New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power V: Probably Not an Octopus

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    It's a joke. I agree. But a stupid one.
    Hi, welcome to Grrl Power, you must be new here. Stupid jokes are kind of the bread and butter in this comic. There are tons of them sprinkled all over the place.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #32

Pretty much every joke is stupid. We don't laugh because of the smartness.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Well this is three pageant of needless exposition about the nature of parallel evolution across blah blah blah blah Charlie Brown Noises.
    Agreed. This press conference is really dragging on. This whole thing could be summed up in a single comic, but it just keeps going and going.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Agreed. This press conference is really dragging on. This whole thing could be summed up in a single comic, but it just keeps going and going.
    Hey, that's what I said!

Just have a panel where Ariara returns from conference mentally frayed. Have her drink a few shots, explain that conference was PR nightmare instead of subjecting us to Baby's First Evolution Book.

5. - Top - End - #35

Pacing really is something Dave struggles with.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Pacing really is something Dave struggles with.
    Agreed, sometimes it flies, other times it crawls. I think the real issue is in the exposition. When he wants to tell us a story about his world, he gets really into it and wants to share it all with us. Take Deus and his interview. Thats was a very VERY long winded way to establish for us that he is not only a super rich dude, but also has his own squad of supers, and de facto rulership of an african nation. This was all stuff we needed to know, yes, but he took a very long time to cover it all. His interview and related comics were a full month long. Same of course for telling us sydney about the twilight council. Only in that case it made even less sense to do it in comic as we all discussed back when it happened how silly it was that she was getting all this exposition when "The supernatural is real, dont tell anyone" would have been enough for her.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #37

I have a hunch that "Don't tell anyone" is the end of a lot of conversations where Sydney's involved (whether as a subject or as the subject).

8. - Top - End - #38

I have a hunch that "Don't tell anyone" is the end of a lot of conversations where Sydney's involved (whether as a subject or as the subject).
    Well yeah, the problem is how much she gets told in the first place. She really doesnt need to know this stuff in detail, just that she isnt crazy and she isnt allowed to talk about it. I feel like maxima only irregularly remembers sydney is a trainee, not a full member of arcswat yet. The excuse of her coming along of wanting to see how effective her transport abilities are was weak as they easily could have done that during daily training, it felt more like a reward for sydney to take her along to the council meeting. And she promptly displayed why she isnt ready to be brought along on such things yet.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

I think part of why Sydney gets let in on things, etc, is because of her truesight... better to get her reactions out of the way in controlled situations and get her over them.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

10. - Top - End - #40

I think it's more Dave is reluctant to not use his primary POV character, even when it would make much more sense to use someone else. This is also probably why pretty much none of the guys have gotten development. They aren't on screen, because the airtime is dedicated to the Sydney Show (every episode guaranteed to be at least 85% like all the others).

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I think part of why Sydney gets let in on things, etc, is because of her truesight... better to get her reactions out of the way in controlled situations and get her over them.
    Thats why i said it would have been more reasonable to go "Yes, those groups are real, dont tell anyone about it." Then maybe give her some material to read on the matter in private so she at least can be fully aware that all the mythological beings are real. NOT take the untrained hyper trainee to a high level council meeting where maxima should have known she would freak out in.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's more Dave is reluctant to not use his primary POV character, even when it would make much more sense to use someone else. This is also probably why pretty much none of the guys have gotten development. They aren't on screen, because the airtime is dedicated to the Sydney Show (every episode guaranteed to be at least 85% like all the others).
    It would. I do also think the comic would work much better with more POV main characters.
    Personally i would like more with Math (and know not everyone agrees), but unfortunately we are stuck with Sydney all the time.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

13. - Top - End - #43

14. - Top - End - #44

Ugh, not sure I like the way this is shaping up. Are we really about to go full sci fi? Like, I didnt have a problem as such with cora and crew making their appearance then moving on, but if this turns into warhammer on us I will feel kinda annoyed as I was hoping for primarily "super" fights. I was fine with the supernatural being included, and found it interesting that its made fairly clear that community cant really punch on the super level in general, though it does have its advantages but this is a bit much.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Ugh, not sure I like the way this is shaping up. Are we really about to go full sci fi? Like, I didnt have a problem as such with cora and crew making their appearance then moving on, but if this turns into warhammer on us I will feel kinda annoyed as I was hoping for primarily "super" fights. I was fine with the supernatural being included, and found it interesting that its made fairly clear that community cant really punch on the super level in general, though it does have its advantages but this is a bit much.
    Just about every good kitchen skink super hero story needs at least one good alien invasion to fight off. I think this will just be a quick stop in for the sake of stirring the pot in plot and hopefully just sets up something for later.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That myconoid looking person has very attractive... sporebags.

At least that's what I assume what those are.

Well, it could be the equivalent to a fat reserve, or mimicry/bait.
    I guess unless they get a bigger role we'll never know.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2019-08-12 at 01:22 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Just about every good kitchen skink super hero story needs at least one good alien invasion to fight off. I think this will just be a quick stop in for the sake of stirring the pot in plot and hopefully just sets up something for later.
    It's more of we've been dealing with nothing but aliens for a while now. I'd rather they let these pieces move in the background for a while, while we deal with another threat, before doing an alien invasion.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    It's more of we've been dealing with nothing but aliens for a while now. I'd rather they let these pieces move in the background for a while, while we deal with another threat, before doing an alien invasion.
    Especially since there were, what... four, five other major super-esque threats teased during the Vehemence preview way back from the first conference?

19. - Top - End - #49

Seven total, if you include Deus. Three of which have popped up.

Have we changed volumes without an announcement? It seems we've taken a hard swerve from modern fantasy to sci-fi.

20. - Top - End - #50

Well, here we go. Time for a space battle. Will sydney and maxima take part? Will we get a boarding action going on? Will there be blood for the blood god and skulls for the skull throne?

21. - Top - End - #51

Unsecured communications strike again.

22. - Top - End - #52

Unsecured communications strike again.
    Im not sure what you mean. Im pretty sure that was basically a sensor going "WE GOT INCOMING!!!!" That being said, im putting my 50 imaginary bucks on "While traveling through this aetherium causeway, bad guys detected sydneys orbs somehow" Its the only reasonable excuse for them to show up here, now, and all that blather.

23. - Top - End - #53

You missed the panels where the Alari are talking about trying to call everyone they know, didn't you? This is a straight up Huff Duff intercept.

24. - Top - End - #54

You missed the panels where the Alari are talking about trying to call everyone they know, didn't you? This is a straight up Huff Duff intercept.
    Hmm thats possible I suppose, but it seems a little odd for these mystery fel beings to care about the alari refugees. And doubly so that coras crew wouldnt have thought of that. Unless its a total left field "Oh crud you mean they work for THANOS?!" style reveal where we learn about a connection nobody suspected before now.

25. - Top - End - #55

I suspect these "Fel" are the people who trashed Alar Prime trying to xenocide the Alari.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Im not sure what you mean. Im pretty sure that was basically a sensor going "WE GOT INCOMING!!!!" That being said, im putting my 50 imaginary bucks on "While traveling through this aetherium causeway, bad guys detected sydneys orbs somehow" Its the only reasonable excuse for them to show up here, now, and all that blather.
    Really doubt it. I suspect that the refuges on the ship caught someone attention or the big ship over Africa did in some way. No one has figured out any way to detect Sydney's orbs what we know of other than physically seeing them. Besides the incoming Fel ships doesn't like look the World Wrecker's ship that I can tell.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm pretty sure the Fel are not there for the Alari.
    No, that seems to be Cora's trouble.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2019-08-15 at 03:46 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

28. - Top - End - #58

That was half a year ago already? Again, PACING!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hmm thats possible I suppose, but it seems a little odd for these mystery fel beings to care about the alari refugees. And doubly so that coras crew wouldnt have thought of that. Unless its a total left field "Oh crud you mean they work for THANOS?!" style reveal where we learn about a connection nobody suspected before now.
    The Fel don't care for Alari refugees as such.
    They care about Cora, who had an encounter with them, and consequently made an appearance on the Fracture. And presumably left by trackable means, leaving a trace back to Earth. Or was at the very least seen very prominently with an Earthling, and then very dramatically picked up Alari refugees before leaving. So there's a number of ways to track her down, even before an Alari child mentioning the "Fel Artifact of Unspeakable Cuddles" on open frequencies becomes a factor.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Maxima’s comment reminds me of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries rule 3. An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.