New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power V: Probably Not an Octopus

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Then why does she keep on winning?
    Combination of luck and somehow managing not to give away her hands until she actually has them? If she's able to control herself until after the last opportunity to drop/replace cards then other players that were betting on their existing hands/chance of improving their hands would already be committed to the pot at the point where Sydney keeps Heart of the Cards-ing into winning hands.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Combination of luck and somehow managing not to give away her hands until she actually has them? If she's able to control herself until after the last opportunity to drop/replace cards then other players that were betting on their existing hands/chance of improving their hands would already be committed to the pot at the point where Sydney keeps Heart of the Cards-ing into winning hands.
    Heck, even if she cant, if her tells dont actually match up to her hand through sheer accident, then it still comes down pretty much exclusively to luck, or possibly her opponents cleverly out-playing themselves.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #963
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Yeah i call bs on that.
    Firstly the only protagonists are we really have are female.
    Secondly i dont think lingerie makes anyone more or less of a protagonist.
    And third its not as if there wasnt naked guys present as well.
    Yea, as someone interested in such things I can confirm the beefcake in this comic or top notch.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Panel 8 shows that Sydney bluffed them, but good. She knows how to play and is using her habit of being demonstrative to her advantage. Sometimes you don't play the game, you play the people playing the game.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

5. - Top - End - #965
    Titan in the Playground

Yea, as someone interested in such things I can confirm the beefcake in this comic or top notch.
    Thumbs up, im glad to hear there are something for everyone

Panel 8 shows that Sydney bluffed them, but good. She knows how to play and is using her habit of being demonstrative to her advantage. Sometimes you don't play the game, you play the people playing the game.
    Sydney is actually bad at poker according to WOG.

Sydney is actually quite bad at poker. I know, you’re all shocked. As pictured here, her only shot at winning is this slow attrition, because she’s all tell. If she’s not leaping into the air, she’s giggling maniacally, wailing dramatically, or giving someone a death stare while drawing her finger across her throat.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #966

Jazza is having way too much fun on the wall, and should maybe consider moving to the advanced side.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Titan in the Playground

Jabber is absolutely having fun on that wall.
    Perhaps she is looking out for Sydney.
    Though at the same time. I repeat this is a waste of Sydney's time.
    When she could be training with the orbs.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I mean, it could be training for missions where she can't use her orbs.
    Because... it's cold and she's wearing mittens.
    Or she has to keep them inside the tube because they're shiny and she on a stealth mission.
    Which would be a failure of epic proportions from whoever send her there, but she needs to prepare anyway.

Or it's part of the standard training everyone goes through.
    All flyers have to climb without using their powers.
    Or something stupid like that.
    Maybe the exercise is getting up the wall without tools and since they aren't technically part of her Sydney's balls count.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

9. - Top - End - #969
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Training to what end? The orbs, so far as we know, are already just point and click. Easily the biggest vulnerability to Halo right now is Sydney.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #970
    Troll in the Playground

So, PT is as much mental as it is physical, and frankly The Mighty Halo may be able to do a lot of things but she still absolutely needs to be in physical shape. Period. I don’t care what powers she has.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Training to what end? The orbs, so far as we know, are already just point and click. Easily the biggest vulnerability to Halo right now is Sydney.
    To level them up and figure out how to level them up.

Though I agree that PT is important, just so Sydney is actually in shape. She's not much good if an opponent can just grab her wrists to disable her, or if running up a flight of stairs gets her winded.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

12. - Top - End - #972

Or somebody waves something shiny and she gets distracted. I would not be surprised to hear that part of what's going on behind the scenes is Arc-Med fine-tuning her scrip.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Colossus in the Playground

Above all else she needs physical training. She cant always be magneto flying around inside her force field bubble. And unlike the rest of arcswat she doesnt even have the standard peak physical condition super body, so she has a lot further to go to be acceptable. This is working out her endurance, upper body strength, forward thinking, assuming you need to figure out the right path to reach the top (may be advanced course) and it may be a useful skill to have. As has been stated, there are a number of reasons why she might have to physically climb something so its best to teach her here.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #974

Additionally (a point I just realized), we have no idea how her physical condition interacts with the Spectrum Spheres. Her getting in shape may help open up something else (like that last orb).

15. - Top - End - #975
    Titan in the Playground

Sydney is in the military. She needs to do PT to learn discipline and to accept orders. Yes, getting her in shape is important too, but that's the primary reason the military forces recruits to do stuff like this.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

16. - Top - End - #976
    Titan in the Playground

Training to what end? The orbs, so far as we know, are already just point and click.
    You mean like a gun? something regular soldiers spend quite a bit of time training to use?

She's not much good if an opponent can just grab her wrists to disable her, or if running up a flight of stairs gets her winded.
    We have a physically superhuman opponent have her arm broken by the orbs when she tried to grasp Sydney.
    No amount of physical training will make a difference if thats not enough.
    And if Sydney needs to get up a flight of stairs asap she can fly. If its important she should be flying there to start with. Or teleport.

Above all else she needs physical training. She cant always be magneto flying around inside her force field bubble
    As such she can indeed be Magneto if she want to. If she need to move around quickly orbs will beat any amount of physical training.

and it may be a useful skill to have.
    In the same way having an Atari 2600 controller is useful?

All in all, having Sydney run the track with everyone else is useful enough. So is spending the odd hour on self defence classes.
    But climbing training is absolutely waste of time. They only got so many hours to train Sydney in.
    And they are throwing them away on standart military training.

Teaching her to climb a wall is just going to teach her to climb walls. Yes it makes her more fit. and thats it.
    But she isnt a Archon member because of her physique. Its despite of it.
    So focus should be on orb skills, and working in a team.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Troll in the Playground

We have a physically superhuman opponent have her arm broken by the orbs when she tried to grasp Sydney.
    No amount of physical training will make a difference if thats not enough.
    And if Sydney needs to get up a flight of stairs asap she can fly. If its important she should be flying there to start with. Or teleport.

As such she can indeed be Magneto if she want to. If she need to move around quickly orbs will beat any amount of physical training.
    The problem with using flight as the only mode of transportation is that she could not use any other orb as the shield orb is the one she should be holding onto tightly all the time in a fight. Granted, climbing would not be viable either as it occupies her hands. Still, she needs to be in a good shape so that she can stay mobile in a fight and actually do something at the same time.

Teaching her to climb a wall is just going to teach her to climb walls. Yes it makes her more fit. and thats it.
    But she isnt a Archon member because of her physique. Its despite of it.
    So focus should be on orb skills, and working in a team.
    Being fit is a good thing in of itself, but climbing also trains your balance. It is also a solid mental training as was mentioned.

Besides, we could surely point some other Archon members who really would not need physical training and they are doing it anyway. It is a military organisation, so there is a common training regimen for all the members.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

The problem with using flight as the only mode of transportation is that she could not use any other orb as the shield orb is the one she should be holding onto tightly all the time in a fight. Granted, climbing would not be viable either as it occupies her hands. Still, she needs to be in a good shape so that she can stay mobile in a fight and actually do something at the same time.
    And the problem with that, is that flight/teleportation is -so- much more effective when it comes to mobility, that the difference between being fit and average condition doesnt really register.
    Of all the "stats" you could pick to improve on Sydney, endurance likely rank rock bottom.

Especially when you could instead be teaching her to juggle orbs in flight?
    Or give her a focused first aid course. That could actually quickly save lifes. As such Sydney is the perfect combat medic.

Being fit is a good thing in of itself, but climbing also trains your balance. It is also a solid mental training as was mentioned.

Besides, we could surely point some other Archon members who really would not need physical training and they are doing it anyway. It is a military organisation, so there is a common training regimen for all the members.
    There is a difference between a morning jog, and having her play around on a crawling wall.
    I certainly doubt how much mental training there is in climbing, compared to actual mental training.

And right now the topic is how they are wasting time on Sydney's training.
    Im sure they are doing awful stuff other places as well.

But the issue is that Sydney actually -need- training badly. Unlike people such as Math, Dabbler or Jabber, who mostly just need to be slottet into the organisation.
    Meaning there are bigger room to fail in here.

Of course, it can be there are plans for more power training. But this just gets focus because its more fun.
    Though thats a point where the regular comics are more realistic. Elite assets such as super powered people should be trained individually.

19. - Top - End - #979

For long distance travel and even stealth insertions, her flight and teleport orbs are primary, but if she ever has to use other orbs such as, for example, her shield for protection and hentorb to transport prisoners and she gets winded after a half a block of jogging, there are going to be problems.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #980

Or just shields and lasers.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Titan in the Playground

There is a difference between a morning jog, and having her play around on a crawling wall.
    I certainly doubt how much mental training there is in climbing, compared to actual mental training.

And right now the topic is how they are wasting time on Sydney's training.
    Im sure they are doing awful stuff other places as well.

But the issue is that Sydney actually -need- training badly. Unlike people such as Math, Dabbler or Jabber, who mostly just need to be slottet into the organisation.
    Meaning there are bigger room to fail in here.

Of course, it can be there are plans for more power training. But this just gets focus because its more fun.
    Though thats a point where the regular comics are more realistic. Elite assets such as super powered people should be trained individually.
    Rock climbing is great for mental training and learning your limits. You have to plan your path up the wall and it really does push your limits because climbing works pretty much every muscle in your body.

As a waste of time, ehhhh, I suppose? I mean, honestly, I'd say teaching her how to use a gun is more of a waste. 'Hi, here's a gun. You will never, ever use this, but we want you to have it so you can threaten people.' That is so stupid. Becoming physically fit has a lot of knock on effects like having more energy or just being healthier in general.

I'd say that Math and Dabbler all need the training just as badly as Sydney. First major fight against villains, and Math plays around and loses because he refuses to take things seriously and switch off to a different opponent. Dabbler is so much worse than Sydney is personality wise to where she is a constant discipline problem and zone of perpetual sexual harassment.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

22. - Top - End - #982

Math and Dabbler need lots of team training as they both are the sort to go it solo for their previous experiences. Math needs to be trained out of his goku thought process of looking for a good fight and holding back unless its absolutely necessary and learn to do quick take downs while dabbler needs to learn less of that but more self control. She is pretty good in a fight, her zone of perpetual sexual harassment more or less vanishes but she is easily distracted and doesnt always think of the team when fighting. Funny thing ive noticed, math has stepped back from being a male dabbler significantly. Maybe dave decided it was creepier when a dude was acting that way than a woman? In his earlier appearances he is literally stalking harem asking if the reason she is laughing is because one of her other bodies is doing something sexy and wants details. Shoving his head into anvils cleavage and taking selfies in a "spar" things like that. Maybe spending a few months surrounded by peak sexy women in sexy clothing at all times has calmed him down as he gets his horn dog fix at a low level just from being present lol.

23. - Top - End - #983
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Math and Dabbler need lots of team training as they both are the sort to go it solo for their previous experiences. Math needs to be trained out of his goku thought process of looking for a good fight and holding back unless its absolutely necessary and learn to do quick take downs while dabbler needs to learn less of that but more self control. She is pretty good in a fight, her zone of perpetual sexual harassment more or less vanishes but she is easily distracted and doesnt always think of the team when fighting. Funny thing ive noticed, math has stepped back from being a male dabbler significantly. Maybe dave decided it was creepier when a dude was acting that way than a woman? In his earlier appearances he is literally stalking harem asking if the reason she is laughing is because one of her other bodies is doing something sexy and wants details. Shoving his head into anvils cleavage and taking selfies in a "spar" things like that. Maybe spending a few months surrounded by peak sexy women in sexy clothing at all times has calmed him down as he gets his horn dog fix at a low level just from being present lol.
    Well, Math got specific orders to build up resistance to female curves. I guess he was just dilligently following them.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Titan in the Playground

For long distance travel and even stealth insertions, her flight and teleport orbs are primary, but if she ever has to use other orbs such as, for example, her shield for protection and hentorb to transport prisoners and she gets winded after a half a block of jogging, there are going to be problems.
    That does seem like another Atari 2600 care?
    And i will say, if your using Sydney to handle prisoners there are already problems, as she is possibly the least suited Archon member.

Rock climbing is great for mental training and learning your limits. You have to plan your path up the wall and it really does push your limits because climbing works pretty much every muscle in your body.

As a waste of time, ehhhh, I suppose? I mean, honestly, I'd say teaching her how to use a gun is more of a waste. 'Hi, here's a gun. You will never, ever use this, but we want you to have it so you can threaten people.' That is so stupid. Becoming physically fit has a lot of knock on effects like having more energy or just being healthier in general.
    We saw in the Vehemence fight that planning moves ahead is the one thing Sydney dont have a problem with.
    Though yes its not the running im complaining about. A bit of jogging is healthy enough.

And yeah the gun thing is even more of a time waste. The explanation for it was exceptionally silly.
    Though i guess the way they did the gun-thing might teach discipline.

I'd say that Math and Dabbler all need the training just as badly as Sydney. First major fight against villains, and Math plays around and loses because he refuses to take things seriously and switch off to a different opponent.
    As for Math, he specifically signed up for Archon -because- of the chance to get a good fight. So of course he isnt going to pass it on when he finally meet a worthy opponent.
    And thinking you can train it out of him is kinda futile. Fighting Jabberwocky is his payment for beating the previous 4-5 scrubs he downed.
    But the actual reason he lost was a cheap coat and a accidential choice of shirt.

25. - Top - End - #985

That does seem like another Atari 2600 care?
    And i will say, if your using Sydney to handle prisoners there are already problems, as she is possibly the least suited Archon member.

We saw in the Vehemence fight that planning moves ahead is the one thing Sydney dont have a problem with.
    Though yes its not the running im complaining about. A bit of jogging is healthy enough.

And yeah the gun thing is even more of a time waste. The explanation for it was exceptionally silly.

As for Math, he specifically signed up for Archon -because- of the chance to get a good fight. So of course he isnt going to pass it on when he finally meet a worthy opponent.
    And thinking you can train it out of him is kinda futile. Fighting Jabberwocky is his payment for beating the previous 4-5 scrubs he downed.
    But the actual reason he lost was a cheap coat and a accidential choice of shirt.

Not sure what an atari 2600 care is, but its entirely reasonable for sydney to be in charge of prisoner transport because she has an incredibly long mobile rope capable of handling up to 15 tons to use to restrain and transport a number of enemies safely. She cant use her shield to transport them as putting her in the middle of a pile of bad guys is a foolish risk, and nobody else has the ability to carry more than a person or two at a time safely. (Unless they break out the fancy hiro harness stuff) Just as a hypothetical example, lets say that sciona had herself a bunch of minions in her cave and they stopped her before the portal was opened. After defeating her, they would need to bring everyone out so the options are, every super strong person carries one under each arm, or sydney transports them all with her lighthook. Which one is more sensible and ties up less resources?

26. - Top - End - #986
    Troll in the Playground

Not sure what an atari 2600 care is, ...
    It is a reference to those utility belt considerations.

27. - Top - End - #987

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    It is a reference to those utility belt considerations.
    Ok, good reference, but not applicable. Its really not that far fetched of an option for sydney to be used to transport people or objects that arent friendly. Its just an alternate version of using her shield and flight to transport the nonflying team members to wherever they are going.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Titan in the Playground

For maximizing fitness you want to have a variety of exercises and I cannot empathize enough how healthy rock climbing is for you.

To a degree I suppose, but they have her practicing on the fire range with it. No. Just no. You have a much better ranged weapon in the PPO, and a much safer disabling weapon with the Lighthook. There is never a reason to use a gun. Practice with the gun should be replaced with practicing with the PPO. Particularly since Sydney gets upgrades after using her Orbs enough.

True, but that does make Math a liability. For all of Sydney's faults she does at least listen to orders during a fight. (Also it was 3 scrubs and relocating one who immediately got back up)
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ok, good reference, but not applicable. Its really not that far fetched of an option for sydney to be used to transport people or objects that arent friendly. Its just an alternate version of using her shield and flight to transport the nonflying team members to wherever they are going.
    Would that even make sense?
    Without her shield Sydney can't fly that fast, so it might be faster to wait for a transport.
    Maybe for short routes, in places where they can't get with a car or a helicopter.
    Getting the prisoners to the next parking/landing spot.
    For longer distances it'd be easier to make them walk.
    In fact I'd prefer that over getting wrapped into Sydney's tentacle.
    Doubly so if there are other prisoners.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

30. - Top - End - #990

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Would that even make sense?
    Without her shield Sydney can't fly that fast, so it might be faster to wait for a transport.
    Maybe for short routes, in places where they can't get with a car or a helicopter.
    Getting the prisoners to the next parking/landing spot.
    For longer distances it'd be easier to make them walk.
    In fact I'd prefer that over getting wrapped into Sydney's tentacle.
    Doubly so if there are other prisoners.
    "Ok, we managed to take over dr von evilgiggles castle and knocked out his men. Everyone grab a prisoner or two under each arm and start marching!" "Or, and this is just me spitballing, I can use my incredible extendable light hook to wrap up the entire bundle of thugs and bring them outside so the rest of the team has its hands free in case of trouble." "Good idea sydney, but you start to wheeze every time you walk up a flight of stairs, im not sure that we have the hour to spend if you have to walk."

As an added bonus, we already have seen her do this to vehemence when the fight was over. She loaded him in the truck with her lighthook.