New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Default Re: The Convergence of Sky: An Exalted campaign.

One-two, one-two! The Outlander's staff clatters against the rush of mortal steel as the stranger spins in place, almost dancing with the oncoming forces. She's starting to sweat a touch, even for her this is hefty work, but the battle-smile hasn't left her face yet. She's not out of the fight until everything turns black.

Spoiler
    Show
    Given my next turn plans... yeah, 4m works. That + a stunt brings me up to 10

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

The Lake: Outlander's dancing staff parries blows and swipes, staying a half-second ahead of every attack that comes her way. The Caravan guards are not so lucky. The Moonblades pour over their position, almost to the shore of the frozen lake. Had these all been professional soldiers, it's likely each and every one of Adorei's company would be cut down, but these are first-class bandits. They see fine clean fur wraps, inland guards on swords and the fair skin of islanders. There are ransoms to be had here. Blades turn mid-swing, delivering thwacks and cracks but tearing no skin. The local guides throw down their weapons and kneel in the shadow of the Yeddim, hoping that a distant cousin is among their attackers, one to whom they don't owe money.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Yeah, the Moonblades just kinda over-ran the guards and dynasts completely. Even counting them as a size-1 Battle-group their morale would be abysmal. The Moonblades are good at their jobs, and that includes swift applications of mercy when there's booty to be had.

The Whirlwind:

Decks's head is swimming. He rememberes the blow that took him off his feet, of sailing through the air like a tano nut being passed between macaques over a sulfur-spring and then the howling, shrieking all-consuming whiteness as he hit the whirlwind. The knuckles of his left paw feel raw, cold and stinging, all the fur has been scraped away. That paw clutches the soapstone, and it had been the first part of him to impact the whirlwind. He's lying on his back on an incline, his head below his feet, struggling to remain conscious as he looks up at the dome of wind and snow high above. A whooshing sound, quite distinct from the whirlwind is all around him, and with it a chill breeze, carrying words.

"First...the first has come...We expected more...more at once...conflict...yes...they fight for...what? Do they know? No...they fight because...the world is harsh...Indeed it is...threats approach...north...yes, north it comes...the whirlwind...it can breach...it has...need protection...too weak...we must do something...yes...what we can do...Frozen Glade?...Yes...we must give it up...a gamble that we must take...for the future...Plentimon would laugh...The Convergence must be ensured..."

Decks feels a sudden burst of energy, and with it the pain of his injuries that had been held at bay by burgeoning unconsciousness. Cracked ribs are sealed together, bruises swell as the muscle underneath weaves new fibers, blood pounds in his ears, drowning out the words on the wind. In a handful of heartbeats, Decks is alert, lying on a downward slope within the whirlwind, icy mist all around him and at his feet, a bloom of summer growth, heather, crocuses and chickweed all abound. When the pounding in his head subsides, he is able to hear the sounds of battle beyond the wall of white, and behind him, the unknown in the mist.

Show
    Okay, so that was something! Decks has been force-healed up to his -1 Health Levels, and has been reset to base (3) initiative. Let's see what he does, once we get there in the round.
    Sorry for making things complicated!
    -Me

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

All of Waldaharjaz's plans change in an instant as a woman in strange dress appears and, after a furious exchange of blows, launches the other Lunar over the hill and out of the fight. Even though he has no idea who that Lunar was, or whether the leopard-man was, in fact, friend or foe, the stranger has clearly established herself as a threat well beyond what he expected from the foreign expedition. Had she struck his own comrades with such force and fury, rather than one of the Exalted, the snow would be stained with blood now.

He can't risk that happening. For the sake of his friends, he must rise to the challenge, he must subdue this mighty stranger, and do it quickly. He rushes toward her in haste, vaulting over his comrades' shields where they are slow in clearing his way. Soon he faces her one-on-one, the Moonblades drawing back a bit to give the two champions room.

"I don't know who you are, friend, but you stand between Waldaharjaz, the Flashing Blade of the Moon, and his chosen prey! That is not a wise stand to take."

His lips spread in a toothy grin.

"Allow me to demonstrate!"

His twinned swords blur into motion. Their unusual design, all sharp points and keen edges, blade, guard, and pommel alike, makes every movement a potential threat. Walda seems to strike from every angle, letting the Outlander block a slash only to follow through by punching with the sword's crescent guard, or feinting a low sweep of her legs only to drive the dagger-sharp point of a pommel toward her face. The blows rain down, swift and relentless, moonsilver chipping at the wood of the Outlander's staff, but her defense holds, and not once do Walda's dancing swords draw blood.

"You fight very well!"
    he commends her, grinning back at her battle-smile, "But it's time you stood aside!"

Then, Walda abruptly changes tactics. A silver crescent moon sparks into visibility on his forehead as he traps the Outlander's staff between the hooks of his blades, briefly immobilizing it, and his foot lashes out, delivering one, two, three swift kicks to her abdomen in sequence before he lowers his leg again.

Spoiler: OOC and Rolls
    Show
    Motion of Myriad Legs (3 m from Peripheral, 1 wp) to make three bashing Decisive attacks. If I can enhance multiple attacks with varying levels of Excellency (I can't remember if that's possible or not, and without Nishkriya available, quick searches haven't found any explanation), I'm going to enhance the first with 3m Excellency, the second with 2m, and the third with 1m (also from peripheral), for a total of 9m, 1wp spent. If any of these attacks deals damage, the Outlander's Onslaught penalty will not refresh on her next turn.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Stunt dice included in all attack rolls:
    Attack 1: (15d10)[7][5][4][3][5][4][7][5][2][2][1][1][8][2][4](60)
    Damage 1: (3d10)[3][6][8](17)
    Attack 2: (14d10)[2][8][10][4][5][4][10][10][7][1][7][2][6][4](80)
    Damage 2: (3d10)[7][9][6](22)
    Attack 3: (13d10)[2][3][2][7][4][4][7][4][1][9][8][4][4](59)
    Damage 3: (3d10)[5][5][2](12)
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

"Oh, so you're not just a thief, you're a pretty thief with a fancy name. Great."

The Outlander groans as she hefts her staff, trying to break free from Walda's grip as she shifted from side to side, rolling away from the kicks as swiftly as she can. This bastard's fast, faster than Stripey, and she's too close to just drop her weapon without leaving herself more vulnerable. He had her number right enough: she was more experienced with interception than evasion. Still, that's not enough to stop the strange woman darting swiftly from side to side.

Her eyes turn briefly to the campsite, now encircled by the Moonblades. Briefly, Walda can see the stranger's expression darken. Her feelings don't seem directed at him though. She's more sorrowful than angry as she starts speaking again. "You're right. Doesn't look like whoever that lot are have the will to fight you. But I don't bow to a man who believes in taking a hundred bandits to steal from a dozen or so travellers. You want my head, Waldaharzawhadeva?"

Before Walda can pull away, his twin blades clang and ricochet back as the Outlander's fists impact with both, forcing the mighty Lunar back a few steps further than he'd intended. The Solar catches her staff, panting for breath but smiling right back at the Flashing Blade of the Moon. "You're going to have to earn it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Stunting each time, but no mote spend. Defense values 7, 6, 5. Sorry if it sucks, I tried to sell it, but without the spending I'm fairly sure this is going badly for the Outlander.

*sigh* Hopeless fight is hopeless. But I'mma gonna spit in your eye till the last, Ascension. 'Hopeless fight' just makes me think I'm punching Den Hopeless!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

It was over before Adorei knew it. The beastmen charged, kicking up great clouds of snow behind them, and Adorei's small band was overwhelmed in seconds. Even the strange woman - Adorei was beginning to wonder if she had come from the storm itself - wasn't able to stem their tide, preternaturally skilled as she was. He himself was standing with daggers drawn, near to hyperventillating, but he'd lowered his hands when he'd seen that they were taking his men alive. That... complicated things. Not that it was unexpected - their ransoms, especially Adorei's, would likely be very profitable - but it meant that there would be survivors. It meant that he couldn't run or hide, because the dishonor of that action would follow and be spoken of and used against him. It also presented an opportunity.

Looking around, he began to pick out details in the Anathema's forces. Firstly, not all of them were beastmen. There were men scattered among them, and some had the bearing and equipment of legionnaires. Deserters, then, and Adorei had to fight to keep the disdain off his face. They spoke a common language. They'd be useful. The second thing he noticed was even more surprising: they had injured with them. He'd always understood the Icewalker tribes to be unforgiving peoples, who's weak and infirm would go out onto the ice to spare their tribe the cost of caring for them. But there they were, trailing in at the back of the charge, a group of twisted men and women so broken simply running looked difficult. That they were still here said something, he just wasn't sure what yet.

"Lower your weapons." He called, trying to keep his voice steady. "Do it!" he snarled, when Bosro and a few of the others still fighting looked up in surprise. "They've won." The strange woman was still fighting their leader so Adorei sought out the apparent second-in-command, a weathered old man in seal-skin barking orders in Skytongue. "Enough fighting. We surrender." he said, giving the man a glare he'd spent hours as a youth practicing in the mirror. "House Nellens will, of course, pay a ransom. For everyone." he emphasized, at the despairing looks of their guides. That was important - word would spread of their 'charity', and it would help in the future. It may also help right here and now.

[spoiler=Actions]Alright, so - this is going to be an Instill attempt targeting the Moonblades, trying to establish a new Minor Intimacy of Respect for Adorei. Sending 4m for two bonus successes.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Manipulation + Socialize: (9d10)[1][9][10][5][7][7][9][3][8](59) + 2

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Shakes his fur out as the pain of his injuries subsides. He can hear voices, but as he opens his eyes, he doesn’t see anyone. He expected the snow to swirl around him; however, the greenery at his feet confuses Decks.

“First… I’m the first of what?” Decks grumbles. “The first to fall for your trap. Show yourselves, you cowards!”

The leopard man’s tail lashed rapidly, showing his agitation. He didn’t expect that woman to appear suddenly. Was she a part of this elaborate trap?

7. - Top - End - #37

MonkGirl

The Whirlwind

Decks is assailed by a chill wind from down the slope, covering him in the thick icy mists. The voices come again, this time clearer.

"We are not your foe...we need help...weakening...a threat approaches...must not possess...it possesses a Shrinelink stone..........IT IS HERE!"

There is a bestial roar, and a rounded shape the size of a mammoth rushes out of the mist, flying at twice Decks' height and dripping blood. With another roar, it is above him and through the whirlwind, the snow stained pink with its passage.

The Lake

On the other side of the ridge, a sudden roar is heard as a huge shape barrels out of the whirlwind. It glides out over the combatants, trailing rivulets of blood that form lazy spirals of red dots on the snow and ice below. A figure, small, green-furred, with wide crimson pupil-less eyes grins down with huge, serrated teeth. As the floating behemoth begins to slowly circle the battlefield, the grinning creature speaks in a clear, carrying voice.

"LIKE A FLASH OF MAGNIFICENCE HE APPEARS! THE POTENTATE OF THE THISTLE DOWNS, LORD OF THE BECALMED LANDS, THE FAIR-FACED MASTER OF THE SOUTHERN DRIFTS, BOW BEFORE YOUR LORD-TO-BE-AND-MINE, PRINCE SEIVVVVVVVV!" With a flourish it gestures to the tall, elegant man garbed in impeccably tailored white furs, sewn into a crisp military uniform. His long white-blue hair trails like a banner from under a rounded fur cap perched between pointed ears as he is carried along by the floating mass of flesh, without a drop of gore staining his spotless suit. He was holding his hands clasped behind his back, but he raises one gently at the elbow and effects a delicate wave of his gloved fingers. He takes in the sight of everyone below and gently bites his lip as though in eager anticipation. His eyes flash with dazzling excitement.

Spoiler: OOC & Rolls
    Show
    Prince Seiv has arrived! The [insert list of titles here] is attempting to use his (in his mind) dazzling entrance to...entrance everyone who can see him. He is attempting to inspire a sense of adoring awe in his audience, to better use them to his ends. He is also invoking his Beguiling Idyll to do so. Resisting his roll will require three willpower instead of one, though touching iron, or having someone point out to you 'giving a Rakshasa prince your adoration is a good way to get your soul stolen' will reduce this cost by one WP each.

Show
    (13d10)[7][8][1][5][7][6][9][3][3][3][6][9][7](74)
    -Me

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

The Outlander wipes her wrist across her eyes, trying to ensure she truly is seeing what she thinks she is. This day has had more than its share of strange occurrences, but this might stand above them all. The warrior's grip upon her staff tightens as the strange creature dusts the snow with swirls of blood. Something about that alone was enough to set the Outlander tense and ready for a fight. Yet such a battle does not break out immediately: instead the two figures come into view, and the Outlander gazes up as the small one, with the fuzz and teeth introduces his perfect looking master.

Seiv is striking to the Outlander. She's not used to seeing folk dress so finely: the gloves, the crisp uniform. She glances to Walda, gesturing up at the Prince of the Thistledowns. "Is he with you too?" She waves a hand between the Flashing Blade of the Moon and the flying potentate. "He looks kinda like you. Only..." She trails off, looking up at the prince with a sigh. That energy in Seiv's gaze, that excitement... it's a feeling the Outlander could drown in, losing herself to the rush and thrill of adventure. Worry and fear have weighed upon the traveller for a while, but here and now, she could just fade away...

Spoiler
    Show
    I am kinda tempted to have Outlander fail this. Let's let the dice decide. Stunt, add her intimacy against killing due to the mount's blood spray having 'implications', and that's 8 Resolve.
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2019-08-22 at 04:18 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39

BlueWizardGirl

Walda looks up, quite thoroughly distracted from his fight with the female stranger by the grandiose entrance of Prince Seiv (and his herald and mount).

"What? No, he's not with me!" he replies to his opponent's accusation. He's initially indignant, but...

…but he can see why she would draw the comparison. While he can feel his heart soaring with sudden admiration for the impeccably dressed prince, the rational elements of his brain (such as they are) can recognize just what the man is doing. This sort of showmanship... it's a trick right out of his own playbook.

That doesn't mean it's not a good trick, but... dammit! Waldaharjaz is done bowing to any "lord," at least any lord who can't prove his strength by putting on more than a good show.

Show
    EDIT: Wait, wait, I was reminded that Intimacies are a thing: Major Principle: "Never submit to another without a fight" applies here.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2019-08-21 at 10:05 PM.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40

MonkGirl

As Adorei's eyes follow the Fae prince, he feels a tug on his psyche from behind. "Don't fall for it, nephew! I've seen his type before. No matter how handsome, their souls are wicked. They are duplicitous backstabbers, don't give him a chance!" Deeper down, he feels another voice stirring.

H͞e҉re ͡an̸d ͠th͟e͜r̷e u͝p an̴d d͜own
    s̀h͠a̵t͟te͜red̢ ̀ưpon the alt̡er̶ ҉ǫf͝ i̵n͘noc͘ȩn̛c͜e
    ͢a̸ge ͠w҉ith͝o̸u̸t w̧isd̢om̧
    r͠a͡ts skitter̴i͘ng ͏from̶ ̵t͟he fl͡a̕mes̕
    ̀th͡e i̷ro͢n̛! ͜th̷e̕ iron!

The Moonblades freeze, heads turning to follow the gory trail of the bloated, flying creature. This really might be the most bizarre thing they have seen, and that's saying a lot. The man astride the beast is a new experience too. It's not every day, or even every lifetime that you meet someone as pretty as Walda, and even his most loyal followers must admit that Prince Siev is, if anything, prettier. But Walda is their leader, and if this Siev guy wants to do more than feature in a few night-time fantasies, he'll have to do more than look pretty at them.

Show
    Adorei's WP cost is reduced by 1 to resist, thanks to uncle Aribo's influence. The Moonblades are citing their defining intimacy 'Walda is our chief, now and forever!' counting Walda's stunt, that gives them a Resolve of 7 for resisting Siev.
    Last edited by Sticks; 2019-08-21 at 10:37 PM.
    -Me

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

He was talking, his eyes steady on the weathered bestial face of the bandit gang's lieutenant until suddenly he wasn't and they weren't. Something was happening that was too big, too glorious to ignore. Adorei was mesmerized by the fae lords arrival, first in confusion and then in naked awe. His tongue was stilled, his thoughts smothered, his uncle's words distant, so very distant drums. But not all thoughts were his own, and not all voices consented to be ignored. They spoke with the sound of reality tearing, the anti-entelechy making their will known in echoes of horrible sensation. It carried on the wind, and shouted in the void between the herald's words.

̀...th͡e i̷ro͢n̛! ͜th̷e̕ iron!

His hand slipped, he felt a stinging pain in his palm that snapped him back to reality with a violent jerk. There were no silly superstitions. Words he'd had beaten into him since he was a child, part of breaking the heavy-handed brainwashing of the Immaculate Order and maintaining equality in the House. Truths hide in every rumor's shadow. There is more to a debt than money owed. There are no silly superstitions.

His guides all wore iron, carried iron knives. When he'd caught the detail, he'd bought one himself and now it was stained with his blood. He'd cut himself.

His gaze turned sharp as glass, and he looked back up at the newcomers with less charitable eyes.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    No valid intimacies, but, hey, gotta spend willpower sometime.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

"Ugh,,," The Outlander takes a step back, clutching her head. She'd lost herself for a moment there. She glances to the side, seeing the Bandit Lord still staring up at their new arrival. As quick as he'd been, Seiv's effect was enough to overcome the silver storm just as it almost had her.

Well, she should probably help with that. After a brief wave of her hand in front of his eyes, the traveller lightly jabs at Waldaharja's shoulder. "Hey, Waldawazawa! Focus!" The strange Outlander leans on her staff, grinning at the Lunar blade master. She chuckles "You don't get to give in to whatever this is after kicking me that hard in the gut, Mr. Flashing Blade of the Moon."

13. - Top - End - #43

BlueWizardGirl

"Hey!" Walda startles at the woman's punch. The swords still in his hands twitch, but then he remembers that if she'd really been intent on punching him, he'd probably be landing in a snowdrift somewhere over the horizon, not standing here glaring back at her without even so much as a bruise on his shoulder.

"It's not 'giving in' to acknowledge that a man is really pretty and dresses well!" he protests.

But... but maybe it is a bit undignified for him to gawk like this... especially in front of the Moonblades... And... he supposes that the inexplicable floating flesh monster and the clearly inhuman herald accompanying the Prince ought to be somewhat concerning.

"Maybe... I am getting a bit carried away, though,"
    he admits.

It isn't easy... it still isn't easy... but Walda closes his eyes and reaches within, drawing his pride back to the forefront. When he opens his eyes again, they burn with indignation.

He leans back and looks at Seiv again with his new eyes. He takes a deep breath and then shouts at the top of his lungs, his voice reverberating powerfully.

"HEY!"
    he shouts up at the floating popinjay, "Now that I think on it a second, DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU'RE ASKING TO BOW TO YOU?"

Like embers rising from a fire, visible motes of energy begin to rise from Walda, dancing playfully in the nonexistent breeze. The fire itself follows, flames of brilliant silver and of shadowy purple which burn but do not consume.

"CAN YOU EVEN COMPREHEND WHO IT IS YOU'RE SPEAKING TO?"

His anima mounts higher, tendrils of light and shadow spiraling up into the sky, towering opposite the airborne Seiv. The shadow reveals itself to be a beast, a stoat of magnificent size, leaping and dancing with manic energy amidst the silver flames. The shadow-stoat's mouth opens in a hiss, and its teeth are crescent moons.

"I AM WALDAHARJAZ! FLASHING BLADE OF THE MOON! AT MY BACK STANDS AN ARMY OF HARD-ASSED, BATTLE-TESTED SURVIVORS, AND AT MY SIDE A WOMAN CAPABLE OF FIGHTING EVEN A CHAMPION OF LUNA TO A STANDSTILL! BY WHAT POWER DO YOU DREAM OF COMMANDING SUCH HEROES TO KNEEL? DID YOU THINK YOU COULD JUST HAVE YOUR FLYING BLOB BLEED ON US A LITTLE AND WE'D GIVE UP? NO, FRIEND. YOU'D HAVE TO TRY HARDER THAN THAT, AND, LOOKING AT YOU? I DON'T THINK YOU HAVE THE STONES."

Walda looks up at Seiv and twirls his blades. He looks so small, from the Fae prince's lofty perch, yet his power... the manifest power of his anima is so much larger, so much grander. The defiant Lunar is no mere man, and, by his testimony, the unassuming-looking woman with the staff is hardly mortal, either. Perhaps, on this occasion, the Fair-Faced Master of the Southern Drifts has, in fact, bitten off more than he can chew?

Spoiler: OOC and Roll
    Show
    I... may be overreaching here. But it's too late for me to ask, which means it's too late for Sticks to tell me no.

First off, Walda is spending 2 WP (cost reduced by the Outlander's cajoling) to resist the awe effect.

Then, the suddenly indignant Walda is attempting to put the fear of Walda in Prince Seiv and his entourage. Specifically, he's trying to Instill a Minor Intimacy of Fear on Seiv, the hobgoblin herald, and also the blob if it's sapient. I'm rolling Charisma + Presence, but I'm hoping that my description of Walda's anima is enough of a stunt to add Appearance to the dice cap. The roll is enhanced by Argent Songbird Voice (2m, eliminates the multiple-target influence penalty), Terrifying Bestial Visage (5m, adds 3 dice, anyone who is affected by this influence has to pay 1 wp if they want to attack Walda, and their Join Battle roll is penalized by -1 if they do), Feral Smile Tactic (3m, doubles 9s), and 4m of Excellency, all out of Peripheral Essence (total expenditure: 14 motes).

Additionally... I suspect you're not supposed to be able to invoke this for free on the same action which takes you to bonfire anima, but if I can apply it for free, I'd be a fool not to apply this Changing Moon anima effect: "For five motes, the Changing Moon lends her words hypnotic allure, guaranteeing anyone who perceive her will hear her out as she makes a single influence roll, adding (Essence/2, rounded up) non-Charm dice. A character who wishes to leave or interrupt her before she’s finished must spend one Willpower to resist for the scene. This power’s cost is Mute, and is waived at bonfire anima." I'll roll a non-Charm die separately, just in case.

Show
    Dice Walda is definitely entitled to: (16d10)[9][6][6][1][3][9][7][4][10][6][10][9][2][1][8][2](93), double 9s.
    Bonus dice if Walda's Appearance 5 exceeds the target's *base* Resolve, one for each point of difference: (4d10)[5][7][1][5](18)
    Bonus die if the Changing Moon bonfire anima effect applies: (1d10)[3](3)
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Decks, with his fur standing on end, follows the strange beast’s path. Its blood stains the chickweed at the Lunar’s feet. When Decks speaks again, his words come out with an involuntary hiss.

“That’s what you want me to protect you from.” Amber eyes narrow, and nostrils widened as the cat took a whiff of the scent of blood. Underneath the coppery tang, a coy, overly sweet smell assaulted Decks’ nose, and his body rocks as he sneezed violently. His tongue swipes across his nose, trying to clear out the sickly sweetness. “If you can get me above it, I will knock that Wyld creature down.”

Decks flexes his claws, his eyes shining brightly with eagerness to return to the fight shone

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

The Outlander glances around, trying to find the woman Walda is talking about. Did he have yet more allies hiding somewhere or other? She gives up after a brief look, returning her attention to Seiv. She can worry about the Bandit King after they're done with seeing what the Prince of the Eiderdowns is after.

16. - Top - End - #46

MonkGirl

The Whirlwind

The voices are weak, but they hold a touch of amusement. "In this, we may help. Step into the whirlwind."

When Decks does as he is instructed, the winds lift him off his feet. He finds he can move freely within the flying snow as it carries him over the ridge, west towards the distant hills, north to the deep tundra, east over the trees, and back south again to the ridge. He circles the whirlwind once, twice, thrice, gets his bearings, and launches himself out into the air over the battlefield, his target in sight.

The Lake

Prince Siev's eyes harden. He brings his other hand out from behind his back and idly tosses a white soapstone back and fourth between his palms. The hobgoblin cackles wickedly.

"Oh dear, my lord is...most displeased! He shall want to make an example of you...well, at least until the rest of you see the folly of your ways and kneel. You were right my lord, dominating these beasts would come in handy! IT IS TIME!"

From all around the battlefield, there is the sound of crunching ice. Massive ursine shapes pull themselves dripping from the fissures. One bursts through right between the Outlander and Walda, yeddim bellow as cracks begin to threaten the sledges. Siev's servants claw their way out, seeking to grab anyone near to hand and drag them below.

Show
    Siev's servants have joined! Four Northern Ursidae have climbed out of the ice and are attacking. One is between Outlander, the second is attacking Adorei's sledge, and another two are among the moonblades. Siev's flying beast is climbing to long range above ground, and Decks is hurtling through the air towards all of this.

Decks may choose to alter his trajectory to attack any of the four Water Bears, or may go for Siev, though the latter will require some creative stunting.

The Water Bear's Join battle is as follows:
    WB1: (7d10)[6][5][7][10][10][7][8](53) +3
    WB2: (7d10)[1][2][8][4][3][6][8](32) +3
    WB3: (7d10)[1][4][1][6][1][2][5](20) +3
    WB4: (7d10)[10][9][3][8][6][2][5](43) +3
    -Me

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Okay. So he's a monster Prince. The Outlander braces as the ground starts to crack and tremble, locking eyes with Waldaharjaz. There's no smile now: this is risking a lot of lives, they should both take it seriously. "Keep your people safe. I'll go for the sled train, catch up with you once it's clear."

Still, there's a part of her that really wants to thumb her nose at the prince. Something about the way he'd almost drawn her in just made the Outlander's skin crawl.

As such, the strange woman places a hand into her jacket pocket, while calling up towards Seiv. "Hey, sparkle prince? You're not that special." With a grin, she withdraws her own white shard of stone, holding it up for the Fae Lord. With a flick, she tosses it a few inches skyward, just enough to toy with the noble - before clasping it in her clecnhed first and blinking away in an instant as the first of the bears starts to close on Walda.

Moving faster than the eye can track, the Outlander is soon by the encircled sledge train, leaping into the air. Even as the shaggy furred creature starts to rise above the ground, the stranger is descending on the creature like a falling star. She turns its claw aside with her battered staff, before stomping down with one foot, then another. A few kicks have the water bear starting to be driven back into the splintered ice, still submerged with the expedition team out of its reach.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thunderclap Rush Attack (which lets me act out of turn) to reflexively move towards the bear close to the sledge train, and then make a Withering attack with Iron Battle Focus stripping the Water Bear of 5 total Soak. Will roll base damage, and add any more needed in the OOC. If you don't buy this justification to keep the guy away from Adorei's guys, I'll use War Lion Stance on them when his attack comes up.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    (16d10)[8][10][5][9][4][1][6][5][3][6][10][10][5][9][9][7](107) Dex + Brawl + Speciality + Stunt - Wound Penalty
    (10d10)[3][6][6][4][1][4][2][5][9][3](43) Damage
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2019-08-28 at 08:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

BlueWizardGirl

Show
    For clarification, Walda's action should be happening on tick 8 (assuming WB1 doesn't do any Withering damage to him first. ^^)

The sudden appearance of monstrous bears in their midst might shake any army's confidence, yet the core of the Moonblades, the wolvermen who trained under the harsh tutelage of Pellervo the Fierce, have sparred with greater beasts than this. All of the Moonblades serve a greater beast than these, and those in the front ranks can see his smile still gleaming. His erstwhile enemy, the mighty stranger, may have left him standing alone against one of the beasts, but he is unfazed, he is defiant. If his comrades are to call themselves fellow champions of Luna, how could they show any lesser bravery?

"'ware the cracks in the ice!" a cry goes up, a practical caution obeyed with the ease of long familiarity with Northern climes. The Moonblades heed their footing carefully as they backpedal away from the emerging bears' reaching claws.

"Encircle them!" Zheng shouts, her clear and practiced voice of command cutting through the army's confusion.

The Moonblades' grasp of strategy is more intuitive than intellectual, but their instincts are deeply ingrained, their reactions swift. They seize on Zheng's idea, translating thought into motion; the bandit army's ranks reform around the bears in their midst, their singing steel turning inward. The water bears are encompassed by a wall of blades, constrained and beaten back.

Containment is the first step. Eradication, Luna willing, will soon follow.

Show
    Battle Group Withering attack against both bears in the Moonblades' midst. (And hypothetically any other adjacent bears, but I'm assuming the others are meant to be out of easy reach of the army.)
    Show
    Attack: (13d10)[3][8][1][6][1][6][8][3][2][4][5][4][6](57)
    Damage (base 16, minimum 2): (16d10)[8][7][5][6][3][5][9][1][1][7][3][5][4][4][2][7](77)
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49

MonkGirl

There is little that can directly threaten a northern ursidae in its own habitat. Other ursidae, mammoths, northern saika, and in every case, their size is what makes them a threat. This general equation of size equaling threat usually serves the water bears well, so when the opportunistic hunter spies a yeddim, it makes a fairly logical leap of reasoning. That big thing is a greater threat than these little things in front of me. I need to threaten it first.

With a bellowing roar, the Ursidae rears up, bringing both webbed front-claws down onto Walda, trying to bash the lunar aside. Then is takes off, charging the Yeddim bearing Adorei. With luck, the big beast will run right into a weak patch of ice and fall in, where it will be easy prey for the water bears.

Show
    Okay, the Water Bear is making a decisive attack against Walda, then making a Roaring Charge at the Yeddim. The Ursidae makes a miscellaneous intimidate action as part of its movement to harry the Yeddim into running. If it succeeds, the Yeddim will reflexively move one range band, and the Ursidae gains one dice on its next attack vs. everyone who witnessed the charge.

Show

Attack Roll: (8d10)[3][7][9][7][3][8][4][8](49)
    Damage: (9d10)[7][4][10][2][3][7][2][9][6](50)
    Forgot to flurry the miscellaneous action with the attack, so we're just gonna subtract from the left here. Disregard the first three results.

Intimidate check vs. the Yeddim's Resolve (2)
    (7d10)[2][10][9][10][9][2][3](45)

The Yeddim lets out an answering bellow and begins trundling away from the Ursidae, dragging one of the three sledges and a perturbed Nellens scion as well.
    Last edited by Sticks; 2019-09-01 at 07:52 PM.
    -Me

20. - Top - End - #50

BlueWizardGirl

Like his wolvermen comrades, Waldaharjaz, too, trained with Pellervo the Fierce. He learned his sword from the veteran Lunar, and he did not practice his techniques solely against his sifu's human form. The claws of a bear, even a bear as massive and monstrous as those summoned by Prince Siev, are weapons, the same as any sword or axe...

...and Walda's swords, however ancient and refined in manufacture, are themselves the claws and teeth of a beast.

He meets the ursidae blade to blade and claw to claw. His hook daiklaves catch the sickle claws of the monstrous bear and deflect them, shoving the creature's webbed paws off course. Walda buys just enough space so that amphibious beast's forelimbs crash down on either side of him, leaving him untouched...

...or at least, that's his intention. If he's quick enough, if he's strong enough. He trusts to his body, to his skill, to Luna's grace. If that's not enough, he can do no more.

Show
    Okay, stunting a Parry. Invoking Agile Beast Defense for 1m (under these circumstances, it'll be +1 Defense if the enemy's attack roll contains any 1s) and adding +1 Defense with the Dexterity Excellency for 2m. That'll be a minimum of Parry 8 (assuming a 1-point stunt and no 1s in the Ursidae's attack roll).
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51

BlueWizardGirl

Show
    As a reminder, the Ursidae missing a Decisive attack with its Initiative in the 1-10 range means that it loses 2 Initiative.

Walda laughs as his plan succeeds, as he escapes another brush with death unscathed... and his elation quickly turns to indignation as the monstrous bear turns away from him to chase after a yeddim instead.

A yeddim, a more worthy opponent than one of Luna's Chosen? Unthinkable! He will not allow such an insult to go unpunished, even if the offending party is but a simple animal.

"These mutant bears are witless! Artless!" he shouts, loud enough to be heard over the bellowing of beasts and all the myriad sounds of an army in battle. In his stance, his bearing, his expression, he shows no trace of fear. "Strike them down, my Moonblades! Strike without fear or hesitation! Let me show you how!"

He races after the same bear which tried (and failed) to strike at him, whipping his blades through the air at his side, building momentum behind their cruelly hooked tips.

Those points he buries in the bear's flank, blessed moonsilver punching through the bear-beast's thick outer layer of hide and fat as surely as any butcher's hook through a carcass ready to be hung. Walda grins as he snares the creature... he feels sure the distinction between the two sides of that simile, bear and carcass, will soon be eradicated. Only a matter of time.

For now he plants his feet as best he can on the surface of the icy lake and pulls, pulls with all his god-blest might, trying to blunt the momentum of the bear-thing's charge and to draw its attention away from the senseless yeddim and back to himself.

As he strains against the beast, he allows himself the indulgence of glancing to his men and flashing them a pearly smile. He's enjoying this struggle, he tells them. He's a hero. They, his comrades, can be heroes too, every one.

He'll worry about the cost of that lesson later.

Show
    As it happens, Walda is also Flurrying two actions, though he'll use Cunning Beast-Warrior Reflexes (2m) to reduce the penalty on each flurried action by 1 and to ignore the flurry Defense penalty.

He's making an Appearance+War Order action to command the Moonblades to attack the bears. Successes on this roll will add dice to their attack roll against the bears on their next turn.
    Show
    (8d10)[10][7][5][2][9][4][10][2](49)

He's also reflexively closing the distance to water-bear 1 and making a Withering attack.
    Show
    Attack: (13d10)[3][4][5][1][8][10][3][7][5][6][3][8][6](69)
    Damage (base 17, modified by soak and extra successes on the attack roll, minimum 4 dice): (17d10)[2][10][10][8][7][4][4][8][1][7][8][8][2][9][6][6][9](109)
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

More impressive by far than the assassins that stalked the dynastic mansions, Adorei had always found, were the stage-hands working their plays and operas. They almost didn't need to sneak - by dint of clothing and the consent of the audience they were invisible, walking unseen in plain sight. When he'd first seen it as a child he'd been astonished, and even moreso when his nurse explained the trick. It boggled his mind that people, dynasts, could choose to be ignorant and ignore the evidence of their eyes in favor of bright and shiny things placed front and center.

It was a very important lesson.

Between the prince, so glorious and terrible, and the Anathema, so proud and powerful, all eyes were drawn center-stage to the main players. It was the simplest thing in the world for Adorei to just... step sideways. Out of sight and out of mind. Moving swiftly, dancing behind men and the cover of drifts of snow thrown in the air by errant gusts, he fetched up against one of the Yeddim and vanished in its fur. His heart was pounding, he had to fight not to peek out to see if anyone had noticed him. This was it, this wasn't a game or one of his uncle's interminable tests. He was sweating despite the cold. What should he do? Fight the fey, alongside the anathema? The reverse? Or wait, and help the winner?

The ten thousand locusts grinned with their whispers, the cadence growing louder in time with his heart. Let the fey and the anathema fight - the men of House Nellens may survive to see this through yet.

Spoiler: Charms
    Show
    "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players..."

Attempting to re-establish stealth with a full excellency (4m from Personal), Flowing Shadow Stance (2m) (re-roll sixes until they cease to appear, Adorei gains 1 initiative if successful), and Nothing But Shadows (3m) (all enemies with lower initiative than Adorei take a -3 to their opposed roll). If this is successful, Adorei will reflexively activate Ebon Shadow Form (8m).

Show
    (15d10)[3][1][1][9][6][9][2][3][7][5][1][10][3][5][8](73)

23. - Top - End - #53

MonkGirl

The Ursidae charging the Yeddim howls with frustration as Walda's dancing blades slash along its fur, disrupting its charge and worrying its sides. The water Bear facing the Outlander huffs in frustration, distracted by the unexpected resistance of these small creatures. This is nowhere as simple as capsizing a boat or ambushing a seal.

High above, Siev's attention is fixed on the Outlander. He smiles beatifically as his servant capers about. "Oh wonderful! If his Lordship cannot have them as servants, at least he'll have more of those lovely stones, and the power they possess!"

Show
    Adorei's stealth roll managed to penalize the bears and Siev, so they're all rolling at -3 dice.
    Siev: (9d10)[8][8][8][5][2][8][2][4][2](47)
    WB1: (2d10)[7][8](15)
    WB2: (2d10)[9][9](18)

Out in the field, the Ursidae are growing angry. These small creatures are supposed to run and die, not fight with their small frames and wicked sharp metal claws. One of them snaps at the offending Moonblades, seeking to drive them back.

Show
    The Ursidae is making a withering attack against the Moonblades.
    (8d10)[4][2][2][2][1][6][3][3](23)
    Withering damage: (15d10)[1][10][5][4][8][2][2][9][3][7][6][1][5][10][2](75)

With an overzealous lunge, the bear's claws skid on a dropped leather shield and it splays in an ungainly mess on the ice, prone.

At the Caravan, the half-submerged Ursidae roars defiantly as The Outlander taunts its...master? Was that what the floating pale creature was? It was important, anyway. Releasing the sledge, the water bear lunged a paw forward, trying to gain purchase on the glowing woman's shifting clothes.

Show
    The Ursidae is making a Grapple Gambit against The Outlander, attempting to pull her into the freezing water. After Valin has the opportunity to stunt Defense, I will make the control roll in the OOC.

Show
    (5d10)[2][2][6][4][9](23)
    Last edited by Sticks; 2019-09-04 at 12:48 PM.
    -Me

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

The Outlander might not be the mightiest figure on this battleground, but she's far from weak, and even with the grogginess of her earlier fight still lingering with her, far from slow. The Ursidae's paw is batted back by a swift sweeping motion of her staff, the traveller standing proud and the water bear's charge carrying it gracelessly away from its would be victim..

Spoiler
    Show
    Dipping Swallow Defense, to nullify Walda's Onslaught penalty, plus a stunt pushing this to 8. If successful, Outlander gains one Initative.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

When Decks steps into the winds, he feels his feet lift off the spring foliage. Snow flurries around his face and obscures his view. Decks squints to see the current state of the battle he was so rudely punted away from. The localized storm brought him much higher than Decks anticipated; below him, he could see the strange bleeding creature with two figures standing upon its back. Even farther below, Decks notices everyone dealing with attacking water-bears.

Glancing back at the two figures overlooking the fighting, Decks notices the one dressed in crisp white clothes and furs. A feral grin forms on Decks’ face as he crouches, the muscles in his legs bunching and tensing in anticipation. Narrowed amber eyes trace a planned route for his return to solid ground.

Pupils dilate, and Decks leaps from the supportive wind currents. Legs swinging forward for a brief landing on Prince Seiv’s shoulders so that the leopard man use the Raksha as a springboard for a forward flip. Claws flash and slash across Seiv’s face mid-flip. Decks lands on all fours, red flecks color the white snow around his hands.

“I don’t think you were invited.”

Show
    Okay, Sticks want me to roll an Athletics + Dexterity Roll for my movement.
    Dexterity 5 + Athletics 3 + Stunt 2 – Flurry penalty 3 + Excellencies 6 = 10 dice
    Spoiler
    Show
    (5d10)[3][1][5][2][9](20)
    (5d10)[7][4][8][4][6](29)

Now for the withering attack!
    Spoiler: Attack Roll
    Show
    (4d10)[7][2][2][10](21)
    (4d10)[4][1][3][6](14)
    (4d10)[8][8][10][2](28)

Spoiler: Damage Roll
    Show
    Overwhelming 1
    (4d10)[10][5][10][5](30)
    (4d10)[7][4][6][8](25)
    (4d10)[4][8][8][8](28)
    (3d10)[10][7][5](22)
    (3d10)[3][5][8](16)

26. - Top - End - #56

MonkGirl

A look of dawning horror flits across Siev's beautiful face. He is faced with a terror only known by those who live in the wilds among the beasts, or live in homes with high shelves and several cats. Decks comes flying out of the storm, claws bared, hurtling towards the Fae Prince, and it is all he can do to make throwing himself to the 'deck' of his flying steed look graceful. The hobgoblin begins shrieking its head off as the floating beast, still bleeding, begins bucking wildly. Siev may have missed having his throat slashed, but his crisp uniform is now smeared with blood.

Show
    Decks missed, just, but made Siev look foolish. I'm also calling that a 2-die stunt, so take a WP, Mal.

On the ground, the battle rages on. One of the water-bears hears the misfortune of its kin, but there's blood in the air and that is a smell that cannot be ignored. It lays into the Moonblades all around, trying to make space so it can pick its prey more easily.

Show
    WB3 is making a withering attack against the Moonblades with its claws.
    Show
    Attack roll:
    (12d10)[3][9][10][3][6][2][3][7][10][2][8][3](66)
    Damage roll:
    (11d10)[6][9][2][10][3][6][10][2][9][10][9](76)
    -Me

27. - Top - End - #57

BlueWizardGirl

Show
    My Charm usage on Walda's turn depends in part on whether he needs to Rally the Moonblades, so I'll stunt that defense first.

"Brace! Hold firm! Hold firm!"

The Moonblades raise their shields against the sweeping paws of the monstrous bear, bracing against each other for strength. The creature might lift and hurl any one of them through the air, but with all of them banded together? Standing together, they stand firm, a force too great for even a wyld-beast to displace.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2019-09-09 at 08:47 PM.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58

BlueWizardGirl

Waldaharjaz is briefly distracted by the feline meteor streaking across the sky, a projectile which delivers a blow to, if nothing else, Siev's ego.

"Was that the Lunar you punched?" he shouts across the battlefield at the stranger with whom he sparred.

He doesn't wait for an answer, though; he has a stroppy bear to deal with.

"Sir Bear... allow me to demonstrate why you should've been worried about this little human all along."

He steps inside the water-bear's reach, his blades spinning and flashing around him. Using the back of his swords, he delivers swift cuts, simply slashing, not hooking and tearing, to its "wrists" and to the inside of its "elbows." He smirks at the uncomprehending beast.

"Unfortunately for you, it's a lesson that you'll learn... too late."

Reaching up, he then snares the gill-flaps on either side of the water bear's neck with his hooks and yanks downward with all his strength.

Show
    Okay, I'm making a Decisive attack against Water-Bear 1, enhancing the attack with Prey-Hobbling Bite (4m) and 2m on the Dexterity Excellency (6m total). If this attack deals damage, this bear will suffer a -1 Crippling penalty to all its rolls for the remainder of the scene, with that penalty increased by 1 for every 10 in my decisive damage roll, up to a maximum of -5. And see, Valin? I could've done worse things to the Outlander than a sticky Onslaught penalty!
    Show
    Attack: (14d10)[5][9][3][1][6][6][7][6][2][2][2][5][5][4](63)
    Damage: (17d10)[9][1][4][9][1][2][1][3][3][3][5][10][2][9][3][8][7](80)
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

MonkGirl

Show
    WB1 is still carrying an onslaught penalty from the previous round, so Walda's attack hits, just. That's six health levels of damage to the Ursidae, who now had a -2 crippling penalty, and a -1 from its wound penalties. Also it's still crashed, but still in the fight.

The Ursidae roars in pain and fixes bloodshot eyes on Walda. It sees now where the real threat is.
    -Me

30. - Top - End - #60

BlueWizardGirl

"Strike back! Strike hard! For Luna! For Her champions! For yourselves!" Wrek roars, personally leading the charge against one of the two bears mired amidst the Moonblades. "Follow Walda's example, and prove that we are heroes all!"

A wordless shout goes up all throughout the bandit-soldiers' ranks, and they assail the monster bears from every side. Though they are mere mortals, wielding weapons of simple steel, the weight of numbers is on their side, and their morale rides high on the back of Walda's inspiration. Their onslaught may well be more than the beasts can handle.

Show
    Battle Group Withering attack against both water-bears within the area occupied by the Moonblades. +6 dice from Walda's Order action (the first and last Order he will ever flurry) and +2 dice from stunt, so... this may be a doozy.
    Show
    Attack: (19d10)[9][7][4][7][5][1][2][7][10][5][9][4][6][4][5][4][10][10][2](111)
    Damage (base 16, minimum 2): (20d10)[9][3][6][9][5][8][1][9][5][4][6][8][3][3][1][9][7][2][1][3](102)

Please note that I got optimistic and preemptively rolled extra damage dice, it will definitely take Math to figure out what happened here.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show