New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Well I just discovered the Zelda Oracle games are on the Nintendo eShop, I've picked up Ages and will get Seasons for a linked game when I've finished because I remember I got the orange one as a kid thinking it was like Pokémon for some reason, because hey it was my first exposure to the series (I was pretty much the only Zelda fan around when growing up, first playing Seasons and then the original and LttP when they came out on GBA, and Twilight Princess on the Wii before I lost access to all Nintendo consoles until a few years ago).

This makes me incredibly happy, I loved OoS back in the day and didn't think to check because I remember the games not being that well recieved when I looked them up online. So while they aren't as good as LttP (or ALBW, which I'd adore if it wasn't for the 'renting items' mechanic) it's going to be nice going back to something I have incredibly fond memories of.

In other news, it's going to take about six months before my hair's at a decent length, anybody got tips to making it look good in the in-between period?
    The Oracle games are my first owned Zelda games, and some of my favorites. Straight up just, the best hand held Zeldo's in my opinion, baring things ported from N64 to 3DS.

I will think of better advice after work but; invest in nice hats.

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I don't know if I mentioned it here, but my grandfather died a few weeks ago. We weren't particularly close, but...

F
    *sends hugs*
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-21 at 03:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I don't know if I mentioned it here, but my grandfather died a few weeks ago. We weren't particularly close, but...

F
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

F
    *hugs* yeah that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    The Oracle games are my first owned Zelda games, and some of my favorites. Straight up just, the best hand held Zeldo's in my opinion, baring things ported from N64 to 3DS.
    Going back to them, the controls are incredibly good, much better than I remember them being. The shield being an item just makes sense, the items so far are as intuitive as I remember (got the sword, shield, shovel, seed satchel, and power bracelet so far), but considering how much I played Seasons it's going to take a bit of time not to expect to have the Seed Sliongshot (I hope that's in here) or Roc's Cape on hand. Also need to see if I can find the right horn if they're in the game, I like the swimmy mount the best.

Nice to see more changes in the overworld compared to Seasons as well, it's looking to be a fun ride.

I will think of better advice after work but; invest in nice hats.
    I'll need to find a decent hat shop then. I'm thinking a tricorn, a bobble hat for the winter months, a top hat, and the most outlandish feathered hat I can find.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #304

Going back to them, the controls are incredibly good, much better than I remember them being. The shield being an item just makes sense, the items so far are as intuitive as I remember (got the sword, shield, shovel, seed satchel, and power bracelet so far), but considering how much I played Seasons it's going to take a bit of time not to expect to have the Seed Sliongshot (I hope that's in here) or Roc's Cape on hand. Also need to see if I can find the right horn if they're in the game, I like the swimmy mount the best.

Nice to see more changes in the overworld compared to Seasons as well, it's looking to be a fun ride.

I'll need to find a decent hat shop then. I'm thinking a tricorn, a bobble hat for the winter months, a top hat, and the most outlandish feathered hat I can find.
    I forget how to get Dimitri's Flute in Ages, sorry. It may be the same way as in Seasons, where you do a silly dance minigame to get it.

I can say, sadly, the Seed Slingshot is not in Ages. There's something cooler . I'm pretty sure they both have Roc's Cape though. But it has been awhile!

Yeah, Ages being a past/present scenario leads to a bit more of a dynamic overworld than Season's Fall/Winter/Spring/Summer dynamic, because it's both more and less complicated. Seasons also having an entire secondary overworld due to Subrosia is likely related to this.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-21 at 04:45 PM.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: When the whole tavern is filled with Bards
    Show

Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

6. - Top - End - #306
    Barbarian in the Playground

F
    So sorry for you. My grandpa and I were very close and I wept off and on for about 2 decades. I was about 26 or so.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

I forget how to get Dimitri's Flute in Ages, sorry. It may be the same way as in Seasons, where you do a silly dance minigame to get it.

I can say, sadly, the Seed Slingshot is not in Ages. There's something cooler . I'm pretty sure they both have Roc's Cape though. But it has been awhile!

Yeah, Ages being a past/present scenario leads to a bit more of a dynamic overworld than Season's Fall/Winter/Spring/Summer dynamic, because it's both more and less complicated. Seasons also having an entire secondary overworld due to Subrosia is likely related to this.
    I just looked up Dimitri's Flute, apparently you get it via, shop which is good, I remember that mini game (my first encounter with Dimitri wad actually because I went back to see if you could redo that).

And I'm not sie you can hey cooler than shooting three seeds at once.

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Spoiler: When the whole tavern is filled with Bards
    Show

How's this different to a normal pub?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Anyone ever go to eat something while reading, and then realize they devoured the food instantly? I unpeelee a banana just a moment ago, got a text and somehow swallowed the entire banana by the time I unlocked my phone. I'm in public and hoping no one saw.
    I'm the exact opposite. I throw a glance upon the screen and an hour later I realise I still haven't touched my food. So I dutifully shove down a pair of bites, then throw a glance at the screen...

How's this different to a normal pub?
    Every patron is a man in the age bracket 25-35 with relatively high voices, and there's no barkeep?
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

9. - Top - End - #309
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

ALBW, which I'd adore if it wasn't for the 'renting items' mechanic
    Why should this being an option affect your experience? I played the entire game without renting a single item. You only need to rent if you want to play the dungeons out of order.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

10. - Top - End - #310

I just looked up Dimitri's Flute, apparently you get it via, shop which is good, I remember that mini game (my first encounter with Dimitri wad actually because I went back to see if you could redo that).

And I'm not sie you can hey cooler than shooting three seeds at once.
    In my defense I forgot the Seed Shooter is in Seasons and not Ages. I think Ages has something good for the slingshot upgrade since so much of the game involves using seeds for puzzles... unless I'm thinking about Seasons which was primarily combat based but did at times have puzzles.

Look I'll have a more concrete answer to this question when I do an LP of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Why should this being an option affect your experience? I played the entire game without renting a single item. You only need to rent if you want to play the dungeons out of order.
    What he means is that he prefers to find them in dungeons.

As for myself, I love the item system in A Link Between Worlds, since the item gauge being a thing plus all the items effectively being available at once if you've got the cash means you get to actually experiment with items that you'd tend not to normally. It's one of my favorite things in Zelda, taking my tools and rubbing them against things to find out what works and what doesn't. It's why in Skyward Sword I basically just kinda bopped everything with my beetle friend.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-21 at 06:02 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

As for myself, I love the item system in A Link Between Worlds, since the item gauge being a thing plus all the items effectively being available at once if you've got the cash means you get to actually experiment with items that you'd tend not to normally. It's one of my favorite things in Zelda, taking my tools and rubbing them against things to find out what works and what doesn't. It's why in Skyward Sword I basically just kinda bopped everything with my beetle friend.
    You just reminded me of the bomb arrows in Link's Awakening, which made me smile.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You just reminded me of the bomb arrows in Link's Awakening, which made me smile.
    Still never as good as path-directed explosive mouse friends from Phantom Hourglass.

In other news: Looking forwards to tonight, because I'm getting to go see Weird Al live. I'm not normally a concert girl... but I can make an exception in this case.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

Are the words "well" and "actually" monosyllabic?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Are the words "well" and "actually" monosyllabic?
    "Well" is I believe, actually isn't. At least not how I say it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

15. - Top - End - #315

I prefer to find them in dungeons. I found them in dungeons. I didn't once rent an item.

It's a completely optional system, you do not need to use it at all unless you want to break from the more linear sequence of exploration.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

16. - Top - End - #316

I prefer to find them in dungeons. I found them in dungeons. I didn't once rent an item.

It's a completely optional system, you do not need to use it at all unless you want to break from the more linear sequence of exploration.
    N...

No.

A Link Between Worlds does not have that as a function by it's very nature.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"I'm so bored. I'm watching actual static on TV right now."
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-08-21 at 07:47 PM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    "I'm so bored. I'm watching actual static on TV right now."
    Gee I wonder why you're bored.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

19. - Top - End - #319

N...

No.

A Link Between Worlds does not have that as a function by it's very nature.
    What are you talking about?

I finished A Link Between Worlds 100% without renting a single item. Ever.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Gee I wonder why you're bored.
    You do realize that I was being sarcastic right?

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

What are you talking about?

I finished A Link Between Worlds 100% without renting a single item. Ever.
    Just to be clear:

Buying counts as renting for the purpose of this discussion, right?

I've never played it and I don't know who to believe.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-08-21 at 07:55 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

22. - Top - End - #322

Just to be clear:

Why would buying count as renting?

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Just to be clear:

It does not. To beat the game, assuming no glitches to skip things, you need to have all of the rentable items (though not necessarily all at once). Whether you bought or rented it doesn't matter, but each dungeon needs a different rentable item to get in, and no dungeon is optional.

Renting is cheaper, but you lose the item when you die, and you can't upgrade it. Upgrades are never required but are generally nice to have.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2019-08-21 at 08:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    You do realize that I was being sarcastic right?
    Yes Bart, as much as I personally dislike the trend of using blue text to denote sarcasm, I am aware of it and I am not colorblind.

You realize I was being snarky too, right?
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Yes Bart, as much as I personally dislike the trend of using blue text to denote sarcasm, I am aware of it and I am not colorblind.

You realize I was being snarky too, right?
    No I didn't realize it thank you very much.

26. - Top - End - #326

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Still never as good as path-directed explosive mouse friends from Phantom Hourglass.

In other news: Looking forwards to tonight, because I'm getting to go see Weird Al live. I'm not normally a concert girl... but I can make an exception in this case.
    Fun fact! I've danced onstage with Weird Al during a concert in Montgomery. The meet n greet before didn't happen but we got to get the small one after. Dude is super kind and down to earth.

I thought they weren't in dungeons and you had to get them from Ravio?

27. - Top - End - #327

I thought they weren't in dungeons and you had to get them from Ravio?
    There are items you find, and there are items you can (optionally) rent or buy.

You've always been able to buy some of the items/item upgrades in Zelda, and some have been ones you find. This is no different, you can just choose to rent if you want.

28. - Top - End - #328

You've always been able to buy some of the items/item upgrades in Zelda, and some have been ones you find. This is no different, you can just choose to rent if you want.
    It's just, I don't remember being able to get the sand rod any other way (or being able to control sand any other way), for example.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

The difference is, the rentable items in ALBW are of the sort that gives some significant new capability and are required to get past some obstacles. A few games have one or two of those as purchases (the wooden shield and Zora and Goron tunics in OoT, the slingshot in TP), but almost always they're found in dungeons. Purchased items are more often nice-to-haves – a fishing rod, heart container, larger storage capacity for one consumable or another, potions, and so on.

ALBW has every dungeon (after the first section of the game) focus on the use of a single item, you have to have that item to get in the front door, and all (or nearly all?) of those items are exclusive to Ravio's shop, as far as I know.

(As a side effect, no dungeon is designed under the assumption of you having any item other than the one you need to have to get in, and all of the rentable items except the Sand Rod are available from the start, so the difficulty curve is pretty flat. Even the dungeon that needs the Sand Rod doesn't assume you have anything else, because even though you needed it earlier, if it was a rental you might have lost it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #330

It's just, I don't remember being able to get the sand rod any other way (or being able to control sand any other way), for example.
    The sand rod is given to you as a "rental" (for free), it's taken away at the end of the sequence. You have to rent or buy it after that to continue using it.