New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Hero Oh Hero

1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hero Oh Hero

So anyone else think it is deliberate that Tobi is set up in such a way to not share anything about herself? Like, she literally can't. She's forbidden to participate since she has no winnings, so she can't double her winnings by sharing something about herself.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Who do you think deliberately did that? The people running the game?

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

Interestingly, this question is one that Three could potentially answer! Supposing he knows, and at least makes a guess. Since Tobi and him have made a sign language to designate each of the contestants. He could hit the button, make a sign, and have Tobi interpret it, then do a thumb up gesture or something to confirm Tobi's interpretation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

So anyone else think it is deliberate that Tobi is set up in such a way to not share anything about herself? Like, she literally can't. She's forbidden to participate since she has no winnings, so she can't double her winnings by sharing something about herself.
    Nah. They had no way to control she would be unable to score any points at all, even by random chance, in round first.
    The odds were not -that- bad of getting at least 1 thing right.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Who do you think deliberately did that? The people running the game?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Nah. They had no way to control she would be unable to score any points at all, even by random chance, in round first.
    The odds were not -that- bad of getting at least 1 thing right.
    Yeah, I expected them to all get personal questions about themselves, but it looks like that was pretty limited.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

This question seems like the perfect setup to make everybody think that Smile didn't murder infinity, only to reveal that it's the suit that is called Smile and the person inside has a different name. That would explain why Smile says that he "technically" has no problem with being voted for.

Or it's just a big red herring.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

I think your overthinking this.
    Mr Green's reasoning is perfectly viable for a scientist. Find out what the heck the deal is with the suit person.
    He dont want to kill a person with the vote thing. So he might as well sate his curiosity.

And we know the suit person could not be the killer. Due to not being able to hold a weapon.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

I dunno, Tobi. "Will your answers make us kill you?" is a pretty good question.
    With that in mind I'd definitely wait until I've heard all their answers before voting.

Also, if it wasn't consistent with how it acted so far I'd think the Smile-Voice (the game_master) wanted Tobi and Jay-Jay to take the deal.
    I mean, I still suspect it, simply because it might want to keep the Smile-suit in the game- not the player necessarily, but having a "body" to hijack and act directly in-game seems like it is too useful a pawn/tool to discard this early in the experiment.
    Still, might just be part of the "very literal GM persona". Maybe.

Edit: Also, looking at the previous round of votes I'm not sure how useful the "Are you the Host?" question actually is.
    If the Host is in the game, would the lies get you killed rule even apply to them? That and the unrestricted killing seem like the more obvious exemptions for them.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2021-11-01 at 04:41 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    New comic

I dunno, Tobi. "Will your answers make us kill you?" is a pretty good question.
    With that in mind I'd definitely wait until I've heard all their answers before voting.

Also, if it wasn't consistent with how it acted so far I'd think the Smile-Voice (the game_master) wanted Tobi and Jay-Jay to take the deal.
    I mean, I still suspect it, simply because it might want to keep the Smile-suit in the game- not the player necessarily, but having a "body" to hijack and act directly in-game seems like it is too useful a pawn/tool to discard this early in the experiment.
    Still, might just be part of the "very literal GM persona". Maybe.

Edit: Also, looking at the previous round of votes I'm not sure how useful the "Are you the Host?" question actually is.
    If the Host is in the game, would the lies get you killed rule even apply to them? That and the unrestricted killing seem like the more obvious exemptions for them.
    If she had worded it that way, sure. But she said 'are you worried that your answers will make us kill you?' which is a lot less incriminating.

EDIT: Okay, so what just happened? He didn't even finish not answering the question when he was executed, and he had 4 green votes at the time. Even if the cop voted Red, he still had a good chance of pulling through. So why couldn't he answer the question? It makes me think there was something else, some extra rule or condition that he had to keep secret.

Which if it was, I suppose we will be learning about soon!
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2021-11-02 at 01:02 AM.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

10. - Top - End - #190

Well, that was that.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm.. no thats not a foreshadowing to Cherryls power.
    Its a reference to the time where someones nightmare almost killed Noah, because he got stuck in it.
    I think it was both. he meant it as a reference to what just happened, but it also describes what would happen again. Like when in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia someone says "I won't do X" and then the title card says "The gang does X". I also think Noah's and Cherryls powers are somehow connected, or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    EDIT: Okay, so what just happened? He didn't even finish not answering the question when he was executed, and he had 4 green votes at the time. Even if the cop voted Red, he still had a good chance of pulling through. So why couldn't he answer the question? It makes me think there was something else, some extra rule or condition that he had to keep secret.
    My theory: He had to keep everything about him secret, or the Smile Corporation does something to his daughter, or doesn't give her something as promised. So he rather choose death.
    Personal note: poor guy. This is a really f-ed up game, and it seems an innocent person just got murdered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    My theory: He had to keep everything about him secret, or the Smile Corporation does something to his daughter, or doesn't give her something as promised. So he rather choose death.
    Personal note: poor guy. This is a really f-ed up game, and it seems an innocent person just got murdered.
    Sounds like it's pretty much this.
    And I pretty much agree with Levin (And hopefully I'll never have to say that again. ). This is seriously messed up, even for a game like this.

I mean, set up challenges where death is the likelier outcome by far? Well, it is a Death Game, the contestants knew what they signed up for.
    Players backstabbing each other? Part of the challenge.
    Give a player loose conditions that make death inevitable?
    Yeah, no. Might as well shoot the poor guy and be done with it.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Did we learn Infinity's secret when he died?

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Yeah, on this page:
    http://neorice.com/hoh_2057

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

And I pretty much agree with Levin (And hopefully I'll never have to say that again. ). This is seriously messed up, even for a game like this.

I mean, set up challenges where death is the likelier outcome by far? Well, it is a Death Game, the contestants knew what they signed up for.
    Players backstabbing each other? Part of the challenge.
    Give a player loose conditions that make death inevitable?
    Yeah, no. Might as well shoot the poor guy and be done with it.
    Depends on how it was set up. 'Smile Guy' very well might have known his rule before he got into the game. And that he would be used as a proxy for the Smile to talk. With an absolutely massive reward to be had, he might have thought it was worth the risk. But I bet he didn't know about the box of truth thing, so that was very much a gotcha moment that got him killed.

We did. Infinite's secret was that someone had entered the game under false pretenses and that you get 5 mil for identifying them and another 5 mil for killing them.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

If Levine thinks something is messed up, it is messed up.
    That said, I wonder if this demonstration was intended for players like Levine. The existence of secret rules and mutually exclusive rules make his way of pure self-interest less attractive. And something like this could have happened earlier too; Jay-Jay and the Paladin were linked, so if they had killed her early the Paladin would have died too. Maybe there are more of those rules out there.

New chapter: One of the figures looks like Mr Smile, and one like one of those monsters from Tobi's first chapters. I guess the plot thickens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

I dont think it was intended for Levin directly.
    Because as such. It dont really affects his way directly. The risk of random unavoidable death affects everyone equally.
    Though i dont know. Can be they want to study the effect it have on the contestants.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

This interrogation chamber is a death chamber. If you put people in it, they might die. Red shirt guy knew that, and put someone in it anyway. He shouldn't be shocked they died. Sure, it wasn't the way he expected, but he chose to put Smile's life in peril by putting him in the chamber.

The real lesson is if you don't want people to die, don't put them in death chambers against their will.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2021-11-06 at 10:53 AM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm.. well.. the entire game is a death game.
    You should not enter it unless you were ready to risk things.

Else.. i do have have mixed feelings about the situation.
    Because at the same time. The voting chamber -seemed- to have fairly transparent rules.
    And it was the first time a surprise rule unexpectedly killed somebody.

While at the same time. Someone had just been killed by another contestant.
    So i can see why Mr Green though this was a way to get a few answers from the most mysterious contestant.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I guess Green figured enough players were unlikely to vote "kill" without sufficient reason that putting someone into the "no lies" room was worth the risk.
    The dearly departed Yellow's special rule turning this into a "heads you die, tails you die" situation was something no one could have know before hand.
    Well, Yellow did obviously , but he couldn't tell them without breaking his rule anyway.

New comic

Well, they definitely send their best and brightest to accompany our heroes.
    Kinda makes sense though.
    They're there as ablative shields/lightning rods.
    Might as well send the guys you can afford loosing.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2021-11-06 at 05:21 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

I guess Green figured enough players were unlikely to vote "kill" without sufficient reason that putting someone into the "no lies" room was worth the risk.
    The dearly departed Yellow's special rule turning this into a "heads you die, tails you die" situation was something no one could have know before hand.
    Well, Yellow did obviously , but he couldn't tell them without breaking his rule anyway.
    I figure Green likely didn't care if Yellow died. Or perhaps to put it another way; his conscience would rest easy if he voted for Yellow to live. If he still ended up dying because everyone else voted for him to die, well that's not Green's fault, technically.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

I figure Green likely didn't care if Yellow died. Or perhaps to put it another way; his conscience would rest easy if he voted for Yellow to live. If he still ended up dying because everyone else voted for him to die, well that's not Green's fault, technically.
    He clearly did care enough to not wish Levin on the voting block that felt like the same as killing him.
    But at the same time, he knew he would vote green. At the same time Tobi, the paladin and 3 were also guaranteed.
    Thats already 4 votes. For someone so insignificant i cant see anyone bothering to vote kill.

Well, they definitely send their best and brightest to accompany our heroes.
    Kinda makes sense though.
    They're there as ablative shields/lightning rods.
    Might as well send the guys you can afford loosing.
    They do not impress with their competence.
    We can only hope there is a few royal guards stealthing around.
    This group dont look impressive.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

He clearly did care enough to not wish Levin on the voting block that felt like the same as killing him.
    But at the same time, he knew he would vote green. At the same time Tobi, the paladin and 3 were also guaranteed.
    Thats already 4 votes. For someone so insignificant i cant see anyone bothering to vote kill.

They do not impress with their competence.
    We can only hope there is a few royal guards stealthing around.
    This group dont look impressive.
    Exactly. And if everyone did vote red (or yellow), then that's not his fault. Even though he did put Yellow into harm's way. Unless, of course, Green is the guy who is working for the Smile Foundation and thus knew Yellow's rule from the start. I do think Green is a suspect of that since he got every answer correct on the trivia quiz

Nah, someone in the Secret Police is just genre saavy. Bring along a couple of mooks so they can get picked off by monsters and let the team get closer.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Well i think the amount of harms way is neglible considering they got a murder to investigate.
    But i also think its a bit of a stretch to think Mr Green actively trued to murder that guy. I mean why?
    He isnt really doing anything besides being there. And Levin also almost got all the answers correct.
    It seems a lot more likely Mr Green is just a member of the Global Order like hinted.

Hmm.. also.. seriously..
    They left Noah out of sight in a monster infested area?

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think Nail might be scarier than the "so called Nightmare".
    Which makes me wonder what the actually dangerous ones will look like...

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Well.. the scary thing about the nightmares are that they are fairly stealthy sadistic killers with limited regard for their own life (sneaking around in a castle full of armed people for fun).
    But we dont know how well the measure up against actual opposition. We saw Mr Kimble caught one.

Nail meanwhile.. well he certainly is a skilled combatant.
    But its hard to say how skilled yet.
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2021-11-13 at 11:26 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Well.. the scary thing about the nightmares are that they are fairly stealthy sadistic killers with limited regard for their own life (sneaking around in a castle full of armed people for fun).
    But we dont know how well the measure up against actual opposition. We saw Mr Kimble caught one.

Nail meanwhile.. well he certainly is a skilled combatant.
    But its hard to say how skilled yet.
    Didn't Kimble catch one after everyone else failed to affect it?

Also, this thing wasn't trying to kill Noah. It was trying to scare him. The killing move comes later.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Not everyone?
    Just the kid whose ability was to freeze objects and spirit constructs. Unfortunately it wasnt either.
    Mr Kimble is a serious combatant. Im not certain about any of the other kids except Gazz.

And well yeah it playing around with Noah is why Noah wasnt dead.
    It being a worse combatant than Nail is why its dead.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Not everyone?
    Just the kid whose ability was to freeze objects and spirit constructs. Unfortunately it wasnt either.
    Weapons girl too. But yeah, in both cases the problem is that those things aren't made from spirit.
    As Nail said, the two magic soldiers best suited to counter magic were useless against them.

Which is kind of concerning, because... what are they then? Where does Chernyl's magic pull them from?
    I guess they might be something like Jay Jay's buddy, just less controlled/friendly.
    Not that that answers anything.

30. - Top - End - #210

Weapons girl too. But yeah, in both cases the problem is that those things aren't made from spirit.
    Note that she only failed to damage it because she tried to use her spirit-cutter weapon, designed to have no physical effect at all. If she had used one of her normal weapons instead, it'd have worked much better.