New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Hero Oh Hero

1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Hero Oh Hero

New comic

Good advice Ciel, but unless you know a martial arts that mostly involves not moving and passively flopping not very helpful.
    Maybe Noah should pick someone's brains about it.

Besides, so far Noah's not-surviving skills aren't very impressive. Mostly because others get in the way or because he passively flops around and/or not-moves just right, but still, the boy is impressively bad at not-surviving.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Noah's general survival skills are indeed abysmal.
    I honestly think they are mostly supported by him being so harmless he gets ignored most times.

As for picking someones brain.
    Problem is Noah has so far not learned anything directly from entering someone elses mind.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Good advice Ciel, but unless you know a martial arts that mostly involves not moving and passively flopping not very helpful.
    Maybe Noah should pick someone's brains about it.
    Sumo might be a sport Noah would like, the aim is to not be moved by your opponent.

When the three storylines converge and Noah gets to join Burk's team, please just put him in a backpack, carried by Burk à la Banjo-Kazooie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

When the three storylines converge and Noah gets to join Burk's team, please just put him in a backpack, carried by Burk à la Banjo-Kazooie.
    Thankfully we know Burk would only relish such a challenge

Though might not be needed. Might be Ciel will actually talk Noah into manifesting her physically.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground

Huh. Speaking of storylines merging, I'd be very curious as to what, exactly, Tobi would see while Noah had Ciel hanging about.

And are the critters called 'nightmares' because they come out of the collective unconscious or whatever, or are they called that because that's what they give you? Because they bear at least a passing resemblance to the spirit of pandemonium that Tobi saw, and it would be a pretty convincing explanation as to why various magic-y solutions aren't working against them, given that they seem to be the source of human(-ish?) magic.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. Speaking of storylines merging, I'd be very curious as to what, exactly, Tobi would see while Noah had Ciel hanging about.
    Its almost possible to state for a fact, Tobi would just see Ciel hanging around. Since we know people with the sight can see Ciel.

And are the critters called 'nightmares' because they come out of the collective unconscious or whatever, or are they called that because that's what they give you? Because they bear at least a passing resemblance to the spirit of pandemonium that Tobi saw, and it would be a pretty convincing explanation as to why various magic-y solutions aren't working against them, given that they seem to be the source of human(-ish?) magic.
    Well Noah at least stated they were Cheryls nightmares given form.
    So far he is the person most informed on the subject.

We were also told in comic by Noel, that the reason anti-magic tricks dont work on them is that they are physical constructs, not made of spirit matter.
    Magic itself works just fine on them. Its anti-magic tools that fail.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    We were also told in comic by Noel, that the reason anti-magic tricks dont work on them is that they are physical constructs, not made of spirit matter.
    Magic itself works just fine on them. Its anti-magic tools that fail.
    Seems at least some magic doesn't work. But Noah invented Magic Missile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

I think its a little to early to draw that conclusion.
    Considering its Noah we are dealing with. And that its the first time he tries this move.

It can in fact easily be the purpose of this move -is- to be the equivalent of bouncing a tennis ball off on a bikers helmet.
    If so it worked flawlessly

9. - Top - End - #219

It collided with it and it noticed it, I think it isn't a case of not working but that Noah didn't effectively turn it into a weapon yet. Maybe he needs it to be spiky, or just have more force or maybe he can figure out how to make it explode on impact.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2021-11-25 at 07:57 AM.

10. - Top - End - #220

... or he just needs to make it very pointy.

The kid with the glasses whose name I forget has some very interesting abilities. Wonder what kind of explanation we'll get for them (or if there was one and I've already forgotten it >.>)
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

There is an explanation for it.
    The kid with the glasses (noel) is not a magic user.
    He is an esper like the white-haired one-armed lady from burk's story.

He has the ability to see spirits. And as we see manipulate spirit.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    The kid with the glasses whose name I forget has some very interesting abilities. Wonder what kind of explanation we'll get for them (or if there was one and I've already forgotten it >.>)
    Noel. It's the Noah, Noel, and Nail show. We're still missing Nate, Nash, Nico, Nils, Nino, Noor, Nora, Nola, Nana, Navi, and Nell.

As for the explanation, well, he's an Esper. He cannot manifest spirit on his own, but he can manipulate spirit manifested by other people. That's why his role in the Malhart Kid Squad was to interfere with the Veda Kid Squad's magic, and why he can shape and direct Noah's spirit orbs. This capacity of espers to interfere with other people's magic is also why Evyle could just untransform the weaponized pig at the bandit lair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

As far as things like this go, you will follow their orders without question or be executed, but also they lead from the front, is not the worst structure for the secret police to have.

This guy is still an idiot for trying to hunt a monster he knows can't be killed by his gun.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2021-12-05 at 12:43 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

He can put them down for a few minutes at least, which is time to sort out blocking doors to keep the nightmare contained while they move on.

It's still stupid, because if he goes down the entire city might get blown up even if the mission is still going and has a good chance of success, while the ordinary guards and the police chief are honestly completely expendable for the purposes of the mission, while the secret police are both really important.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Holy &%¤ thats some intense nightmares Cheryl has.
    Hands up. Who do not think the dentist one is intense?

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

I love how subtle and understated that place looks.

Well, Chernyl's powers bring forth nightmares.
    Makes sense they'd put her inside some kinda dark lord's castle.
    Probably in the dungeons.

On the plus side, they can't miss the place, even if they loose the Radar.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, that whole "blow up the city and kill everyone quickly" plan seems the most reasonable idea so far. Much more human than getting the entire population tortured to death by a dentist of absolute evil, and way more likely to succeed than the mission. This looks like another one of these omens they asked about in the qustion round in Tobi's story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Im not certain what magic omen this fits with.
    But yeah. The choice to just nuke Haven in case Cheryl's power was unleashed seems increasingly validated.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Given the circumstanes they were in when the plan was devised it was definitely the best plan the empire could do at the time.

Now they have magic users, and whatever Nail is, they have a chance to salvage the situation and use the bomb as a plan B. Which is to say that a few hours of the city being ravaged by Chernyl's power then saved is strictly better than the whole place being reduced to a pile of irradiated rubble. Likely to succeed or not, the empire does have something of a moral duty to at least try to pursue the least damaging option presented to them, though I doubt they'd agree with that sentiment.

Also, does anyone else find Chernyl's name awfully reminiscent of Chernobyl? For a massively destructive being with no control over her powers and who the original contaiment plan for is a nuke, it seems a tad on the nose.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Certainly wise enough to try and at least spend the attempt salvaging the situation.
    Or even evacuating the city then sending in the army with the new knowledge of the situation.
    Its quite likely Cherryl is herself held captive by her nightmares.

Also slightly uncertain about who should be blamed most for this mess.
    The Secret Police for not informing anyone else of the hidden danger.
    Or the Army/Royal Guard for not telling anyone in the Secret Police they were going for Malhart.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

I'd say the army/royal guard, the secret police's job is to remain secret after all. More specifically the fault lies with Veda for being so quick to have Malhart shot when she knew his power was keeping Chernyl subdued, and also for seeking out Chernyl in the first place.

Though I wonder why the SP don't have a liason officer of some sort from their higher ups involved in the imperial magic program, you'd think they'd have an agent following Veda around.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Are those Secret Police goons ranked by inverse execution happiness or something?
    #3 would've shot first and asked permission later?

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Also, does anyone else find Chernyl's name awfully reminiscent of Chernobyl? For a massively destructive being with no control over her powers and who the original contaiment plan for is a nuke, it seems a tad on the nose.
    Yep. I think I called her name "in hindsight prophetic" earlier. Probably nosuch connotations in-universe.
    Yet.
    If this ever gets out "Chernyl" might be in the "Top3 least popular (girl's) names in the Empire"
    As in "even consider using that name and we execute your entire extended family tree."

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

But that would be confessing the Chernyl incident had taken place.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Think about how many buildings they plan to traverse this way. It seems like a terrible plan.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

With how many nightmares prowl the street, it seems better than the alternative.
    Problem is they dont really have any meaningful alternatives.

Or well. The few thats slightly better is hindered by the secret police.
    They could likely have build a more effective team.

Also. Just realized.
    It seems Espers are not affected by black crystal.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

To be honest, other than having the royal guard come along, and possibly carry Noah in some sort of harness to compensate for his physical failings at times like this, I'm not sure what else they could do that wouldn't be bringing hordes of nightmares pouring in to investigate the noise they'd make with any other team.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

They could have brought a member of the royal guard. Who might have been fit enough to bring Noah along.
    I honestly dont know what they are doing.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Did a little archive binge, because I could swear that there were reasons given for the expedition being so small, the royal guard are apparently guarding the flanks of the expedition, keeping more monsters from closing in from the surrounding area in what ways they can. Which makes sense I suppose, they're following along the fringes in the shadows doing what they do best: quietly murdering things.

The army is doing... something. Fighting I suppose, blocking streets and trying to make safe areas for civilians or something and draw the attention of nightmares.

The local commander and his men are along to serve as extra muscle in the event it proves necessary.

The secret police themselves are only really along to contact their colleague in case things need to go boom. Which is better than them deciding to go boom without trying this plan, or them trying to work out when to send the city up in smoke without being able to see what's going on. I also get the impression that Number 1 is likely to get executed by his superiors even if the plan works, because he disobeyed a direct order by not immediately nuking the city, which is honestly shockingly decent of him.

Noel also advised they bring as small a team as possible on a previous page, since some of the more intelligent and powerful nightmares would be able to stop them easily if they got noticed. Given that he says some can kill with a look, and that Nail seems to be the only defence against that, there's probably a practical limitation to the size of any group depending on how Nail's powers work.

Really the big problem with the plan is Noah, his physical and psychological shortcomings are a major impediment to the plan even while his magic is important for it's success. Other than his ability to sense and hide spirit he's actually not very useful*, though having an esper around seems to mitigate his inability to help in fights because at least now he can make ammo for someone.

*Both are very good abilities in normal magical situtations mind you.
    Last edited by Grim Portent; 2021-12-20 at 08:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Fair point. It can easily be that the royal guards are doing more good where they are. Even if its not visible that they are.

At the same time. it still seems like a oversight Noahs physical state had not been taken into account.
    Basically anyone involved with the kids at all should know you cant expect more than walking from Noah.

And the problem is really, that you still desperatly need Noah for this mission.
    The guy who said he wasnt needed any longer is a moron.

To start with its only Noel who can actually point Cheryl out for them.
    Since i believe their latest photo is some 10-15 year old.

Worse is their mission is to find a single person in a skyscraper sized construction, swarming with hostile stuff.
    Thats hard when you have a radar to ping out the precise location.
    When all you have is a vague direction?..
    (and this doesnt even get into the case of Nightmares Moving Cheryl)

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not sure how much they can be expected to account for Noah, their original plan was just to walk through the streets, with the decision to take to the rooftops being made when they discovered that the nightmares can't die.

Deciding he's not essential is certainly arrogance on the part of the JSP, but then I get the impression that they don't really care if they succeed on this mission or not, as long as they manage to trigger the mushroom bomb in the event of it failing.

I do wonder if this is going to result in Noah getting properly separated from the group and running into Nail, then proceeding with him to find Chernyl.