New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Curse of Strahd Chapter 1: The Dark Lord Strahd

With the zombies disengaging, Kouran finally had time to tend to the wounded. He turned to the rest of the group and put away his sword. "Is your boy all right? Is anyone else hurt?"

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"His wound has closed, thank you, I don't think he will forget this any time soon however. I took a few claw marks, but nothing that cannot wait given that we're not done yet."

Kyran addresses Sprocketbox then, "Vampires are tougher than mere zombies, we will want time to prepare for it, and that could easily lead to the reverse situation, with the zombies returning while we're still dealing with the bloodsucker. Besides, I want to give him a chance to come to terms with the idea that it is the right thing to do." He jerks a thumb back towards the quivering priest.

His voice softens, "Don't be too harsh with him, Donovitch is a good man, he kept hope alive for so many of us for decades, myself included. He was a strong person of faith once, and if any shred of the man I once knew and admired still remains, this town needs to have him back."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sprocketbox listens to Kouran's words and frowns. He knew mire than one story of righteous men who'd lost their way and found themselves serving darker powers. But he kept this thought to himself as he moved to the front doors of the church and closed them. Then, he looked for a lock.

"If we can get these doors sealed and force them to come at us through the side door, I have a spell that should get rid of them pretty effectively."

4. - Top - End - #124

GnomeWizardGuy

[Ooc]Edit: Double post.[/ooc]
    Last edited by gargoyleking; 2019-09-13 at 10:24 AM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that's done with, Clover thinks to himself. Sheathing his weapon, he approaches Ireena, places a large hand on her shoulder and asks, "You alright, love? Seems you took a bit of a beating there. i think I can help with that."

He picks up his set of pipes and plays a few short notes, in an effort to lift her spirits. Though, as he does so, he can't ignore his own aches and pains, and stretches the piece out into a longer melody.

Spoiler
    Show
    Clover will cast Healing Word on Ireena and activates Second Wind on himself
    Healing Word (1d4+3)[6]
    Second Wind (1d10+1)[9]

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyleking View Post
    Sprocketbox listens to Kouran's words and frowns. He knew mire than one story of righteous men who'd lost their way and found themselves serving darker powers. But he kept this thought to himself as he moved to the front doors of the church and closed them. Then, he looked for a lock.

"If we can get these doors sealed and force them to come at us through the side door, I have a spell that should get rid of them pretty effectively."
    "I could cast Heat Metal. Maybe that would help make the door harder to open?" Drastia says with a little tiredness in her voice. "But that would come at a cost to my lightning since both require my concentration."

Drastia then puts her storm cloud above the chapel. "There. At least then we got some protection in the meantime. Also don't want to scare the locals. Well more than I think they'd be used to."
    Last edited by Wind-Up Citrus; 2019-09-13 at 10:07 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Kouran took a moment to look around, and couldn't come up with any better suggestions. "I like the barricade idea. Drastia, keep the storm going—I doubt they'd worry about their hands getting burned. Someone come with me to reinforce the door to the side chamber, the rest of us get the wounded inside and barricade the main door."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Kyran's pep talk has not fully inspired Donovich but at least the old priest has stopped shaking and pointed you towards using the pews as make shift barricades. They are pretty heavy, made from ash, but you manage to put three of them in front of the main door. You see that the doors are made from oak as well but the hinges are what makes you doubt it could survive an enduring onslaught.

Do not worry about my son. Strahd purposely send him here in a weakened state. He is here to remind me of our powerlessness, not to kill anyone. As Donovich calms down his face once again becomes a mask of indifference but now you know how to look between the cracks. I know Doru is dead. I know it is not my fault. But I also know I am powerless to stop the Dark Lord. So I did what I had to. I banished him to this basement so he would not hurt my dear village. You hear a bit of warmth and empathy coming back to Donovich's voice as he talks about Barovia.

As you work to protect yourselves, you wait a few minutes. As no zombie horde shows up, Kolyan's body begins to twitch as a raven flies into the chapel, perching itself on a support beam.
    A familiar royal voice speaks to you, this time through Kolyan. So you have survived and protected my dear Tatyana too. You are truly fun playthings. he adresses the lot of you. If you wish to see Ismark again, you have to come to Castle Ravenloft. Oh Tatyana, my bride. If you just weren't so unruly I would not have to resort to such methods. The corpse looks at Ireena who is frozen in shock and disgust.

9. - Top - End - #129

GnomeWizardGuy

Sprocketbox takes one look at the mostly frozen corpse, speaking in Strahd's voice and then up at the raven. "Oh, I think I see how this works..."

Raising his staff, the gnome took aim at the bird with a blast of frost.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ray of Frost: 1d20+5 19 1d8 2

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    As you work to protect yourselves, you wait a few minutes. As no zombie horde shows up, Kolyan's body begins to twitch as a raven flies into the chapel, perching itself on a support beam.
    A familiar royal voice speaks to you, this time through Kolyan. So you have survived and protected my dear Tatyana too. You are truly fun playthings. he adresses the lot of you. If you wish to see Ismark again, you have to come to Castle Ravenloft. Oh Tatyana, my bride. If you just weren't so unruly I would not have to resort to such methods. The corpse looks at Ireena who is frozen in shock and disgust.
    Drastia clenches her fists in anger. "What kind of groom treats their own in such a manner?!"

Upon seeing what Sprocketbox has done, Drastia decides to join in with her own lightning bolt.

Spoiler
    Show
    Drastia summons a call lightning bolt down on the Raven

A creatures within 5 feet must take a dex save. Takes 3d10 Lightning Damage. Success takes half damage.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

The raven is hit by the bolt of ice and falls down dead. Similarly, a bolt of lightning crashes down on the house, exploding in a thunderous roar throughout the whole building. You all are stunned for a few brief seconds.

The corpse then continues. You think you are clever, but you are not. These critters are mere messengers, but I am at peace for now. I have the blood of my bride close at hand, there is nothing you can do. A sinister laugh is followed by the corpse of the late burgomaster giving out and collapsing.

Ireena is faintly sobbing, with Donovich of all people consoling her. It seems Strahd will not continue his attack, as you see the undead outside dropping. The chapel falls silent, with the only sounds being Doru scratching on the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Call Lightning does not work indoors, one of the huge caveat of the spell. But it is incredibly powerful so don't discount its power.
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-09-14 at 04:27 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Once things go quiet Kyran shakes his head at Donovitch, "That's exactly the problem. You are not powerless. Oh, I don't doubt that you lack sufficient power to stop him on your own, but you used to make a difference. You made things better for all of us, until Strahd convinced you to stop. We don't need reminders from the enemy of our limitations. What he did to Doru is a reason to fight, by whatever means you can, not a reason to give up. Do you think your boy would want his remains to be the poison that ends the good you do for us? Let us lay him to rest, so that both of you might know peace."

Turning to Ireena, he quietly states, "The name he called you, Tatyana, does it mean anything?"
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-09-14 at 04:34 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

13. - Top - End - #133

Zombie

The commotion in the chapel was too much for the Kelemvorite, and Orvin found himself overwhelmed by the flurry of motion as people tried moving pews and arguing about the priest's boy in the back. He wasn't even able to offer help with the barricades, as the pain in his arm was severely disrupting his concentration. Before he could sit down to wrap a bandage around it, Strahd returned to taunt them again. Then lightning struck the building and everything went white for a moment.

Orvin waited until his ears had stopped ringing before he finally tried to make himself useful. He reached into his belt pouch and procured a pair of copper coins, placing them gently on the late burgomaster's body. His arm was still bleeding a bit, but he took care to sprinkle some of the salt he'd gotten from the tavern earlier around the corpse as he whispered a prayer. When it was finished, he glanced back up to Ireena.

"There. Strahd shouldn't bother this one any longer. At least, not for a while. We can finish burying him first, if the threat has passed, and let the other decisions wait for but a moment. I made need to look after this arm for a bit though."

Show
    Orvin casts Gentle Repose on the body of Kolyan

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Ireena goes quiet for a moment, then adresses Kyran in a state of calm shock. I'm not sure. All I know is that he came to our house some day a few months ago and demanded to see me. My father obliged, and Strahd acted like he had seen a ghost when he saw me. The lord immediately asked my father for my hand in the wedding, but my father relegated this question to me. I politely refused. Ever since Strahd hounded my father with his minions, but he stood with me until the very end. But as you all know, my father gave in, and succumbed to the stress.

As Orvin blesses the dead burgomaster's corpse, Donovich nods acceptingly. After a brief pause, he finally answers. If you are able to release Doru from this pitiful existence without danger for yourself, you may do so. But if there is any shred of a doubt you cannot do the deed, he shall imprisoned. He is my charge, and I won't allow you to fall to his bestial nature.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

"Without danger to ourselves... If one of us gets bitten, does the curse pass to the victim? Is that how it works?"

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Many of Strahd's minions feed on hapless villagers. Many of us do not return. I am unsure but I doubt Strahd would send someone able to create backup, someone able to usurp him, given enough time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Make a religion check. Sprocketbox may make an Arcana check instead, with a different DC, since the Legion who created the Scourge is an extraplanar threat rather than a religious sect.

You also get different results for the different worlds you're from.

17. - Top - End - #137

GnomeWizardGuy

Sprocketbox frowns as the corpse continues to stay animate after his killing of the raven. Still, the gnome considers the vampire's words as the corpse falls finally limp. He considers what he knows of magic an sighs. This place was too alien to him, especially the way Strahd had simply expected the dead to rise at his whim, he didn't know what to expect next. Instead, he focussed on what he could do.

"I'm not very familiar about how undead are created here, seems as though your Stahd doesn't use any methods I would recognize. But whatever the origin of what's behind that door, it needs to be dealt with now. I'll use my magic to slow it's movement, if that helps."
    Last edited by gargoyleking; 2019-09-16 at 05:44 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran shakes her head in support of Donovitch's answer, "I am uncertain, I do know a bite alone is not enough. Most of the people in this village, myself included, have been bitten at least once. We are... food for them, kept alive so that blood is always available. I think turning into another vampire can only happen if you are drained of life entirely, and even then there seems to be another factor. Regardless, it should not be of concern here."

"Right now though, I do not know about you, but I have exhausted most of the enchantments I can wield for today, and I still have a wound that needs tending to. This door has held for many nights, especially with the barricade, it will hold one more while we rest and prepare. I do not wish to test the father's condition for dealing with Doru."

"But that begs the question of what to do about Ireena and her brother. My lady, I do not know what the answer to Strahd's... obsession with you is, but I think we all have reason to doubt that giving him what he wants will end well for anyone involved."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-09-16 at 06:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

GnomeWizardGuy

Sprocketbox listens to Kyran, a speculative look on his face as certain claims seem to fall through the cracks in his logical brain. With a shrug, the gnome shakes his head.

"In my experience, if you don't deal with undead expeditiously, they can have a tendency to multiply. But then again, undead where I'm from are normally created via a series of nasty plagues. In either case, the best solution is to destroy it now rather than risk it's injuring or infecting somebody else. If your magis is used up, you may want to stay back, I have plenty of magic left in me for now."

Grinning suddenly, the gnome looks about the room. "So, who's tanking and who's the primary healer?"

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

"Regardless of why he wants you, any so called mate who constantly terrorizes and frightens you doesn't deserve your company."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

"After all we've heard, I daresay we are but sport to this bastard Lord. For all we know, he may prefer lively and spirited playthings to those quickly broken and fit only to be 'discarded', if you follow. Until such time as he tires of the game, our best course may be to lie low but resist whenever attacked. As for the creature in there," he said with a wave at the barricaded door, "I believe that we should put him to rest sooner than later, even if not right this moment."

Spoiler
    Show

Kouran can heal anyone who's still wounded with Lay on Hands or Cure Wounds, or we can take an hour for a Short Rest to heal with hit dice.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Clover, who has been struggling to follow the conversation, finally speaks up, "Now that is an idea I can get behind! No time like the present and all!"

He then winks towards Ireena, "And worry not, love, back home where I come from these mix-ups happen all the time!"

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran holds up his hands, "Fine, fine, we can deal with it now, just let me get my family safe and grab a few things from my workshop that should help."

If the others agree to at least that, he will quickly depart and usher his wife and son home, stopping to grab his musket and activate his latest project.

When he returns, the smith is followed by a lumbering four legged figure. The houndlike stone gargoyle is ugly, weather worn, and cracked, its wings broken off and missing. Bands of iron encircle the chest and limbs to reinforce its form. But it moves well, and appears strong.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-09-18 at 06:28 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

"I have no problems with that. Your Gargoyle sounds to be just the thing we need to ensure you safety in the meantime. Please tell me, did you make this by yourself?"

25. - Top - End - #145

GnomeWizardGuy

While Kyran's off getting his family, Sprocketbox pulls out a little metal box with a luttle turnkey. He cranks it up and sets it on the floor, then backs away, seeming curious and at the same time a bit nervous.

"Anything but a squirrel... Anything but a sq... SQUIRREL!!!"

As the turnkey slowly rotates, the box seems to open up, but then it reconfigures itself instead, reshaping itself into the shape of an animal, most notably that of a squirrel with a pair of tiny sapphires for eyes. As the creature assembled itself, a look of horror spread across the gnome's features. The moment that it was finished, though the mage had ducked behind a pew, it honed instantly upon him and slipped under the pews straight towards him. With a squack, Sprocketbox jumped up and ran around the chapel in full panic with the mechanical squirrel in hot pursuit. Eventually, he was cornered, and the squirrel simply sat on a pew, looking expectantly at the mage as if waiting for something. This is where they stood as Kyran returned.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

"What in the...?" was all Kouran could manage at the proceedings. "Is your... automaton attacking you?"

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran eyes the strange situation with Sprocketbox with some puzzlement, but does not say anything.

In response to Drastia's question he states, "I did not carve the original stone work. Bastion here used to decorate this church before he was broken. Father Donovich was kind enough to allow me to give him new purpose. The rest of the work is mine, although unfortunately I'm going to have a hard time making anymore of these things, as much as I would like to have an army of them protecting this town. The primary source of animating force is a power stone I've never quite been able to replicate. My last attempt to do so almost blew my arm off."

"I suggest letting Bastion take the lead, he is tough, and perhaps more importantly a lot easier to bring back from destruction than the rest of us. Is everyone ready to do this?"

28. - Top - End - #148

GnomeWizardGuy

Sprocketbox continued to stare at the squirrel as he responded to Kouran.

"Er, I just really don't like squirrels. This is supposed to be able to change into any number of animals, random every time you use it. But for me, it always comes out as a squirrel. I tried rebuilding it once, but it just won't work otherwise without the squirrel option.

The gnome gets aggitated and makes shooing motions at the squirrel. "Why don't you go over there! Just leave me alone!"

Suddenly the squirrel perks up, it's head bobs in something that could be mistaken for a nod and then it scampers across the building to perch on a pew where it can still the gnome. For his part, Sprocketbox looked surprised. "Huh, well that's new..."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Eventually Drastia's magic subsides. The weather however malevolently decides that a stormy night is the appropriate choice.

Ambience. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E3zNHd936c

As Sprocketbox summons his mechanical guardian, he realizes a few changes. The squirrel's eyes never glowed red before, and its metallic structure seems a lot more skeletal and lot less smooth than the titan constructs it was based on. You noticed a few other changes to the new magic source you used. When previously your blink ability was a short hop through the void, it seems like you step through a foggy version of the Shadowlands. As you noticed earlier your mage hand appears undead.

Spoiler: Kyran
    Show
    As Kyran brings home his family, he notices the town being a slot more alive all of a sudden. Armed men and a few women are trying to form a militia. They are armed with axes, pitch forks and a few torches. As you inquire what has happened people start mentioning something about 'pesky adventurers' and 'the dead running around the streets'. Someone swore they saw old Miss Miller walk again who died fifteen something years ago. The people are confused and frightened. Some start to show aggression towards the visitors, especially that 'demonic goat person'.

Your wife sends you back with your construct in tow, and tells you not to worry about Adrian. He is unharmed but she will stay at his side this night to make sure the wound is not infected.

Spoiler: Everyone except Kyran
    Show
    As Kyran leaves and you start to relax a bit, Donovich seems to calm down. Doru also stops scratching after a few minutes. Eventually also Ireena calms down, and then pipes up. She wants to bring the fight to Strahd, while Donovich advises her that this is suicide. Opposing Strahd, even if done correctly, is a dangerous thing to do. You need allies, and to find what lies in store for you. Ireena grinds her teeth but eventually sits down again to think. As you compare your important skills, you realize only Orvin can temporarily protect you from Strahd's charm, and even if that fails, Strahd is both a vampire and an ancient being with possible other abilities that you are not aware off.

This counts as a short rest. You can refill short rest resources and roll for regaining hit points.

Spoiler: Hit Points
    Show
    I consider hit points a mix between fatigue/stamina and actual "meat". If you want to RP wounds you are perfectly welcome. What we are not doing is RPing "anime scratch marks" so combat only fatigues, and working with HP as only meat quickly becomes ridiculous, both in a normal game but especially in gothic horror.

30. - Top - End - #150

GnomeWizardGuy

Eventually Sprocketbox's curiosuty overcomes his fear and he starts talking to the squirrel, amazed he finds that it can somehow communicate back to him and obeys his commands. And at one point he even finds himself staring out from it's eyes, rather than his own. Somewhere during this time he summons a glass of water and drinks it, thinking nothing of the fact that it probably wasn't actually real. Nonetheless, once finished, he stand up, looking reinvigorated ald looks about. "Oh, I guess I should offer some to the rest of you. It's been a while..."

Show
    Sorry, had to throw another random WoW reference in there. He'll summon a glass for anyone who wants it, but I don't think it would qualify as hydration or anything. Just a bit of WoW fluffiness.
    Last edited by gargoyleking; 2019-09-22 at 03:21 PM.