New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841

Default Re: Grrl Power V: Probably Not an Octopus

Because Dave is in love with his OP-Sues, and Deus is the male side of the team.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    Why is any of this interesting?
    Because its a setup into what deus might be really doing. He is coming out of the shadows a bit more. Acting more openly, though still with "plausible" deniability. Transition arcs are always obnoxious to read through with 2 updates a week as they take so long to get to the point, but afterwards they tend to lead to somewhere interesting, (if the comic itself is good) But yeah, the point of this is Deus is acting more openly how he really is and starting to get on the radar of the world (and archon) in a not so positive way. He isnt an open bad guy yet, but its getting there.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah as such it is really important. Deus is doing stuff here that will create waves in the rest of the world.
    His pet nation is poised to suddenly make a huge leap in importance. That is bound to make political turmoil.
    The same is his use of supers to expand. It creates precedence for others to use the same excuse he does.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

4. - Top - End - #844
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    Why is any of this interesting?
    Because it's a chance to get a look into how Dues does his business when dealing with the heroic side of the law, check out exactly what his "we are not dating" chemistry with Max actually looks like, see how his new Alari secretary is fitting in with human society and thus get a look into what a more typical Alari might look like outside of the one we met who was a big blood mage super villain and another who was just a helpless refugee, a chance to get in a couple chuckle worthy punch lines. There are plenty of reasons.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

5. - Top - End - #845

And Deus is once again leaving a slime trail on the screen. Really, can we just have him ionized?

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm enjoying the banter between Max and Deus, and I think this is interesting set-up for future scenes. I also get the feeling he can't really create supers, and such is a red herring he's throwing out there, but could be wrong. It's a bit narratively unsatisfying if it's a red herring, but makes sense from what we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Yeah, sure, and the local leaders are also "inviting" Galtyn to seize nearby cities. /s
    I didn't see much discussion on this (currently 1 page back), but I felt like chiming in.
    This seems like something very believable. The national government surely isn't wanting its territory annexed, but I could see individual cities -- where the mayor/governor/what-have-you is more likely to care about the citizens or at least his own comfort -- seeing the benefit of joining Deus' nation and wanting in. If he cooperates, he'd likely still stay in charge and get all the boons. Sure, there'd be less corruption (as we saw via the killing-the-kill scene) in a sense, but he'd get to be leader of an actually legit and sound city.

On the other hand, I'm sure Deus would use unsavory methods to persuade leaders to invite him. But I see the invitation idea as one of the few things he says openly that sound about right at face value.

7. - Top - End - #847

There are a few options at least for the supers thing.

1) He is using alien tech to do it
    2) Its a bluff to explain why he has so many supers in his forces
    3) It could be a combination, in that he has the ability to grant super powers of various sorts through tech, but he generally recruits the supers from other nations to join him. If he is even found out he can go "Weeeelll, I didnt explicitly STATE that the reason we have so many supers is I know how to make them, I just let you jump to your own conclusions even though the actual answer is, as ruler I granted all these outsider supers citizenship which makes them fully allowed to work in my military"

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    And Deus is once again leaving a slime trail on the screen. Really, can we just have him ionized?
    It's making him a good villain. I got a feeling he'll be the end boss villain, so it'll take a very long time before we get to him, but I do think we'll eventually see him face off against Archon.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    There are a few options at least for the supers thing.

1) He is using alien tech to do it
    2) Its a bluff to explain why he has so many supers in his forces
    3) It could be a combination, in that he has the ability to grant super powers of various sorts through tech, but he generally recruits the supers from other nations to join him. If he is even found out he can go "Weeeelll, I didnt explicitly STATE that the reason we have so many supers is I know how to make them, I just let you jump to your own conclusions even though the actual answer is, as ruler I granted all these outsider supers citizenship which makes them fully allowed to work in my military"
    I think it's mostly 1 and 3. He actively recruits supers from around the world, but also will arm people with stuff like alien cloaking devices and claim they just have invisibility powers. Or recruits mythical monsters and then just pretends they are supers. Like that mercenary lady we saw in the Council arc.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

On the other hand, I'm sure Deus would use unsavory methods to persuade leaders to invite him. But I see the invitation idea as one of the few things he says openly that sound about right at face value.
    Yeah it seems pretty likely all Deus has to do is point out quality of life is at least a tier higher in Galtyn.

I think it's mostly 1 and 3. He actively recruits supers from around the world, but also will arm people with stuff like alien cloaking devices and claim they just have invisibility powers. Or recruits mythical monsters and then just pretends they are supers. Like that mercenary lady we saw in the Council arc.
    I think he just recruit them from nations around him. We directly saw he picked up a sword for heavenly sword. And she is certainly not a native.
    But i dont think he is doing the technology thing. Thats a high risk move for low reward. Exposing that degree of alien technology would paint a bullseye on his country.
    Nations have gone to war for less valuable stuff.

The magical beings i think he only hires for black op missions.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Titan in the Playground

"But the people there wanted us to invade!" has been in the conquerer's phrasebook forever, it's just a fig leaf.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

"But the people there wanted us to invade!" has been in the conquerer's phrasebook forever, it's just a fig leaf.
    Oh yeah, because the people invaded absolutely does not want the food, sanitation, medicine, education or employment that Galtryn has.

Whats in the conquerers phrasebook has absolutely zilch relevance.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Troll in the Playground

Eh, context matters a lot. It’s just as likely to be a paper thin excuse to conquer and control as it is to be an honest truth, and looking at the state of things in Gatlyn it could easily be both.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

Well yes sure.
    It can absolutely both be the litteral truth. And something Deus says to mess the Max's concience.
    To make her more receptive to the whole idea of turning a blind eye.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Titan in the Playground

In the end i think the conclusion we are meant to draw is, that Deus is indeed a very good manipulator.
    And the Alari is hilariously bad at subtle stuff.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Troll in the Playground

Yea, gotta love when your minion goes on a loud hammy rant about how subtle and manipulative you are. This might be the funniest one Dave has put out in ages.

16. - Top - End - #856

To me whats amusing is, im reading the Overlord light novels and a running theme in them is his minions are utterly obsessed with him, and so loyal they are certain that everything he does is all according to a grand plan with dozens of steps they cant even comprehend, meanwhile he is having a panic attack because there is no plan, he has no idea whats going on, and he just wants to get out of this mess without being exposed as an idiot. That rant could have been lifted directly from the light novels, all it was missing was a mental face palm from deus at the over the top praising of his genius and anxiety attack over trying to bluff his way past this moment. I know that this overlord probably is in fact that clever at manipulation, its just entertaining as heck to see it from that angle.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, of course Lorlara admires how subtle and manipulative Deus is.
    If what we've seen so far is indicative of Alari in general a Saturday Morning Cartoon villain is more subtle than them.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

18. - Top - End - #858

Lorlara remains the best thing about Team Deus.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

Its almost alarming how well this single comic sells the idea that Deus is the good guy in this story, and Max is the bad.

20. - Top - End - #860

The moral relativist argument. Or, "Im not the bad guy, im working to make things better. Oh sure there will be chaos carnage pain and suffering, but in the end, everything will be better. Im the hero here." I could almost believe him if we didnt get so many comics of him laughing maniacally as his plans come together. Oh im sure the places he rules will, in general, be better off, but when on a scale of 1-10 they start at a 2, its not hard to make meaningful improvements in short order.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Its almost alarming how well this single comic sells the idea that Deus is the good guy in this story, and Max is the bad.
    Or at least, that's that Deus is trying to sell.

Meanwhile, Max isn't the one ordering the conquest of territory non-belligerent, non-repugnant neighboring states.

(Barring in-comic statements to the contrary, and based on the indicator of where the Alari ship is as seen from Cora's ship, the countries between Galtyn and the ocean aren't poverty-stricken hellholes or international bad actors.)
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Titan in the Playground

I could almost believe him if we didnt get so many comics of him laughing maniacally as his plans come together.
    Well.. while its a little.. unnerving? then im not certain laughting maniacally is something that directly should be held against him.

Oh im sure the places he rules will, in general, be better off, but when on a scale of 1-10 they start at a 2, its not hard to make meaningful improvements in short order.
    Well. Still hard enough that noone else seems to have bothered trying to make meaningful improvements.
    I honestly dont think there are anywhere in afrika i would not judge to be better off under Deus.

Well.. as such that does apply to around 95% of the world. Just for a start, anywhere he is in charge will likely have a lot less issues with corruption or lobbying.

Or at least, that's that Deus is trying to sell.

Meanwhile, Max isn't the one ordering the conquest of territory non-belligerent, non-repugnant neighboring states.
    Yes. And i think he does a good job selling it.
    Ultimately. That does of course depend on if you think the status quo is positive or not.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

More like: Deus is the better option in comparison to the status quo in the places he's taking over.

Max isn't being sold as the 'bad guy' in the story - just that the entire system she's working for has the status quo as its basis for being. Even if that means accepting Galtyn's previous ruler's despotism...
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

24. - Top - End - #864

In all reality, unless deus tries to conquer america, max really has no bearing on this whole issue other than personal. She cant be an active duty military officer fighting in a war, at least, not unless it comes to the states most likely. Until that happens, she is just another person writing letters to the editor on if she supports deus and his goals or not. His goal may be more to get her to be a spokesman for him rather than an antagonist, or at least neutral on the idea. Its not even certain how valuable her outlook even is. I mean, she is a lt cdr, and not really a part of any of the high ranking decision makers in the military, nor is she likely to have great influence or even be asked her opinion. The general in charge of archon might be included if only because he is running americas super squad so his input could be valuable, but yeah. Other option is he is trying to give her the soft sell to join him. Getting one of the top 5 ranked supers to back him up would be a huge deal. Its a long shot but he doesnt have much to lose by trying.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

Max isn't being sold as the 'bad guy' in the story - just that the entire system she's working for has the status quo as its basis for being. Even if that means accepting Galtyn's previous ruler's despotism...
    Bad guy should be taken in a slightly loser sense here.

More like: Deus is the better option in comparison to the status quo in the places he's taking over.
    And my argument is also, that Deus is the better option in comparison to the status quo in for example america.

I certainly havent seen anything that disqualify him as president in my eyes.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Titan in the Playground

Are we sure he's at least thirty-five years old?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

Bad guy should be taken in a slightly loser sense here.

And my argument is also, that Deus is the better option in comparison to the status quo in for example america.

There's a lot of pluses to conquering the world. No more wars for example.

But there is a lot of downsides too.

Also, while Deus looks like he wouldn't be that awful as a tyrant, he's still pretty scummy as a person. If the whole scene if Sciona didn't invalidate him for president in your books, then I feel you need higher standards in who you'd elect as a leader.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ogre in the Playground

Max sold the idea of her being the villain herself a long time ago.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ogre in the Playground

How about the part where he's totally OK with murdering people to get his way? And no, the fact that King Indinge was a bad man doesn't make it OK to kill him.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

Given how much time hasn't passed in the GRRL-verse since the comic started, consider who is likely POTUS in the comic's present day {scrubbed}.

And that's about all I can say about that.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-06-08 at 06:36 PM.