confirming they are in fact machines.
    Did we? If you mean the Brass Queen of Dolls, she is described as "one of the many magilante automatom[sic] to go rogue". And she is one of the Top Ten Most Wanted Criminals In The World. So based on the fact that she went rogue and is considered a criminal, the likelihood that she is in fact the actual queen of Magilante is approximately zero.

It's kind of like saying Tarzan is the King of England because he's English and King of the Jungle.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Rereading Noah's arc thanks to the discussion.
    Chernyl actually was mentioned during the briefing for the Haven mission.
    Looking back both the name and the photo* were kind of prophetic.

*Sure it's old, but it's still kinda ominous looking, like something out of a ghost story or something Lovecraft inspired.
    I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't change much in the twelve years (+?) since it was made.
    I also read the old strips again. And Chernyl's power have been foreshadowed already back in 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm.. no thats not a foreshadowing to Cherryls power.
    Its a reference to the time where someones nightmare almost killed Noah, because he got stuck in it.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Why didn't they vote on mr brown's answer?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Thats a good question.
    The answer is very likely that the author forgot.

29. - Top - End - #179

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Why didn't they vote on mr brown's answer?
    I'd say they did, it just wasn't shown with the usual color panel. But Levin's comment of "and so the competition gets culled, perfect" shows he clearly thought Brown's answer was a disqualification, and Green as we saw knew the actual answer.

BTW: Levin's color in that game is purple, so the finalists are Green and Purple.
    Last edited by Gez; 2021-10-25 at 03:37 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

It's kind of like saying Tarzan is the King of England because he's English and King of the Jungle.
    My argument here was that Tarzan was a human, his official title isn't as important. Missing the forest from the trees. Is she a leader or just a puppet or a PR head? Don't really care.