New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Curse of Strahd Chapter 1: The Dark Lord Strahd

Not every animal, Kyran. These could have easily just gotten wind of Vassili's blood. Regardless, we should hurry back to the... Ireena looks around. So which way did you come? And where's your little friend? she adds talking about Sprocketbox. The gnome was last seen calming himself with a piece of pie. You assume he is back at the beaten path, waiting for you.

Meanwhile Kouran heals the horse's wounds. The animal does not trust its wounded leg and holds one leg up as if it were injured. Ireena refuses the healing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Vassili takes 4 points out of your pool. Also this is where Survival, Animal Handling andand similar skills (like Nature) come in.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

"Maybe I can figure out how many of them are tracking us, and possibly of anything else that hungers for prey."

Spoiler
    Show

Drastia attempts to observe her surroundings for footprints and hostile wildlife.

Survival Check (1d20+5)[15]

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

There are wolves in the area, but it seems no larger predators are present. As you check the various tracks you notice a distinct lack of easy prey animals like stags or similar.

About wolves, you know they tend to scour their territory in solitude. They hunt small game for themselves but they use pack tactics for larger prey. You assume a bunch of wolves will be presented within a few minutes, if you're not being watched already.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Clover looks about. It was true that the little one had vanished, unnervingly. He shivers, cursing himself for not paying better attention, and offers, "Perhaps we should get back to the main road, at least."

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

"That's as good a destination as any other, I think. Let us be off," Kouran gestured anxiously back the way they'd come. The wolf's howl reminded him uncomfortably of the night his party found themselves in this cursed world to begin with, and he was under no illusions that the werewolves of Barovia would be any easier to fight.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

As you track back to the ambush, you see a small pink lump on the ground. Upon closer inspection, you see that this is Sprocketbox. He is sleeping, and clutches the empty dish in which he carried the pie. You try to wake him but to no avail. Worse, the wolf howling multiplies after a few moments, and comes from different directions. You hear a bloodcurdling loud howl. It sounds like the alpha, but it is sure it is a big creature.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

"I guess it's a good time as any to draw blood." Drastia says with an arrow notched in her bow.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran curses, "He figured that now was a good time to eat a sleep inducing pie? What was he thinking? Get the horse secured, we really don't need him running off again. Its a little late to run, they've already surrounded us."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Clover shakes his head, bows over and lifts the sleeping form up over his shoulder, noting, "Alright, love, time to wake up now!"

No response, Clover sighs. Carrying him to a nearby tree, the faun sets the little man up in one of the lower branches, before returning arrow to bow and scanning the twilit horizon for their oncoming foes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gonna move Sprocketbox to some degree of safety.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

You can make out a few shadows at the hillside (you travelled downhill) but it seems that the wolves didn't commit to an attack yet. Ireena looks at your nervously. You can't be serious to fight these things. What if Strahd appears again?

Spoiler: DC 10 Wisdom check (Survival/Nature)
    Show
    It seems the wolves have underestimated the size of your group. Regardless they're probably interested in the smallest such as Sprocket, and in prey animals such as Vassili.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

"If he appears again we'll do what we can. And from what I see what we can do is survive."

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

"If they decide to chase us, we can hardly outrun wolves. Let's keep moving until they either give up the chase or decide to attack, but not to wear ourselves out. If we run in haste I daresay they'd split us up or herd us into a trap."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, you lot might have trouble outrunning them anyway!" Clover calls back playfully, slapping his furred thigh as he does so. Reaching back up among the branches, he removes Sprocketbox from where he had just seated the gnome. Hauling him over to Vassili, the satyr, as graciously as he is able, lays him over the horse's hind and lashes him to the saddle. He chuckles, shaking his head as he pats the gnome's sleeping back, "It's a good thing we turned around when we did, aye, cousin?"

Spoiler: Survival check
    Show
    (1d20+2)[17]

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

After a few minutes of intense staring, you hear a quite loud and intense howl. Your heads turn, as do the wolves'. The pack suddenly retreats. You catch but a glimpse of a bigger wolf with glowing red eyes. As you can gauge he is twice as big as the regular wolves. He gives you a deathly stare before retreating into the wilds for easier prey.

Spoiler
    Show

You hurriedly continue the path down towards the Vistani settlement, you encounter a troubled wanderer. You see a white haired man in his late sixties, balding with an unkempt beard. With a creaky voice, he shouts at you. YOU STOLE IT! His hands make a few occult gestures, and suddenly you're frozen in time. Unable to move, you can just look on as he approaches your frozen bodies and searches your bags. He is particularly interested in Sprocketbox' belongings. Frustrated he cannot deceiver his tiny mage's spellbook, he summons a flame in his hand to consume it. But he rummages in Drastia's bags, keeping the draught of courage in his right As you feel yourself being able to move again, you cannot act before he decides to summon the mists to blink out of existence a good two dozen feet away.

Spoiler
    Show

Where is my book? You must have hidden it. And my staff. he clamors expectantly.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

"...what? What the devil are you talking about?" Kouran felt outrage rising, but he tried to push the edge back out of his voice given the display of power they'd all been subjected to. "I think there's been some kind of misunderstanding, sir."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

WHAT DEVIL?! Why Strahd of course. I fought him. I lost. I lost my book, and now you have it stolen. To bring to your master Strahd. I know worthless minions when I see them. He glances at Clover, then looks at Kouran and Drastia. Damn elves and their animal friends.

The confused wizard pushes back his very long sleeves to be able to move his hands more freely.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

"We're not his minions and I don't know what gave you that idea. We were just dropped into this place a few days ago."

Spoiler
    Show

Persuasion, in case it'll help: (1d20+5)[19]

18. - Top - End - #288
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

"We're here to stop Strahd. " Drastia says, trying to hide her contempt at this deranged thief and baseless accuser.
    Last edited by Wind-Up Citrus; 2020-01-12 at 09:17 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Clover frowns, and calls, "Oi, am I'm not an animal, neither!"

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Dropped here? Hah. Though that does seem like Strahd, pulling hapless adventurers in. The mage lowers his arms, his hands covered by his long sleeves yet again. You can see a glimpse of clarity. So, why are you carrying a dead gnome through the woods now, if you are ROBBERS AND MURDERERS?! the old man shrieks then, pointing at Sprocketbox.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran grits his teeth, "He's not dead, he ate a bit of dream pie at the wrong moment. By the way, that was his spellbook you burned up. You owe him another one."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-01-15 at 06:09 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

You see the wizard in a moment of contemplation. His mind races to put the facts together. Soon his eyes glaze over and he cramps, holding his head in his arms.

N.....nooo. You. lie. he gasps.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    You see the wizard in a moment of contemplation. His mind races to put the facts together. Soon his eyes glaze over and he cramps, holding his head in his arms.

N.....nooo. You. lie. he gasps.
    "See for yourself." Drastia says. "Examine our good friend who you wronged."

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

Kouran looked closely at the old man, looking for any sign that he might be under an enchantment—as opposed to run-of-the-mill insanity.

Spoiler
    Show

Insight, if applicable: (1d20+2)[10]

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Kouran cannot place the source of insanity. But insane the man is. So I should come closer so you can stab me? Tough luck. When I cannot get you to help me, I can shut up your arcanist for the time being. The mage snaps his fingers. Sprocketbox begins to glow a sickly green hue, and slowly you see his form turn a pale grey. His features become more distinct and he becomes heavier.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

"What did you do to him? And what do you want?"

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Oh you'll see soon enough! the old man laughs as he sprints away, turning into a majestic elk in full galopp. Sprocket's features harden and his skin turns to granite. The small person suddenly is incredibly heavy.
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-01-21 at 12:54 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

"Son of a mutt!"

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

"OOF," Clover gasps, buckling under the weight of Sprocketbox's stone form. He sets the gnome statue again against a nearby tree, stroking his beard as he sighs, "Alright, kick a poor guy while he's down already, I guess. Can't say that I'd do the same if I had unlocked ultimate arcane power, but I've also never done that before so hey, what do I know?"

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

"One more task for us," Kouran grimaced. "Getting him cured, if it even can be done. At least he can be left somewhere in relative safety."