New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

I don't make tea often, and I mix it with milk less often, but on those rare occasions when I do.

How exactly are you supposed to put the milk in the cup before the teabag without ruining the brewing process? Do you use boiling milk or something?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I don't make tea often, and I mix it with milk less often, but on those rare occasions when I do.

How exactly are you supposed to put the milk in the cup before the teabag without ruining the brewing process? Do you use boiling milk or something?
    If you are fancy you get a milk steamer, otherwise you heat milk on the stove until it steams and then add it in. Usually you add the milk after you remove the teabag though I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Usually you add the milk after you remove the teabag though I believe.
    Yes. That's exactly what I do... but apparently that makes me a "great enemy" or something.

EDIT: To be clear: we are all talking about brewing in-cup, right? Is that what everyone, including SZbNAhL, has been discussing? I don't want to end up in a Who's-on-first situation.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-08-27 at 06:16 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    I enjoy the implication that the agricultural advisor is intended for use across the BBC and just happens to visit the Archers offices more regularly. Somewhere in the Poldark writing room they're sitting around saying "where the devil's Steve? We can't do this scything scene without him!".
    I mean, he probably also visits Gardener's Question Time during his lunch break...

The Scottish? The French? The Cornish? Northerners? Wait ... surely you don't mean the great enemy. They whose name can never be spoken aloud lest it corrupt the very notion of speech itself.
    Spoiler: I cannot even bear to type it unspoilered
    Show
    People who put the tea in before the milk.
    I mean, I thought we exiled all of those people to the colonies. We had to stop the spread or else they might stay putting on sugar before picking up the pot.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to sneak behind the lines of the Scottish/Northern/French alliance, I'm dying for a shag and creme brulee.

EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Milk in first is specifically the rule when using a teapot, when brewing in the cup there's no right way. Which I mean 'put the milk in first when brewing in a cup'.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-08-27 at 06:27 PM.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Okay so here's a random deep cut from hell.

Like a billion years ago there was this great new cartoon animator search. I only remember three shows from it;

1: a super hero, vaguely megaman styled, who attached two celphones to his face to become a hero. One of the test episodes was him fighting an alien robot rabbit thing trying to take over Earth and he blowed him up while saying "Silly rabbit, Earth is for humans!

2: A show about a timber wolf trying to do timber wolf things, but with a tic of saying what he is... with the dire consequence of every time he says timber a tree falls on him. Loon Tunes esque.

3: The George of the Jungle TV Show that actually exists now in real life. Even though I can find no evidence supporting this claim online at all.

My question is um, does anyone else remember this? I wanna watch that first one again. Also I want to prove these were all real.
    I remember George of the Jungle. It was a long time ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_of_the_Jungle

I think I saw repeats with only George, maybe in some other show.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Given that England invented Heavy Metal twice, I think the US could stand to be more original...
    Likely missed me saying it, but the first actual heavy metal band was Steppenwolf, a Canadian-American band

Who invented Heavy Metal?

Are you testing me?

Stepenwolf?!

Nope, "Born to be Wild" wasn't till '68

The Brits?

Good contenders with The Kinks, and The Yardbirds, but for a heavy sound I'd nominate San Francisco 1967 and Blue Cheer and their version of "Summertime Blues,

but we can go earlier: 1965 Detroit, Michigan and The MC5's "Black to Comm"

(no visuals, but better '65 audio here,

by '68 they performed it like this)

You want heavy?

Check out The Stooges, also from Detroit, and their 1969 recording of "I Wanna be Your Dog"

Can we go earlier still?

Sure!

Link Wray in 1958 with "Rumble"

Even earlier?

Muddy Waters' invented electricity, check out "Rollin' and Tumblin from 1950!

Earlier than that?

Robert Johnson "Me and the Devil Blues in 1937.

Though I suppose we can credit the Brits with "gallows pole, since it was written down by them in the 19th century.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yes. That's exactly what I do... but apparently that makes me a "great enemy" or something.

EDIT: To be clear: we are all talking about brewing in-cup, right? Is that what everyone, including SZbNAhL, has been discussing? I don't want to end up in a Who's-on-first situation.
    Somehow I missed the context there. I have no idea how you use milk while brewing in a cup, I use a teakettle and teapot like a civilized person :P

Honestly I prefer drinks on the tepid side, so I would use cool milk in that case so the tea doesn't scald my mouth. I don't even drink my coffee hot.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

You use a teapot.

Spoiler: The British tea method
    Show
    1. Tea into pot.
    2. Water into pot.
    3. Milk into cup.
    4. Brewed tea from pot to cup.

For comparison:
    Spoiler: The American tea method
    Show
    1. Dump tea into Boston Harbour.
    2. Pollute until the oceans boil.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Their point is that there generally aren't 'diet' versioms of alcoholic drinks, so if the Ginger ale everyonecwas talking about is in fact an alcoholic drink (it's not, it's just a soda), then he's surprised there's a 'diet' version.
    Have you not heard of lite beer?
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You use a teapot.

Spoiler: The British tea method
    Show
    1. Tea into pot.
    2. Water into pot.
    3. Milk into cup.
    4. Brewed tea from pot to cup.

For comparison:
    Spoiler: The American tea method
    Show
    1. Dump tea into Boston Harbour.
    2. Pollute until the oceans boil.
    British Method:
    1. Pretend appropriated cultural practices are indigenous.
    2. Look down on other cultures for not having appropriated enough.

I would be salty too if my indigenous foods were warm beer, mutton and peas porridge :P

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    British Method:
    1. Pretend appropriated cultural practices are indigenous.
    2. Look down on other cultures for not having appropriated enough.

I would be salty too if my indigenous foods were warm beer, mutton and peas porridge :P
    Guess somebody doesn't like apple pie (also ale is supposed to be warm).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I remember George of the Jungle. It was a long time ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_of_the_Jungle

I think I saw repeats with only George, maybe in some other show.
    I know that show exists! Everyone who has read this has said the same thing regarding this show when I tried really hard to make that point clear.

I mean that there is no evidence of The Contest, which is what I wanna find again. That and the cell phone show.

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Who invented Heavy Metal?
    My point was that the term Hevy Metal wasn't first used until Steppenwolf's Born To Be Wild, but go off I guess. I needed the music rec.

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Have you not heard of lite beer?
    I don't think that really classifies as diet beer, personally?

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Guess somebody doesn't like apple pie (also ale is supposed to be warm).
    Apple Pie was eaten without sugar or a crust before the New World. Keep your roasted apples in a coffin :P

14. - Top - End - #584
    Barbarian in the Playground

Let's see ... 9+6=15, 15*16=240 ... you're 248? Either I'm missing a joke, one of us sucks at base conversion or the US healthcare system is much better than I've been lead to believe.
    I am of Indonesian blood by my Father.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Okay so here's a random deep cut from hell.

Like a billion years ago there was this great new cartoon animator search. I only remember three shows from it;

1: a super hero, vaguely megaman styled, who attached two celphones to his face to become a hero. One of the test episodes was him fighting an alien robot rabbit thing trying to take over Earth and he blowed him up while saying "Silly rabbit, Earth is for humans!

2: A show about a timber wolf trying to do timber wolf things, but with a tic of saying what he is... with the dire consequence of every time he says timber a tree falls on him. Loon Tunes esque.

3: The George of the Jungle TV Show that actually exists now in real life. Even though I can find no evidence supporting this claim online at all.

My question is um, does anyone else remember this? I wanna watch that first one again. Also I want to prove these were all real.
    TTTTTIIIIMMMMBEEERRR: https://youtu.be/0dFJ1gw3F4E

(I just assumed it was a Chuck Jones cartoon).

As for the first one, I recall a few cyber themed shows that I may spitball some names and see if anything interesting crops up.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

...My point was that the term Hevy Metal wasn't first used until Steppenwolf's Born To Be Wild, but go off I guess. I needed the music rec....

My apologies.

You're right.

Speaking of music...

...since I just discovered that one of my wife's favorite bands of the '90's Lush covered two songs of one of my favorite bands of the '70's Wire here's Lush performing "Mannequin in 1996,

and the 1977 original by Wire.

And here's Lush performing "Outdoor Miner" in 1992,

and the 1979 original by Wire.

(and as a nod to my earlier punkier self here's 12XU recorded by Minor Threat in 1981,

and here's the 1977 original by Wire).

17. - Top - End - #587

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    TTTTTIIIIMMMMBEEERRR: https://youtu.be/0dFJ1gw3F4E

(I just assumed it was a Chuck Jones cartoon).

As for the first one, I recall a few cyber themed shows that I may spitball some names and see if anything interesting crops up.
    This is the correct show but still no sign of that contest, and the mystery cell phone power suit man.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

This is the correct show but still no sign of that contest, and the mystery cell phone power suit man.
    ....that's what I get for mobile forum searching at 11:00 at night.

20. - Top - End - #590

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    ....that's what I get for mobile forum searching at 11:00 at night.
    I mean it helps, don't get me wrong! But I really wanna find that contest, so I can find that cell phone sow, and I can find no evidence of it.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I mean it helps, don't get me wrong! But I really wanna find that contest, so I can find that cell phone sow, and I can find no evidence of it.
    Clarification of tone: I read the checklist, so I completely missed the preamble. Really more :smallembarrassed: than anything else.

I would potentially start seeing if WB had such a contest, given that first short.
    Last edited by Mith; 2019-08-28 at 08:22 AM.

22. - Top - End - #592

Also, now I'm awake and not thinking this through at the end of the day, we have at least a date of 'Before 2001' as that's when the Timberwolf cartoon started airing.

Edit: or maybe it was 2002?
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2019-08-28 at 01:37 PM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

The doctor says I have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, but not at a problematic stage and I can take a bit of time losing weight (he'd be happy with a kilo every other month or a bit less, he agreed that a kilo every other week is an okay goal).

And I need ideas for things to do this Sunday that 1) require leaving the house, 2) might help me meet people, and 3) aren't rock climbing.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

24. - Top - End - #594

PirateCaptain

And I need ideas for things to do this Sunday that 1) require leaving the house, 2) might help me meet people, and 3) aren't rock climbing.
    Have you considered joining a local walking group? Good light excercise, interaction with other humans but only a few at a time, low-noise environment, very low chance of rock-climbing.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Troll in the Playground

Good God, 10 pages since I was last here!

How's people? I'm a stress ball. Well, a stressed out ball. I got three days to finish an assignment that I've started before, but have seemed to lose the file for. There goes hours of work that I need to speed up through. Whatever, I just wanna finish the damn curse!
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

26. - Top - End - #596

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Good God, 10 pages since I was last here!

How's people? I'm a stress ball. Well, a stressed out ball. I got three days to finish an assignment that I've started before, but have seemed to lose the file for. There goes hours of work that I need to speed up through. Whatever, I just wanna finish the damn curse!
    You can do it Finn, I'm cheering for you! *sends anti stress waves*

I'm a weird bundle of emotions because work is terrible for Not Me, so it's a lot of second hand stress that is impacting me super hard, but also I'm re-watching Gurren Lagann with a friend so that rules and kicks ass. So I'm in a bit of a kerfuffle, humanity wise.

But yeah, good luck Finn. You're kick that assignment to pieces! If you want to look for the file I recommend Recycling Bin or seeing if it may have accidental been moved, that happens to me sometimes. Either way, you can do this!

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think that really classifies as diet beer, personally?
    The entire point of lite beer is that it has less calories. That's the whole reason for it's existence, although now people tend to buy it because it's cheaper, but the initial marketing campaigns for it were all about calories and being better for your health and what-not.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

Monday I was bright eyed, bushy tailed and ready to kick my final semester's classes right in the ass.

Tuesday I felt like a train wreck for no apparent reason and today isn't much better.

Lack of energy comes and goes for me irrespective of how much I work. Don't know why.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #599

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Monday I was bright eyed, bushy tailed and ready to kick my final semester's classes right in the ass.

Tuesday I felt like a train wreck for no apparent reason and today isn't much better.

Lack of energy comes and goes for me irrespective of how much I work. Don't know why.
    It's the depression, probably.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Barbarian in the Playground

Repelling? you get to go outside, breath fresh air, it is not rock climbing, but rather the other direction and you get to meet people like paramedics, doctors, nurses, physical therapists, hospital bill collection services, .. .. ..

On a more serious note, sorry all, I am going outside. The weather is just perfect and I am not going to waste it.
    Last edited by Insane Jeenyus; 2019-08-28 at 04:56 PM.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here