New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power V: Probably Not an Octopus

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Went and read the Wikia entry for that character.

Meh, sounds like a poorly-written no-sell-monger, the sort of "nuh uh... that can't hurt me, cause of this thing I just made up" character a 6-year-old would come up with.
    Its a pretty direct application of being able to manipulate space. If Opal made a portal that pointed to itself (like a mirror) it would have a similar effect. Then its shaped like a human and has an illusion pasted over it. Sydney's true sight would be really handy if they actually had to fight someone like that. In fact, Sydney's MO would probably save the day!

Siberian: *bites Peggy's next toe off*
    Max: *blitz Siberian, breaks hand*
    Siberian: *Eats Max's hand*
    Sydney: *Notices creepy dude, pops over with comm ball*
    Siberian: *Still eating people*
    Sydney: "Perpetrating evil, while looking at the cannibal lady, that actually looks like negative space wedgie suddenly?"
    Siberian: *still eating people*
    Sydney: *saves day!*
    Archon: *still chewed on*

Still it could turn the comic dark really quickly.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Super-strength is meaningless if you're basically a vaguely person-shaped unstoppable force/ immovable object.
    And can transfer those capabilities to stuff you touch.

So she can still move pretty fast, jump pretty high and stuff because she controls how much she and the ground under her feet are affected by things.
    In other words, a free energy buffet for Anvil.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Meh, sounds like a poorly-written no-sell-monger, the sort of "nuh uh... that can't hurt me, cause of this thing I just made up" character a 6-year-old would come up with.
    Stuff like that makes for a good antagonist. Else you get, well Sciona. Where she was absolutely wiped by the heroes once they caught up to her. If your villains aren't more powerful than your heroes, you lose a lot of tension from the story. Like right now for example. There's this alien invasion going on, but I'm not worried about Max or Sydney actually getting hurt.

So yeah, an insane power with a clear weakness? I love that in an antagonist. Admittedly, that's not the start nor end all of making a good villain, but it helps.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    In other words, a free energy buffet for Anvil.
    We would probably find out quickly if she has an upper limit to what she can absorb. She had no trouble absorbing a vehemence punch when he attacked, but that was earlier on before he achieved maxima beating levels of power.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Well, we are talking about a Wildbow antagonist.
    I mean the Siberian's almost harmless compared to some other stuff he throws at his heroes.

And everything always only gets worse.

To the point I actually stopped reading the sequel (Ward) because it made me feel like all those struggles and sacrifices Taylor went through in Worm were utterly pointless.
    You know, I don't even mind dark stories, but if you make me feel like the final boss slaughtering everyone would have been a happier ending you are doing something wrong.
    I never really got into dark stories much. Ive read all of one dark universe and that was anne bishops dark jewels trilogy where the high lord of hell is both a main character and one of the good guys. For a given definition of good. Honestly, I like my books like I like my movies and games, escapism through light hearteded happiness. I like action comedy films where the good guy wins and the bad guy loses and happily ever after is attainable. I dont read/watch/play to make myself cry or feel existential despair. Its the same reason i dont play games on hard mode. I play games for fun, not so I can scream in outrage after getting slaughtered for the 75th time in a row on the same fight. Yes the feeling of eventually getting past that is great, but to me its not worth the rage beforehand.
    Last edited by Traab; 2019-08-24 at 01:35 PM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I never really got into dark stories much. Ive read all of one dark universe and that was anne bishops dark jewels trilogy where the high lord of hell is both a main character and one of the good guys. For a given definition of good. Honestly, I like my books like I like my movies and games, escapism through light hearteded happiness. I like action comedy films where the good guy wins and the bad guy loses and happily ever after is attainable. I dont read/watch/play to make myself cry or feel existential despair. Its the same reason i dont play games on hard mode. I play games for fun, not so I can scream in outrage after getting slaughtered for the 75th time in a row on the same fight. Yes the feeling of eventually getting past that is great, but to me its not worth the rage beforehand.
    Worm strikes a good balance for me. Yes, the world is dark, but the protaganist is determined to change it, and actually has the power to do so.

But Wildbow's writing has gotten darker over time. His story after Worm, Pact, was pretty much the definition of a crap sack world.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2019-08-24 at 02:07 PM.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    We would probably find out quickly if she has an upper limit to what she can absorb. She had no trouble absorbing a vehemence punch when he attacked, but that was earlier on before he achieved maxima beating levels of power.
    And all she has to do is use some of that power (A single punch) and that would lower her energy reserves. So no chance for overload there.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

7. - Top - End - #97

And all she has to do is use some of that power (A single punch) and that would lower her energy reserves. So no chance for overload there.
    Unless its just an instant blast of power she cant contain and she bursts rather than a controllable absorption rate. Depends on the full mechanics of her power which are still very vague beyond "absorbs kinetic energy" She seems to instantly absorb whatever she is hit with, but we dont know where the limit is on how much she can absorb at once, and how much she can contain. Right now her best feat is building destruction against that robot iirc. No sign of it being a cap on her power either. No indication of strain.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Siberian doesn't have kinetic energy to absorb. She doesn't even have mass. Maybe Anvil could protect herself, but I don't see how she could affect or slow Siberian. It would be like trying to block a portal or absorb gravity or something. Plus Anvil can be grappled and thrown around IIRC, so Siberian could probably eat her. Or use Anvil to beat other members of Archon to death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer
    So yeah, an insane power with a clear weakness? I love that in an antagonist. Admittedly, that's not the start nor end all of making a good villain, but it helps.
    It acts as a good trick to keep tension, but still let the antagonist be defeated.
    Stuff like that makes for a good antagonist. Else you get, well Sciona. Where she was absolutely wiped by the heroes once they caught up to her. If your villains aren't more powerful than your heroes, you lose a lot of tension from the story. Like right now for example. There's this alien invasion going on, but I'm not worried about Max or Sydney actually getting hurt.
    Its difficult to make a good story without serious opposition.

Of course, this story could turn dark quickly. Example: Anvil absorbs a huge amount of Stygian energy when she absorbs kinetic energy from them and promptly becomes Corrupted Anvil. The ambient violence of an alien invasion fills Vehemence with wholesome violence-energy allowing him to become more powerful than ever before! He also gets Stygian energy with it and becomes Corrupted Vehemence! A large number of the Fell have sneaked off to have "Wholesome Adult Fun" and Dabbler... you get the idea right?

Actually, not really because this is still all a flashback!
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

So she can still move pretty fast, jump pretty high and stuff because she controls how much she and the ground under her feet are affected by things.

Basically, I don't see many Archon members outside maybe Achilles and Sydney's shield being able to take a hit from her.

Maxima probably isn't though enough and even if she couldn't do anything else.
    And Dabbler might be able to cook up something BS enough (friggin tinkers) to affect the Siberian, but that's at best a temporary relief.
    I dont think there are anything maybe about Achilles ability to tank hits.
    His ability is true invulnerability.

Max might get her invulnerability far enough if she drains everything else.
    Since that gets her up to comic Thor level toughess (who is enough to survive hits from cosmic entities).
    But she is certainly fast enough if she speed dumps. instead.

Strangely enough, its only Sydney's shield i doubt can hold. We have already seen it take damage.

Yeah that was more or less my main reaction as well.

Siberian doesn't have kinetic energy to absorb. She doesn't even have mass. Maybe Anvil could protect herself, but I don't see how she could affect or slow Siberian. It would be like trying to block a portal or absorb gravity or something. Plus Anvil can be grappled and thrown around IIRC, so Siberian could probably eat her. Or use Anvil to beat other members of Archon to death.
    Well she could get between Siberian and whatever target its aimed at. Since it doesnt have super strenght, then it would not be able to throw Anvil anywhere, only lift her.
    You certainly cant beat anyone to death with her though, you would have more luck with using an inflated silk ballon (absorbs kinetic energy of impact).

But thinking more about it. The fast and simple choice for slowing Siberian down is Harem and a bucket of paint.
    Throw into face to blind. Repeat as needed.

Sciona was a good antagonist.
    In part because she wasnt dangerous due to her personal power (despite being quite strong), but from her ability to tinker and plot.
    Her super-husk proved a significant challenge. As well as her plan to summon an alien invasion.
    Its a bit of how you absolutely can create tension in a Superman story with Lex Luther as the main Villain.
    You just need to set up a problem that cant be solved by punching alone.
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2019-08-25 at 08:37 AM.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

10. - Top - End - #100

We have also seen maxima take damage even while stat dumping into armor. We honestly have yet to see a head to head matchup of max in full turtle mode versus sydney shield as to who can tank the most damage. We have seen what looks like a block sized crater creating explosion take her shield to the red with a direct hit but not QUITE break through, meanwhile we only have vehemence at his peak able to pin her in place and slowly crush her with his hands but we have no clue what level of power that is in relation to say, destroying real estate with a single strike. So Sydney is at block busting level of shield durability give or take. Which is... impressive as heck actually. We cant even be sure if her shield gets weaker being forced to cover a larger area (and more people) or not. Logically it would make sense that it does weaken even if only a bit but we dont know because this 15 year long flashback hasnt gotten that far into minutiae. Max is still a question mark as we dont have a reference point for how much crushing damage she was struggling to resist.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

That crater is a LOT bigger than a block. In order to make a crater that big you are talking about small nukes. And Max is thinking “Okay, that was a respectable opening move. And if I wasn’t worried about my team… BANG! ZOOM! Literally to the MOON!”

12. - Top - End - #102

That crater is a LOT bigger than a block. In order to make a crater that big you are talking about small nukes. And Max is thinking “Okay, that was a respectable opening move. And if I wasn’t worried about my team… BANG! ZOOM! Literally to the MOON!”
    Im not sure, you can clearly see the shield there and thats smaller than a house. I think a neighborhood block is a solid setup for its size.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I dont think there are anything maybe about Achilles ability to tank hits.
    His ability is true invulnerability.

Max might get her invulnerability far enough if she drains everything else.
    Since that gets her up to comic Thor level toughess (who is enough to survive hits from cosmic entities).
    But she is certainly fast enough if she speed dumps. instead.

Strangely enough, its only Sydney's shield i doubt can hold. We have already seen it take damage.
    Thing is, the only things Sibby doesn't insta-shred when she wants too are those under effects that make them inviolable.
    Objects that got time-locked for example.

So, depending on how absolute his invulnerability is Achilles might indeed have the best chances.

Sydney's shield might not be strong enough yet, but if she can catch her inside it might temporarily pop the Siberian considering it can keep (some) powers out.

But Maxima?
    Yeah no. If she gets hit she's mincemeat.
    Best case she gets to rock the Nick Fury look.

Anvil...
    Well, she's not invulnerable, so I still think Sibby would go through her fast.

Point is unless they figure out fast that they should ignore the nigh-unstoppable engine of gorey death and look for the creepy old man in the stalker van the team loose hard.

Hence why I think cannibal catgirl would need a nerf.

Not as much as some others though.
    Looking at you Simmy.
    I mean even ignoring the general Endbringer-ness that one's a OP birdy.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

14. - Top - End - #104

I get the feeling they have tested achilles invulnerability VERY thoroughly. We know he has head butted cruise missiles and not cared, we know he has drunk vials of "super ebola" and not even gotten indigestion. About the only thing I could even conceive of being a threat to him would be reality warpers and even then it wouldnt surprise me if its "lol no" because that seems to be the trend with him. His offensive abilities are basically null, barely above human norm due to him not being able to rip muscles straining to lift something and so are offset by his total immunity to damage of any way shape or form. Of course that means all she has to do is create a hole in the ground, drop him in it, then seal it shut and she wins. There is effectively nothing he can do to her directly or indirectly. She can at least remove him from battle with contemptuous ease.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

So, depending on how absolute his invulnerability is Achilles might indeed have the best chances.
    I get the feeling they have tested achilles invulnerability VERY thoroughly. We know he has head butted cruise missiles and not cared, we know he has drunk vials of "super ebola" and not even gotten indigestion. About the only thing I could even conceive of being a threat to him would be reality warpers and even then it wouldnt surprise me if its "lol no" because that seems to be the trend with him. His offensive abilities are basically null, barely above human norm due to him not being able to rip muscles straining to lift something and so are offset by his total immunity to damage of any way shape or form. Of course that means all she has to do is create a hole in the ground, drop him in it, then seal it shut and she wins. There is effectively nothing he can do to her directly or indirectly. She can at least remove him from battle with contemptuous ease.
    We know from the cast page that he has shrugged off attacks that destroy matter on the subatomic level.
    I dont think there should be any doubt that he is truely invulnerable.
    And i also doubt its going to be that easy to get rid of him. Since she lack super strenght then she cant throw him away.
    So if he clings to her he becomes a serious annoyance thats very hard to get rid off.

But Maxima?
    Yeah no. If she gets hit she's mincemeat.
    Best case she gets to rock the Nick Fury look.
    Has the Siberian wounded supers on the Thor tier of durability?
    If not then the jury is out on the mincemeat thing.
    And since it (i guess is a more fitting term?) lacks super speed, then it dont have the ability to hit something that can catch a bullet and fly.

Anvil...
    Well, she's not invulnerable, so I still think Sibby would go through her fast.
    I meanwhile dont think she would go anywhere, since blows without energy behind them isnt a blow.

Point is unless they figure out fast that they should ignore the nigh-unstoppable engine of gorey death and look for the creepy old man in the stalker van the team loose hard.
    Thankfully the team does have solid scanning options, from both Halo and Dabbler.

16. - Top - End - #106

We know from the cast page that he has shrugged off attacks that destroy matter on the subatomic level.
    I dont think there should be any doubt that he is truely invulnerable.
    And i also doubt its going to be that easy to get rid of him. Since she lack super strenght then she cant throw him away.
    So if he clings to her he becomes a serious annoyance thats very hard to get rid off.

And since it (i guess is a more fitting term?) lacks super speed, then it dont have the ability to hit something that can catch a bullet and fly.

I meanwhile dont think she would go anywhere, since blows without energy behind them isnt a blow.

Thankfully the team does have solid scanning options, from both Halo and Dabbler.
    Sorry, I was under the impression that her ability to control gravity that lets her leap vast distances could also be used to hit something really really hard. So I figured at the very least she could make a hole in the ground and drop achilles into it. I have never had anything to do with the worm franchise so I know almost nothing about it. I just read her fanwiki and upon rereading it realized I misunderstood.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

And that's just in Archon. There is also "Arc-Dark" which is a dedicated intel branch. Still think it's funny the people in the branch don't like the name much.

18. - Top - End - #108

Arc-Light is the intel division. We know almost nothing about Arc-Dark, other than they're tasked with monitoring Xuriel. So maybe counter-intel or internal security.

Of course, if Dave was doing proper world-building, we wouldn't need to guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    I would say this is the third we are in right now, with the big fight with Sciona being the end of a second arc.
    Nope. Somebody asked in the comments a couple months back and Dave confirmed this is still the second arc (the Sciona one).

Frankly, I suspect we will look back in the not too distant future and laugh at the idea this comic had any structure at all, just as we've come to mock the idea of pacing.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Absolutely she can, but the thing to remember about how she injures something it that she doesn't do it by rending flesh with power in the same sense that a normal physical object would. She does it by ignoring that them, its a weird super science quantum physics thing like how she can just ignore gravity to jump higher or ignore literally anything that would harm her that isn't acting on a similar scale of immovable object logic by literally warping physics. One of the classic examples used is objects that have been clockblocked, objects that have literally been frozen in time in an exact state that literally nothing in the story is ever shown to be able to change. Contact with those would cause the Siberian projection to pop and the only other two times she was ever effecting was either a specific power designed to stab objects through multiple iterations the multiverse by making an object a universal constant and allowing it ignore laws of physics to puncture through any and all material that was still bound to those laws and the third time was the thing that owned all these powers and was just BETTER then her at being invulnerable. So perhaps some divine or magical aspect of Thor's nature might mean he personally wouldn't be harmed by her but in general that tier of toughness really doesn't matter to her because she is a specialized tool acting outside the normal context of these things. Worm powers in general are utterly terrifying for this reason. Also I am still not convinced that some of the powers in Worm aren't magical anyways but that tends to be a point of contention between me and others.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Arc-Light is the intel division. We know almost nothing about Arc-Dark, other than they're tasked with monitoring Xuriel. So maybe counter-intel or internal security.

Of course, if Dave was doing proper world-building, we wouldn't need to guess.

Nope. Somebody asked in the comments a couple months back and Dave confirmed this is still the second arc (the Sciona one).

Frankly, I suspect we will look back in the not too distant future and laugh at the idea this comic had any structure at all, just as we've come to mock the idea of pacing.
    I see arc light as the research and investigation division. they collect info on all known supers or potential super threats, investigate crimes like locked door murders and such. I assume arc dark are the spies and secret agent types. They do the officially unofficial tasks where you would be disavowed if captured.

As for proper world building, i sorta agree. The problem I see is he keeps introducing things, giving them a cursory explanation, then moves on to the next awesome thing he wants to introduce leaving us hanging with questions that need answers but now wont get any until its time to go back there for whatever reason. However, he is doing some of it right in that despite the sheer volume of exposition he has dumped on us over the years, I cant think of many intrinsic plot holes in the setting he may have created. I think my favorite was learning about The Veil. And how while it was aimed at hiding the supernatural, it also worked on supers in general, though not perfectly, which explains how we have had supers throughout history and yet they arent generally known about until now.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

For all we know, the thing that gave Maxima her powers, or Halo's orbs, make them immune to b******t powers from another comic universe, and they can laugh "Siberian" off completely.

It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, easily. She infamously took the eye from Alexandria who literally could only be hurt by two people, the Siberian and Scion. (She could also choke to death, but even that only caused brain death. Her body itself actually stayed healthy. As little sense as that makes.

I'd go with her. The projection may or may not have a personality. Or it may act like it has a personality because the source of the powers is completely crazy. It's tough to tell. And she can do giant leaps when she wants to.

My money would be on Anvil getting carved up. I don't think the Siberian uses kinetic energy so much as matter displacement.

The paint idea wouldn't work either. Anything the Siberian doesn't want to affect her, just sorta falls off. Even if it did somehow work, the Siberian could just refresh her existence and be completely unaffected once again.

Sciona was a good antagonist.
    In part because she wasnt dangerous due to her personal power (despite being quite strong), but from her ability to tinker and plot.
    Her super-husk proved a significant challenge. As well as her plan to summon an alien invasion.
    Its a bit of how you absolutely can create tension in a Superman story with Lex Luther as the main Villain.
    You just need to set up a problem that cant be solved by punching alone.
    She was alright. I'd hardly call the super-husk a challenge though, it did...basically nothing? Some mild injuries anyways, and then was promptly handled by Maxima.
    Her plan to summon an alien invasion was good. A shame her success or failure literally didn't matter since they were all already dead.

The problem is that 'solving' Sciona could be resolved by punching, and basically was. And once they found her, she was pretty much useless in a straight up confrontation.

But basically, I never felt any tension in regards to her actually physically threatening the protaganists.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2019-08-25 at 10:07 PM.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

For all we know, the thing that gave Maxima her powers, or Halo's orbs, make them immune to b******t powers from another comic universe, and they can laugh "Siberian" off completely.

Potentially, but unlikely. Sydney's shield has a very high ceiling but it does have a limit to what it can take which means it wouldn't be able to handle an "All or Nothing" effect and Maxima is just plain old hard to injure. Not inviolable due to manipulating physics to freeze her into a specific unharmable state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Yes, easily. She infamously took the eye from Alexandria who literally could only be hurt by two people, the Siberian and Scion. (She could also choke to death, but even that only caused brain death. Her body itself actually stayed healthy. As little sense as that makes.

I'd go with her. The projection may or may not have a personality. Or it may act like it has a personality because the source of the powers is completely crazy. It's tough to tell. And she can do giant leaps when she wants to.

My money would be on Anvil getting carved up. I don't think the Siberian uses kinetic energy so much as matter displacement.

The paint idea wouldn't work either. Anything the Siberian doesn't want to affect her, just sorta falls off. Even if it did somehow work, the Siberian could just refresh her existence and be completely unaffected once again.
    For reference on how strong Alexandria is Word of God is that she could brawl Superman, although she isn't as strong or fast she is roughly as tough. Siberian could also by word of god tag Supes if she got lucky but really she doesn't need to be as fast or be able to fly properly to just murder nearby people till a hero is forced to move into range to try and stop her. Achilles however does seem to have some variety of phase lock effect to his invulnerability but its hard to tell with him. Now that I think about it Krona might be able to literally just switch the projection to off to shut her down if she could figure out what was going on. But in a hypothetical fight between just her and Archon Maxima or Anvil's reliance on being able to take a hit from almost anything could turn ugly fast until they switched to a "delay and evacuate" strategy. Although I forget how we got on this subject in the first place.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

It sounds both badly written and badly defined.
    So i guess its impossible to know.

I dont see any reason for why the paint idea would not work. Its not affecting it, its blocking its vision.
    And refreshing (another BS power) would certainly release the cat on it being some sort of force projection.
    Not to mention, just result in a new bucket of paint.

She was alright. I'd hardly call the super-husk a challenge though, it did...basically nothing? Some mild injuries anyways, and then was promptly handled by Maxima.
    Her plan to summon an alien invasion was good. A shame her success or failure literally didn't matter since they were all already dead.

The problem is that 'solving' Sciona could be resolved by punching, and basically was. And once they found her, she was pretty much useless in a straight up confrontation.

But basically, I never felt any tension in regards to her actually physically threatening the protaganists.
    It made quite a mess, required both Max and Anvil to step in, and would potentially have gotten a blood sample from Max if Hiro had not also been there.
    The situation there were potentially inches from a massive disaster.

Sciona meanwhile became a problem because she didnt kick down a few buildings in main street to announce her presence like Vehemence did.
    She hid, so suddenly the actual challenge were to find her in time.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Guess, Cora didn't get a real run down an the team and what they can do from Dabbler. And that was probably intentional.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Guess, Cora didn't get a real run down an the team and what they can do from Dabbler. And that was probably intentional.
    Oh no. You can be certain Dabbler gave Cora a very detailed rundown on the team, and their abilities.

... she likely just didnt get to talk about less important things, like their super power.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Potentially, but unlikely. Sydney's shield has a very high ceiling but it does have a limit to what it can take which means it wouldn't be able to handle an "All or Nothing" effect and Maxima is just plain old hard to injure. Not inviolable due to manipulating physics to freeze her into a specific unharmable state.
    I think you missed the point.

And the point is that this is all pointless -- it's cross-universe garbage on the level of "Stardestroyer vs Enterprise". It's two incompatible sets of assumptions. There is literally no way of knowing if Max or Halo would be immune to some power from some other comic universe, so for all we know, they're immune. As it stands, you're all arguing as if the ad-hoc assumptions of this other comic universe were true in the "Haloverse".

Now, if you guys want to keep discussing some other webcomic full of Villain Sues and such, please, start a separate thread for that.

It sounds both badly written and badly defined.
    So i guess its impossible to know.
    Exactly. It's the ultimate "nuh-uh, you can't hurt my character, because I said so" that deserves nothing more than an eye-roll.

Every time I start to worry that some of my characters are a bit over-powered, I come across something like the Villain Sues in that other comic, and I'm reminded that they're fine.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-08-26 at 10:57 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

28. - Top - End - #118

Nice to see the rest of ARCHON getting some action.

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Nice to see the rest of ARCHON getting some action.
    Agreed, I see stalwart hiro anvil and maybe amorphus taking the front line and getting it stuck in. I see brook and jiggawatt along with sydney strafing from a distance. Maxima is there to obliterate any real threat that shows itself. Math is likely going all over the place trying to avoid getting bogged down and brick breaking them one at a time. Harem is likely on equipment run again and will take on stragglers with her terminal velocity dropkicks.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Bugbear in the Playground

Why do I find it unsurprising that max killjoy and lord_khaine have strong opinions on the writing quality of something they know barely anything about? (Btw, about it making you think your villains are fine. Whether bull**** powers are fine depends on how they are used in the story. Seeing higher lvls of ridiculous powers says little about whether one with lesser ones are fine because that is not what makes them good or bad. Though it is harder to handle the more ridiculous ones. PPS: Just having hard to beat powers is not what defines a sue, villain or otherwise.)

Anyway in general I would consider some of the more non standard powers in the wormverse a poor matchup for this one which mostly has pretty standard superhero kits, but the situation with Siberian isn't different in her original setting either, you need to figure out that she is controlled from afar. So in a lighter setting like this it would play out as the heroes not being able to handle her but somehow getting away without grave injuries while she probably moves towards something with civilians, then just before she reaches them someone figures it out and the guy gets captured (or is forced to flee with the siberian if he is supposed to be reoccurring.) Or something like that.

Lighter stories are often lighter stories not because the enemies in it couldn't potentially do terrible things with their powers but because the stories don't let it reach that point or gloss over the dark stuff.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2019-08-26 at 01:17 PM.