New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power V: Probably Not an Octopus

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    ... I bet she's going to heal VERY quickly from he injuries.
    And the healing factor is exactly the bad power I was refering to.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

2. - Top - End - #512

Your combat scene will now be interrupted for a comedy sketch. At least the author commentary is informative and useful.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Your combat scene will now be interrupted for a comedy sketch. At least the author commentary is informative and useful.
    I'm just gonna pretend they're all too drunk to lie on the ground...
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

4. - Top - End - #514

Krona continues to be both awesome and very scary.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Krona continues to be both awesome and very scary.
    Finally some competence.
    This was getting embarrassing.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Finally some competence.
    This was getting embarrassing.
    Only slight incomitance from Sydney. This opponent is VERY fast, relatively powerful, skilled and well equipped. Dealing with someone much faster than you are is a major problem no matter how strong or skilled you are.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

If you can't see any threads outside your subscriptions that have updates, that's because the forum doesn't display threads for you that haven't gotten activity in...however long you set it for. The forum default is something like 50 days, or so, but you can set it anywhere from "1 day" to "forever". I have it set to "forever" cuz I like trawling through the archives several hundred pages back to find stuff I replied to way back when.

At least temporarily, I'd probably recommend to most people that they go into their settings and change that paticular setting to something a bit higher than the forum default. Path is "Settings-->General Settings-->Default Thread Age Cut Off".

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #518

And we're done with Attack of the Cameos and get our obligatory "Here's where I recap plot that happened off screen while antics were going on" comic. This one is done well, and I'm now wondering what exactly Anvil's top is made of.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Somehow I'm not comfortable with Sydney having a HUD in her glasses.
    She's dangerous enough without videogame vision.

More importantly, no cheating during training.
    That only hurts in the long run.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Somehow I'm not comfortable with Sydney having a HUD in her glasses.
    She's dangerous enough without videogame vision.

More importantly, no cheating during training.
    That only hurts in the long run.
    On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, its not like she can shoot without them anyway. Theyre her glasses, she needs them to see in the first place.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, its not like she can shoot without them anyway. Theyre her glasses, she needs them to see in the first place.
    I'm sure ARCHON can afford to buy her a new pair.

I'm sure ARCHON can afford to buy her several thousand new pairs.

Also, prescription safety goggles are a thing.

Really, she should be training with her regular prescription. The HUD is nice, but relying on it as a novice is a good way to learn bad shooting habits and injure yourself.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2020-02-27 at 10:40 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

12. - Top - End - #522

I'm not comfortable with Sydney having a firearm period, regardless of the quality of her training. We would need to see her meds being a lot more effective before a basic safety threshold can be reached.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Considering that she can wipe a city block in a few moment with with the PPO, a gun is not even a minor concern.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

14. - Top - End - #524

I'm not comfortable with her having the orbs either. I've known a few people with ADHD on the level of Sydney's and they are a standing menace when (un/under/over)medicated and it's a constant struggle to keep the dosages right. Trust me when I say you don't want to see the results when somebody decides to stick a steak knife in an outlet and lick it because it suddenly occurs to them to wonder what electricity tastes like.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Considering that she can wipe a city block in a few moment with with the PPO, a gun is not even a minor concern.
    That depends on how the orbs are. What's the built-in safety features on the PPO?
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    That depends on how the orbs are. What's the built-in safety features on the PPO?
    You need to hold it to fire it?

Also, I think there were specific buttons/panels/glowy bits that need to be touched.
    Not sure if that was just trigger and mode select
    or if there's a actual safety though.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2020-02-27 at 05:39 PM.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

You need to hold it to fire it?

Also, I think there were specific buttons/panels/glowy bits that need to be touched.
    Not sure if that was just trigger and mode select or if there's a actual safety though.
    Well, the first obviously wouldn't be much of a safety if Sydney got silly...

But we're talking Nth tech here. Are the orbs designed so that if their user is in a particular state of mind, that they not work to keep them from hurting themselves?

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

If anything gun training becomes more important at that point because by taking something she strongly identifies with as dangerous in a very inbuilt and visceral way, and using it to drill safety measures in, she becomes safer to have around dangerous things in general.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2020-02-27 at 07:33 PM.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Colossus in the Playground

Now, I honestly wonder, is having a hud to help her aim really going to develop bad habits? Its not an aimbot hack sending the bullet automatically into the bullseye no matter what she does, its nothing more than a sight like guns already have, just more advanced. If anything they will help her dial in her ability to aim quickly easier as she can see the bullet trajectory and with repetition, automatically know where to aim to hit what she is after. This just removes a lot of the trial and error from it as she dials it in the hard way.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #530
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    its nothing more than a sight like guns already have, just more advanced.
    Call me old fashioned, but I'm of the opinion that you start out bare - iron sights and nothing else. That way, if you're in a situation where you don't have those tools, you have something ingrained in your memory to fall back on.

This is more like a laser sight than iron sights; your focus is on the dot on the target, not the sight down the barrel.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but I'm of the opinion that you start out bare - iron sights and nothing else. That way, if you're in a situation where you don't have those tools, you have something ingrained in your memory to fall back on.

This is more like a laser sight than iron sights; your focus is on the dot on the target, not the sight down the barrel.
    Sydney shouldn't be shooting if she isn't wearing glasses anyway. She kind of needs them to see.

Come to think of it, don't most law enforcement organizations and/or military groups require a certain minimum standard of vision to join? Glasses are fragile even when you aren't actively being attacked.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Come to think of it, don't most law enforcement organizations and/or military groups require a certain minimum standard of vision to join? Glasses are fragile even when you aren't actively being attacked.
    The RAF did that with colour vision in WW2. Now there's a lot of colourblindness in graduates.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Sydney shouldn't be shooting if she isn't wearing glasses anyway. She kind of needs them to see.
    But not necessarily those particular glasses. Glasses fall off in emergency situation, grab spare pair from pocket. No more target reticle or ammo counter.

Also, her eyesight isn't so bad she can't see something close; it varies in detail, yes, but you can at least see a shape and aim center mass.

Depends on the position. Law Enforcement varies, but glasses aren't necessarily a hindrance.

As with military. They just can't train with contacts...

24. - Top - End - #534

Although Archon should be trying to talk Sydney into contacts anyway. Or probably would if it hadn't been less than two weeks since she joined.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Although Archon should be trying to talk Sydney into contacts anyway. Or probably would if it hadn't been less than two weeks since she joined.
    I don't think Sydney and contacts would get along.
    Actually I'm amazed she manages to wear glasses without stabbing her eyes out.

And that's before taking her preferences in food into account.
    Chili-fingers and eyes don't get along
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2020-02-28 at 02:25 PM.

26. - Top - End - #536

Thanks for reminding me of the noodle incident. *snerk*

27. - Top - End - #537
    Colossus in the Playground

Honestly, sydney and guns is an odd mix here for a number of reasons. Primarily, unlike every other super there, in order to use one, she has to give up using at least one orb as she needs her hands free to use either her orb or her gun. She becomes a regular nonpowered cop at that point. It just feels more like its tradition to learn how to use guns in both military and police, so you will learn to use a gun. Its only value to her will be as the threat prop as maxima displayed at her first time on the range. While a glowing orb is super threatening to those of us who know what they can do, a pointed gun is a more galactic threat that triggers (hur hur) an instinctive response.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Honestly, sydney and guns is an odd mix here for a number of reasons. Primarily, unlike every other super there, in order to use one, she has to give up using at least one orb as she needs her hands free to use either her orb or her gun. She becomes a regular nonpowered cop at that point. It just feels more like its tradition to learn how to use guns in both military and police, so you will learn to use a gun. Its only value to her will be as the threat prop as maxima displayed at her first time on the range. While a glowing orb is super threatening to those of us who know what they can do, a pointed gun is a more galactic threat that triggers (hur hur) an instinctive response.
    Additionally, in any actually dangerous situation Sydney's going to have her shield up, and I don't think she can shoot out of it - the PPO blasts are generated outside of the shield.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Didn't that one come up when the training started?
    The guns are for intimidation/ de-escalation.

Basically, Maxima pointing her finger (or Sydney her marbles) at someone doesn't register as a threat like a gun would, so they're more likely to do something stupid.

Plus, they're less dangerous than powers.
    Always important you can escalate.

30. - Top - End - #540

There's also the issue that there are any number of situations where orbs are not a good choice for Sydney. No reason for flight indoors, PPO is out in a large number of situations, green and orange seem to have no real uses other than breathing, shield can be an issue in cluttered terrain (or again, indoors), comm orb is more a recon tool. That leaves the lighthook.

Also, a gun is less devastating than what Sydney can do with her orbs, and that's shooting jacketed rounds. What if they develop something akin to the ICERs from Agents of SHIELD?