New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: (IC) Festival of Heroes 5 - Thrymskvida - Main

Geiravor looked to Aurora. "Those daemons that escaped with the dragon wights were digging down to the city sewers for some reason and then consumed by an ogre that turned into a pile of worms. Aurix, The Captain, and I fought it, but after an exhausting battle, it escaped into the ground. It was evil, but I have no idea which faction it was with."
    Edge Grinder

The Bellows of War
    Prince Alloishus Figleaf of Lilygrove, Elven Spell Dancer

Bartleby Herrmannsdorfer, Dwarven Forgemaster

The Lily Blooms
    Nesse Nola, Paladin of Sarenrae

Festival of Heroes
    Co-DM and Princess Geiravor of Juvelnord, Aasimar Warpriestess

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear chuckled.

"I came up with it just now off the top of my head, I was trying to express how I love watching you work, like watching a shark stalk her prey. You have a predatory spirit in you, I know the nobles are certainly predators as well, But I see in you a fighting spirit that makes these nobles pale in comparison. "

He mused for a while.

"What do you know about me qetesh?"
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, obviously not ours," Aurora remarked dryly, "so I don't know that we need to know much more specific than that about where it stands. Or, er... crawls? Were you able to identify what the creature was? If not, then perhaps researching that in the library would be a good task for Jaylyn since she's mostly out of spells. I'm still relatively fresh, though I am getting physically tired. I can still help track though. It just would be difficult to keep a strenuous pace for very long at this point."

Qetesh was quiet, organizing her thoughts, as they arrived at the cafe. Once they were seated, she propped her chin in her hand and peered up at her ogre companion. She lowered her lashes, taking on a very introspective expression.
    "Well, I know you're an ogre. Ogres sometimes subjugate goblin tribes in a similar fashion to orcs. But sometimes it's the other way around, too, with clever goblin tribes controlling an orc or ogre and using them like a guard dog. Goblinoids, orcs and ogres all kind of fall into the same category... the mostly greenish, grayish, brownish or orangey skinned monsters with sharp teeth and a penchant for not differentiating between types of meat. And I think that, though you're very different from most of your kin, there's a part of you that is still like that that you deny. I think that you're trying so hard to be like the civilized humanoids and divorce yourself from monstrosity that you're bottling up parts of yourself in ways that aren't healthy."
    "I think that's why you like watching me work. You see me 'preying' on civilized humanoids in a way that is still somewhat respectable. You get a vicarious thrill of the hunt because, secretly, deep down, you want to hunt them, too."
    "I think also that's why you didn't have your healer friends cast a precautionary 'Remove Disease' on you after you were bitten by that werebear. I think you secretly wanted to become a werebear, so you could have an outlet for that bestial, monstrous side of you while scapegoating the lycanthropic lack of control."
    Qetesh tilted her head and lifted her gaze to meet his.
    "I think you need to be more open to just being. Your existence isn't wrong, it's just... different. It's not what the civilized humanoids are comfortable with because they don't like to acknowledge that they are a food source. They fancy themselves at the top of the food chain, even though there are thousands of monsters, animals and magical beasts that would delight in their flesh. It's not just ogres and goblins."
    "It's alright to be a monster, Umbear. The civilized humanoids are every bit as monstrous as the monstrous humanoids. Sometimes worse, because they are, on average, more intelligent than we are, and they claim to know better, yet they choose to be monsters anyway!"
    "I'm concerned that if you deprive yourself for too long, you'll begin suffering cravings too powerful to resist, and you'll hurt someone you actually care about. So, don't hold back all the time. When you crave flesh, eat an enemy. Don't worry so much about what your friends think about it. If they're true friends, they'll understand."
    Qetesh looked away and downward.
    "Everything else I may know about you is rumors. Rumors you killed your family, rumors you killed friends. Rumors that you're obsessed with the fey folk, that you are protective of those smaller than you. Rumors that you hate bullies, rumors that you're a pathological liar, that you steal... that last one I at least feel reasonably sure is false, or at least hasn't proved true since you arrived in Juvelnord, else we probably wouldn't be sitting here together right now," she said, meeting his gaze again with a grin.
    "My job is to figure out what you want and why you want it. How you got that way isn't usually relevant, so I don't really seek out information on my clients' pasts, except to learn if they have a history of harming their lovers. As far as Ra could uncover, you don't have such a history, so I feel reasonably confident that you won't do me any intentional harm."
    Spoiler: Aurora
    Show

Spoiler: Inaemehkiwak (Ina)
    Show

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

McLaughlin smiles at Malaika. "There's a difference between overhearin' someone's name and bein' properly introduced! I surely prefer the latter, especially where a woman's involved." He gives her a winning smile. "Drinkin's a hobby of mine, along with doin' as little as possible for long intervals, so I've drunk a fair bit. I'll drink anythin' tha's meant to be drunk and game anythin' tha's in good fun, as long as we're havin' a good time!"

Aurix adds, "It was called the Worm that Walks, and I doubt it has a side. From what I've heard, the worms possess and animate a dead body and retain the spellcasting it had in life. I don't know how that powerful of a spellcaster was felled and possessed, but that ogre was about as strong as one of us."
    Festival of Heroes: Aurix Kornari- 6' Human with golden scales on his skin, blond hair, green Draconic eyes, carrying a halberd, meets people with a warm smile.
    Spoiler: If you speak Draconic
    Show
    Aurix Kornari means "Gold Heart"

DM of Twinborn

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

Malaika chuckled.
    "I don't really have a habit of worrying about propriety," she commented. "Just call me Mal. And you... 'McLaughlin' is usually a surname in my experience. Is that your first name or have you another?" she asked as they arrived at the dinning hall.
    "Let's have a bottle of Dwarven Fire Whiskey for the little daredevil, and a pitcher of mead and a few mugs for everyone else," she told a kitchen servant.
    "I wouldn't say the dwarves make the strongest liquor. Elven Nectar Mead is pretty potent too, despite the delicate name. Of course, the dwarves and elves don't really agree that their brews are overly strong. Seems each race has their trademark booze, and are affected most strongly by what they don't make themselves. Perhaps someday, the Boss and I will sneak back to our homeland long enough to get the recipe for Shobhad Cactus Tequila. I bet all you shorties would really burn your gullets on that," she laughed.

"Hmm... Perhaps the caster was a necromancer or something and voluntarily succumbed to the worms for a sort of quasi-immortality. It wouldn't be all that different from becoming a lich, if you ask me," Aurora said, tilting her head thoughtfully.
    Last edited by Wolfykins; 2019-10-11 at 12:48 PM.
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #306
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jaylyn looked over to Aurora. "Why not ask the Demoness I have dominated. If anybody knows what all was in that group it be her." Jaylyn said somewhat hesitantly.
    Festival of Heroes: Jaylyn a 5 foot Kitsune with golden brown fur, black ears, and golden eyes. She's an average build leaning on the smaller size. When in human form her hair is golden blonde, but retains her golden eyes. her build is still average but a bit bigger then in Kitsune form.

No matter which from she is in, she always seen in her white halter-top dress, carrying a 5 foot staff with a sapphire on top, and a jeweled necklace around her neck.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear gave a bemused smile as qetesh analyzed umbear based on his race and how shed seen him act. He waited for a breathing point before responding.

"Well well, you know me better than myself in some cases. I do try.. to as you say, divorce myself from other ogres, especially in front of the civlized folk. They tend to... put down their pitch forks when they think you are not going to eat them. I hadnt thought about living through you vicariously, that could be an explination of why I get so excited watching you, and its not even sexual... its more primal than that. So look at you, unlocking my mind, you're good at that. "

He looked down at his hands for a few moments.

"Harmon... I think was more an oversight. maybe it was unconscious, but that was not planned. I had literally forgetten it had even happened."

Drinking some of the water the waiter had left while they decided on what to eat he hid behind the glass too small to hide behind. He voice went low.

"Monsters... have a negative connotation.... monsters each children in the night, Monsters slay parents and leave orphans... Monsters come to slay the world. The Mother of Monsters.... of you and I, I regect her... and everything about her....I dont want to be a monster Qetesh... But Id be okay being an ogre."

Umbears attention was drawn back when she mentioned rumors.

"Lets see what I can dispell from my Rumor Monger Friend Ra's Purse of lies. Speaking of Ra... lets ambush him more, I loved seeing you laugh like that, it was pure joy I saw in your eyes, and I loved it."

He mused over the things she said and he let out a sigh.

"When... my powers first manifested, I couldnt control them... there was...an explosive awakening, and I killed my entire family. I mourn them to this day, and honor them with my elemental summons. Speaking of..."

Umbear opens a bag as an earth elemental with a striking resemblence to Qetesh crawls out, with emerald eyes it looks up.

"Queue, this is Qetesh. Me and her are going to be spending alot of time together, so if you ever see her in trouble, You are to help her, priority number one ok?"

"Alright... I will help the Qetesh. Qetesh, do you require help now?"

Umbear smiles and looks back to Qetesh.

"I havent killed anyone who was really a friend.... ive killed a few people who were trying to kill or rob me, but no actual friends. Fae?... Fae are a universal Constant.... you can depend on a Devil to obey a contract they sign, you can depend on a demon to sow Chaos. Fae have a set of rules and such to follow and Weither it will be my end.... I know I can depend on them to be Fae, no matter what. "

He looked to qetesh and smirked about the smaller commentary.

"Well when everyone is smaller than you, its hard not to. But I know its true... Smaller folk... wiether its gnomes, goblins, kobolds, or halflings, Big folk will try to take advantage of them and bully them... Ive seen too many small folk hurt out of.... malisciousness.... from big folk, that Its all rolled up into this knot of feelings that I have. "

Umbear raised an eye about the liar comment.

"Oh, yes I have told you exactly three lies so far" (1d20+8)[15] Bluff

His eyes soften.

"Unless I by chance have stolen your heart, my dear qetesh, My fingers are best put to other uses than being a cut purse. Honestly. right now, All I wanna do is make you happy. If that means buying you a tattoo, or just giving you a hundred grand to what you will with, thatll be what the night is."

Seeing the waiter coming back he draws qetesh's attention in that manner.

"What would you like to eat? Honestly, Id just like something simple. Meat, Cheese, Beer. Soothing and Calming Food. "
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Gorrun clears his throat and pipes up, So we know he's not unseelie, which is good, for what it's worth. We know that he's not inherently evil because he is able to traverse the castle, and we know he was able to befriend one of the most gullible of us. While none of that is incriminating, I would like to see him more thoroughly vetted before mentioning sensitive information in his presence. Just in case.
    To all things there is an end. With every end, a new beginning.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

Aurora shrugged. "I guess it's worth a try. What did you do with her, since you said you didn't bring her in the castle?"

Qetesh looked troubled by Umbear's description of fey folk. She smiled at Queue, amused, and shook her head. "I'm fine, thank you," she said with a chuckle. Expression serious again, she looked at her ogre companion.
    "Umbear, I think we have very different experiences with fey. The humanoid fey are just like any other humanoids... varying degrees of mercurial and flawed. You have several fey around you regularly, and they're all very different. I'm not sure you should make blanket statements about them like that. There are fey monsters just like any other kind of monsters."
    "And speaking of, yeah, 'monster' has a negative connotation. But have you ever thought about why? It's perspective. To the humans, a goblin raiding party and their village are monsters. A danger to them and their families and homes. A clear and present danger that could casually slaughter them like cattle. But what about to the goblins? To them, the humans and their village are the monsters. A danger to them and their families and homes. A clear and present danger that could casually slaughter them like cattle. They are equal to each other, but good luck getting either side to see that! Those of us who leave our tribal lives to come live in civilization bridge two worlds. We can see where our kin go wrong, but we also know what our kin is put through. Most of the time, we all make our own monsters..." she trailed off briefly, looking away, lost in thought for a moment.
    "As for Ra, well, don't blame him for the rumors. I didn't hear them from him. They came from clients and overheard street talk, mostly. And don't read too much into the smiles and laughter, please. I don't want you thinking I'm in love with Ra or something like that! He's an old and dear friend, like... like... ah, like another brother to me!" she said brightly. She chuckled and looked down at the menu.
    She peered over it and studied Umbear intently for a moment. Then glanced at Queue again with a raised eyebrow. She shook her head and chuckled and returned to the menu.
    "If you have a hundred thousand lying around, you're probably best served putting it towards paying off the contract," she said, grinning.
    "You're in the mood for simple fare but you come to a gourmet cafe?" she asked, giggling. "I would suggest you try the fish pie, then, if you like fish. If this siege continues too much longer, the fish will be one of the first things we run out of because the ones we can catch are cut off from the rest of the sea and we won't get more. And we had the misfortune of the barrier going up at low tide, so we had the least amount of fish possible within the border. If you want something a little fancier, it appears they make a lobster pâté served on fine grain toasted bread."
    The small blue woman looked up at him over her menu.
    "I tend to eat a lot of fruit and not much meat. Not because I'm trying to maintain my figure, but rather... meat has some... negative effects, and fruit the opposite, on certain... tastes?" she smirked and raised an eyebrow at Umbear.
    "But this place has a maple pork chop dish that seems to minimally impact things, so that's probably what I'll choose."
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Queue moves to stand beside Qetesh, much like a valet, waiting for a request. Umbear reguarded Qetesh with a thoughtful look.

"A Brownie... is always a brownie, they can adjust and tweak and alter... but they are always a brownie. Meeting ones who are tweaked and different is exhillarating... its like learning something new. I hate to say it... but I am an ogre... deep down... Im an ogre, no matter how different I make myself. I can resist.... I can struggle... but...."

He seems to have talked himself into a frown.

"You... me... We... we are children of Lamashtu. I will struggle against that.... with my final breath.... I will slay any priest, raze any temple, defenstrate any holy symbol. I spurn almost all the gods... They have no place in my life. I tried talking to loki, but I think thats the only time I gave a god an iota of time. Lamashtu... she is the birth of all monsters, and she is the reason we are hated, she gave monsters their nature. Shes the reason I crave... shes the reason I get angry so easily... I mean... look at us... we both grind mens bones to make our bread."

Umbear looked at qetesh as she talked about ra.

"I understand that relationship. I wanna ask about your twin that I sold a sword to, but he had some very.... serious words to say about you. "

Umbear considered Qetesh for a bit.

"Would that help you more? me giving it to ra to pay off my debt, rather than giving it directly to you?"

When she asked about the cafe and the food he chuckled.

"Im happy eating at dives and singing shanties with drunkards. I expected that I have a standard level of food that I am expected to provide for you, I wouldnt want to... fail to meet expectations. but a Fish Pie sounds nice."

Umbears ears perked and he smiled as she talked about eating fruits having a better effect for her. He orders the fish pie for himself and the pork dish for qetesh before returning to conversation.
    Festival of Heroes:

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

The courtesan giggled at the ogre's bone comment, and she tilted her head and looked thoughtful as Umbear spoke of his opinion of gods. But when Umbear mentioned her twin, Qetesh's pretty face paled to a powder-blue color, pointed ears dropping sharply. Her turquoise eyes couldn't meet Umbear's gaze.
    "I..." she swallowed hard, head lowering further, so her black bangs shielded the top of her face. "I suppose I should have asked you how much you know about me. You have already figured out something potentially very dangerous. Very few know about that connection," she said quietly.
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear face goes pale.

"Wait... what? I was just making a refrence that you are.of the same race.... but... wow... um... that was a unexpected thing I suppose. Do you want me to say what I know of you? Or would that be poor dinner conversation? "

He sighed and pulled out the note from Loki on weither he should persue a relationship with qetesh and sets it on the table.

"What would you like to do, I was enjoying the conversation and I would hate to ruin the evening."
    Festival of Heroes:

13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground

Qetesh smiled weakly. "Well, at least you listened when I said I'm not a goblin. Most don't. There are blue goblins, occasionally, which helps us pass. I really shouldn't tell people I'm not a goblin, since it could be dangerous if a goblin learned that fact." The small woman lifted her head.
    "You can say what you know of me if you like, so long as you don't say anything that could get us thrown in the dungeon," she said, making a weak attempt at a jest. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly, holding a hand over her chest.
    "I'm... sorry. It's not that easy to shake me anymore. I probably should have laughed it off, but you seemed so confident in your words. We've been compared to each other before by the unwitting, but you're the first in a long time to use 'twin' to do so and it threw me." She sounded more steady now, and the color returned to her cheeks.
    "You really should avoid him if you can. As strong as you are, I don't think you could protect yourself from him if you earned his wrath. He could sneak into your bedchamber and murder you in your sleep without you having any hint of his coming," she said quietly. "He doesn't like how I've chosen to make my way in the world, and blames my clients for my status," she explained.
    She chuckled wryly through her nose.
    "Well, you wanted to know more about me. It may not be much, but even so, there are only three others alive in this city who know more, not counting my brother."
    She glanced at the note, with its unintelligible symbols, and looked questioningly at Umbear.
    "What's that? Is that Celestial? I see similar markings on many of the temples in the area."
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"Well lets see what the demon has to say." Geiravor said. "Jaylyn-bō! Can you lead the way?"

She stood up and topped off her mug.
    Edge Grinder

The Bellows of War

The Lily Blooms

Festival of Heroes

15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear smiles sweetly to qetesh as a way to try and apologise further.

"I know you are indeed, not a goblin, but what exactly im not sure, Im sure If I wracked my mind I could find out, but I thought it rude to go digging too hard into your history without your... knowing. I dont have a job relying on knowing what you want and such, but I certainly have an amatuer interest. "

"Your twin weilds the Sword of Greed, and is level headed, and not someone who weilds words, he weilds death. He hates the situation you are in... but... theres something that keeps him from... interfering..."

Umbear stared at Qetesh, as if trying to look through her, trying to read words unwritten, hidden just below the surface.

"You have goals, lofty goals, out of reach of most, and youll do anything to get them, even if its hazardous or foolhardy. I know you owe alot of money, a ridiculous amount, with interest making it worse. You go out and work in the job that will make you the most money, but Its barely enough. You spot an ogre that throws away money like its nothing, You think he'd make a good mark, get enough out of him that you could put a good dent in your debt, maybe even enough to get you out of the hole and you can start chasing your dream. "

He pauses.

"When I got in his face earlier today, spoke frankly with him, no minced words, no subterfuge, he seemed to take it and respond in kind. As long as I have anything to do with you, he will do no buisness with me. Unfortunatly. a Certain Rat set me up for the hangmans loop in order to join his ranks. So I have buisness with him, and have a rat to skin. But honestly... my power gives me some protection against... goddesses of cats, and weilders of the sword of greed. Even while I sleep.... Its an odd pulsation of power that blocks a rogues blade from reaching the organs. "

Umbear looks up as he can smell food being cooked, his belly rumbles.

"You know Qetesh. Unless Im mistaken... upon marriage, a husband and wife share all worldly posessions. Wealth, Debt. Sorrow Shared is halfed, joy shared is doubled. "

He looked at the note again and chuckled.

"Thats advise from Loki; the Trickster says that if you're unhappy and she makes you happy then marry her. But if you think she is interested in you for more than your gold, you're a clotpole. Now, if all you want is a good time for the rest of your life, you've already got that."

His face goes red for a moment from blush.
    Festival of Heroes:

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

Qetesh listened as Umbear described his impression of her.
    "Hm, and what did you think of me before eavesdropping today? Was it very different?"
    She sighed and sat back, running a hand through her bangs at the mention of her brother again.
    "Umbear, my brother... he is... Well, I wouldn't necessarily use 'levelheaded' to describe him. It is more that he is... patient. You have heard the saying, 'revenge is a dish best served cold,' right? Well, to him, there is no such thing as too cold. He does not forgive, and he does not forget. Please don't go about your day thinking that he doesn't interfere in my life and business. Because he does. But because it would be dangerous for me if his enemies learned of our connection, he has to be very circumspect in how he takes interest in my life. That and our two Guilds have a truce, and he will not violate that agreement. But you're not protected by that agreement," she warned.
    When Umbear explained his little piece of paper, Qetesh leaned over the table and let her face land in her hand. She shook her head without lifting it for a moment, then wiped her hand down her face as she leaned back.
    "Really? You went to Loki, of all the gods, for advice? You realize, of course, that that bit of advice is the kind of ridiculous, common sense non-advice you get from a newspaper advice column, right? Of course if the person you're with makes you happy, you'd want to try and form a commitment."
    "And of course someone in my line of work is going to care more about the pockets than the person. The same is true for anyone providing any product or service! It's just that a big part of our job is making our clients feel special; cherished and adored... For some, they would rather have that than... other... services. You know, my clients are all rich and powerful and could convince most servants to lie with them freely if that was truly all they desired. But they come to me because I make them feel good, in multiple ways."
    "And of course, someone like me is perfect if all you're after is a good time; that's literally what is my job to provide!"
    "You didn't need a god to tell you these things. Anyone could have," Qetesh sighed, with another rueful shake of her head. "I think you were had. I hope you didn't have to pay for that divination."
    She was quiet for a moment, watching him, and smiled as she lowered her lashes.
    "You don't have to worry, Umbear, I will make sure you're happy, I promise. You don't have to do anything extra to try and 'earn' that. The contract we signed awards you almost all the benefits of marriage, without nearly as many drawbacks," she said sweetly.

A server brought them their meals and topped off their drinks and walked away with a bow.
    Last edited by Wolfykins; 2019-10-12 at 03:02 PM.
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

McLaughlin tilts his head towards Malaika in acknowledgment. "I look forward to samplin' all this world's finest beverages! Ya seem like the kind of person I'll have fun drinkin' with, lass," he says with a genuine smile.

After Geiravor rises, Aurix also does so. He puts his drink down to follow. The Paladin nods at Gorrun's assessment of McLaughlin, then sees Nameless in the room. As he moves to follow, he says to the young sovereign dragon, "Do you have a bit of time later, Nameless? There's an errand I was hoping you might run with me."
    Festival of Heroes: Aurix Kornari- 6' Human with golden scales on his skin, blond hair, green Draconic eyes, carrying a halberd, meets people with a warm smile.
    Spoiler: If you speak Draconic
    Show
    Aurix Kornari means "Gold Heart"

DM of Twinborn

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear looked at qetesh as she asked about his opinions.

"knowing you like blueberries over cherries doesnt change the fact that I wanna make you a pie. over hearing what you said just adjusts how I might help you. I may just be a mark qetesh, But I can be your mark. Can even mess with Ra, make a contract saying only you are allowed to exploit me, as you have all the exploitation rights."

He smiled at his jest. Taking the paper back he laughed.

"No no, I won alot at the festival carnival games and won nearly 2 dozen free divinations, I used a few. I wouldnt dare spend money on the opinion of a god. Yea I know its common sense advice, but sometimes having someone speak it clearly and straight forward is helpful for a meaty block head like me"

umbear looks down to his fish pie and smiles, he does his best to dig in with manners.

"You are a terrific dancer you know? "
    Festival of Heroes:

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

Qetesh chuckled at Umbear's suggestion for messing with Ra. "That would never work. The contract is mostly to protect us if the law gets involved. Very few in the Guild care about binding agreements. At least not in terms of their own upholdment. They'll hold their clients to them, but won't care about breaking it themselves. Even I don't really care about the terms all that much. 'Honor among thieves' is really more like 'respect born of fear of retribution.' That's why the Leader has to be such a powerful force in their own right," she explained as she cut her pork into small pieces.
    She flashed a pointy grin at his compliment.
    "Oh yes, I know," she said with charming, cheeky confidence. "I spent nearly a quarter of my life honing that skill."
    "Do you have any hobbies, Umbear? Any special skills like that you do for fun?"

Nameless tilted her head to one side.
    "I suppose, sure. Why not?"
    The dragon looked over at Jaylyn.
    "You know, you could always charge your mana crystal up ahead of time. Didn't Aurix say they have some overflow allowance?"

Malaika shrugged her lower set of shoulders so as not to disrupt her passenger too much.
    "Maybe. I don't drink a lot. It gets expensive to drink to drunkenness when you're as big, and sturdy, as I am. You're small, so you can make your coppers last. I have also found, through the pain of experience, that a knife-wielder who is drunker than they think they are, wielding a knife less skillfully than they think they do, whose pride tends to manifest as showboating when inebriated, can yield some unpleasant, scarring results," the shobhad woman remarked with a wry chuckle.
    "Let's just say, if drunk-you would think drunk-me throwing daggers at an apple sitting on your head sounds like a swell idea, you better be able to afford a regenerating spell or enjoy glass eyes," she said ruefully.
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"That is certainly amusing, Like demons using contracts. "

Umbear chuckles before looking to queue, With an off hand he summons a Small Positive Energy Elemental with the features of a kobold, and spins a finger.

"Queue, would you care to dance?"

The Earth elementals blank stare looked to umbear, then to the posing energy elemental.

"I am beginning to understand you more and more Umbear"

The Earth elemental taps into Umbears knowledge of dancing and takes the energy elementals hands and begins to do a small dance for umbear and qetesh. Umbears hand controlling the positive energy elemental.

"hobbies? I enjoy pranks, Gambling, fellowship, combat. I have some experiance with alchemy, enough so that I can eat certain poisons with no ill effect. I have a little experience with herbology, and I am a terrible keyboardist. I can dance a little bit, I can cook, I think you and I could go out into the woods.... find us someon....thing to eat, Ive a old family recipe "

Umbear sits back after a few bites and thinks.

"Combat... I love a good fight.... the struggle, the pounding of blood in your ears... Sweat glistening... Trickery and Tactics... Did you happen to see the fight this morning? Oh... I know the city is at stake... but damn that was a good fight."
    Festival of Heroes:

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

The blue goblinoid woman grinned wide, mischievous.
    "No, thanks," she said, "I think a young family would be much more flavorful and less tough than an old family!"
    Qetesh's brows lifted and pinched slightly in a faintly sheepish expression.
    "I'm not sure you can call fighting a hobby when that's more or less what you do for a living, but it's good that you at least enjoy your job."
    She watched the pair of elementals dance with a look of amusement, and leaned over to gently tug at arms and push at shoulders and backs to improve their form.
    "I'm sorry to say I did not watch the battle this morning. Last night was... late, and I tend not to rise early unless I need to be gone quickly. My hours are skewed a bit closer to the schedules of the nobility than the working class, as they tend to be my clients. Though I have to admit, the situation in the city has brought an end to the nobility's tendency to hold multiple soires nightly. To be honest, without your contract, if this siege continued for a while yet, I might have ended up in real trouble by the end of the year. The nobles' parties are my primary hunting grounds."

Umbear felt a faint scratching and a slight tug as something very small climbed his pants leg. Onto his knee hopped a diminutive little rodent. It was white with big black spots, and a little red bow around its neck. It dropped a piece of parchment on Umbear's knee and then scurried down his leg and disappeared under the table.
    Spoiler: Note
    Show
    Neither of them will tell you about the debt buyout option. Light a purple flamed candle in your castle room window tonight if you want answers. --B
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Umbear let out a belly rumbling laugh.

"Ill keep that in mind for a day out."

He smiles wide watching qetesh help out with the dancing.

"Oh it was exhilerating. There was orcus.... THE orcus, There was the Demon Prince of the Seas riding the Back of some Collosal Frog Demon, And then there was some Daemon... Goat head.... I think he was the leader behind the current wave. He certainly was strong enough to command Demon Princes and the God of undead. Oh man... You know how frogs cant tell subtle changes in temperature?"

umbear chuckled.

"Well, i made a elemental frying pan under him and cooked the collosal Demon Frog to death!"

Umbear glances at the note and slides it into his bag of holding.
    Festival of Heroes:

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, that all sounds pretty serious. I hope you don't take it too lightly," Qetesh said wryly. "It's probably best that I wasn't there. I don't think you need that kind of distraction when facing such important enemies. My training is most decidedly not combat training. I can defend myself reasonably well against most unruly clients, but that's about it. I don't think I would be much good against someone who actually really wanted to hurt me. You should worry about your allies in combat, not your mistress!"
    Qetesh finished her food and crossed her silverware over her plate.
    "So what do you have in mind next? Dessert, dessert, or heading to a tattoo shop?" she asked, winking on the second option.
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"I suspect I take things too lightly. Never enough... gravity."

As he says that, all the plates and dishes on the table lift up about 1 inch off the table, before dropping back down. Umbear chuckles.

"I think we can arrange you a lovely seat near the park, my own cheering section?"

He chuckles at his joke but nods in agreement it was too dangerous for her. While umbear was trained to fight orcus, she was not.

"I think well skip dessert tonight qetesh, I'm enjoying the conversation too much to spoil it. But the tattoo parlor sounds great, let go... I need to upgrade a tattoo to be able to bind myself to my ward. "

He stops for a moment

"I should probably tell you about cuddles/katalina"
    Festival of Heroes:

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

"Ward? Oh, you mean the kid you had following you at the funeral party last night? But what do you mean, 'bind yourself' to her? How does a tattoo even do that?" Qetesh asked, raising an eyebrow.
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Jaylyn led the heroic entourage through the castle and gates to go back outside towards where Jaylyn left her captive demon. However, as they approached they saw four guards having an easy time fighting a demon not putting up a fight. The four-armed demoness cackled wildly as the guards attacked.

The party rushed to stop the guards, but halfway there, the demoness disappeared in a pile of ash.

Spoiler: Jaylyn
    Show
    You feel the tether to the demoness snap.

When they arrived, Tall Said and Short Said looked proud of themselves, standing with the other guards. Upon noticing the Princess and General, they all stood at attention.

"Your Majesty, General... Champion, Lady Jaylyn, Lady Aurora, others... How do you do? We just spied this demon standing about so we defeated soundly." Tall Said said.

The Princess laughed.
    Last edited by EdgeGrinder; 2019-10-12 at 07:43 PM.
    Edge Grinder

The Bellows of War

The Lily Blooms

Festival of Heroes

27. - Top - End - #327
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jaylyn rushed to stop the guards, but too late. As she saw them demoness dust away and the tether snap she just sighed. 'I didn't quite think that though... Oh well waste of a high level spell.' she thought, looking over at Aurix. "Okay plan B, get the demoness Aurix captured and hopefully I can dominate THAT one into telling us what we wanna know." Jaylyn said with a hint of frustration in her voice.
    Festival of Heroes: Jaylyn a 5 foot Kitsune with golden brown fur, black ears, and golden eyes. She's an average build leaning on the smaller size. When in human form her hair is golden blonde, but retains her golden eyes. her build is still average but a bit bigger then in Kitsune form.

No matter which from she is in, she always seen in her white halter-top dress, carrying a 5 foot staff with a sapphire on top, and a jeweled necklace around her neck.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

Aurora sighed and put her face in her hand and shook her head.

Nameless looked surprised and also sighed. "Huh. I guess one of us should've mentioned this to that guard that stopped you to let you know the Princess was looking for you," she mused.

Cuddles rounded the corner and sprinted across the bailey with an entire pig, squealing bloody murder, in her mouth.
    A couple seconds letter, the castle cook's husband came barreling after her, red-faced and puffing, cleaver in hand.
    "GET BACK HERE WITH THAT YOU WORTHLESS PILE OF FUR AND LEATHER!"
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

The Princess dropped her beer and pointed at Cuddles laughing even louder. "This menagerie is getting out of hand." She laughed, petting her cockatrice.
    Edge Grinder

The Bellows of War

The Lily Blooms

Festival of Heroes

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Shes actually a war cat that is touched by the fae, she can assume an orc form, and is a competent fighter in either form. The tattoo will allow me to take her as an animal companion."

He pays the waiter, and collects up queue and dismisses the positive elemental. He scoops up qetesh and heads toward the tattoo parlor
    Festival of Heroes: